***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:29 pm

I actually got the vibe that Licht is hot for Cook, but that they are preparing as though he isn't going to be there. Sounds like they might not be against traing up either.

As well, definitely got the vibe that Licht is NOT hot for Mixon, and in fact, MIxon could be off his board.
real bucs fan

Postby Sammich » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Mex-Buc wrote:If you haven't listened to the Press Conferences the Bucs had today you should listen to the McCoy one, he really said something interest on how he was not leading this team correctly, he had some conversations with some of the best in the Pro Bowl.

He said these guys told him the truth on how to be a great one, if this team is going to the next level he has to improve on that, sounds pretty reasoning since his pre game speeches were so corny, nothing compared to a player that needs to imply fear on the opponent (Reminded me the Cowboys game where he had the pregame speech and saying "They are not talking about us, etc etc", a game where he was disappeared all freaking game).

Lots of interesting things said in McCoy's presser. Its a must watch.
Sammich

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Bucs N Beers wrote:GMAC has always been a guy that preached how he loved the game of football and he plays it because he loves it. Which is fine and great, but I think he's more of a "I love football" guy than a "I hate losing" guy.

Indeed. And if he was ever an "I hate losing guy" it got stomped out after years of losing and changing DCs constantly. I think he did totally become complacent with merely accepting losing and mediocrity while still loving and enjoying the game. Nice to sound like he's getting (back?) the fire to do more than just play but take it further. #WinstonEffect
Doctor

Postby Mex-Buc » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:30 pm

Sweezy #73 finally shows up..
Mex-Buc

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm

Sammich wrote:
Mex-Buc wrote:If you haven't listened to the Press Conferences the Bucs had today you should listen to the McCoy one, he really said something interest on how he was not leading this team correctly, he had some conversations with some of the best in the Pro Bowl.

He said these guys told him the truth on how to be a great one, if this team is going to the next level he has to improve on that, sounds pretty reasoning since his pre game speeches were so corny, nothing compared to a player that needs to imply fear on the opponent (Reminded me the Cowboys game where he had the pregame speech and saying "They are not talking about us, etc etc", a game where he was disappeared all freaking game).

The "Marpet for Center 2017" crowd will love it. McCoy gave as strong an opinion in favor of Marpet moving to center as anyone on this board. He believes Marpet would make a "dominant" center.
PrimeMinister

Postby tjax03 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:24 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I actually got the vibe that Licht is hot for Cook, but that they are preparing as though he isn't going to be there. Sounds like they might not be against traing up either.

As well, definitely got the vibe that Licht is NOT hot for Mixon, and in fact, MIxon could be off his board.

I have the strongest feeling the panthers will grab cook.

Anything to slight your division rival
tjax03

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 pm

tjax03 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I actually got the vibe that Licht is hot for Cook, but that they are preparing as though he isn't going to be there. Sounds like they might not be against traing up either.

A lot of talking heads in Panther land say McCaffrey is their number 1 RB and number 2 target after Garrett.
uscbucsfan

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:36 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
tjax03 wrote:

A lot of talking heads in Panther land say McCaffrey is their number 1 RB and number 2 target after Garrett.

They are saying that because they don't expect 4nette to fall to 8. I do agree that one of these guys will enter the division. I hope it's not 4nette.
Brazen331

Postby Swashy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:39 pm

@My previous responses

Well the idea wasn't to come in and be the dumbass in the room who said that he was against paying our guys well. I probably ended up doing that anyway but it's alright. I know that someone else will pay Winston and Evans top dollar if we do not but that's not necessarily the point. I'm not worried about them coming back because a great franchise will find a way to retain its franchise players. I just don't think you need to throw top dollar at players just because it's something you can do. Shooting for the top just seems silly because of the rate at which the salary cap is increasing. And I know it's crazy to worry about cap space nowadays. But call me optimistic enough to think that we're going to have several other great players join this franchise in the years to come and we're going to many greats at their position and we're gonna need the room down the road. So that's why I argue to just give Winston and Evans what they've earned. They're going to get paid very, very well no matter what happens. But like I said, if the Buccaneers deem that Winston and Evans are worthy of top salary then God bless them all.

When it all comes down to it I know we're not gonna get into a chicken fight with Winston and Evans when the time comes to get a deal done and I'm looking forward to many magical years of Winston to Evans.
Swashy

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:43 pm

tjax03 wrote:

I'm worried about the Eagles.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:26 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Sammich wrote:

The "Marpet for Center 2017" crowd will love it. McCoy gave as strong an opinion in favor of Marpet moving to center as anyone on this board. He believes Marpet would make a "dominant" center.

Marpet at Center? Never going to happen brah!!! Guards switching to Center is crazy talk for casual fans.
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:52 pm

Sammich wrote:

Indeed. He did a lot of coach speak at some questions, particularly about his teammates. But had some of the most authentic answers I've heard in a presser in a long time when it came to questions about himself.

http://www.buccaneers.com/videos/videos ... 48364d0874
Doctor

Postby Caradoc » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:37 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Marpet at Center? Never going to happen brah!!! Guards switching to Center is crazy talk for casual fans.

Obviously the team thinks he isn't good enough to play guard.
Caradoc

Postby Caradoc » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:39 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Caradoc wrote:

That's the big question. It wasn't just routes, it was quitting on blocking and attitude in general. His body language was visibly awful multiple times even just from the live TV view. I think he made up his mind he was done with the coaching changes and quit. Maybe he regrets it now, but he wasn't a presence even before his injury.

He didnt give a damn? Why not go with beat up, injured, and then put on IR. I'm sure if one of your knees isnt working right it might look like your giving up.

Your excuse might make sense if he hadn't been playing like crap long before he injured the knee. Nor would it ever explain away the body language.
Caradoc

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:28 am

Caradoc wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

He didnt give a damn? Why not go with beat up, injured, and then put on IR. I'm sure if one of your knees isnt working right it might look like your giving up.

Your excuse might make sense if he hadn't been playing like crap long before he injured the knee. Nor would it ever explain away the body language.

Was it the same knee he hurt in 2015 or the other one?
mdb1958

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:01 am

Caradoc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Obviously the team thinks he isn't good enough to play guard.

The last minute or so of the McCoy presser had to sound like nails on a chalkboard to the resident professional fan. :lol: :lol:
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:20 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Caradoc wrote:Obviously the team thinks he isn't good enough to play guard.

The last minute or so of the McCoy presser had to sound like nails on a chalkboard to the resident professional fan. :lol: :lol:

Who is the resident professional fan?
mdb1958

Postby Noles1724 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:23 am

mdb1958 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

you
Noles1724

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:42 am

Packers LB AJ Hawk announces his retirement today.
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Noles1724 wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

you

I have never commented about Marpet moving to center. I will be hoping McCoy does what he says, he musta not liked me calling him gapshooter.
mdb1958

Postby Mex-Buc » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Seems like we will have Hard Knocks after all..

All indications are that the HBO sports documentary series, in conjunction with NFL Films, has chosen to go to training camp with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The team has scheduled a news conference for 1 p.m. Wednesday for an undisclosed ‘major announcement.’

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/bucs ... ks/2320682
Mex-Buc

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:43 pm

I just listened to McCoy's presser and I came away with a few things:

- He seems a bit jealous /pissed off with the Winston being the LEADER of the team. The way he said, It is all good and all to have a francise qb but the leader of the team should be on defense. That just sounded like jealousy to me

- The three credible sources seem as if they REALLY played on his ego. Reading through the lines it appears as if they said something to this effect to him: "Dude, you were there WAY before Jameis! That is YOUR team! How are you going to let a young kid take over your team!

- After seven seasons of playing in the nfl, he JUST realize that he needs to step up his play/leadership? I call bs! McCoy is who he is. A smiley face nice guy! I have often said one of the greatest dline man was Reggie White. Off the field he was a saint BUT on the field he was satan himself. McCoy is just too nice ON the damn field. And I do not see this changing now!

- I am happy that McCoy knows I am one of the few fans who feel like we should trade his nice smiley face ass while he still has value. Don't get me wrong, he is a decent dt, BUT he just lacks IT, dog, fire, etc! I am certain we can parlay him for a net positive in players/draft picks.

In conclusion, I would LOVE for McCoy to turn into that alpha dog Ala Sapp, Reggie White, Lt etc; BUT I highly doubt it. You are what you are and after seven years he is not going to turn into a "nasty animal" all of a sudden. Also, the dude is just NOT a vocal leader. He comes across as being fake and phoney when he is TRYING to inspire the team. Thus we will be stuck with Gerald "Smileyface" McCoy!
bahamian:bucfan

Postby Buc2 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:17 pm

bahamian:bucfan wrote:I just listened to McCoy's presser and I came away with a few things:

- He seems a bit jealous /pissed off with the Winston being the LEADER of the team. The way he said, It is all good and all to have a francise qb but the leader of the team should be on defense. That just sounded like jealousy to me

- The three credible sources seem as if they REALLY played on his ego. Reading through the lines it appears as if they said something to this effect to him: "Dude, you were there WAY before Jameis! That is YOUR team! How are you going to let a young kid take over your team!

- After seven seasons of playing in the nfl, he JUST realize that he needs to step up his play/leadership? I call bs! McCoy is who he is. A smiley face nice guy! I have often said one of the greatest dline man was Reggie White. Off the field he was a saint BUT on the field he was satan himself. McCoy is just too nice ON the damn field. And I do not see this changing now!

- I am happy that McCoy knows I am one of the few fans who feel like we should trade his nice smiley face ass while he still has value. Don't get me wrong, he is a decent dt, BUT he just lacks IT, dog, fire, etc! I am certain we can parlay him for a net positive in players/draft picks.

In conclusion, I would LOVE for McCoy to turn into that alpha dog Ala Sapp, Reggie White, Lt etc; BUT I highly doubt it. You are what you are and after seven years he is not going to turn into a "nasty animal" all of a sudden. Also, the dude is just NOT a vocal leader. He comes across as being fake and phoney when he is TRYING to inspire the team. Thus we will be stuck with Gerald "Smileyface" McCoy!

As far as I'm concerned, he can smile all he wants on his way to pounding the QB or RB.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Cheb » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Buc2 wrote:
bahamian:bucfan wrote:I just listened to McCoy's presser and I came away with a few things:

As far as I'm concerned, he can smile all he wants on his way to pounding the QB or RB.

Seconded.

It doesn't bother me that McCoy isn't mean on the football field. He is a very effective player with his naturally sunny disposition. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to be an ***hole to be good at football. Hell, you don't even need to be mean.

What does bother me is when he tries to be something or someone he is not. People can smell it when something is inauthentic, and when that stench is coming from a person, it reeks. He needs to cut that **** out. Be your own man, and stand in the truth of the man that you are.
Cheb

Postby threadkiller » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:28 pm

I love the man that Gerald McCoy has always presented as a Buccaneer. Watched his presser, what jumped out at me most was how he concluded his soliloquy on the advice he'd gotten. He talked about improvements he needs to make for his legacy in football to be what he wants it to be so he can be what he wants to be for Tampa. Almost under his breath, but I took it as meaning his life after football. I believe he genuinely wants to be a positive impact on our community and that's part of his focus in football. Which is obviously awesome and we are blessed to have people like Gerald McCoy making our area home. I disagree with those who say his on field demeanor isn't/hasn't been a problem for our team. This really made me crazy:

https://youtu.be/zFJZDycwDyM

"Chill, relax, settle down"

I was seeing red. You can not lead an NFL defense with the mentality that Gerald displays on the field, imo. You can be one of the guys and be like that. The happy go lucky playmaker. You can not be the leader and tell your guys to calm down coming out of a fumble scrum. Blow out loss or not. Blow out loss especially, imo. I don't think it's Gerald's fault that we haven't developed a real defensive leader, but I also don't think it's in his personality to be that. I hope that was part of the advice he got. Find a switch to a harder place, in all phases of his mentality on the field.
threadkiller

Postby Cheb » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:41 am

threadkiller wrote:I love the man that Gerald McCoy has always presented as a Buccaneer. Watched his presser, what jumped out at me most was how he concluded his soliloquy on the advice he'd gotten. He talked about improvements he needs to make for his legacy in football to be what he wants it to be so he can be what he wants to be for Tampa. Almost under his breath, but I took it as meaning his life after football. I believe he genuinely wants to be a positive impact on our community and that's part of his focus in football. Which is obviously awesome and we are blessed to have people like Gerald McCoy making our area home. I disagree with those who say his on field demeanor isn't/hasn't been a problem for our team. This really made me crazy:

https://youtu.be/zFJZDycwDyM

"Chill, relax, settle down"

I was seeing red. You can not lead an NFL defense with the mentality that Gerald displays on the field, imo. You can be one of the guys and be like that. The happy go lucky playmaker. You can not be the leader and tell your guys to calm down coming out of a fumble scrum. Blow out loss or not. Blow out loss especially, imo. I don't think it's Gerald's fault that we haven't developed a real defensive leader, but I also don't think it's in his personality to be that. I hope that was part of the advice he got. Find a switch to a harder place, in all phases of his mentality on the field.

I see no problem with the video clip you posted.

The scrum, as you described it, consisted of four Bucs and the one Titan, who had just been gang tackled and fumbled while going down. A Buc at the bottom of the pile announced that he had the ball. The other three Bucs in the pile were loudly confirming it, yelling and pointing. Gerald was on the outside of the pile, so he stood up and assessed the situation. The turnover was not in question. He told his guys to settle down.

The fact that we were down by 35 points with less than 13 minutes left probably figured into that, but even in a close game, you don't need your teammates freaking out over obvious things.

Sometimes my players go ape **** about making a routine play. I tell them to lock it up and get ready for the next snap.

While playing with emotion can be good, it can quickly be poisoned into bipolar garbage, a player being elated one minute, then giving out late hits and stupid penalties the next. It's dangerous and probably will backfire sooner rather than later.

Part of being a leader is to keep your team level. By that, I mean to reel them in when they get too high and to elevate them when they get too low. Gerald was reeling them in. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Maybe I'm just a West Coast hippie, but expecting professional football players to behave like, ya know, professionals, isn't a bad thing.
Cheb

Postby Caradoc » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:37 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:
you

I have never commented about Marpet moving to center. I will be hoping McCoy does what he says, he musta not liked me calling him gapshooter.

He was teasing, we all know who the only non-casual fan here is...
Caradoc

Postby Caradoc » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:44 am

WOW.

OK, I have been one of McCoy's critics here, though not his biggest one, but dayum, I got a 180 degree different read from you on that presser. It sounded to me like McCoy just owned a whole **** ton of the criticism that has been leveled his way over the years. The "where was he in the 4th quarter" has been a staple criticism, and he just owned it. The leadership style, he just owned he was doing it wrong.

That presser was just about everything a critic of the guy would want to hear, him owning it and promising to do better.

It sure as **** wasn't him being pissy.

It wasn't "it appears as if they said something to this effect to him: "Dude, you were there WAY before Jameis! That is YOUR team! How are you going to let a young kid take over your team!"

It was, "you shouldn't have needed Jameis to clean up your ****, stop being a puppy and be a dawg!". And him owning that he hasn't been the guy he was supposed to be.

Good for him. Damn good for him. And good for us if he takes it to heart.
Caradoc

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:27 am

Cook = wrong move - even if good - mdb.
mdb1958

Postby Bucs N Beers » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:48 am

I'm glad it's weighed in him for months. I hope he's sick to his stomach and ready to explode. His goofy red spot in his hair is gone. Hopefully he's all business this year and less chuckles.

And I'm a big fan of Gerald. Think he's a really good player. But he hasn't been what he could be.
Bucs N Beers

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions