BUCS 1 of 8 teams eligible for mandatory Hard Knocks

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
BUCS 1 of 8 teams eligible for mandatory Hard Knocks

Postby BucaRican » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:02 pm

A hearty thanks to old friend Will Brinson, who reminds us that we now have a roster of Hard Knocks eligible teams.

Yes, you can get excited about the tournament that ends with Super Bowl LI. I will focus on a premium cable series that won't air a first-run episode for eight months.

As fans of the ground-breaking documentary series are surely aware, NFL owners passed a resolution in 2013 stating that teams can avoid mandatory inclusion on Hard Knocks if they fall under any of three exemptions: 1) They have a first-year head coach in place; 2) They have a playoff berth in the past two seasons; 3) They have appeared on Hard Knocks in the past 10 years.

Let's break it down:

Teams that will have a new head coach in place
»49ers
»Bills
»Broncos
»Chargers
»Jaguars
»Rams

Teams that have had a playoff berth in the last two seasons
»Raiders
»Texans
»Dolphins
»Steelers
»Chiefs
»Patriots
»Lions
»Seahawks
»Giants
»Packers
»Falcons
»Cowboys
»Redskins
»Vikings
»Bengals
»Cardinals
»Panthers
»Broncos

Teams that have appeared on "Hard Knocks" in the last 10 years
» Chiefs (2007)
» Cowboys (2008)
» Bengals (2009)
» Jets (2010)
» Dolphins (2012)
» Bengals (2013)
» Falcons (2014)
» Texans (2015)
» Rams (2016)

So who does that leave us? Under the league parameters, 24 teams are eliminated from mandatory inclusion.
It leaves us a group of eight: Bears, Buccaneers, Browns, Colts, Eagles, Ravens, Saints and Titans.

Our initial reaction: It feels like Hard Knocks has been doing a devil's dance with the Browns for years now, and the built-in
storylines: Year 2 of Hue, the well-worn but still compelling Factory Of Sadness back story and the No. 1 overall pick all lay a nice foundation.

Then again, HBO and NFL Films might prefer to document a team with more immediate promise than a Cleveland franchise in the midst of yet another hyper-rebuild.
The Season 11 study of the Rams gave us juice-deficient access what appeared to be a clearly mediocre (and as it turned out, much worse) Jeff Fisher team.

A perhaps more appeasing option that I will endorse: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a young team on the upswing with a charismatic franchise quarterback at the center of it all.
The Bucs could also use the publicity that Hard Knocks brings. It feels like a win-win for both sides.

One final reminder: Any team can volunteer to be on Hard Knocks. So while there's a good chance the team comes from this pool of eight, it is not definite.
OK, you can get back to your precious playoffs now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000769578/article/8-teams-eligible-for-mandatory-hard-knocks-inclusion

"24 teams are eliminated from mandatory inclusion. It leaves us a group of eight: Bears, Buccaneers, Browns, Colts, Eagles, Ravens, Saints and Titans."

I think the Bucs are a lock for this because of 1 guy, Jamies. I was not a fan of being on the show 1 year ago, but this year I actually want it to happen. I love the show but last years Rams was garbage. I for a change want to see this squad on. Get some Tampa publicity out there. Out of all those teams only the Bucs have a personality and his name is Jamies.

Browns suck so NO, Colts are boring so NO, Bears welll the Bears won't have Cutler and they Suck so No, Eagles are boring, Saints are a maybe and so are the Ravens because of Harbaugh. So out of the 3 if I am the NFL i pick the team that is on the rise with a personality. You got it TAMPA letsss gooooo
BucaRican

Re: BUCS 1 of 8 teams eligible for mandatory Hard Knocks

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:32 pm

No, it's distracting
Phantom Phenom

Postby Super K » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:37 pm

Let the Browns do that ****..
Super K

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:40 pm

BucaRican wrote:
A hearty thanks to old friend Will Brinson, who reminds us that we now have a roster of Hard Knocks eligible teams.

Yes, you can get excited about the tournament that ends with Super Bowl LI. I will focus on a premium cable series that won't air a first-run episode for eight months.

As fans of the ground-breaking documentary series are surely aware, NFL owners passed a resolution in 2013 stating that teams can avoid mandatory inclusion on Hard Knocks if they fall under any of three exemptions: 1) They have a first-year head coach in place; 2) They have a playoff berth in the past two seasons; 3) They have appeared on Hard Knocks in the past 10 years.

Let's break it down:

Teams that will have a new head coach in place
»49ers
»Bills
»Broncos
»Chargers
»Jaguars
»Rams

Teams that have had a playoff berth in the last two seasons
»Raiders
»Texans
»Dolphins
»Steelers
»Chiefs
»Patriots
»Lions
»Seahawks
»Giants
»Packers
»Falcons
»Cowboys
»Redskins
»Vikings
»Bengals
»Cardinals
»Panthers
»Broncos

Teams that have appeared on "Hard Knocks" in the last 10 years
» Chiefs (2007)
» Cowboys (2008)
» Bengals (2009)
» Jets (2010)
» Dolphins (2012)
» Bengals (2013)
» Falcons (2014)
» Texans (2015)
» Rams (2016)

So who does that leave us? Under the league parameters, 24 teams are eliminated from mandatory inclusion.
It leaves us a group of eight: Bears, Buccaneers, Browns, Colts, Eagles, Ravens, Saints and Titans.

Our initial reaction: It feels like Hard Knocks has been doing a devil's dance with the Browns for years now, and the built-in
storylines: Year 2 of Hue, the well-worn but still compelling Factory Of Sadness back story and the No. 1 overall pick all lay a nice foundation.

Then again, HBO and NFL Films might prefer to document a team with more immediate promise than a Cleveland franchise in the midst of yet another hyper-rebuild.
The Season 11 study of the Rams gave us juice-deficient access what appeared to be a clearly mediocre (and as it turned out, much worse) Jeff Fisher team.

A perhaps more appeasing option that I will endorse: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a young team on the upswing with a charismatic franchise quarterback at the center of it all.
The Bucs could also use the publicity that Hard Knocks brings. It feels like a win-win for both sides.

One final reminder: Any team can volunteer to be on Hard Knocks. So while there's a good chance the team comes from this pool of eight, it is not definite.
OK, you can get back to your precious playoffs now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000769578/article/8-teams-eligible-for-mandatory-hard-knocks-inclusion

"24 teams are eliminated from mandatory inclusion. It leaves us a group of eight: Bears, Buccaneers, Browns, Colts, Eagles, Ravens, Saints and Titans."

I think the Bucs are a lock for this because of 1 guy, Jamies. I was not a fan of being on the show 1 year ago, but this year I actually want it to happen. I love the show but last years Rams was garbage. I for a change want to see this squad on. Get some Tampa publicity out there. Out of all those teams only the Bucs have a personality and his name is Jamies.

Browns suck so NO, Colts are boring so NO, Bears welll the Bears won't have Cutler and they Suck so No, Eagles are boring, Saints are a maybe and so are the Ravens because of Harbaugh. So out of the 3 if I am the NFL i pick the team that is on the rise with a personality. You got it TAMPA letsss gooooo

If those are the only options then I predict the Titans will be the choice. If Winston did not have incidents in college then I would agree with you. Winston would of course capture the majority of airtime and they would be probably view that as too much of a risk, even though the Bucs would probably provide the most entertaining material.
Brazen331

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:49 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:No, it's distracting

For who? I love when fans say somethings going to be a distraction for the team.

On the other hand, what makes all of those teams the OP deemed as "BORING", well boring?
Bootz2004

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:31 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

For who? I love when fans say somethings going to be a distraction for the team.

On the other hand, what makes all of those teams the OP deemed as "BORING", well boring?

Excuse me Bootz, but it's been widely confirmed that Aguayo's struggles were largely part of being distracted by the BucZone's NSFW thread.
IchabodCrane84

Postby Fiasco » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:21 pm

Do it
Fiasco

Postby BucaRican » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:30 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Tell me a story line that Hard Knock can follow with all of those teams ?????? The story line for indy, Jim Irsay the druggie ? Browns do I really need to explain this? Browns intro "Hue Jackson promises to Jump and swim a lake if the Browns go 1-15 again"... Bears ???? DA BEARS??? Come on man unless they make some historical FA moves they are losing 2 of there storyline stars in Cutler and Jeffery's, and to be honest besides Jordan Howard I can't name another player on that team.... Eagles well this might not be so Boring but compared to the Bucs it is :P.......

Distraction??? Man these guys are on TV all the time so that is a non factor.
BucaRican

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:20 pm

BucaRican wrote:Distraction??? Man these guys are on TV all the time so that is a non factor.

This has been my argument. Pro athletes have cameras in their face ALL THE TIME. It's no distraction.

PLUS, Koetter has already been through Hard Knocks, when he was with Atlanta when they were on it a couple years ago.

I'd love to see the Bucs on there. It would be some good exposure for guys like Kwon Alexander.

The only negative aspect of it is, I don't know how it'll affect Jameis. He loves the cameras, but in our biggest games/national spotlight games, he stunk it up. I just want Jameis to keep to himself and teammates all offseason/training camp and work on improving his game to take the step into that upper echelon of NFL QBs.
pewterpirates

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:34 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

I'd actually like to hear Turk's take on this since he has said he's a former NFL player. I think I read where he said that anyway.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:41 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I'd actually like to hear Turk's take on this since he has said he's a former NFL player. I think I read where he said that anyway.

Yea is that even confirmed or do yall just choose to believe it?
Bootz2004

Postby Swashy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:47 pm

Pass
Swashy

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:56 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I'd actually like to hear Turk's take on this since he has said he's a former NFL player. I think I read where he said that anyway.

Not confirmed. What I believe is irrelevant.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Caradoc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I'd actually like to hear Turk's take on this since he has said he's a former NFL player. I think I read where he said that anyway.

Going back in the memory banks, but somewhere between 6 and 10 years ago either Scott or Jim at Pewter Report confirmed the poster using the "Dan Turk's Ghost" screen name there at that time as indeed a former Buc defensive player. (I believe Brad Culpepper was who he supposedly was but I'm not sure the actual name was ever verified, just that is was a Buc player).

That was several iterations of their message board ago, so whether the guy using it there now, or the guy using it here now is the same as back then, nobody can say.
Caradoc

Postby BucaRican » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:41 pm

YES YES YES .... COME ON PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....

Dirk Koetter OK with the idea of Bucs appearing on 'Hard Knocks'

http://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/16653/dirk-koetter-ok-with-the-idea-of-bucs-appearing-on-hard-knocks

After a 9-7 season in 2016 and an active free agency period, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have found their way into the national conversation. It also means they’ve found their way into the conversation to be the focus of HBO’s training-camp documentary "Hard Knocks," something head coach Dirk Koetter isn’t shooting down or shying away from. He believes it comes with the territory of having a good season.

“The NFL is the greatest game in the world," Koetter said Wednesday at the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix. "I have no fear of our guys -- there’s always gonna be guys who act different with the cameras on and some of that stuff can get a little corny, but our mission is the still the same, to figure out how to win the division and try to get in the tournament.”

Jameis Winston and Dirk Koetter -- who has experience with the 'Hard Knocks' crew from his time in Atlanta -- could become the HBO series' focus this summer. Chris O'Meara/AP
With Koetter’s dry sense of humor, Jameis Winston’s passionate locker-room speeches and the silly antics of Gerald McCoy (and his penchant for dressing up in funny costumes), it could make for good television. The emerging star power of Mike Evans certainly helps, as does the offseason acquisition of DeSean Jackson. Would Koetter be completely comfortable peeling back the curtain on his young team?

“We do have characters," Koetter said. “I don't know what they'll see because I have had experience with 'Hard Knocks' in Atlanta. Their cameras are everywhere. They pick what they show. Some things that I might have thought, ‘Man, that’s gonna look funny on Hard Knocks,’ it didn’t even show up on the program. They’re pros at that. They know what they’re doing."

One thing that will definitely need to be discussed is how they’d approach running back Doug Martin, who left the team with one game remaining last year to enter a drug treatment program. That’s a very delicate situation, one that could not and should not be ignored by the cameras, but would still require a certain amount of privacy. If done correctly, it could make for a compelling story about an important issue.

From a sheer football standpoint, the program might help win the Bucs some fans nationally. Before last year, the team hadn’t had a winning season since 2010.

“I think it could be good,” Koetter said. “I think when a team has not been one of the main faces of the league for a while, I think it can contribute to that, but the No. 1 thing that contributes to that is [to] win football games.”

If he is okay with it lets go HBO, sign us up!
BucaRican

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:45 pm

I don't see how fans would not want this if the coach is good with it.

Great platform for Jameis to up his star in the league.
real bucs fan

Postby BucaRican » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:53 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I don't see how fans would not want this if the coach is good with it.

Great platform for Jameis to up his star in the league.

Man HBO even made the Rams look someone interesting last YR and they sucked. The production and presentation of the show is great. And if its the Bucs it makes it 10 times better. How could people not want to see there team behind the scenes. The more Bucs coverage i get the better!
BucaRican

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Now would be as good of a time as any. I think everyone is pretty comfortable in their roles, team is getting better. There is really nothing to lose.
Bootz2004

Postby terrytate » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:04 pm

As for the Titans, Mariota is a good QB but bland as a ricecake. If I were the Hard Knocks staff, I'd be drooling over getting to film Jameis Winston. He one of the most compelling young faces in the whole league.

The Bucs in general would make for good TV. We have the leader, the rest of the crew is fairly talented and the Florida locale would look great on camera. The downside is that this would be yet another chance for Miko Grimes to snatch at her secondhand fame.
terrytate

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:37 am

Devil's advocate

What would be the compelling storylines for a team like the Bucs?

The team is on the upswing, most of the starters are entrenched. The coach is not in hot water either. There's always the drama of the outlier guys who are trying to make the cut, but by all accounts, OBP is a pretty positive atmosphere.

Would Hard Knocks in Tampa be good television or simply some nice PR for the franchise and it's fans?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:43 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Devil's advocate

The team is on the upswing, most of the starters are entrenched. The coach is not in hot water either. There's always the drama of the outlier guys who are trying to make the cut, but by all accounts, OBP is a pretty positive atmosphere.

Would Hard Knocks in Tampa be good television or simply some nice PR for the franchise and it's fans?

Nice PR. There are never these established storylines involved on the show. They always find them. Some rookie UDFA trying to make the team or some vet coming back from injury or players home lives. The offense slacking in TC. Joint practices with another team. Stuff like that. This is television. They can make any team look compelling. The Rams last year was perfect timing of something that (use to) rarely happen in the NFL. But this idea that these teams get chosen because they have some type of compelling story line is fiction.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:47 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Devil's advocate

Nice PR. There are never these established storylines involved on the show. They always find them. Some rookie UDFA trying to make the team or some vet coming back from injury or players home lives. The offense slacking in TC. Joint practices with another team. Stuff like that. This is television. They can make any team look compelling. The Rams last year was perfect timing of something that (use to) rarely happen in the NFL. But this idea that these teams get chosen because they have some type of compelling story line is fiction.

I'm not saying the team should or shouldn't be selected based on whether or not HBO thinks that they would be good television.

I'm asking if the Bucs would be good television if they were selected.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:09 am

I think we have some compelling individuals on this team, starting with Koetter and Jameis. I think those are 2 fantastic "leads" with dynamic personalities, and they obviously have a big role as the QB and coach anyway.

I"m starting to really hope this happens 8-)
real bucs fan

Postby Mike1989 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:13 am

Winning seasons
2001: Ravens, 10-6, 1-1 lost in divisional play offs
2008: Cowboys, 9-7, didn't qualify for play offs
2009: Bengals, 10-6, 0-1 lost wild card game
2010: Jets, 11-5, 2-1 lost in conference championship
2013: Bengals, 11-5, 0-1 lost wild card game
2015: Texans, 9-7, 0-1 lost wild card game

Losing seasons
2002: Cowboys, 5,11
2007: Chiefs, 4-12
2012: Dolphins, 7-9
2014: Falcons, 6-10
2016: Rams, 4-12

So 6 teams on the show have had winning seasons compared to 5 teams going on to have losing seasons, and 5 of those teams have made the play offs. With our team as it stands it shouldn't be an issue to have a strong season since we've got the quality to do well. I think it could be entertaining as well to see some of our players behind the scenes as well. All we have to do is make sure Jameis doesn't have any slip ups and say something the PC squad can have a[nother] do at him for...
Mike1989

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:04 pm

Hards knocks is due for a playoff team if the trend continues from the last 6 years.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:34 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I'm not saying the team should or shouldn't be selected based on whether or not HBO thinks that they would be good television.

I'm asking if the Bucs would be good television if they were selected.

Yes. Any team on that show makes goos TD.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:37 pm

I love goos TD.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:58 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I love goos TD.

But can every team make it?
PrimeMinister

Postby Rocker » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:55 am

PrimeMinister wrote:

Depends on the marinade, imho.
Rocker

Postby Brazen331 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:02 am

PrimeMinister wrote:

Yes. According to Bootz any team can make it so I take that to mean that every team can in fact make it until told different.
Brazen331

Next

Return to Team Discussions