***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
post

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Teitan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 pm

I keep forgetting that we still have Huff at WR. Do we think he will develop into anything having a full training camp with the offense? At the very least it's nice if he battles Hump for that #3 spot giving us a decent #4 either way. That would keep thebReedy's and Dye's off the field.
User avatar
Teitan
 
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:47 pm

Teitan wrote:I keep forgetting that we still have Huff at WR. Do we think he will develop into anything having a full training camp with the offense? At the very least it's nice if he battles Hump for that #3 spot giving us a decent #4 either way. That would keep thebReedy's and Dye's off the field.


No
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 18239
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 395 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby LoRdNlKoN » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:48 pm

MJW wrote:
LoRdNlKoN wrote:From Jenna on ESPN:

I'm told that the Bucs met with and worked out WVU center Tyler Orlosky on Monday. 6-foot-3, 298 pounds. Three-year starter. Played both guard and center. Bucs value versatility with their offensive linemen, so that's a plus.


He'd make sense in the 3rd.



I am a of the opinion we should draft at least 1 offensive and 1 defensive lineman in every draft :D
User avatar
LoRdNlKoN
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:47 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 am

LoRdNlKoN wrote:
MJW wrote:
He'd make sense in the 3rd.



I am a of the opinion we should draft at least 1 offensive and 1 defensive lineman in every draft :D


I'd be good with at least 1 OL, at least 1 DL, 1 QB, and 1 CB every single draft ;)
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 6647
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 286 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:40 am

I'm of the opinion one should never pigeon hole themselves. :)

As for Orlosky, I've watched him a bit, but he seemed a bit cumbersome/unathletic for the type of center I perceive Koetter to like. Liked everything else about him though and do hope we take an OL at somepoint.
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 5561
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 541 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:10 am

MJW wrote:
LoRdNlKoN wrote:From Jenna on ESPN:

I'm told that the Bucs met with and worked out WVU center Tyler Orlosky on Monday. 6-foot-3, 298 pounds. Three-year starter. Played both guard and center. Bucs value versatility with their offensive linemen, so that's a plus.


He'd make sense in the 3rd.

He's a Mountaineer, of course he makes sense!
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 8557
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 495 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Teitan wrote:I keep forgetting that we still have Huff at WR. Do we think he will develop into anything having a full training camp with the offense? At the very least it's nice if he battles Hump for that #3 spot giving us a decent #4 either way. That would keep thebReedy's and Dye's off the field.


No


I'd be shocked if Huff makes the team. With D-Jax here, there is no need to keep a homeless man's version of him on the roster when he's healthy.
Miller4Prez64
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Nano » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:18 pm

Doug Martin apparently completed his rehab in February
User avatar
Nano
 
Posts: 6254
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm
Location: Somewhere above Tampa
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:28 pm

Nano wrote:Doug Martin apparently completed his rehab in February




And?
mdb1958
 
Posts: 6990
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 134 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Four Verticals » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:01 pm

Swashy wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Keep in mind Licht is a former olineman who is now a GM. We also have one of the best oline coaches in the game. I will trust their assessments.


Not saying to not trust Licht but Matt Millen was an o-lineman and I wouldn't trust his assessment on a damn thing.


How was Millen with Linebackers since that's the position he played.
Four Verticals
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:12 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby deltbucs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:28 am

Four Verticals wrote:
Swashy wrote:
Not saying to not trust Licht but Matt Millen was an o-lineman and I wouldn't trust his assessment on a damn thing.


How was Millen with Linebackers since that's the position he played.

Well, if memory serves me correct, pretty sure he spent a top 10 pick on Ernie Sims. So, it doesn't look like playing LB helped him with evaluating LB talent.
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 4191
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Doctor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:49 am

Swashy wrote:lmfao looks like we're gonna continue to cut corners at o-line then. It's almost like Licht thinks, "We drafted Smith, Marpet and signed Sweezy. WE. ARE. GOOD!" maybe some truth to his prior statements. I'm not bagging the guy but we really need some more new blood around here. At least a new RT if we can get one because in other news: Gosder Cherilus announced his retirement. So thank God for that.

What corners have we cut? Why do we need a "new" RT? Is this the Barney rule, newer is always better?
Dotson is a good RT, though he didn't have a great year last year, and there is NO ONE in this draft that will come in and beat him out for the job. No one. So we'd be drafting DEPTH at RT with potential to groom... but we did that last year in Benenoch. Is the "new" label only good for a year, is he expired now? Can he no longer be groomed to take over?
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 4153
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby MJW » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 am

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... to-aguayo/

Some perspective on why the Aguayo pick wasn't even a good one in terms of, "He was awesome in college!," which is the one refuge of Seminole homers Aguayo fans who were so excited.

It really doesn't sound like he was.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 6647
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 286 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby GameTime » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:51 am

Doctor wrote:What corners have we cut? Why do we need a "new" RT? Is this the Barney rule, newer is always better?
Dotson is a good RT, though he didn't have a great year last year, and there is NO ONE in this draft that will come in and beat him out for the job. No one. So we'd be drafting DEPTH at RT with potential to groom... but we did that last year in Benenoch. Is the "new" label only good for a year, is he expired now? Can he no longer be groomed to take over?
agree with most of this. I dont think we should draft a developmental guy just to draft a guy, unless the wester/benenoch experience is over. But im also not so sure a robinson/bolles/etc might not be able to come in and start this next season. Probably not likely,
GameTime
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:45 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:03 pm

GameTime wrote:
Doctor wrote:What corners have we cut? Why do we need a "new" RT? Is this the Barney rule, newer is always better?
Dotson is a good RT, though he didn't have a great year last year, and there is NO ONE in this draft that will come in and beat him out for the job. No one. So we'd be drafting DEPTH at RT with potential to groom... but we did that last year in Benenoch. Is the "new" label only good for a year, is he expired now? Can he no longer be groomed to take over?
agree with most of this. I dont think we should draft a developmental guy just to draft a guy, unless the wester/benenoch experience is over. But im also not so sure a robinson/bolles/etc might not be able to come in and start this next season. Probably not likely,


Yeah I'm fine w/ our starting Tackles from last season. But Dotson's time is running out and we likely don't have his replacement on the roster. So if Ram/Cam is the pick at 19 to take over in 2018 that is smart imo.

The position we need to upgrade the talent is Center along the Oline. I don't see how you can watch Hawley/Evan Smith last season and be comfortable our run game and pass protection got better this offseason.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 9271
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 372 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Doctor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:32 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
GameTime wrote:agree with most of this. I dont think we should draft a developmental guy just to draft a guy, unless the wester/benenoch experience is over. But im also not so sure a robinson/bolles/etc might not be able to come in and start this next season. Probably not likely,


Yeah I'm fine w/ our starting Tackles from last season. But Dotson's time is running out and we likely don't have his replacement on the roster. So if Ram/Cam is the pick at 19 to take over in 2018 that is smart imo.

The position we need to upgrade the talent is Center along the Oline. I don't see how you can watch Hawley/Evan Smith last season and be comfortable our run game and pass protection got better this offseason.

I agree as well, the draft is simply not a place to target positions. When you do you miss out on much better talents at other positions. It's sit back and take BPA, and sometimes that falls in line with some needs, sometimes not. You can then pick up UDFA or second-chance veterans that were post draft cuts to be the "new" guy with development/grooming to starter potential. And failure doesn't cost us like failing on a pick.

I don't hate the idea of a Cam/Ram pick as much as I may seem to. I just don't think either are anywhere near the top 20 talented prospects in this draft and are merely benefiting from the lack of talent in their high-demand position. I'd happily take either in the second, even trade up a bit in the second to do so. But not at 19.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 4153
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:26 pm

MJW wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/20/so-why-did-the-buccaneers-draft-roberto-aguayo/

Some perspective on why the Aguayo pick wasn't even a good one in terms of, "He was awesome in college!," which is the one refuge of Seminole homers Aguayo fans who were so excited.

It really doesn't sound like he was.



You know..I don't think it was the Seminole Homers (myself included) beating the drum for the guy...
Super K
 
Posts: 5096
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:40 pm

Doctor wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Yeah I'm fine w/ our starting Tackles from last season. But Dotson's time is running out and we likely don't have his replacement on the roster. So if Ram/Cam is the pick at 19 to take over in 2018 that is smart imo.

The position we need to upgrade the talent is Center along the Oline. I don't see how you can watch Hawley/Evan Smith last season and be comfortable our run game and pass protection got better this offseason.

I agree as well, the draft is simply not a place to target positions. When you do you miss out on much better talents at other positions. It's sit back and take BPA, and sometimes that falls in line with some needs, sometimes not. You can then pick up UDFA or second-chance veterans that were post draft cuts to be the "new" guy with development/grooming to starter potential. And failure doesn't cost us like failing on a pick.

I don't hate the idea of a Cam/Ram pick as much as I may seem to. I just don't think either are anywhere near the top 20 talented prospects in this draft and are merely benefiting from the lack of talent in their high-demand position. I'd happily take either in the second, even trade up a bit in the second to do so. But not at 19.


When was the last time NO Offensive Tackle got drafted in the round 1?

As you said, it's a high demand position.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 9271
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 372 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby deltbucs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Super K wrote:
MJW wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/20/so-why-did-the-buccaneers-draft-roberto-aguayo/

Some perspective on why the Aguayo pick wasn't even a good one in terms of, "He was awesome in college!," which is the one refuge of Seminole homers Aguayo fans who were so excited.

It really doesn't sound like he was.



You know..I don't think it was the Seminole Homers (myself included) beating the drum for the guy...

Yeah...I sure wasn't excited. I don't remember all these Seminole homers being excited about the pick.
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 4191
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Sammich » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:It's a 2 year deal. Probably on the low end. At this point are there better options on the market? Probably not. So re-sign him now. You can't leave the position blank going into the draft and force yourself into drafting a center. Not only would we be forced to draft one, we'd probably be forced to start a rookie without competition or the benefit of development. There's no downside to re-signing Hawley.



I agree with this completely. When it comes to the draft you have to play the hand you're dealt and so it makes total sense to have as much talent on hand as possible beforehand. If the draft falls to where we have a good center option then great- we have good depth. If it doesn't then no problem- at least we have somebody to play the position who isn't an overdrafted rookie that probably isn't ready. Licht has made some flubs here and there, but I agree with his pre draft strategy. It leaves us in the position to get he most out of our picks.
Sammich
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Four Verticals » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:52 pm

deltbucs wrote:
Four Verticals wrote:
How was Millen with Linebackers since that's the position he played.

Well, if memory serves me correct, pretty sure he spent a top 10 pick on Ernie Sims. So, it doesn't look like playing LB helped him with evaluating LB talent.


No argument from me. He just wasn't an o-lineman.
Four Verticals
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:12 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:13 am

The board flipped out when the pick went down like it did, but I do recall a handful of folks mocking Aguayo last year.

Nobody in the second, though.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 8557
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 495 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:12 am

MJW wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/20/so-why-did-the-buccaneers-draft-roberto-aguayo/

Some perspective on why the Aguayo pick wasn't even a good one in terms of, "He was awesome in college!," which is the one refuge of Seminole homers Aguayo fans who were so excited.

It really doesn't sound like he was.


I read that yesterday and got disgusted again with the pick. Not sure what Licht was seeing.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 5959
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 151 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby BucJordan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:59 pm

From Greg Auman today on Twitter:

"Center Joe Hawley's deal with Bucs is two years, $5.5-million. Only guaranteed money is $1-million roster bonus. $3m total in first year."

That deal certainly looks constructed like an insurance policy to me. Little to no cost to cut bait if we draft a replacement.
BucJordan
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:16 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Super K » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:23 pm

BucJordan wrote:From Greg Auman today on Twitter:

"Center Joe Hawley's deal with Bucs is two years, $5.5-million. Only guaranteed money is $1-million roster bonus. $3m total in first year."

That deal certainly looks constructed like an insurance policy to me. Little to no cost to cut bait if we draft a replacement.


Yep..
Super K
 
Posts: 5096
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby MJW » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:22 pm

BucJordan wrote:From Greg Auman today on Twitter:

"Center Joe Hawley's deal with Bucs is two years, $5.5-million. Only guaranteed money is $1-million roster bonus. $3m total in first year."

That deal certainly looks constructed like an insurance policy to me. Little to no cost to cut bait if we draft a replacement.


I feel better after reading that. It's a absolutely a one-year deal and nothing about it precludes us from upgrading if the opportunity (in April, or next March, or next April) arises.

I still wish we'd made a clean break, but I understand why we didn't if there wasn't a clear, major upgrade. Might as well keep the scrub who knows the calls (etc) over the scrub off the street.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 6647
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 286 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Naismith » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:35 am

McDougald to Seahawks on a one year deal for $2m. With four FA losses and three FA additions, as of right now, the Bucs would likely receive one 7th round comp pick.
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:37 am

Naismith wrote:McDougald to Seahawks on a one year deal for $2m. With four FA losses and three FA additions, as of right now, the Bucs would likely receive one 7th round comp pick.


Whoopee a 7th rounder!! (Not directed at you Naismith but towards the process)..
Super K
 
Posts: 5096
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Naismith » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:41 am

It would be nice if Desean's deal somehow worked out to a 4th rounder in the compensatory formula so the Bucs get to keep a 3rd for Glennon but it doesn't seem like that's likely with his APY.
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby Doctor » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:48 am

Naismith wrote:McDougald to Seahawks on a one year deal for $2m. With four FA losses and three FA additions, as of right now, the Bucs would likely receive one 7th round comp pick.

Wow, we couldn't f-cking beat that?? Come the F on!
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 4153
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 111 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Team Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests

cron