Adrian Peterson interested in Bucs

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Adrian Peterson interested in Bucs

Postby Doctor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:36 am

APs market it looking dryer and dryer by the report. IDK how low he is willing to go, but he's could very well make a lot of teams look damn foolish next year.
Doctor

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Teams are not tripping overthemselves to sign a injury prone back over 30? Shocker.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Doctor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:51 pm

No one was tripping over themselves to sign Steve Smith either, but he more than outplayed his deal and the Ravens were a better team for it.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:55 pm

Peterson will just re-sign w/ the Vikes if there is no market for him. His previous cap # of $16m for this year was just outrageous and the team had to release him at that crazy #. But they would be more than happy to have him back at around half ($8-$10) of that imo.
DreadNaught

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:11 pm

Doctor wrote:No one was tripping over themselves to sign Steve Smith either, but he more than outplayed his deal and the Ravens were a better team for it.

He'll sign with someone and probably produce, but there was all this hype about where he was going and it looks like NFL teams are not that excited about him.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:03 am

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
Doctor wrote:No one was tripping over themselves to sign Steve Smith either, but he more than outplayed his deal and the Ravens were a better team for it.

He'll sign with someone and probably produce, but there was all this hype about where he was going and it looks like NFL teams are not that excited about him.

Probably Raiders
Phantom Phenom

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:42 am

Heard he signed with the Raiders. Glad it's not true. That would probably be the most explosive offense in the league.

Hope he waits it out. See's what teams missed out of RBs in the draft (possibly us) and want to make a move. Maybe wait for a camp injury. He can easily skip OTAs.
Doctor

Postby Naismith » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:46 am

Naismith wrote:I posted this on PR, but I think Cook will be the fourth RB off the board and go in the second round.

Looks like Kiper finally got around to reading buczone.

Naismith

Postby Swashy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:20 am

^ In my near 17 years as a football fan I can't remember a single time one of Kiper's predictions came true. I'll give the guy credit for always putting himself out there but that's it.
Swashy

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:48 am

Swashy wrote:^ In my near 17 years as a football fan I can't remember a single time one of Kiper's predictions came true. I'll give the guy credit for always putting himself out there but that's it.

Agreed..

Kiper is an idiot..

That said, if Cook falls to the 2nd, some team is gonna get 2 1st rounders..

Anybody know what teams run a ZBS? That is then type of offense I think Cook would thrive in..
Super K

Postby Doctor » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:40 am

Super K wrote:
Swashy wrote:^ In my near 17 years as a football fan I can't remember a single time one of Kiper's predictions came true. I'll give the guy credit for always putting himself out there but that's it.

Agreed..

Kiper is an idiot..

That said, if Cook falls to the 2nd, some team is gonna get 2 1st rounders..

Anybody know what teams run a ZBS? That is then type of offense I think Cook would thrive in..

Three second rounders. Browns would walk away with Garrett, Mitch T, and Cook.
Doctor

Postby Mike1989 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:20 pm

Naismith wrote:
Naismith wrote:I posted this on PR, but I think Cook will be the fourth RB off the board and go in the second round.

If he falls that far, it would be the equivalent of what the Jaguars ended up with last year when they got Jalen Ramsey at #5 and Myles Jack at #36. Like Super K said, some team would be getting two first round talents.
Mike1989

Postby Naismith » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:28 pm

So his really, really poor athletic testing doesn't concern any of you in making him a first round pick in a deep draft for RBs?
Naismith

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:30 pm

Mike1989 wrote:
Naismith wrote:

If he falls that far, it would be the equivalent of what the Jaguars ended up with last year when they got Jalen Ramsey at #5 and Myles Jack at #36. Like Super K said, some team would be getting two first round talents.

Dont forget the Bucs got two first round talents in last year's draft too... VH3 and Aguayo
beardmcdoug

Postby terrytate » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:31 pm

Mike1989 wrote:
Naismith wrote:

There's going to be a lot of that this year. There several kids in this draft that would be first rounders in another year but will fall in 2017.
terrytate

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Naismith wrote:So his really, really poor athletic testing doesn't concern any of you in making him a first round pick in a deep draft for RBs?

How did Tom Brady test out?

And before you come back with "yeah, but he went in the 6th round"...

DC4 has tape AND production displaying/showing what he can do..

He's not the right RB for us..But he is for somebody else..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:46 pm

It's not that far fetched. There's a subconscious myth that every draft has exactly 32 prospects worth 1st round picks. That's not the case. There's always more (except 2013). You could say we got 2 guys who were at 1 point top 10 projected picks.
Bootz2004

Postby Naismith » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:03 pm

Super K wrote:
Naismith wrote:So his really, really poor athletic testing doesn't concern any of you in making him a first round pick in a deep draft for RBs?

How did Tom Brady test out?

And before you come back with "yeah, but he went in the 6th round"...

DC4 has tape AND production displaying/showing what he can do..

He's not the right RB for us..But he is for somebody else..

I wouldn't come back with the sixth round thing, I'd respond with RB vs QB. QB doesn't need elite athleticism.

Lots of running backs have tape and production as well. Every year, there are players that are great in college but aren't athletic/good enough in the NFL. What makes Cook different?
Naismith

Postby Mike1989 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Not really. There are plenty of players that have overcome poor combines over the years:

- Kelvin Benjamin ran a fairly slow time and didn't stand out, yet he had a very good rookie campaign for the Panthers. Granted he got injured in his second season and in his third season he didn't hit the same heights (though Newton did have a poor year), but he has shown he can make plays and be a number #1 receiver.
- Anquan Boldin's 40 yard dash just beat Peyton Manning's 4.8 second 40 yard dash. He also didn't stand out in agility tests either. Yet, his rookie season saw him post a 101/1377/8 stat line and he's been one of the most consistent receivers since coming into the league. He's also arguably had a hall of fame career.
- Terrell Suggs didn't stand out at the combine. Slow 40 yard dash and poor performance in the bench press, yet he's arguably had a hall of fame career.
- Joe Haden didn't hit expectations with his 40 yard dash, yet he's had a good career to date stuck on a bad football team.

Of those players Suggs did fall from a top five pick to tenth overall, Benjamin fell to near the bottom of the first round, and Boldin fell into the second round, while Haden was still taken top ten. These are just four players that had poor combines yet have made an impact in the NFL, and two of them could end up in the hall of fame. I would include Tom Brady on this list but with him playing quarterback, that athleticism was never really going to be make or break for him like it would for a receiver, linebacker or cornerback.

So no, I am not overly concerned by Cook's poor combine. There is more than enough tape to show that he's got the skill set and athletic ability to be a very dangerous running back. It will simply be a question of fit in a team's offense and also his work ethic. As long as he works hard and is a fit, he should have a good career.
Mike1989

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:39 am

Mike1989 wrote:So no, I am not overly concerned by Cook's poor combine. There is more than enough tape to show that he's got the skill set and athletic ability to be a very dangerous running back. It will simply be a question of fit in a team's offense and also his work ethic. As long as he works hard and is a fit, he should have a good career.

It's one more question, in regards to a guy with red-flags, borderline size, and a fumbling problem. Now, NONE of those things mean he won't be a great NFL back. But ugh...I'm really hoping we don't go this direction at all.
MJW

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:32 pm

MJW wrote:
Mike1989 wrote:So no, I am not overly concerned by Cook's poor combine. There is more than enough tape to show that he's got the skill set and athletic ability to be a very dangerous running back. It will simply be a question of fit in a team's offense and also his work ethic. As long as he works hard and is a fit, he should have a good career.

It's one more question, in regards to a guy with red-flags, borderline size, and a fumbling problem. Now, NONE of those things mean he won't be a great NFL back. But ugh...I'm really hoping we don't go this direction at all.

tired of the 'red-flags' being used when speaking on Davlin. Now the fumbling topic, I get. I believe he's the reason why FSU lost to Oregon and he does seem to carry the ball pretty lose and very rarely uses two hands to cover the ball.. even between tackles. That said, Tiki gives hope that this is a correctable bullet point. His size, may not be a plus for him, but he's a running back and 5'10 (listed as 5'11) is just fine. and he's 11lbs heavier than Jamaal Charles when he was drafted. I use Charles as a reference because that's exactly what Cook is.. and though Charles has missed a lot of time due to injury, it's ACL related and that's not a "size" injury.

bottomline, if we end up drafting Cook, we'll be getting a player that is capable of breaking open a game on any play even though he might not have had the most stellar combine. His vision, balance, hands, and shifty-ness is the best combo of all the RBs in this draft and he's displayed them in every 'big' game the Noles have played. I can't recall one game against a top notch D where he didn't perform above average.. and that's with being the focus of the defense going into those games.

Just like JW and his doubters, there isn't much that can be said to shift the belief. Only time will set the landscape so Cook believers will need to simply take a back seat and let the creme rise to the top.
Noles1724

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:04 pm

MJW wrote:

We will. And you will be so happy that we did. Write it down.
Doctor

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:08 am

I am thinking if we can get AP for 8 mill per we should sign him .. he still will be the best rb for the next 2-3 years ... no we should not draft a rb in the first red .
Jason Bourne

Postby Teitan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:I am thinking if we can get AP for 8 mill per we should sign him .

It's just not going to happen.
Teitan

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Teitan wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:I am thinking if we can get AP for 8 mill per we should sign him .

It's just not going to happen.

Maybe not, but it could , I think the longer he is not signed the better our chance will be
Jason Bourne

Postby Doctor » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:32 pm

AP will be signed by either the end of Day 1 or Day 2 of the draft. Lots of good backs and plenty of teams need RB help, but sometimes the draft just doesn't fall that way and you go in another direction. Whichever team happens to miss out on a stud RB this draft will likely turn to AP to band aid their rushing attack, at least for 2017.
Doctor

Postby BucaRican » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:56 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Mike1989 wrote:

Dont forget the Bucs got two first round talents in last year's draft too... VH3 and Aguayo

On No You didn't...
BucaRican

Postby MJW » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:38 am

Doctor wrote:
MJW wrote:

We will. And you will be so happy that we did. Write it down.

And even if he's good, multiple guys drafted later (many significantly later) will be as good, or better. Because that's running backs.

Here, borrow my pen.
MJW

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:56 am

Doctor wrote:AP will be signed by either the end of Day 1 or Day 2 of the draft.

I think AP will get signed shortly after the completion of the draft, but not during. Teams are going to see if they can address RB, even on day 3 and then re-evaluate there depth charts.

The market for high priced Veterans on the downside of their career is almost nonexistent until after the draft as teams look for younger/cheaper replacements.
DreadNaught

Postby Swashy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:59 am

I've taken a step back on this for quite some time to think about it and considering the fact AP is probably going to come very cheap I say go for it. We can't afford to go 4 games without a viable option at RB. I'm not saying Rodgers can't get it done but I trust AP more if he's at 100%. Most of all I don't trust Martin to come in and make an impact at all. 2 good years (rookie year and payday) aren't enough for me anymore. It would be prudent for the Bucs to act prophylactically here whether it's AP or someone else.

It really is playoffs or bust for these guys
Swashy

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions