Will the Cleveland Browns go winless?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Will the Cleveland Browns go winless?

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:32 am

http://www.wkyc.com/mb/sports/nfl/brown ... /351114504

Will the Browns be 4th team to join Cowboys,Bucs and Lions winless season? Good chance
Phantom Phenom

Re: Will the Cleveland Browns go winless?

Postby Nano » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:49 am

I think there is a very legit possibility of them going 0-16. Their last 6 games consist of Pittsburgh(2x), Cincy, Giants, Chargers, and Bills. They will, and should, be heavy underdogs in all those games.

Question for the Browns though is if they keep Hue. How do you sell your fans a guy who literally lost every single game he's coached for you(even in preseason where they went 0-4).
Nano

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:51 am

The Steelers have been playing to their competition all year.

Just watch.. Browns will win
Crocaneers

Postby Caradoc » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:24 am

Nano wrote:I think there is a very legit possibility of them going 0-16. Their last 6 games consist of Pittsburgh(2x), Cincy, Giants, Chargers, and Bills. They will, and should, be heavy underdogs in all those games.

Question for the Browns though is if they keep Hue. How do you sell your fans a guy who literally lost every single game he's coached for you(even in preseason where they went 0-4).

Hue isn't going anywhere. You don't need to "sell" him to your fans, people know what a clusterfuck that team has been long before him.
Caradoc

Postby MJW » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:11 am

Caradoc wrote:
Nano wrote:I think there is a very legit possibility of them going 0-16. Their last 6 games consist of Pittsburgh(2x), Cincy, Giants, Chargers, and Bills. They will, and should, be heavy underdogs in all those games.

Hue isn't going anywhere. You don't need to "sell" him to your fans, people know what a clusterfuck that team has been long before him.

This. First they let basically all their free agents walk. Then when they traded back from #2 (and then back AGAIN from #8) it was an acknowledgement that this was a long-term project.

Sure, 0-16 would suck and there would be grumbling from some of the dumber fans that he should go, but I think Browns fans are smart enough to see where that mentality has gotten them. Frankly, they shouldn't expect a winning record before 2019 IMHO. They're sub-expansion team right now, and unlike most expansion teams, they don't even have the prospective QB yet.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:07 am

No
Bootz2004

Postby Watchout4Bucs » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:49 am

You would think they could put it together. Living in Cleveland. These fans stopped really caring this year with Cavs winning the championship and Indians going to the world series. Everyone knew the Browns would be bad, but the sting of losing is gone. Talk shows here barely talk the Browns, rather talking about the Cavs since their season may started.

When they do talk about thr Browns it is questions like this. Will there be a coach change, will they win a game, and how long will this take. I would like ti think they can win a game with their backs against the wall. Jamie Collins might be the difference makee they had hoped for. RGIII could be the guy they wanted and win a couple games, screwing then it is the 1st overall. But that defense is historically bad. So we will see.

Hue isn't going anywhere. Fans are tired of the coaching carousel. They would rather take their chances with Hue for 5 years and the new front office then go through blowing this up again. Everyone knows they aren't going to be good next year either. It wilk take a series of solid drafts and FA.

I will say, I think they had an above average draft this year and will be even better next year. Maybe they try and trade for Romo or something else to fill that QB void with how weak the QB class this year. I know that Jackson won't force this.
Watchout4Bucs

Postby deltbucs » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:02 am

Caradoc wrote:

The Bucs (the Browns South) kept Lovie after he won only 2 games. Not that, that makes it a good idea.
deltbucs

Postby Nano » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:23 pm

Caradoc wrote:

We are talking about the Browns though. Their owner has only been there since 2012, but he's already fired a guy after his first season, and 2 guys after their second. Hue isn't a lock to stay.
Nano

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:08 pm

If they go 0-16 this season, that means they'd start the 2017 season losers of 19 in a row since they lost their last 3 of '15.

It would be nice if they could run that losing streak up to 27 games, for obvious reasons.
pewterpirates

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:06 am

0-11
Phantom Phenom

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:19 am

They have the very beat up Bengals coming up in 2 weeks. Probably their best shot.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:42 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:They have the very beat up Bengals coming up in 2 weeks. Probably their best shot.

Agreed, I actually think they win that game and go 1-15. But 0-16 is a legit possibility for this team. They are terrible.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Doctor » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:21 am

I see them pulling off a sneaky win like the Dolphins did a few years back to end up 1-15.
Doctor

Postby Nano » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:20 pm

0-12
Nano

Postby Super K » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:25 pm

Having a HUGE Browns fan as a good friend, I feel bad for them...

They've sucked for SO long and now they have to endure THIS kind of season? And the kicker is, they don't even get to draft a franchise QB as a "reward"...

Holy hell..only Cleveland...
Super K

Postby Doctor » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:41 pm

What ever QB the Browns draft will fail because they don't have the balls to do what Fisher did.
Doctor

Postby 81mm Shake and Bake » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:43 pm

Doctor wrote:What ever QB the Browns draft will fail because they don't have the balls to do what Fisher did.

Lose a shitton of games? Pretty sure Cleveland has that covered...
81mm Shake and Bake

Postby Buc2 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Bengals
@Bills
Chargers
@Steelers

Yep. 0-16 is looking like a good bet. I think their best chance to win a game is this week vs an imploding Bengals team.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:06 pm

Doctor wrote:What ever QB the Browns draft will fail because they don't have the balls to do what Fisher did.

Which is?
Deja Entendu

Postby Super K » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:12 pm

**** Jeff Fisher.. you've come to the wrong place to try and give THAT guy any credit, for anything...

And to your point, what is Cleveland supposed to say "hey..see what the coach with the most losses in the history of the league did? Yeah, let's use that as our blueprint for success!"

GTFOH
Super K

Postby Buc You » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:20 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:

Which is?

A bunch of 7-9 bullshit?
Buc You

Postby Doctor » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:47 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:

Which is?

Sit the top pick. I can't remember a coach in the past decade having the balls to bench and groom the top pick in the draft. Think the last one was maybe Eli?
Doctor

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Doctor wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:

Which is?

Sit the top pick. I can't remember a coach in the past decade having the balls to bench and groom the top pick in the draft. Think the last one was maybe Eli?

Chad Pennington comes to mind. Drafted 2000 (I know you said decade, but still) .. and did not play until Testy got hurt (2002) .. held a clip board, watched, etc .. no he did not set the world fire but it's there.
Crocaneers

Postby Mike1989 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:42 pm

Buc2 wrote:Bengals
@Bills
Chargers
@Steelers

Yep. 0-16 is looking like a good bet. I think their best chance to win a game is this week vs an imploding Bengals team.

I tend to agree that 0-16 is looking like a good bet for them, though there is potential for them to win one or two of those games. The Bengals have struggled this season, the Bills only just managed to get past Jacksonville and have been up and down all season, the Chargers love to give games away, and the Steelers could rest key players if they have sealed the division and their spot in the play offs. Personally I think they will go 0-16, but if RGIII returns and manages to put something together for them (doubtful but I suppose possible), then I guess they could always spring a surprise or two before the season's end.
Mike1989

Postby Doctor » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:13 pm

Crocaneers wrote:
Doctor wrote:Sit the top pick. I can't remember a coach in the past decade having the balls to bench and groom the top pick in the draft. Think the last one was maybe Eli?

Chad Pennington comes to mind. Drafted 2000 (I know you said decade, but still) .. and did not play until Testy got hurt (2002) .. held a clip board, watched, etc .. no he did not set the world fire but it's there.

Carson Palmer in 2003. It's just not something you see anymore to the detriment of the player and the league overall.
Doctor

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:04 pm

Doctor wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:

Carson Palmer in 2003. It's just not something you see anymore to the detriment of the player and the league overall.

Ah that old chestnut. It doesn't seem to have been a detriment to these guys:

Wentz
Prescott
Winston
Mariota
Derek Carr
Newton
Dalton
Wilson
Luck
Ryan
Manning
Elway

Although sitting and learning worked wonders for:

Manziel
Locker
Russell
Quinn
Freeman
Gabbert
Tebow
Ponder
Kaepernick

I'm sure I can google more examples for both sides too. Not everyone is Aaron Rodgers, and there's not evidence to suggest Rodgers wouldn't have succeeded had he started Day 1. That's not to say there aren't players who benefit from sitting, but it's not because "it's the best way to do it."

Moral of the story? It's about the player... and it isn't a new phenomenon. If he can't handle the heat then he more than likely shouldn't have been the guy in the first place.

Edit: May as well throw Vince Young in the mix, too, since we're talking about Jeff Fisher.
Deja Entendu

Postby Buc2 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:01 am

Mike1989 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Bengals
@Bills
Chargers
@Steelers

I tend to agree that 0-16 is looking like a good bet for them, though there is potential for them to win one or two of those games. The Bengals have struggled this season, the Bills only just managed to get past Jacksonville and have been up and down all season, the Chargers love to give games away, and the Steelers could rest key players if they have sealed the division and their spot in the play offs. Personally I think they will go 0-16, but if RGIII returns and manages to put something together for them (doubtful but I suppose possible), then I guess they could always spring a surprise or two before the season's end.

Yeah, there definitely could be some other opportunities for them to win. Chargers traveling to Cleveland in late December could easily be a bad weather game which would probably favor the Browns. As for the Steelers, they have to win their division first because I don't see any wildcard hopes for any team in that division and even if they do win the division, they likely won't have anything sewn up to the point they can rest any of their players. I'm still betting on 0-16.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby tjax03 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:31 pm

Came out today RG3 will be back for the Chargers game

The browns will win that game
tjax03

Postby Doctor » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:21 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
Doctor wrote:Carson Palmer in 2003. It's just not something you see anymore to the detriment of the player and the league overall.

Edit: May as well throw Vince Young in the mix, too, since we're talking about Jeff Fisher.

Young is probably the reason Fisher sat Goff. He sat McNair, took it slowly, and he turned into an MVP. He threw in Young when he wasn't ready and look how that ended.

Saying "if he can't go from day 1 then he shouldn't be the guy" is ridiculous. A franchise QB is the single biggest game changer in football. If you can get one by grooming a less polished guy into one, then you do it. It's one thing if the rookie comes in and happens to outplay everyone else and IS the best option for your team (Ryan, Wilson, Dak, or Dalton), it another if you merely draft him and throw him in no competition. There are a lot of great QBs out there that just aren't fully ready. Need to be brought up to speed a little slower. Need some time. But when you give it to them they are going to come out a rock star. If you have a chance at a Daunte Culpepper or a McNabb, but he has to sit his first year, that's an easy choice. Would you prefer a Bortles, who starts right off the gate, and seems like a pretty good QB, or would you prefer to wait a year on a prospect you think is the next McNabb? Take a B grade, start now guy, or an A grade wait-a-while guy? The catch is if you throw the A guy in now you ruin him. And as for guys like Ponder, Locker, Freeman, and such, they were not A level guys, no one thought of them that way, that's why they weren't top picks.

Of course, if you have a grade A start now rookie then sure- take him and start him. Like a Luck, Newton, or Winston. But not every draft class has one of those. Goff wasn't that guy, but he may be a Grade A wait-a-while guy for the Rams. And in a couple of years no one is going to give a crap if he sat awhile or not, he'll be Grade A. No QB in this draft, imo, is a start now guy. But there are plenty who could be very nice QBs if they are brought along correctly. Either way, Browns will not bring who ever they draft along correctly because they are the Browns.
Doctor

Next

Return to Team Discussions