***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Corsair » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:10 am

Sorry, VJax has been done for a while.

God knows I love him and everything he contributed to this team. He bridged the gap from the depths of despair to a bright future, and it's a shame that we couldn't give him a QB like Jameis five years ago.

But timing is what it is, and signing him to a deal in 2017 would be comparable to our pact with Tim Brown in 2004.
Corsair

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 am

```
Last edited by mdb1958 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:23 am

```
Last edited by mdb1958 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:31 am

```
Last edited by mdb1958 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:39 am

Doctor wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:We can still have two pups with Vjax on the roster. There's also a thing called the practice squad.

Exactly. No reason you can't develop a player from the 4th, 5th, or 6th spot. This isn't madden, they don't get better attributes the more you force feed them TDs. There's no reason why one should prevent the other. There are plenty of slots and there is the PS. And if a "young pup" can't beat out that old guy who you think has no legs anymore than should he REALLY be on the field at all? Really?

Four points:

One, reps matter. There are not equal reps for everyone on the roster. Reps are how players improve, and how they win jobs. Vincent Jackson being on the roster, likely as the 4th receiver, basically means we're not giving meaningful reps to a developmental player who might get better. We'd be locked in with 1 star, 2 old guys, and Adam Humphries, as our top four, and they'd get the lionshare of the reps, even if we did have another WR or two we liked.

Two, your "beat out the old guy" logic is how we ended up with the later Gruden Bucs, and the least amount of young talent in the league by the end. We kept signing old guys who knew the scheme (or how to learn the scheme), knew how to be pros, etc. Then we put them out there against 22 year old kids with potential, but whose heads were spinning. Then we said, "The old guy knows what he's doing! He gets the job." I don't want to go back to that.

Three, I'd rather have someone other than a 34 year old who can't run anymore in a spot where you generally put a key special teamer (4th WR.)

Four, as others have said, he's done. I don't know how this isn't apparent. Incredible awesome dude and probably our best FA signing since 2002, but it's over.
MJW

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:47 am

I love Vincent Jackson, one of the best FA pickups in Bucs history. But I'm leaning towards the put that in the past group. I don't think he has much left in the tank and he doesn't really compliment Evans well at this point. If we have an injury in camp and he's still looking for a deal then maybe you give him a call.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:52 am

Adam Schefter‏
Verified account
 @AdamSchefter 50m
50 minutes ago

Buccaneers are talking with at least three teams about moving back in 1st round, and maybe even out of first round altogether, per source.

Looks like the Bucs are trying to trade down. Maybe we'll get a 4th round pick and trade it for a long snapper.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Teitan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:59 am

Hmmmmmm. Very interesting.
Teitan

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:04 am

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
Adam Schefter‏
Verified account
 @AdamSchefter 50m
50 minutes ago

Buccaneers are talking with at least three teams about moving back in 1st round, and maybe even out of first round altogether, per source.

Looks like the Bucs are trying to trade down. Maybe we'll get a 4th round pick and trade it for a long snapper.

For some reason, my initial thought when reading this was "Jabrill Peppers."
Deja Entendu

Postby Teitan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:10 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:

Yeah could be with the timing of his diluted sample. Not sure they'd want to go down that road again with Dougs recent drug program issues.

If we could get enough ammo to trade back into the 2nd I wouldn't mind if we could come away with an Engram-Maye-Mixon type combo.
Teitan

Postby Heidguy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:14 am

mdb1958 wrote:```

Go home mdb1958, you're drunk!

Or...

Cool story bro, tell me more!
Heidguy

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:19 am

Miller4Prez64 wrote:I love Vincent Jackson, one of the best FA pickups in Bucs history. But I'm leaning towards the put that in the past group. I don't think he has much left in the tank and he doesn't really compliment Evans well at this point. If we have an injury in camp and he's still looking for a deal then maybe you give him a call.

Let's see what we do in the draft at WR then revisit the VJax subject. He's only started 14/32 games the past 2 seasons and will not be the player at 34 than he was at 30-31 before he started getting injured.

That said, we a one ankle sprain/hamstring injury to either Evans or DJax from being in the same clusterfuck at WR we've been in the past 2 seasons. We cannot afford to put our offense in the position again where we are relying on the Freddy Martinos and Bernard Reedys of the world to make plays in the 2nd half of the season. IT CAN'T HAPPEN!!

If we don't add a WR this weekend than I would have no issue with bringing Vjax back in 2017 on a cheap deal. He wants to be here and would be better depth at WR than we've had.
DreadNaught

Postby tjax03 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:01 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:

Trading out of the 1st?

Well if there was any draft to do it then it would be this one.

The draft is so deep. Id take two 2nds and 2 3rds any day.

Which my guess they may be heading towards foreman as our RB.

I guess no Dalvin Cook
tjax03

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:08 am

tjax03 wrote:I guess no Dalvin Cook

He's gonna be gone by 19 anyway.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Swashy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:17 am

We're talking about trading down? Come man... this is such a deep draft. This was a draft we could not possibly screw up because stud prospect was going to be available to us at #19 no matter what anyone else did and now we're possibly going to trade out of it? I get the logic for more picks due to how deep the draft is but Jesus Christ stop trying so damn hard to be smarter than everyone else. I'm gonna lol if our target players get snatched up and all we're left with is plan B players. Not that any of us would know who the Bucs actually wanted but common sense most often prevails such as when everyone knew we fucked the Giants royally when we traded up for Martin and they had to settle for someone else.
Swashy

Postby Teitan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:20 am

Swashy wrote:We're talking about trading down? Come man... this is such a deep draft. This was a draft we could not possibly screw up because stud prospect was going to be available to us at #19 no matter what anyone else did and now we're possibly going to trade out of it? I get the logic for more picks due to how deep the draft is but Jesus Christ stop trying so damn hard to be smarter than everyone else. I'm gonna lol if our target players get snatched up and all we're left with is plan B players. Not that any of us would know who the Bucs actually wanted but common sense most often prevails such as when everyone knew we fucked the Giants royally when we traded up for Martin and they had to settle for someone else.

If, for instance, we could get the Browns 2 seconds and a third it's a no brained. A stud or two will be there.
Teitan

Postby tjax03 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:22 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
tjax03 wrote:I guess no Dalvin Cook

Unless Carolina picks him up I dont see any other team ahead of us that will grab him. They have other more pressing needs.

My question is who wants the 19th pick? Its a middle of the road pick that doesnt offer much value. Everyone knows the value is in the later rounds. Giving those up for a 19th pick that could be a bust and you still have to pay as first round talent just doesn't seem like a deal to me.
tjax03

Postby ComingThisFall » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:28 am

Yeah I'm not going to be happy if we trade down and miss out on Njoku.
ComingThisFall

Postby Teitan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:35 am

tjax03 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Unless Carolina picks him up I dont see any other team ahead of us that will grab him. They have other more pressing needs.

My question is who wants the 19th pick? Its a middle of the road pick that doesnt offer much value. Everyone knows the value is in the later rounds. Giving those up for a 19th pick that could be a bust and you still have to pay as first round talent just doesn't seem like a deal to me.

That's why the Browns intrigue me. If they are trying to come up to get ahead of the Texans to get a falling Watson or Mahomes they may be desperate enough to give us a sweet deal.
Teitan

Postby ComingThisFall » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:40 am

Getting the Browns two second round picks for our forst would be a good deal for us. Thinking that we would get anything more than that is a pipe dream.
ComingThisFall

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:49 am

I'm gonna be livid if they trade back from 19 with a couple of impact players sitting there. And let's not forget, a couple of times Licht has traded back, everyone here was upset/confused as to why we didn't receive much for the trade back.

If we're trading back, especially trading out of the 1st round completely, it better be for a huge haul of at least an extra 2nd and 3rd.
pewterpirates

Postby Cheb » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:52 am

Teitan wrote:
tjax03 wrote:

That's why the Browns intrigue me. If they are trying to come up to get ahead of the Texans to get a falling Watson or Mahomes they may be desperate enough to give us a sweet deal.

True. If the Browns trade up with us, they have their pick of the quarterback litter, except the kid from North Carolina probably. They could get Garrett at number 1, BPA at 12, then their Quarterback of the Future at 19. That's a damn fine first round. Kevin Costner would approve.

The Browns have 12 picks in this draft, and not all of them will make the final squad. It would behoove them to add more quality than quantity.

Now, how do we make this happen?

The Browns have picks 33 and 47 in the second round, which equates to 1010 points of value. Our 19th pick is worth 875, so we need to add more to sweeten the deal but not a ton. If we added our third but gained their top of the fourth, that would make it about even.

The Browns grab another QBotF and have the potential to finally get their guy. We get a total of three second rounders is a deep draft to bolster our perilous depth. Especially since this draft will have first round talents in the second round, I would argue that we are getting the better deal. Still, I think that both parties could make the argument that they "won" the trade.
Last edited by Cheb on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheb

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:53 am

ComingThisFall wrote:Getting the Browns two second round picks for our forst would be a good deal for us. Thinking that we would get anything more than that is a pipe dream.

Correct. 19 for 33 & 52 is already slightly weighted in our favor. We won't get more than that.

It depends on who is there for us at 19. But I would be in favor of taking the Browns two 2nds for #19. But I would not take anything less.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:53 am

Heisenberg wrote:Yall must have really short memories cause vjax looked like trash last couple years.. Injuries or not.. Gave up on plays, slowed down at the end of routes, timing was always off with him. Our offense was usually better w/o him.

When???
Bootz2004

Postby Teitan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:32 am

DreadNaught wrote:
ComingThisFall wrote:Getting the Browns two second round picks for our forst would be a good deal for us. Thinking that we would get anything more than that is a pipe dream.

Correct. 19 for 33 & 52 is already slightly weighted in our favor. We won't get more than that.

It depends on who is there for us at 19. But I would be in favor of taking the Browns two 2nds for #19. But I would not take anything less.

From a strictly numbers stand point, yes. But if they are desperate enough to get up there and nab a QB they may be able to sweeten it. That would be a killer draft for them.

Garrett, Howard, Watson would be a nice haul for them. Well worth a 3rd or 4th round throw in. Like Cheb said, they have like 12 picks.
Teitan

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:43 am

DreadNaught wrote:

Yep, weigh it in our favor and go with it.
mdb1958

Postby ComingThisFall » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:45 am

Giving away picks would be a very Browns thing to do. I think the sound of 3 second round picks is probably making Licht drool. If given the chance I'll be hoping he doesn't get too cute with it.
ComingThisFall

Postby AMERICAN MUSCLE » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:45 am

We are ****ing stupid if we don't want a guy like Vincent Jackson on our team. He would sign for dirt cheap and he's healthy. He would probably end up winning the third "starting" spot on our team, why is that a bad thing? You're telling me he not better than Adam Humphries when fully healthy? I like Hump, btw.

How easily fans forget how much VJ produced for us. We would be a better team if he was here.
AMERICAN MUSCLE

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:47 am

Not even going to entertain moving out of the 1st. Not happening.
Bootz2004

Postby ComingThisFall » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:51 am

More speculation that I see the less I think it happens. With it being such a deep draft the odds of getting that trade down will not be in our favor.
ComingThisFall

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions