Adrian Peterson interested in Bucs

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Adrian Peterson interested in Bucs

Postby threadkiller » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:37 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
terrytate wrote:

So are you saying you need some tape on AP?

No. What I'm saying is

Bootz2004 wrote:Why do we need a RB who is 32, played just 3 games due to a serious knee injury and oh by the way averaged 1.9 yards a carry when he did play? Yes he's a HOF back because he had a hall of fame career. Those times are gone.

He must have been Godlike in those agility and explosion drills when he was a great NFL RB.
threadkiller

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:55 pm

Peterson will visit the Patriots tomorrow.
Miller4Prez64

Postby paco74 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:08 pm

If Peterson goes to to the Patriots and has a good year...not 2000 yards....not all world...but solid 1,100 rushing, 250+ receiving, and score let's say 10-12 times total...Brady gets 6.

I LOVE my Bucs. Spent my first four years of watching football in MA cheering on the Patriots, but if the Bucs can't go on to win it, I want Brady to set the bar so high out of reach that his SB record won't be eclipse within my lifetime...and I'm only 42. Yeah...I said only lol.

Haters, go!
paco74

Postby BucaRican » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:16 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
VauntedTampa2 wrote:He said the same about d Jax before we signed him..

What does that have to do with Peterson? Why do we need a RB who is 32, played just 3 games due to a serious knee injury and oh by the way averaged 1.9 yards a carry when he did play? Yes he's a HOF back because he had a hall of fame career. Those times are gone.

Because he is better at his age than anyone on this roster at RB. Because he is better than 90% of the running backs in this league. Because you really only have to give him a 2 yr deal. But hey we only lost 3 Rbs last year to injury so lets worry about injuries. But hey we only lost our starting RB to injuries and to PEDs.

So Dr. Bootz book to football:

1: Don't worry about backup QBs you should never consider injuries or think your Qb is going to get hurt.

2: A guy that has proven his self every time he has faced a challenge is not worth the risk of a 2 yr contract while we find the future back while adding depth, it is a bad idea.

Not sure I like this Dr. Bootz at all.
BucaRican

Postby terrytate » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:35 pm

BucaRican wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
What does that have to do with Peterson? Why do we need a RB who is 32, played just 3 games due to a serious knee injury and oh by the way averaged 1.9 yards a carry when he did play? Yes he's a HOF back because he had a hall of fame career. Those times are gone.

Because he is better at his age than anyone on this roster at RB. Because he is better than 90% of the running backs in this league. Because you really only have to give him a 2 yr deal. But hey we only lost 3 Rbs last year to injury so lets worry about injuries. But hey we only lost our starting RB to injuries and to PEDs.

1: Don't worry about backup QBs you should never consider injuries or think your Qb is going to get hurt.

2: A guy that has proven his self every time he has faced a challenge is not worth the risk of a 2 yr contract while we find the future back while adding depth, it is a bad idea.

No, because we have 1 back that has shown he has the potential to produce big when not hurt. Another that is a a good 3rd down/receiving back and a 3rd back that did great work as the backup. Add to that the near certainty that we draft a back in the first two days of the draft that can carry the load in case of injury to the dismissal of Martin.

I do believe that AP will produce for someone this year. If he goes to the Pats, I expect a 1300+ yard season out of him against defenses keyed against Brady. His career is at the end though and we are building for a sustained run with a young roster. Let him chase his ring, we'll be ok without him.
terrytate

Postby threadkiller » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:45 am

terrytate wrote:
BucaRican wrote:

No, because we have 1 back that has shown he has the potential to produce big when not hurt. Another that is a a good 3rd down/receiving back and a 3rd back that did great work as the backup. Add to that the near certainty that we draft a back in the first two days of the draft that can carry the load in case of injury to the dismissal of Martin.

I do believe that AP will produce for someone this year. If he goes to the Pats, I expect a 1300+ yard season out of him against defenses keyed against Brady. His career is at the end though and we are building for a sustained run with a young roster. Let him chase his ring, we'll be ok without him.

AP has shown the same potential to produce elite results as recently as Doug Martin. AP has also done it more consistently over the last 5 years (3 good season to 2 for Martin). AP is also immediately available and potentially eligible for the entire 16 game schedule, while Doug is definitely out to start the season. We have evidence that AP is in good physical condition and motivated to play football. Doug has been in rehab, we have no idea his physical condition (after another injury plagued season), nor do we know his mental status or motivation level. I have no idea why any fan would rather go into 2017 planning for Doug Martin to be their feature back ahead of Adrian Peterson.
threadkiller

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:21 am

threadkiller wrote:
terrytate wrote:

AP has shown the same potential to produce elite results as recently as Doug Martin. AP has also done it more consistently over the last 5 years (3 good season to 2 for Martin). AP is also immediately available and potentially eligible for the entire 16 game schedule, while Doug is definitely out to start the season. We have evidence that AP is in good physical condition and motivated to play football. Doug has been in rehab, we have no idea his physical condition (after another injury plagued season), nor do we know his mental status or motivation level. I have no idea why any fan would rather go into 2017 planning for Doug Martin to be their feature back ahead of Adrian Peterson.

I love how you use the phrase "another injury plagued season to describe Martin while completely ignoring the fact that Peterson missed MORE games due to injury last year than Martin. When people want to make a point they have no issues contradicting themselves.
Bootz2004

Postby threadkiller » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:44 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
threadkiller wrote:

I love how you use the phrase "another injury plagued season to describe Martin while completely ignoring the fact that Peterson missed MORE games due to injury last year than Martin. When people want to make a point they have no issues contradicting themselves.

I amplified that thought beyond the quote and provided statistics and opinion to back it up. Both have had recent injury plagued seasons. My opinion is AP projects much better for 2017 for the reasons I stated.

Also, how is stating Doug Martin is injury prone contradicting myself? Have I stated elsewhere that Doug Martin is not injury prone? I do not recall having (or certainly posting) that opinion.
threadkiller

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:56 am

threadkiller wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I amplified that thought beyond the quote and provided statistics and opinion to back it up. Both have had recent injury plagued seasons. My opinion is AP projects much better for 2017 for the reasons I stated.

Also, how is stating Doug Martin is injury prone contradicting myself? Have I stated elsewhere that Doug Martin is not injury prone? I do not recall having (or certainly posting) that opinion.

Statistics? 2016 Martin played more games and had better numbers across the board. 2015 they finished 1 & 2 in rushing, both named 1st team All Pro. 2014 Martin played 11 games, AP 1 because of off field stuff. 2013 AP had a great year, Martin not so much. You have to go back all the way to 2013 when AP was 28 to find a season he produced significantly more than Martin. And you think that somehow "projects" to a better season in 2017? Please.
Bootz2004

Postby Rocker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:57 am

Bootz2004 wrote:When people want to make a point they have no issues contradicting themselves.

Pure gold.
Rocker

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:30 am

No to AP..

No to Dougie as well..

'Nuff said..Case closed..
Super K

Postby threadkiller » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
threadkiller wrote:

Statistics? 2016 Martin played more games and had better numbers across the board. 2015 they finished 1 & 2 in rushing, both named 1st team All Pro. 2014 Martin played 11 games, AP 1 because of off field stuff. 2013 AP had a great year, Martin not so much. You have to go back all the way to 2013 when AP was 28 to find a season he produced significantly more than Martin. And you think that somehow "projects" to a better season in 2017? Please.

I gave several factors why I project AP significantly ahead of Doug for 2017.

Looking back to form a baseline of performance from prior seasons is important. As is focusing most sharply on the most recent performance. That part of the analysis of both players is similar, especially when we focus on recent trends. Both players have recently put up elite seasons when healthy, and bad seasons when not healthy. So, excluding other factors, it's reasonable to assume both are capable of elite play when healthy. Now add other factors back in. Have either declined physically (well, Bootz?)? Looks like AP is in excellent condition right now preparing for the upcoming season. I have no idea what kind of condition Doug Martin is in right now, but he has never in his life been the athletic/physical specimen that Adrian Peterson is right now. We have reason to believe that AP is personally motivated and excited to play football in 2017. Again, there is not that same information about where Doug's head and heart are going into 2017. Most importantly when projecting for the 2017 season, Doug Martin is ineligible for almost a quarter of it while AP is available from week 1.

Now detail for me the reasons you project Doug Martin to have a more successful 2017 NFL season.
threadkiller

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:46 pm

So speculation and an Instagram video of non football activity is reason enough to believe AP is poised for a better 2017 than Doug Martin at age 32. Got it.
Bootz2004

Postby threadkiller » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:So speculation and an Instagram video of non football activity is reason enough to believe AP is poised for a better 2017 than Doug Martin at age 32. Got it.

That's an even more casual response than your simpleton's projection of 2017 based solely on results of their 2016 seasons.
threadkiller

Postby Naismith » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Speculation is the only reason to think Doug Martin will have a better season than AP as well. I would definitely go Doug > AP but it's not like any of it is a slam dunk.
Naismith

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:22 pm

threadkiller wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:So speculation and an Instagram video of non football activity is reason enough to believe AP is poised for a better 2017 than Doug Martin at age 32. Got it.

That's an even more casual response than your simpleton's projection of 2017 based solely on results of their 2016 seasons.

Your entire position is casual. It's based entirely off of an Instagram video and production from 4 seasons ago.
Bootz2004

Postby threadkiller » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:28 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
threadkiller wrote:

Your entire position is casual. It's based entirely off of an Instagram video and production from 4 seasons ago.

Try to keep up, it's elite production from two years ago by both players. I'm pretty sure you were the one who pointed out that the two backs we're talking about were first team All Pro in 2015.
threadkiller

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:31 pm

threadkiller wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Try to keep up, it's elite production from two years ago by both players. I'm pretty sure you were the one who pointed out that the two backs we're talking about were first team All Pro in 2015.

If that be the case then why point out the fact that 1 of them had an injury plagued season last year? If you're going off of 2015, why complain if you already have 1 of the 2 of them?
Bootz2004

Postby threadkiller » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:50 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
threadkiller wrote:

If that be the case then why point out the fact that 1 of them had an injury plagued season last year? If you're going off of 2015, why complain if you already have 1 of the 2 of them?

Because he did and it fits his NFL pattern much more so than AP.

I would rather have the one I think will have a better 2017. If the draft falls in a way that I want either.

My participation here has been to talk up AP more than rip down Doug, though I did throw in the jab about Doug's availability/ability to produce through dings. There are other speculative factors I hold against Doug that make Adrian more appealing to me, but you don't seem interested in my speculations.
threadkiller

Postby MJW » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:01 pm

He's missed 28 of his last 48 games.
He averaged 1.9 YPC last year.
He doesn't play third down, and he doesn't catch passes.
He just turned 32 years old.
He's played in 16 games once in the last four years.
He's also developed a fumbling problem in his old age, with 7 in last 364 carries (Doug, who we've killed for fumbling, as 7 in 1,102 career carries.)

Boy, this thread is lost in the weeds.

AD is not what we need. We got our heady veteran for the offense, except he can still play. We don't need to add AD and build a Vince Young dream team. We need better run-blocking and to find the right balance between Sims, Quizz, and a rook.
MJW

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:06 pm

STILL debating which is the prettier pig Doug or AD..

Let it go fellas..
Super K

Postby threadkiller » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:11 pm

I definitely don't want our prospect targeting general manager going into this draft feeling like he has to fill out the running back position group with the week 1 feature back for our offense. That is my worst case scenario. Would rather roll into week 1 with Sims, Rodgers, and Barber.

Completely agree with the thought that our offense of line should be a higher focus. I would definitely prioritize that above Doug Martin or Adrian Peterson.
threadkiller

Postby MJW » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Super K wrote:STILL debating which is the prettier pig Doug or AD..

Let it go fellas..

I find it odd that we've denigrated Doug THIS much in a year.

The suspension was incredibly stupid, and the way it was handled (by him and the team) was embarrassing. Okay. That said, JAB was suspended four games. Kwon was suspended four games. Akeem Spence got a game in 2015. Nobody cared much. There was a little, "Oh, crap" with Kwon, but 99% of the talk about him is about how good he was when he played, and how we're already worried we might not be able to pay him in two years.

As for his crap play last year, all our backs looked like crap, except Quizz. Our run blocking sucked. Left guard was a black hole. Hawley was Hawley. Dotson regressed IMHO. I don't think Doug forgot how to play any more than I think Sims forgot how to play.
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:25 pm

MJW wrote:

Let it go fellas..

The suspension was incredibly stupid, and the way it was handled (by him and the team) was embarrassing. Okay. That said, JAB was suspended four games. Kwon was suspended four games. Akeem Spence got a game in 2015. Nobody cared much. There was a little, "Oh, crap" with Kwon, but 99% of the talk about him is about how good he was when he played, and how we're already worried we might not be able to pay him in two years.

As for his crap play last year, all our backs looked like crap, except Quizz. Our run blocking sucked. Left guard was a black hole. Hawley was Hawley. Dotson regressed IMHO. I don't think Doug forgot how to play any more than I think Sims forgot how to play.

??
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby MJW » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:29 pm

Buc2 wrote:
MJW wrote:

??

Seems like OBP could have been more proactive in dealing with him and the looming suspension, and could have done a better job collecting and responding to the information. It should be a two-game suspension right now.
MJW

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:38 pm

MJW wrote:

Let it go fellas..

Doug has sucked 3 out of 5 years..

THIS was the year for him to show that his bad years were the flukes, not the good ones.. instead he underwhelms (again), gets hurt (again) and gets himself suspended..

And Quizz and did perform better..Much better in fact..This after we signed him off his couch and he had to put down his PS4 and/or Cheetos..

**** him..Time to move on..
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:40 pm

MJW wrote:

Let it go fellas..

He's pounding the table for Cook.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Caradoc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:02 pm

MJW wrote:
Buc2 wrote:
??

Seems like OBP could have been more proactive in dealing with him and the looming suspension, and could have done a better job collecting and responding to the information. It should be a two-game suspension right now.

The team really didn't have any say in how this was handled, that's up to the player.

Aside from that, Doug has played poorly in 3 of 5 years. His first season was, while certainly a good one, not as great as is made out by many Buc fans, It was skewed by a boatload of touches, and a couple of exceptional games. And now that we know about the PED, you have to worry whether he can perform without it. It certainly puts an asterisk on 2015. We're basically in the same position with Doug now as we were heading into 2015, maybe even worse - unsure who the real Doug is, a dominant feature back or a complete nonfactor. And now his injury concerns are even larger and a potential longer suspension is thrown on top of even that.
Caradoc

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
MJW wrote:

Judging by his comments in my mock, not at all.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:16 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Judging by his comments in my mock, not at all.

I think MBs comment was tongue in cheek...

I've been on the "No to Cook" band wagon for some time now..

That being said, if I was a betting man, my money's on Cook to be our 1st round pick..
Super K

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions