2017 HoF Candidates

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
2017 HoF Candidates

Postby Buc2 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:22 pm

MODERN-ERA NOMINEES FOR THE PRO FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME CLASS OF 2017

*Finalist in 2016 (Players and coaches must have last played or coached at least five full seasons ago to be eligible for nomination. Therefore, any individual who last played or coached in 2011 is eligible for the first time in 2017).

QUARTERBACKS (7): Drew Bledsoe, Randall Cunningham, Doug Flutie, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Phil Simms, *Kurt Warner

RUNNING BACKS (13): Shaun Alexander, Ottis Anderson, Tiki Barber, Larry Centers, Roger Craig, *Terrell Davis, Eddie George, *Edgerrin James, Daryl Johnston, Eric Metcalf (also WR/PR/KR), LaDainian Tomlinson, Herschel Walker (also KR), Ricky Watters

WIDE RECEIVERS (10): Isaac Bruce, Henry Ellard (also PR), Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Derrick Mason (also KR/PR), *Terrell Owens, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Hines Ward

TIGHT END (1): Mark Bavaro

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN (14): Tony Boselli (T), Ray Donaldson (C), *Alan Faneca (G), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), *Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Olin Kreutz (C), Jim Lachey (T), Kevin Mawae (C/G), Tom Nalen (C), Nate Newton (G), Steve Wisniewski (G)

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN (5): Leslie O'Neal (DE), Simeon Rice (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT), Jason Taylor (DE), Bryant Young (DT)
LINEBACKERS (11): Carl Banks, Cornelius Bennett, Tedy Bruschi, Seth Joyner, Levon Kirkland, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Joey Porter, Zach Thomas

DEFENSIVE BACKS (16): Eric Allen (CB), *Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Brian Dawkins (SS), Rodney Harrison (S), Ty Law (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), *John Lynch (S), Frank Minnifield (CB), Bob Sanders (SS), Darren Sharper (FS), Dennis Smith (SS), Troy Vincent (S), Everson Walls (CB), Darren Woodson (S)

KICKERS/PUNTER (4): *Morten Andersen (K), Gary Anderson (K), Sean Landeta (P), Nick Lowery (K)

SPECIAL TEAMS (2): Brian Mitchell (KR/PR, also RB), Steve Tasker (ST, also WR)

COACHES (11): *Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, Tom Flores, Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Richie Petitbon, Dan Reeves, Clark Shaughnessy, **** Vermeil
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Re: 2017 HoF Candidates

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:15 pm

Darren Sharper? Really?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc You » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:27 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Darren Sharper? Really?

He must've forced his way in there.
Buc You

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:48 pm

Bob Sanders? Dude was hurt 75% of his career.

If someone like Sanders or Sharper make it in ahead of Lynch, the system is a complete joke.
pewterpirates

Postby Cheb » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:58 pm

It would make it easier if the list were down to just the finalists, but for my money:

Kurt Warner, LaDainian Tomlinson, Hines Ward, John Lynch, and Morten Anderson.

Alan Faneca just misses the cut, but I figure that two Steelers in the same year is a bit much.

Jason Taylor has a legit shot, as well.
Cheb

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:05 pm

Buc You wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Darren Sharper? Really?

He must've forced his way in there.

Oh he's going to rape the competition.
IchabodCrane84

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:59 pm

Warner & T.O. should get in. It's already ridiculous that they weren't each 1st ballot.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02 pm

Pretty good article on the Bucs website today laying out a case for Simeon Rice for the HoF

I've never understood the disrespect for Simeon regarding the HoF. He checks all the boxes imo and has a better HoF resume than Lynch.
DreadNaught

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:21 pm

That was a really well laid out piece on the Bucs website about Simeon Rice's case for Canton.

What other players have Simeon's credentials and have been a complete afterthought for the HOF? I don't get it.

He's got comparable numbers to many HOF defensive ends. Almost better numbers ACROSS THE BOARD than Strahan.
pewterpirates

Postby SIBucsFan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:03 pm

I liken Rice to Charles Haley.

Rice has the edge in career sacks (122 to 100.5).

However, Haley was part of 5 Super Bowl champions to Rice's 1, made 2 All-Pro teams to Rice's 1, and Haley played for two franchises where he got the spotlight more than Rice ever did in Arizona or Tampa.

Haley, like Rice, had a negative relationship with the Media. That seemed to contribute to Haley's exclusion from the Hall of Fame besides being the Robert Horry of the NFL (with much more production in his sport).

As much a fan as I am of Rice (my favorite pass rusher of all-time), I feel that Rice may never reach the Hall of Fame. If he does, he will probably have waited longer than Haley ever did, as well as Kevin Greene, Chris Doleman, and Richard Dent, all of whom had more career sacks than Rice did and more career accolades and still waited 12+ years after their retirement.
SIBucsFan

Postby Doctor » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Cheb wrote:It would make it easier if the list were down to just the finalists, but for my money:

Kurt Warner, LaDainian Tomlinson, Hines Ward, John Lynch, and Morten Anderson.

Alan Faneca just misses the cut, but I figure that two Steelers in the same year is a bit much.

Jason Taylor has a legit shot, as well.

How in the hell do you justify putting in Hines Ward over TO and Issac Bruce??
Doctor

Postby MJW » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:26 am

The 2018 class is looking to be excellent, btw. Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Randy Moss, Ronde, Richard Seymour, Jeff Saturday, and Steve Hutchinson are all first time guys. Lewis is a mortal lock. Urlacher and Moss SHOULD be. Ronde may have to wait a year because it's such a loaded group. Hutchinson should get in at some point. I don't think Saturday or Seymour make it.

You also have Paul Tags likely making it as a contributor. TO and Brian Dawkins seem like the most likely returning guys, though obviously I'll be rooting for Lynch. Personally I think it's nonsense TD is in but Tony Boselli isn't. If we're going to waive the longevity thing for TD to make it, we need to do the same for Boselli, who's maybe the best LT I've ever seen live next to Anthony Munoz.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:33 am

MJW wrote:The 2018 class is looking to be excellent, btw. Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Randy Moss, Ronde, Richard Seymour, Jeff Saturday, and Steve Hutchinson are all first time guys. Lewis is a mortal lock. Urlacher and Moss SHOULD be. Ronde may have to wait a year because it's such a loaded group. Hutchinson should get in at some point. I don't think Saturday or Seymour make it.

You also have Paul Tags likely making it as a contributor. TO and Brian Dawkins seem like the most likely returning guys, though obviously I'll be rooting for Lynch. Personally I think it's nonsense TD is in but Tony Boselli isn't. If we're going to waive the longevity thing for TD to make it, we need to do the same for Boselli, who's maybe the best LT I've ever seen live next to Anthony Munoz.

If T.O. still isn't in, I can't make a case for Moss. More catches, yards than Moss. Lewis and Seymour are the only 1st ballot guys I see.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:48 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:The 2018 class is looking to be excellent, btw. Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Randy Moss, Ronde, Richard Seymour, Jeff Saturday, and Steve Hutchinson are all first time guys. Lewis is a mortal lock. Urlacher and Moss SHOULD be. Ronde may have to wait a year because it's such a loaded group. Hutchinson should get in at some point. I don't think Saturday or Seymour make it.

If T.O. still isn't in, I can't make a case for Moss. More catches, yards than Moss. Lewis and Seymour are the only 1st ballot guys I see.

I agree, TO should get in before Moss, or next year as well. He should have got in LAST year.

You really think Seymour? Maybe I'm underrating him. It's really tough for a 5 technique to make it though. IMHO he was inferior to Justin Smith (who still has to wait a couple of years) and I doubt Smith makes it. Seymour does have the benefit of that Patriots exposure, though.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:38 am

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I agree, TO should get in before Moss, or next year as well. He should have got in LAST year.

You really think Seymour? Maybe I'm underrating him. It's really tough for a 5 technique to make it though. IMHO he was inferior to Justin Smith (who still has to wait a couple of years) and I doubt Smith makes it. Seymour does have the benefit of that Patriots exposure, though.

Seymour was absolutely dominant. He played DT quite a bit too but as a 5 he was unblockable at times. During his glory years with the Pats I think he was the most dominant Dlineman.
Bootz2004

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:33 pm

I was watching NFLN last night when Dion, Marshall and Michael was interviewing Kurt, Ladanian and Terrel Davis.

I must say, it really bothered me to see T.D. sitting in that group! It just makes no sense to me that he is in the hall.

Do any of you feel the same way?
bahamian:bucfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:51 pm

Why is the HOF votes on by only sports writers? Why not coaches or current HOF members?

The politics of getting in dilute the entire HOF imo. It's silly to have to be nice to reporters in hopes that one day they'll vote you in although your play alone merits that you're one of the best to ever play.
PrimeMinister

Postby StillCSG » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:02 pm

It's no longer the Hall of Fame...

It is now the Hall of a few good years

There is no universe in which Davis and Warner belong in there without a ticket
StillCSG

Postby Crocaneers » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:01 pm

I think it's turned more into what moves the needle.

LT brought competition to the west coast
Kurt took the show on the air to a all new level , and still one of the best games I saw in person one Monday night
Terrell was responsible for the 2 Bronco trophies.

They moved the needle and agree they were okay players. Publicity got them in before there was social media.

I can't imagine how the hall looks in 10 years
Crocaneers

Postby NYBF » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:51 pm

Crocaneers wrote:LT brought competition to the west coast

Excuse me - LT played on the east coast.

Ladanian Tomlinson played out west.
NYBF

Postby Four Verticals » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:28 pm

NYBF wrote:

Exactly.
Four Verticals

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:45 am

LT deserves to be in the Hall. TD does not.
PrimeMinister

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:28 am

NYBF wrote:

I knew you would understand

I'm on phone and really lazy this weekend
Crocaneers

Postby MJW » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:43 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:LT deserves to be in the Hall. TD does not.

I read this point elsewhere, but if we're essentially letting TD in for a brilliant three year stretch, why isn't Priest Holmes in? His best three year stretch was better and he finished with more career rushing yards. How about Shaun Alexander, too?
MJW

Postby Deja Entendu » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:14 pm

MJW wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:LT deserves to be in the Hall. TD does not.

I read this point elsewhere, but if we're essentially letting TD in for a brilliant three year stretch, why isn't Priest Holmes in? His best three year stretch was better and he finished with more career rushing yards. How about Shaun Alexander, too?

They lack the hardware he has.
Deja Entendu

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:28 am

Moss had better be in first ballot. I think someone got ahold of him and he has been in image rehab mode for the last 3-5 years, not that I believe he should have been, but he has done commercials and Sunday shows probably for the money but also for the HoF.
Ken Carson

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:24 am

Ken Carson wrote:Moss had better be in first ballot. I think someone got ahold of him and he has been in image rehab mode for the last 3-5 years, not that I believe he should have been, but he has done commercials and Sunday shows probably for the money but also for the HoF.

If T.O. wasn't 1st ballot, I have a hard time believing Moss will be.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:29 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Moss had better be in first ballot. I think someone got ahold of him and he has been in image rehab mode for the last 3-5 years, not that I believe he should have been, but he has done commercials and Sunday shows probably for the money but also for the HoF.

If T.O. wasn't 1st ballot, I have a hard time believing Moss will be.

I agree that will be tough to justify for the voters how Moss is a 1st ballot HOFer but not TO.

Imo they are both 1st ballot guys. Ira (Bucs HoF voter) has a good saying about qualifying 1st ballot guys in that 'If you can't tell the history of the NFL without mentioning them than they should be considered 1st ballot'. Both TO and Moss were those types of players for what they did ON the field, which imo is all that matters when it comes the to the NFL HoF.

Unfortunately there seems to be alot of politics/favoritism among some voters by not voting TO in last year.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:05 am

Does a player get better after he's been on the ballot more than a year?
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:11 am

NYBF wrote:Does a player get better after he's been on the ballot more than a year?

Don't know. But he doesn't get any worse. :mrgreen:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Next

Return to Team Discussions