Adrian Peterson interested in Bucs

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Adrian Peterson interested in Bucs

Postby Super K » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Kress wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
I'm inclined to believe that his 4.3 YPC average is more a blip than a trend. His previous 5 years he had never rushed for more than 3.9 YPC and in 2015 rushed for the same 2.9 as Doug Martin. Numbers aside also, the offense didn't feed off of his running. Lost in his 4.3 average is the fact that he rarely faced 8 man boxes. And SK is absolutely right when he says the only thing that saved him at times from getting sapped was the new rules. He's not a guy I'd count on for 15-20 carries. It sucks but we need a new lead back who can affect the game in more than 1 way. With Quizz back there it essentially took us out of the playaction game because defenses didn't respect the threat. Martin is done here. We know that. Someone with his similar ability would be ideal.

So you are saying that statistically his floor is Martin, his average is significantly above that, and that his thus far documented ceiling is even moreso well above that. You then compound it with your belief that the new rules-which will continue to be the actual rules moving forward-do nothing but help him, and you have a POINT!

Good God, random Contrarian Bootzing in full effect...

Just to be clear, 'cause I don't wanna get all tangled up throwin hands like you 2 fellas...

While I mentioned the "new rules" not allowing Quizz to get the Sapp treatment, he still got tackled on those plays..so these rules only benefited him because he didn't have his spine snapped in 2 or his lungs forcefully driven into his brain..

That's all I had to say..back to your slap fight...
Super K

Postby Kress » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:16 pm

:removing leather glove:
Kress

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Super K wrote:
Kress wrote:

So you are saying that statistically his floor is Martin, his average is significantly above that, and that his thus far documented ceiling is even moreso well above that. You then compound it with your belief that the new rules-which will continue to be the actual rules moving forward-do nothing but help him, and you have a POINT!

Good God, random Contrarian Bootzing in full effect...

Just to be clear, 'cause I don't wanna get all tangled up throwin hands like you 2 fellas...

While I mentioned the "new rules" not allowing Quizz to get the Sapp treatment, he still got tackled on those plays..so these rules only benefited him because he didn't have his spine snapped in 2 or his lungs forcefully driven into his brain..

Lucky for him. He's not creative or elusive enough in the backfield to be counted on as a bell cow. Granted we definitely need upgrades up front but the fact remains.
Bootz2004

Postby Buc2 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:47 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:

Lucky for him. He's not creative or elusive enough in the backfield to be counted on as a bell cow. Granted we definitely need upgrades up front but the fact remains.

Yes, but could be be a cow bell?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:10 pm

We have $80 MILLION in cap. If we had half that I may say, okay, maybe not worth it. But throwing $5M at AP on the off chance that he continues to prove himself superhuman is a small gamble. The guy won the rushing title in 2015, not 2010. I'm still all for bringing in another back, maybe Kamara or Foreman in the 2nd, Titans style, or maybe even one on day 3. But if there's even a 50% chance we can get an legit AP season from AP, it's worth a $5M gamble. Not like it's going to prevent us from landing anyone else. And the results can be a legit title run.
Doctor

Postby Super K » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:02 pm

I'd rather take that $5mill and add it to the offer we toss at DJAX..or extend Evans with it...or use it to make an offer on Poe...

Hell, make a big time money offer to Leveon Bell for all I care..

But tossing $5mill at AD to be our RB is like tossing it my way..ain't worth ****..
Super K

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:53 pm

That sounds great, but what will likely happen is that we will toss whatever price we want at those guys, they'll either take it or won't, and we'll still take $30million into the season, sitting there, not doing anyone any good.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:31 am

Doctor wrote:That sounds great, but what will likely happen is that we will toss whatever price we want at those guys, they'll either take it or won't, and we'll still take $30million into the season, sitting there, not doing anyone any good.

I'm more concerned about the 300 carries Peterson would get here than the money, because I doubt they're going to be particularly effective. There are a lot of ways we can approach the RB position this offseason and this would be the laziest and least forward thinking IMHO.
MJW

Postby tjax03 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:28 pm

This day and age Id rather have a pass catching back like Dalvin Cook.

Elliot, Freeman, Bell are all pass catching backs. It makes the offense more dynamic. Hell even James White on the pats is a pass catching back.
tjax03

Postby Naismith » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:37 pm

tjax03 wrote:This day and age Id rather have a pass catching back like Dalvin Cook.

Elliot, Freeman, Bell are all pass catching backs. It makes the offense more dynamic. Hell even James White on the pats is a pass catching back.

EE, Freeman and Bell are any kind of back you want them to be. James White is a pass catching third down back type. Dalvin Cook is somewhere in between. It depends on how close to the former group you think he is and what you want out of your top back as to how you'd value him in the draft.
Naismith

Postby Naismith » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:41 pm

Just saw the Panthers as a fit for Peterson. I think that would be the best use of AP for the Bucs. Send him to Carolina so they don't take Fournette.
Naismith

Postby Kress » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:54 pm

tjax03 wrote:Hell even James White on the pats is a pass catching back.

There is this game that they play every year. It's called the Super Bowl. You should watch it.

But skip the commercials.
Kress

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Naismith wrote:
tjax03 wrote:This day and age Id rather have a pass catching back like Dalvin Cook.

EE, Freeman and Bell are any kind of back you want them to be. James White is a pass catching third down back type. Dalvin Cook is somewhere in between. It depends on how close to the former group you think he is and what you want out of your top back as to how you'd value him in the draft.

d..dude... I think you are vastly underrepresenting dalvin cook as a pass catcher. The only one that showed nearly the same pass catching skills coming out of college as Dalvin has was Bell

EE: 28, 27 catches; 220, 206 yds; 7.9 ypc avg both years
Freeman: 15, 10, 22 catches; 111, 86, 278 yds; 7.4, 8.6, 12.6 ypc
Bell: 11, 35, 32 catches; 97, 267, 167 yds; 8.8, 7.6, 5.2 ypc

Cook: 22, 24, 33 catches; 203, 244, 488 yds; 9.2, 10.2, 14.8 ypc

I mean cook had as many receiving yards in his senior year as both EE and Freeman did in their whole college careers!! and averaged freaking 15 yards per catch!! All while still rushing for 1700 yds and 19 TDs in back to back seasons. The dude is an absolute monster
beardmcdoug

Postby Noles1724 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:31 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Naismith wrote:

d..dude... I think you are vastly underrepresenting dalvin cook as a pass catcher. The only one that showed nearly the same pass catching skills coming out of college as Dalvin has was Bell

I mean cook had as many receiving yards in his senior year as both EE and Freeman did in their whole college careers!! and averaged freaking 15 yards per catch!! All while still rushing for 1700 yds and 19 TDs in back to back seasons. The dude is an absolute monster

Cook is Jamaal Charles v.2
Noles1724

Postby Naismith » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:32 pm

Mine wasn't a comment at all on Cook's ability to catch the ball. He needs to be much more than a receiver to be a primary back. I was commenting on those three being called "pass catching backs". Those guys; Zeke, Bell and Freeman; they aren't exclusively pass catching backs. They do everything very well. If they couldn't catch the ball, they would still be excellent running backs. James White is a receiver out of the backfield. He's a complementary back in the Charles Sims mold. Cook needs to be closer to Bell-Zeke-Freeman group than the White-Sims group to justify an early draft pick.
Last edited by Naismith on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naismith

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:32 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Naismith wrote:EE, Freeman and Bell are any kind of back you want them to be. James White is a pass catching third down back type. Dalvin Cook is somewhere in between. It depends on how close to the former group you think he is and what you want out of your top back as to how you'd value him in the draft.

Imo Cook is the best RB in this draft and I'd take him over Fournette. Not a knock on Fournette, Cook just does more and both are elite runners albeit w/ differing styles.

Like BMD stated, Cook is monster running the ball and has shown he can do it as a traditional 'I' back or out of the shotgun running draws and inside zone runs. Cook separates himself from Fournette as a pass catcher where he would be much more lethal on 3rd down.

Cook's skillset translates much better to the NFL game and value as a 3 down, do-it-all RB. I won't be surprised if he goes top 10 and is the first RB drafted.

It as some similarity to the Edgerrin James - Ricky Williams draft where everyone assumed Ricky would be the 1st RB selected.
DreadNaught

Postby Naismith » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:36 pm

I posted this on PR, but I think Cook will be the fourth RB off the board and go in the second round. This is entirely based around the reports about teams being concerned with his character and/or injuries, so obviously it could all be nonsense. It just feels like a "where there's smoke" situation. I think it goes Fournette and McCaffrey in the first followed by Kamara and then Cook in the second.

Personally, I rank them as Fournette, Mixon and then Cook.
Naismith

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:41 pm

Naismith wrote:Cook needs to be closer to Bell-Zeke-Freeman group than the White-Sims group to justify an early draft pick.

He is, dude is a beast. His ability as a pass catcher doesn't diminish his ability to run the rock. If I wanted to be real nitpicky on Cook I'd say he doesn't drive for the extra yard at the end of runs as much I'd like. But FSU rode that kid like seabiscuit so I don't put that all in him. I was tired just watching him in some FSU games.
DreadNaught

Postby Noles1724 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:41 pm

Naismith wrote:I posted this on PR, but I think Cook will be the fourth RB off the board and go in the second round. This is entirely based around the reports about teams being concerned with his character and/or injuries, so obviously it could all be nonsense. It just feels like a "where there's smoke" situation. I think it goes Fournette and McCaffrey in the first followed by Kamara and then Cook in the second.

puff puff pass sir
Noles1724

Postby tjax03 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:41 pm

If cook isnt available

they should get deonta foreman

he is the jamal charles of this draft
tjax03

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Naismith wrote:I posted this on PR, but I think Cook will be the fourth RB off the board and go in the second round. This is entirely based around the reports about teams being concerned with his character and/or injuries, so obviously it could all be nonsense. It just feels like a "where there's smoke" situation. I think it goes Fournette and McCaffrey in the first followed by Kamara and then Cook in the second.

Fair enough... I don't think he'll get to us at 19, and if he did our Assistant GM/Starting QB would not let us pass on him. :P
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:46 pm

tjax03 wrote:If cook isnt available

they should get deonta foreman

he is the jamal charles of this draft

Other than both being from Texas I don't see the comparison. Freeman is 235-240lb power back, while Charles was a world class sprinter who turned into a good RB.
DreadNaught

Postby Naismith » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:51 pm

I think Foreman might be my least favorite back in the draft. Take that with a grain of salt as it's not like I'm an expert scout or anything, but for a big guy, he sure seems to go down easily and doesn't get those extra yards as he's going down.
Naismith

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:05 pm

lmfao dude are you kidding me? you just jumped the shark. Kamara is the laziest running back I think I've ever seen. there is literally nothing special about the kid - speed, agility, vision, finishing. he's maybe got above average balance, that's it. and he does that dumb **** where he slows up 5 yards out from the endzone. runs entitled. wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. even his highlight reel sucks. dude aint gonna do **** in the NFL calling it right now. hope to god some other GM makes that mistake before us in the first - keep more worthy talent available at 19
beardmcdoug

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:09 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

Fair enough... I don't think he'll get to us at 19, and if he did our Assistant GM/Starting QB would not let us pass on him. :P

it would be hard to pass on him at 19...
beardmcdoug

Postby Doctor » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:09 pm

Surprising Noone, AP to become a FA
Doctor

Postby Naismith » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:12 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:

lmfao dude are you kidding me? you just jumped the shark. Kamara is the laziest running back I think I've ever seen. there is literally nothing special about the kid - speed, agility, vision, finishing. he's maybe got above average balance, that's it. and he does that dumb **** where he slows up 5 yards out from the endzone. runs entitled. wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. even his highlight reel sucks. dude aint gonna do **** in the NFL calling it right now. hope to god some other GM makes that mistake before us in the first - keep more worthy talent available at 19

I think you misunderstand the difference between a prediction and, I don't know, a scouting report?
Naismith

Postby Kress » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:18 pm

Doctor wrote:Surprising Noone, AP to become a FA

That Noone dude did remain calm.
Kress

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:23 pm

Naismith wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

I think you misunderstand the difference between a prediction and, I don't know, a scouting report?

so your thought about Kamara being drafted in the first, over Cook, has nothing to do with your own opinion of the RB's, its just a random shot you're calling?
beardmcdoug

Postby Naismith » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:46 pm

I didn't say he would go in the first. I predicted he would go in the second, ahead of Cook and explained what I was basing my prediction of a Cook "slide" on. I also ranked my personal top three RBs in the post you quoted. And I wouldn't say it was random. I'd say it's a prediction based on reading a ton of draft info from various reputable people that cover the draft.
Naismith

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions