Adrian Peterson interested in Bucs

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Adrian Peterson interested in Bucs

Postby BucsFan5493 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:25 pm

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/416 ... n-peterson

What would you Cook/RB fans in round 1 think about this?
BucsFan5493

Re: Adrian Peterson interested in Bucs

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:32 pm

I think I could run down to Moe's Garage and find used tires cheaper.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby acmillis » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:52 pm

If he gets cut...I wouldn't mind him for 5-6M/year...but we'd get outbid. Personally, I think AP in our backfield for the next 2-3 years would help Jameis out immensely.

At this point, I'd rather have AP than Doug for the next 2-3 years anyway.
acmillis

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:55 pm

For the right price, I'd definitely do it. He is an injury concern, but he just led the league in rushing the previous season.

I don't see it happening, though.
pewterpirates

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Can I have the text of the article, please? the link is blocked at the office.

#ihatethisjob
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:04 pm

acmillis wrote:If he gets cut...I wouldn't mind him for 5-6M/year...but we'd get outbid. Personally, I think AP in our backfield for the next 2-3 years would help Jameis out immensely.

Yeah, AP's last 3 years have been great.
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:04 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Can I have the text of the article, please? the link is blocked at the office.

#ihatethisjob

Adrian Peterson said he is interested in playing for the Texans, Bucs, and Giants.
Peterson is still under contract with the Vikings, but there seems to be little hope he remains with the team next season. Owed $18 million in salary and bonuses including a $6 million roster bonus due on March 11, there is also little chance any team trades for the aging star. That means Peterson should have his pick of the litter once he is released, but none of these teams are viable options right now. The Texans just spent a lot of money on Lamar Miller, and Peterson is not a good fit in the Giants' shotgun-heavy attack. The Bucs could be an option if they decide to move on from Doug Martin, but Peterson is not a better player than Martin at this point in his career and might end up costing more. Along with Tony Romo, Peterson's search for a new team will be one of the biggest storylines this offseason. Jan 19 - 12:09 PM
Source: Andrew Krammer on Twitter

NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:10 pm

NYBF wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Can I have the text of the article, please? the link is blocked at the office.

#ihatethisjob

Adrian Peterson said he is interested in playing for the Texans, Bucs, and Giants.
Peterson is still under contract with the Vikings, but there seems to be little hope he remains with the team next season. Owed $18 million in salary and bonuses including a $6 million roster bonus due on March 11, there is also little chance any team trades for the aging star. That means Peterson should have his pick of the litter once he is released, but none of these teams are viable options right now. The Texans just spent a lot of money on Lamar Miller, and Peterson is not a good fit in the Giants' shotgun-heavy attack. The Bucs could be an option if they decide to move on from Doug Martin, but Peterson is not a better player than Martin at this point in his career and might end up costing more. Along with Tony Romo, Peterson's search for a new team will be one of the biggest storylines this offseason. Jan 19 - 12:09 PM
Source: Andrew Krammer on Twitter

Thanks.

$18 million for a guy who has played in 19 games over the last 3 seasons? No wonder the Vikes are moving on.

Here you go, AP. I'll pay you $1 million for every 100 yards. Zero guaranteed.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Meh... I would not hate seeing Peterson in a Bucs jersey. But I certainly won't be disappointed if not.

I think we'll address the position i the draft either way.

There are still unanswered questions about Doug. We don't have to make any decision on Doug until August anyway so we can see how the cards fall at RB during FA and the draft. If we don't get who we want and Doug shows his 'rehab' is going well we'll be fine bring him back.

I'm more concerned with addressing the O-line before worrying about which RBs we'll have tbh.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Best to get an entire picture of what's going on....

"I see myself in purple. A lot has to take place," Peterson said on First Take on Thursday. "I see myself finishing off in purple. It is a business at the end of the day, so with that, things could end up differently. ... Hopefully we can work things out."

"There's a couple teams out there that I've thought about. ... New York was one of them that popped up, Tampa Bay, lot of different teams. Houston would be a good spot," Peterson said. "I'll stop right there. ... I'm just throwing random names out there."

He's staying in Minnesota.
Bootz2004

Postby acmillis » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:31 pm

NYBF wrote:
acmillis wrote:If he gets cut...I wouldn't mind him for 5-6M/year...but we'd get outbid. Personally, I think AP in our backfield for the next 2-3 years would help Jameis out immensely.

Yeah, Doug Martin's last 3 years have been great.

You mean the last three years where AP has averaged more YP Carry than Martin, or you mean the three years where Martin has as many rushing touchdowns combined as AP did in one season, or is it the last three years that AP has average more YP catch than Martin has, even though AP is not seen as as good a pass catcher as Martin. Are those the three years you're talking about.

You tell me this, for the same price, would you rather have Martin or AP for the next three seasons?
acmillis

Postby SIBucsFan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Best to get an entire picture of what's going on....

"I see myself in purple. A lot has to take place," Peterson said on First Take on Thursday. "I see myself finishing off in purple. It is a business at the end of the day, so with that, things could end up differently. ... Hopefully we can work things out."

"There's a couple teams out there that I've thought about. ... New York was one of them that popped up, Tampa Bay, lot of different teams. Houston would be a good spot," Peterson said. "I'll stop right there. ... I'm just throwing random names out there."

Nah, he sees himself finishing in Baltimore.
SIBucsFan

Postby Mex-Buc » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Here's where he said it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skQ1RI7D9J0

Around the 7:30 Min Mark

Should be fun to have this guy running the ball inspired to prove he's still the best.

But we have to fix the OL before we make another move.
Mex-Buc

Postby Super K » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:48 pm

Sure, let's sign Peterson...while we're at it maybe we can get Peyton to come in and play QB after we resign Vjax at WR..

Time to move on AD..it happens to everyone and it's happened to better than you..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:49 pm

Super K wrote:Sure, let's sign Peterson...while we're at it maybe we can get Peyton to come in and play QB after we resign Vjax at WR..

Time to move on AD..it happens to everyone and it's happened to better than you..

Jon Gruden just had a wet dream about your scenario here
Bootz2004

Postby acmillis » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Super K wrote:Sure, let's sign Peterson...while we're at it maybe we can get Peyton to come in and play QB after we resign Vjax at WR..

While I would normaally agree with your sentiments 99% of the time, AP (imo) is a rarity. I know Father Time is undefeated, but I'd be willing to roll the dice on AP as we have the cap, he'd be an upgrade over what we currently have and, as I said before, if we could get him for 5-6M/year, I really don't see a downside to that gamble as it would help Winston's development immeasurably.
acmillis

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Best to get an entire picture of what's going on....

I don't know. $18 million off the cap with no dead money is mighty tempting for any GM. AP basically said right there that he won't restructure again. He's daring the Vikes to release him.

I'd see if I could land D'Onta Foreman or Samaje Perine with my 2nd round pick. If I can, I am thinking long and hard about releasing him.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

Jon Gruden just had a wet dream about your scenario here

Funny, I was gonna add something about Gruden but forgot due to my medicine head (**** you Dayquil)...
Super K

Postby NYBF » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:24 pm

acmillis wrote:
NYBF wrote:
Yeah, AP's last 3 years have been great.

You mean the last three years where AP has averaged more YP Carry than Martin, or you mean the three years where Martin has as many rushing touchdowns combined as AP did in one season, or is it the last three years that AP has average more YP catch than Martin has, even though AP is not seen as as good a pass catcher as Martin. Are those the three years you're talking about.

You tell me this, for the same price, would you rather have Martin or AP for the next three seasons?

You're going to completely ignore the fact that AP has missed 2 out of the last 3 years? Price being equal, if I have to pick 1, I'm taking the guy who is 4 years younger and has played in 2x the number of games the last 3 seasons.

And the bolded part is a lie. Yes, the last 3 seasons AP had averaged one whole tenth of a yard more per carry, but he falls short in receiving. Doug: 7.8 yards per catch. AP: 7.1 yards

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... _receiving

NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:41 pm

Peterson is going to 32 in March. I doubt the Vikings retain him at a $18m cap hit so he'll test FA. But I'd bet he re-signs with the Vikings at a lower #.

Him throwing out all these teams is just trying to create leverage.

Peterson would have to really want to be a Buc for him to be here imo b/c I don't see us getting into a bidding war for a 32 year old RB. Even the great Adrian Peterson.
DreadNaught

Postby BucaRican » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:48 pm

This baffles me
Doug Martin, but Peterson is not a better player than Martin at this point in his career
Not sure I agree with that.

Doug had a horrible year when he played this year and last Year fell in second to AP. I think Doug has hit his wall this yr when he was in he did not look explosive at all. I am not in favor of a AP but I would consider him a better than Martin if we decided to cut Martin and did not draft COOK in the 1st. AP is AP he is known for hard work and coming back strong, that is one guy I will never doubt.

There is no doubt in my mind Doug gets Cut or Restructures. More than likely cut and resigns for a lower amount with no guaranteed money.
BucaRican

Postby Swashy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:58 pm

I'm not touching that guy with a 10 foot pole unless he plays for a fraction of his current price. And by fraction I mean like half or close to it. Dude has missed WAY too much time for me to be comfortable with the idea of him displacing Doug Martin.
Swashy

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:45 pm

Swashy wrote:I'm not touching that guy with a 10 foot pole

It's called a switch.
IchabodCrane84

Postby ComingThisFall » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:48 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:

It's called a switch.

Heyoooooooo
ComingThisFall

Postby acmillis » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:58 pm

NYBF wrote:
acmillis wrote:You mean the last three years where AP has averaged more YP Carry than Martin, or you mean the three years where Martin has as many rushing touchdowns combined as AP did in one season, or is it the last three years that AP has average more YP catch than Martin has, even though AP is not seen as as good a pass catcher as Martin. Are those the three years you're talking about.

You're going to completely ignore the fact that AP has missed 2 out of the last 3 years? Price being equal, if I have to pick 1, I'm taking the guy who is 4 years younger and has played in 2x the number of games the last 3 seasons.

And the bolded part is a lie. Yes, the last 3 seasons AP had averaged one whole tenth of a yard more per carry, but he falls short in receiving. Doug: 7.8 yards per catch. AP: 7.1 yards

You're right on the yards/catch, I was looking at Martin's targets, not catches...my bad.

I think we know what we have in Martin; an injury prone player that when health is very good. But again, he's gone for at least 4 games next season and there's literally a 50/50 shot (looking at his history) that he'll miss multiple games with injury.

I'd like to think we would know what we'd be getting with Peterson, a guy coming off an injury who is one of the best to ever play his position and a player that had the best season ever after coming off an injury.

If the money is the same, give me AP all day
acmillis

Postby Doctor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:04 pm

Martin and AP are both injury prone. But when both are healthy it's not even close. It's AP.

If I had to have an injury prone RB on my team for next season, I'd pick AP. (Is Jamal Charles in this conversation?) We have a ton of cap space and get Martin's space if he's cut. Mid risk-High Reward signing, he's really hungry to play. I'd do it. Still see about drafting a RB all the same. Nothing wrong with having a Herny/McGahee, Taylor/MJD, Murray/Henry, Freeman/Coleman, LT/Turner backfield situation.
Doctor

Postby Nano » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:05 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:

It's called a switch.

JudgeDread preferred the term sweet justice
Nano

Postby Doctor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:07 pm

ComingThisFall wrote:
IchabodCrane84 wrote:

It's called a switch.

Heyoooooooo

:ninja: POTW
Doctor

Postby NYBF » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Doctor wrote:Mid risk-High Reward signing

Mid risk? He has missed 2 of the last 3 seasons.

Doctor wrote:he's really hungry to play.

Oh, in that case. Yeah.
NYBF

Postby Doctor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:24 pm

And in that one he was the leading rusher. He's injury prone, no one is hiding this. But his injuries are followed by rushing leader seasons. And what are the odds he misses 3 of the last 4? Even so, I'm not saying put all our RB eggs in his basket. The only risk is wasting $7-9M in cap space, which isn't that big of a deal given our space and the fact that we've wasted more on far less. Yeah, mid risk.

Also, Martin HAS been hurt 3 of the last 4 and has never bounced back like AP or ever sniffed being on his level.
Doctor

Next

Return to Team Discussions