Adrian Peterson interested in Bucs

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Adrian Peterson interested in Bucs

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:59 pm

Naismith wrote:I didn't say he would go in the first. I predicted he would go in the second, ahead of Cook and explained what I was basing my prediction of a Cook "slide" on. I also ranked my personal top three RBs in the post you quoted. And I wouldn't say it was random. I'd say it's a prediction based on reading a ton of draft info from various reputable people that cover the draft.

hey by all means, those are your opinions to make, off whatever information you choose to base them off of. just going to have to say I disagree with all of it.

but good lord go watch a highlight video of kamara you'll see what I'm saying lol
beardmcdoug

Postby Super K » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:06 pm

Naismith, pretty obvious you dislike Cook/are down on him for some reason..

Just trying to figure why and what it is...

Because in regards to his play, you have him being the 4th RB taken..craziness...

And it can't be off the field stuff, because your own personal rankings have Mixon ahead of him..

Soooo....
Super K

Postby Naismith » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:38 pm

Super K wrote:Naismith, pretty obvious you dislike Cook/are down on him for some reason..

Why is that obvious? I have him ranked as the third best RB in the draft. I'm just stating my opinion on where I think he'll be drafted based on what I see the people discussing. I think between the off field concerns, injury history and fumble problems (never mind the positional value), he'll slip a little more than people are expecting. I don't think he's a first round lock like a lot of people assume.

As far as fit is concern, I don't think he's the type of running back that the Bucs want. Again, this has nothing to do with my opinion on his ability. I just think they want more power out of their backs, more up the gut running.
Naismith

Postby Super K » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:46 pm

Naismith wrote:
Super K wrote:Naismith, pretty obvious you dislike Cook/are down on him for some reason..

Why is that obvious? I have him ranked as the third best RB in the draft. I'm just stating my opinion on where I think he'll be drafted based on what I see the people discussing. I think between the off field concerns, injury history and fumble problems (never mind the positional value), he'll slip a little more than people are expecting. I don't think he's a first round lock like a lot of people assume.

As far as fit is concern, I don't think he's the type of running back that the Bucs want. Again, this has nothing to do with my opinion on his ability. I just think they want more power out of their backs, more up the gut running.

Fair enough...

BTW, couldn't agree with you more in that Cook is not the right RB for us..

I've watched every college snap Cook has taken..the guy is a Phenom...but he's not the kind of RB whom makes people miss in backfield (blitzes, missed assignments, piss poor line) nor is he a move the pile guy..

Give him a crease and he'll take it 80..problem is, we don't create creases..

He'd be ideal in a zone blocking system...
Super K

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:47 pm

Vegas has us as the favs
Heisenberg

Postby Kress » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:55 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
but good lord go watch a highlight video of kamara you'll see what I'm saying lol

Just as a random note, everyone looks good in a highlight video. That's why they're "highlights."
Kress

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:42 am

Kress wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

Just as a random note, everyone looks good in a highlight video. That's why they're "highlights."

Lmao I know that's my point - even in his highlight videos he looks terrible
beardmcdoug

Postby Caradoc » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:51 am

Fournette is the best back in this class and it is't close, I'm not sure what people are smoking having Cook ahead of him. This year was an off year but I chalk that up to injury.

Personally I'd rather have McCaffery over Cook. More dangerous all around. Not a bellcow, but you have an elite weapon, matchup nightmare.
Caradoc

Postby Naismith » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:55 am

This is what I was talking about regarding Dalvin Cook:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler notes FSU RB Dalvin Cook has three previous shoulder surgeries to his name dating back to high school.

We all know Cook is extremely talented, but the medicals at the NFL Combine are crucial for his evaluation. Shoulder injuries have caused other ball carriers to drop in the draft, namely Chris Polk and Lamar Miller. Cook has played through upper and lower body ailments over the last few seasons, arguably carrying the Seminoles offense in that time. He has balance to win after contact and obvious big play skills.

Between these concerns, red flags with off the field issues, depth of RB class and positional value when it comes to the draft, I can see why teams would talk themselves out of him in the first round.
Naismith

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:02 pm

Caradoc wrote:Fournette is the best back in this class and it is't close, I'm not sure what people are smoking having Cook ahead of him. This year was an off year but I chalk that up to injury.

Personally I'd rather have McCaffery over Cook. More dangerous all around. Not a bellcow, but you have an elite weapon, matchup nightmare.

Agree about Fournette - guy is just a fuckin thug out there

:54
1:00
1:22 :lol:
1:33 :shock:
1:53
3:30 :shock:

lmao
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Fournette isn't going to 'thug' NFL defenders. Everyone in the NFL is like the Bama defense and they dominated Fournette.

I'm not trying to knock the kid, I think he's a hell of a RB prospect. I just think he physically matured quicker than most throughout HS and even in college. But now ALL of his competition are grown MEN as well so the physical advantages he's enjoyed to this point are going to occur FAR less often. It's not he's going to go into a dream situation like EE did last year and get to run behind the best O-line we've seen in over a decade.

He's obviously a talented kid, there is just something about bigger backs that makes me leary.
Last edited by DreadNaught on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 pm

Caradoc wrote:I'm not sure what people are smoking having Cook ahead of him.

It's called 'The Clear'. :smokingpimp:

Caradoc wrote:Personally I'd rather have McCaffery over Cook.

I see you have been partaking in the same substances. :P
DreadNaught

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:53 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Fournette isn't going to 'thug' NFL defenders. Everyone in the NFL is like the Bama defense and they dominated Fournette.

I'm not trying to knock the kid, I think he's a hell of a RB prospect. I just think he physically matured quicker than most throughout HS and even in college. But now ALL of his competition are grown MEN as well so the physical advantages he's enjoyed to this point are going to occur FAR less often. It's not he's going to go into a dream situation like EE did last year and get to run behind the best O-line we've seen in over a decade.

He's obviously a talented kid, there is just something about bigger backs that makes me leary.

Which is also my only case against Cook - 3 shoulder surgeries does not bode well for being able to take sustained hits from MEN every week. Fournette may not 'thug' NFL defenders regularly, but he'll at least be taking licks and falling forward. Cook avoids contact very well due to his shiftiness. But those MEN aren't just bigger - they're also faster, and he won't be able to just rely on getting to the edge every time like he was able to do at FSU. And when he does have to enivitably have to put that shoulder down, how long is that going to last?

I don't know... the more I think about it (tbh, I didn't realize it was already 3 shoulder surgeries for cook), the less I like the idea of taking cook at 19 even if he does fall right in our lap. I love the guy, he went to my alma mater, he's a phenomenal talent, but I think I'd pass on him at 19
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:22 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Fournette isn't going to 'thug' NFL defenders. Everyone in the NFL is like the Bama defense and they dominated Fournette.

Which is also my only case against Cook - 3 shoulder surgeries does not bode well for being able to take sustained hits from MEN every week. Fournette may not 'thug' NFL defenders regularly, but he'll at least be taking licks and falling forward. Cook avoids contact very well due to his shiftiness. But those MEN aren't just bigger - they're also faster, and he won't be able to just rely on getting to the edge every time like he was able to do at FSU. And when he does have to enivitably have to put that shoulder down, how long is that going to last?

I don't know... the more I think about it (tbh, I didn't realize it was already 3 shoulder surgeries for cook), the less I like the idea of taking cook at 19 even if he does fall right in our lap. I love the guy, he went to my alma mater, he's a phenomenal talent, but I think I'd pass on him at 19

That's fair, the shoulder injuries for Cook are my biggest concern with him. But just like the off-field stuff we as fans can only speculate on injury concerns and just have to trust the team to evaluate those areas.

My point about Fournette is that when he went up against top defenses he got bottled up, and when was the last time a 240lb RB was top 3 in rushing in the NFL? I'm not saying Fournette will be a bust, I'm just leary is all, and that is based on the skillsets I see from top end RBs in todays NFL.

Cook on the other hand was very productive when he faced off against top defenses. I just think when comparing the two of these guys Cook's skillset translates better to the NFL. But it's just my opinion. I'd be happy w/ either guy but don't believe either will be around at 19.
Last edited by DreadNaught on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:22 pm

This is pretty telling so far....

Dirk Koetter tells @SiriusXMNFL that he expects @DougMartin22 to participate in @TBBuccaneers OTAs. Doing well in drug rehab.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:33 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:This is pretty telling so far....

Dirk Koetter tells @SiriusXMNFL that he expects @DougMartin22 to participate in @TBBuccaneers OTAs. Doing well in drug rehab.

If Doug takes care of what he needs to in his personal life I see no reason why he won't be back. We just can't count on him to be the bellcow going into 2017 and need a plan B (or make Doug plan B).
DreadNaught

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:12 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

That's fair, the shoulder injuries for Cook are my biggest concern with him. But just like the off-field stuff we as fans can only speculate on injury concerns and just have to trust the team to evaluate those areas.

My point about Fournette is that when he went up against top defenses he got bottled up, and when was the last time a 240lb RB was top 3 in rushing in the NFL? I'm not saying Fournette will be a bust, I'm just leary is all, and that is based on the skillsets I see from top end RBs in todays NFL.

Cook on the other hand was very productive when he faced off against top defenses. I just think when comparing the two of these guys Cook's skillset translates better to the NFL. But it's just my opinion. I'd be happy w/ either guy but don't believe either will be around at 19.

whew - just saw that 240 lb thing. would not have suspected he weighs that much, he seems to carry it well. he'd do well to drop about 8-10 lbs IMO. they have his playing weight at 236. all the studs are at that 215-228 range though, you're right
beardmcdoug

Postby Doctor » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:14 pm

I'd take an AP, Cook, Sims backfield any day.
Doctor

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:33 pm

Give it rest Bucs fan

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Bucs aren't expected to aggressively pursue free agent Adrian Peterson.
At this moment, Tampa Bay would prefer to take it slow with suspended Doug Martin after visiting with him last week. Per ESPN Bucs reporter Jenna Laine, the Bucs believe Martin looks refreshed and healthy following rehab and want to see what the next 6-8 months bring. If the Bucs are going to add running back help, it might come via a rookie and re-signing Jacquizz Rodgers.
Phantom Phenom

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:37 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

whew - just saw that 240 lb thing. would not have suspected he weighs that much, he seems to carry it well. he'd do well to drop about 8-10 lbs IMO. they have his playing weight at 236. all the studs are at that 215-228 range though, you're right

I agree Fournette should drop some weight. My only thought is that his testing metrics at the combine will be better if he moves the same way at 240 as he does at 230-235. But LeVeon Bell was guy that was like 240lbs in college and slimmed down once he got in the NFL and we saw a dramatic improvement. Fournette may wear 240lbs well, but power becomes an overrated attribute for RBs at a certain point and it's not like Fournette wouldn't be able to bully DBs at 225-230lbs while also being more elusive without the extra 10-15lbs.
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Give it rest Bucs fan

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Bucs aren't expected to aggressively pursue free agent Adrian Peterson.
At this moment, Tampa Bay would prefer to take it slow with suspended Doug Martin after visiting with him last week. Per ESPN Bucs reporter Jenna Laine, the Bucs believe Martin looks refreshed and healthy following rehab and want to see what the next 6-8 months bring. If the Bucs are going to add running back help, it might come via a rookie and re-signing Jacquizz Rodgers.

Key word there is aggressively, which sounds about right. I think I've been one of the more avid AP supporters on here, and even I am very tempered. I say something in the $5-6M range. Something closer to what Murray got from the Titans, not anything like McCoy and the Bills. Leave the offer on the table, and leave it at that. No chasing or anything.

I don't think people realize how bad our rushing offense was last year. It was bad. Really bad. We avg 3.6 a carry. Not saying AP is a savior, but more like beggers can't be choosers, that how you end up with no real backfield ala Ravens, Eagles, Detroit or Seattle. And while I'm all for drafting a RB, there's no reason to not hedge our bets with a HoF for the right price.
Doctor

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:29 pm

Doctor wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Give it rest Bucs fan

Key word there is aggressively, which sounds about right. I think I've been one of the more avid AP supporters on here, and even I am very tempered. I say something in the $5-6M range. Something closer to what Murray got from the Titans, not anything like McCoy and the Bills. Leave the offer on the table, and leave it at that. No chasing or anything.

I don't think people realize how bad our rushing offense was last year. It was bad. Really bad. We avg 3.6 a carry. Not saying AP is a savior, but more like beggers can't be choosers, that how you end up with no real backfield ala Ravens, Eagles, Detroit or Seattle. And while I'm all for drafting a RB, there's no reason to not hedge our bets with a HoF for the right price.

I don't think he will leave Min for 5-6 million. Ive heard anywhere from 8-12.
uscbucsfan

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:06 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Doctor wrote:Key word there is aggressively, which sounds about right. I think I've been one of the more avid AP supporters on here, and even I am very tempered. I say something in the $5-6M range. Something closer to what Murray got from the Titans, not anything like McCoy and the Bills. Leave the offer on the table, and leave it at that. No chasing or anything.

I don't think he will leave Min for 5-6 million. Ive heard anywhere from 8-12.

The Raiders would be a good fit. They're going to lose Latavius Murray and they have a couple of talented smurfs behind him. Plus, they play that power run game and I think that's what AD needs at this point of his career - 3 yards blocked for, fight ahead for another 1 or 2, with a handful of big runs over the course of the season. And with their young offense, he'd be an instant respected veteran voice.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:33 am

How about GB?
Doctor

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:12 pm

I think Peterson ends up in Oakland.
Miller4Prez64

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:57 am

The Packers and Raiders both make a lot of sense honestly. He'd be a good compliment to what both franchises already have at the position, and both have enough passing game that he wouldn't have to be great to be effective. Oakland especially makes sense with that mammoth OL of theirs.
MJW

Postby terrytate » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:16 am

MJW wrote:The Packers and Raiders both make a lot of sense honestly. He'd be a good compliment to what both franchises already have at the position, and both have enough passing game that he wouldn't have to be great to be effective. Oakland especially makes sense with that mammoth OL of theirs.

The problem with AP is that he is a classic Iform back in the era of shotgun heavy offenses. He could still have a few good seasons in him but he has to go to the right place or else it will be Demarco Murray to Philly all over again.

I too agree that Oakland would be the perfect spot for him.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:24 am

terrytate wrote:
MJW wrote:The Packers and Raiders both make a lot of sense honestly. He'd be a good compliment to what both franchises already have at the position, and both have enough passing game that he wouldn't have to be great to be effective. Oakland especially makes sense with that mammoth OL of theirs.

The problem with AP is that he is a classic Iform back in the era of shotgun heavy offenses. He could still have a few good seasons in him but he has to go to the right place or else it will be Demarco Murray to Philly all over again.

I too agree that Oakland would be the perfect spot for him.

That's a good point Terry. All other factors aside, the league is moving away from the kind of offense AD thrived in. It's better to be a slasher now than a snowplow. He'd look good falling forward for 5 after getting 3 blocked for him behind Gabe Jackson and Donald Penn.
MJW

Postby Kress » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:06 am

MJW wrote: He'd look good falling forward for 5 after getting 3 blocked for him behind Donald Penn.

If I wasn't posting from my phone, I would grumpy cat photo the **** out of you right now.
Kress

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:13 am

Kress wrote:
MJW wrote: He'd look good falling forward for 5 after getting 3 blocked for him behind Donald Penn.

If I wasn't posting from my phone, I would grumpy cat photo the **** out of you right now.

Bill Belichick: "We like to get rid of our veterans a year before they stop playing at a high level."
OBP: "Only a year? Pffft."
MJW

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions