How isJay Cutler still a starting Quarterback in the NFL?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: How isJay Cutler still a starting Quarterback in the NFL

Postby sanka » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:13 pm

You can say grab their *****, say all kind idiotic things and Trump can be president....but someone who speak their minds on social issues .....NFL is a weak league ...this is why these old ass owners run the league and pay them **** ....in the NBA players run the league and get really paid....also in the NFL you can speak your mind.

You would think CK committed murder or something Hahahaha
sanka

Postby Teitan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:17 pm

he's a starting QB because the teams QB is hurt for the season. And Cutler played (decently) for Gase.
Teitan

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:30 pm

The whole Castro shirt was a bigger put off for Miami than him kneeling.
uscbucsfan

Postby MJW » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:31 pm

Yeah, not sure why Miami went with Cutler over Kap.

On one hand, you have an inconsistent QB who's known the coach since 2009 and had his best season playing for him in 2015.

On the other hand, you have an inconsistent QB who doesn't fit the system and tried to have sex with Fidel Castro's corpse not long ago.

We might never know why the Miami Dolphins went with Cutler over Kap.

MJW

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:33 pm

MJW wrote:Yeah, not sure why Miami went with Cutler over Kap.

On one hand, you have an inconsistent QB who's known the coach since 2009 and had his best season playing for him in 2015.

On the other hand, you have an inconsistent QB who doesn't fit the system and tried to have sex with Fidel Castro's corpse not long ago.

This.

I understand not wanting Kaep in Baltimore, Seattle, and especially Miami. Some of the others, like NYJ, don't make any sense, but the owners have the right to do whatever they want.
uscbucsfan

Postby MJW » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:37 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
MJW wrote:Yeah, not sure why Miami went with Cutler over Kap.

This.

I understand not wanting Kaep in Baltimore, Seattle, and especially Miami. Some of the others, like NYJ, don't make any sense, but the owners have the right to do whatever they want.

I don't like the blackball stuff personally. I think he should be on a roster. But there's no good ***damn reason Adam Gase should have signed him instead of Cutler, and there's no way Stephen Ross should have felt compelled to sign an avowed Fidel Castro fan in that town.
MJW

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:39 pm

MJW wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
This.

I don't like the blackball stuff personally. I think he should be on a roster. But there's no good ***damn reason Adam Gase should have signed him instead of Cutler, and there's no way Stephen Ross should have felt compelled to sign an avowed Fidel Castro fan in that town.

I think blackballed is a dumb term because it implies that the league as a whole has mandated against him. It's more as each unit has decided against him. I'm still willing to bet after another injury or two he will be on a roster. It's logical to why many wouldn't want him as a backup.

edit: Pretty much the second Tannehill went down Miami press were saying do not expect the team to even consider Kaep and if Cutler would take it, he would be the guy. Gase feels that his "uplifting" of Cutler was one of his biggest career launching points.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:40 pm

sanka wrote:You can say grab their *****, say all kind idiotic things and Trump can be president....but someone who speak their minds on social issues .....NFL is a weak league ...this is why these old ass owners run the league and pay them **** ....in the NBA players run the league and get really paid....also in the NFL you can speak your mind.

Stay woke!!
DreadNaught

Postby terrytate » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:56 am

MJW wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
This.

When considering all the ways Cutler makes more sense for the Phins than Kaep, I had not even considered his Castro remarks. He, literally, might have gotten shot in Miami.
terrytate

Postby sanka » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:04 am

sanka wrote:You can say grab their *****, say all kind idiotic things and Trump can be president....but someone who speak their minds on social issues .....NFL is a weak league ...this is why these old ass owners run the league and pay them **** ....in the NBA players run the league and get really paid....also in the NFL you can speak your mind.

Mark Cuban just backed my statement Hahahaha....we are living a ***** ass weak NFL era.
sanka

Postby Doctor » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:50 am

People acting like they shunning McNabb or McNair or Winston or something. Did no one actually WATCH Kap? He's been steady downhill since his SB. He's 3-16 the last two seasons.

1) He's not a starter in this league.
2) As a back up you usually want a wise vet to groom your young guy or a potential QBOF behind your vet, he's neither
3) He comes with baggage, fair or not. And it's too hot for a back up QB.

People seem to conveniently forget that OTHER PLAYERS ALSO TOOK A KNEE during the Anthem and they are still playing. WR Kenny Still, LB Brandon Marshall, FS Michael Thomas, and more all took knees. Many others raised a fist during the Anthem. Guess what? These players are still playing. Because THEIR PLAY outweighs any baggage. Kap's play barely gets him on a roster bubble as is. He sucked in a damn Chip Kelly offense that made Mark Sanchez look good!
Doctor

Postby NYBF » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:04 am

Your #3 is a direct contradiction to the pic you posted. And as far as #2 goes, when's Cutler eligible for Canton?
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:09 am

The Miami Dolphins and former Bears quarterback Jay Cutler have agreed to a one-year, $10 million deal plus incentives, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Time_Sports

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:22 am

Doctor wrote:Image

People acting like they shunning McNabb or McNair or Winston or something. Did no one actually WATCH Kap? He's been steady downhill since his SB. He's 3-16 the last two seasons.

1) He's not a starter in this league.
2) As a back up you usually want a wise vet to groom your young guy or a potential QBOF behind your vet, he's neither
3) He comes with baggage, fair or not. And it's too hot for a back up QB.

People seem to conveniently forget that OTHER PLAYERS ALSO TOOK A KNEE during the Anthem and they are still playing. WR Kenny Still, LB Brandon Marshall, FS Michael Thomas, and more all took knees. Many others raised a fist during the Anthem. Guess what? These players are still playing. Because THEIR PLAY outweighs any baggage. Kap's play barely gets him on a roster bubble as is. He sucked in a damn Chip Kelly offense that made Mark Sanchez look good!

+1

he got "figured out" by the NFL, just like every other system/running QB in NFL history. Football is a complicated game. The QB's with the most long term success in the league are the ones that run the most complicated offenses. you have to have a brain to run a complicated NFL offense. that, or have the experience of being groomed in one for 5+ years. Kap has neither. Look at our very own Jameis Winston, he's no fuckin einstein, but he was brought up in an NFL system offense (Jimbo's @ FSU) and he's now got 2 NFL years running Dirks, which is at least a moderately complicated offense, as well.

They catered to Kap's game - he played in the pistol @ Nevada IIRC, and he "took the league by storm" for that first year, but just like every other "gimmick" offense in the league, the **** got figured out, and you have to look no further than his recent W-L / stats to confirm that his game is about an inch deep. idk why people don't see this, its plain as day.

2013:
"49ers strike gold with Pistol offense"
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/02/02/49ers-pistol-offense-colin-kaepernick-nevada/1882359/

2016:
6 years into the league, and the guy is still no more than a 59% pass completion guy (59% the year before, 60% the year before that), and he had 6.77 yards per pass attempt (6.62 the year before that), good for 24th in the leauge, just below Case Keenum's 6.84

The guy is an erratic passer, and his game never evolved. He's too hot on the media radar, and still wants to be a starter. This eliminates him from being a humble backup. There's no ****ing mystery here folks

Additionally, if ya'll don't get the Cutler/Gase connection as to why Miami went after him instead of Kap, then you're a filthy casual
beardmcdoug

Postby Doctor » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:55 am

NYBF wrote:Your #3 is a direct contradiction to the pic you posted. And as far as #2 goes, when's Cutler eligible for Canton?

Not at all. I can still say it's because he sucks and at the same time acknowledge that his activism is a factor. That's the beauty of rational thinking, you don't have to completely exclude the other POV.

I'm not blind to the fact that Kap's activism has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. But my point (if you kept reading) is that A LOT of players joined in and are still playing. That's because at the end of the day you can totally be activists that bring controversy so long as your play makes fans overlooked it and still brings fans to the seats. You can't suck AND be controversial. People that are saying he's not signed because he took a knee are totally overlooking his suckage, which is like 90% of the factor. If he didn't suck, he could knee all he wants and he'd be signed. The NFL has shown us that you can overlook anything if you put up points. With that said let's not pretend for a moment that Kap puts up points.
Doctor

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:29 am

Two really respected player development guys wanted Kaepernick: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2022 ... -resistant

But the owner was worried about optics. This is as clear a case as can be made that it is not Kaepernick's talent keeping him out of the league.
Ken Carson

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:38 am

Ken Carson wrote:Two really respected player development guys wanted Kaepernick: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2022 ... -resistant

But the owner was worried about optics. This is as clear a case as can be made that it is not Kaepernick's talent keeping him out of the league.

This is about as clear of a case about one owner making a business decision regarding his billion dollar investment, and his unwillingness to summon the TMZ/ESPN/24-hour sports media circus upon that investment
beardmcdoug

Postby Bucs N Beers » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:51 am

I just don't understand the outrage for Kaepernick. Say what you want about the politics that have followed, but Colin Kaepernick was under contract for 2017. He OPTED OUT of his contract. He had a job, he CHOSE to not have a job.

There are only 32 starting QB jobs in the NFL, not many of them become available during the offseason, even less of them belong to teams that run a system that would fit CK's play, and then how many want to deal with the media/fan response to actually signing him. Opting out of his contract was a horrible decision. Again, say what you want about the politics that have followed, but Colin Kaepernick being unemployed is his own damn fault.
Bucs N Beers

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:51 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Two really respected player development guys wanted Kaepernick: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2022 ... -resistant

This is about as clear of a case about one owner making a business decision regarding his billion dollar investment, and his unwillingness to summon the TMZ/ESPN/24-hour sports media circus upon that investment

Except that the 49ers didn't even have that type of media circus. What makes you think it would start all of a sudden?
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:52 am

Bucs N Beers wrote:I just don't understand the outrage for Kaepernick. Say what you want about the politics that have followed, but Colin Kaepernick was under contract for 2017. He OPTED OUT of his contract. He had a job, he CHOSE to not have a job.

There are only 32 starting QB jobs in the NFL, not many of them become available during the offseason, even less of them belong to teams that run a system that would fit CK's play, and then how many want to deal with the media/fan response to actually signing him. Opting out of his contract was a horrible decision. Again, say what you want about the politics that have followed, but Colin Kaepernick being unemployed is his own damn fault.

His contract wasn't guaranteed and John Lynch CLEARLY stated that they would've released him anyway.
Bootz2004

Postby Bucs N Beers » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Bucs N Beers wrote:I just don't understand the outrage for Kaepernick. Say what you want about the politics that have followed, but Colin Kaepernick was under contract for 2017. He OPTED OUT of his contract. He had a job, he CHOSE to not have a job.

His contract wasn't guaranteed and John Lynch CLEARLY stated that they would've released him anyway.

Just looked it up and found that. Hadn't heard that before (I try not to indulge in this convo too much). Thought this quote from #47 was quite telling:

We both sat down and under that current construct of his deal, it was a big number. [Coach] Kyle [Shanahan] had a vision for what he wanted to do, and one thing I think Kyle was very clear and I think Colin appreciated, is that Kyle has an idea of how he’d play with Colin Kaepernick.
“But he preferred to run the exact offense that he ran in Atlanta last year that was record-breaking in this league. And if you change it for the quarterback, you change it for everybody on that offense. So he had a great discussion that I think gave Colin clarity, so we moved on. Brian Hoyer was one of the guys we pursued. Once we pursued him, we didn’t see Kaep as a backup that would really fit in that scheme and we communicated that to him.
Bucs N Beers

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:43 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:

What it is is a clear refuting of the now-defunct argument that Kaep doesn't have a job because of his play. Super Bowl winning NFL people wanted him and were told no by an owner who was afraid of public opinion.

Hell, look at Seattle's reasoning... basically Kaepernick is too good to be a backup. Their argument was that they wanted an inferior player as a backup instead of Kaepernick. Your bullshit meter should have been going all navy submarine dive with that one.
Ken Carson

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:56 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

What it is is a clear refuting of the now-defunct argument that Kaep doesn't have a job because of his play. Super Bowl winning NFL people wanted him and were told no by an owner who was afraid of public opinion.

Hell, look at Seattle's reasoning... basically Kaepernick is too good to be a backup. Their argument was that they wanted an inferior player as a backup instead of Kaepernick. Your bullshit meter should have been going all navy submarine dive with that one.

Some people say that leadership in Seattle was worried players would lobby for CK over Wilson as much of the defense doesn't like him. This is just a rumor and could have started from Lebatard's theory, but people have used that as an argument.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:06 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

Maybe it was damage control, or correcting some inaccurate reporting, but Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome released a statement the day after the article from ESPN came out saying the owner has did not say no.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

Kaep does not have a STARTING job b/c of his play. But I think most reasonable people feel that Kaep is good enough to be on an NFL roster.

Let's remove the activism/off-field stuff for a second. At best Kaep should be competing for a starting job on a team that will likely be drafting in the top 5 next season, at worst he should be filling a Ryan Fitzpatrick type of role as a veteran back-up.

But the activism/off-field distraction stuff is a factor just like it was with Tebow. With Kaep you get the circus that comes with it regardless of it being fair.

So when you couple the potential distractions with Kaep's non-traditional skillset for a QB it makes his value pretty low to most NFL teams. I strongly believe Seattle was/is the ideal fit for him personally. I think the Titans are another good option considering Mariota hasn't competed a season for 3 straight years now.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:32 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:What it is is a clear refuting of the now-defunct argument that Kaep doesn't have a job because of his play. Super Bowl winning NFL people wanted him and were told no by an owner who was afraid of public opinion.

Kaep does not have a STARTING job b/c of his play. But I think most reasonable people feel that Kaep is good enough to be on an NFL roster.

Let's remove the activism/off-field stuff for a second. At best Kaep should be competing for a starting job on a team that will likely be drafting in the top 5 next season, at worst he should be filling a Ryan Fitzpatrick type of role as a veteran back-up.

But the activism/off-field distraction stuff is a factor just like it was with Tebow. With Kaep you get the circus that comes with it regardless of it being fair.

So when you couple the potential distractions with Kaep's non-traditional skillset for a QB it makes his value pretty low to most NFL teams. I strongly believe Seattle was/is the ideal fit for him personally. I think the Titans are another good option considering Mariota hasn't competed a season for 3 straight years now.

2 straight years. Like Winston, he's just entering his 3rd year.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Buc2 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

2 straight years. Like Winston, he's just entering his 3rd year.

He was injured and didn't return in the title game Oregon lost to Ohio State. But 2 NFL seasons is accurate. The point is still the same in that Mariota has missed games due to injury and Kaep offers a similar skillset so the having him as a back-up makes sense moreso than a team like the Bucs that run a more traditional drop back offense.
DreadNaught

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:39 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:What it is is a clear refuting of the now-defunct argument that Kaep doesn't have a job because of his play. Super Bowl winning NFL people wanted him and were told no by an owner who was afraid of public opinion.

Maybe it was damage control, or correcting some inaccurate reporting, but Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome released a statement the day after the article from ESPN came out saying the owner has did not say no.

That screams of CYA, especially considering the statements Biscioti made about asking around with the idea.
Ken Carson

Postby Teitan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:46 pm

All I know is these memes are great.

Teitan

Postby Buc2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:50 am

Teitan wrote:All I know is these memes are great.

It doesn't look like his heart is in it. I shouldn't be surprised. After all, it was his wife that talked him into playing again. He probably preferred staying on the coach. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions