2017 HoF Candidates

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: 2017 HoF Candidates

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:26 am

NYBF wrote:Does a player get better after he's been on the ballot more than a year?

No, but there is a subjective distinction w/ the voters that comes with being a '1st ballot HoFer' whether we agree/like it or not.

A guy like Cris Carter is one of many examples of this. His resume made him an obvious HoFer, but still didn't get in the first time.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:38 am

Whether or not a player gets in on the first ballot should depend a whole lot more on who else is on the ballot.
NYBF

Postby MJW » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:50 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
MJW wrote:
I read this point elsewhere, but if we're essentially letting TD in for a brilliant three year stretch, why isn't Priest Holmes in? His best three year stretch was better and he finished with more career rushing yards. How about Shaun Alexander, too?

They lack the hardware he has.

And another example of what's wrong with the HOF process. I can buy the hardware thing with quarterbacks, or at least, I accept that it's part of the deal. But when it comes to a running back, it's pretty ridiculous.
MJW

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:19 pm

MJW wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:
They lack the hardware he has.

And another example of what's wrong with the HOF process. I can buy the hardware thing with quarterbacks, or at least, I accept that it's part of the deal. But when it comes to a running back, it's pretty ridiculous.

Last year when T.O was not inducted, the hall became somewhat of a joke to me. But now that they put Terrel Davis in; it has nose dived strait into a circus act. And some folks have the nerve to say that he has the "hardware". Pure rubbish!

To say that Davis being inducted into the hall pisses me off is a gross understatement.

I am 110% certain if we could read the mind of some of his co workers at NFLN; a lot of them would be thinking the same thing!
Last edited by bahamian:bucfan on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahamian:bucfan

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:28 pm

bahamian:bucfan wrote:
MJW wrote:

Last year when T.O was not inducted, the hall became somewhat of a joke to me. But now that they put Terrel Davis in; it has nose dived strait into a circus act. And some folks have the nerve to say that he has the "hardware". Pure rubbish!

To say that Davis being inducted into the hall pisses me off is a gross understatement.

I am 110% certain if we could read the mind of some of his co workers at NFLN; a lot of them would be thinking the same thin!

Agree with you and MJW
beardmcdoug

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:42 pm

MJW wrote:

I am 110% certain if we could read the mind of some of his co workers at NFLN; a lot of them would be thinking the same thing!

Does Davis owe you money or something?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:42 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:

I am 110% certain if we could read the mind of some of his co workers at NFLN; a lot of them would be thinking the same thin!

Agree with you and MJW

If Davis deserved to be in, then surely to hell John Lynch does too. After all, he has the "hardware" and he put in a lot more superb seasons than Davis did. Ditto Ronde when his time comes. What a joke. It certainly has become the Hall of the Very Good.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby StillCSG » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Buc2 wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:
Agree with you and MJW

If Davis deserved to be in, then surely to hell John Lynch does too. After all, he has the "hardware" and he put in a lot more superb seasons than Davis did. Ditto Ronde when his time comes. What a joke. It certainly has become the Hall of the Very Good.

Davis doesn't even belong in it at that point
StillCSG

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:38 pm

MJW wrote:

For what it's worth (nothing), I wouldn't have voted for him, either. I was just answering the question.
Deja Entendu

Postby MJW » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:05 pm

MJW wrote:

TO not being in is honestly a joke. The absolute only reason he's not in is because the sportswriters who vote don't like him. That's it. It makes the voters look like a bunch of delicate high school mean girls. The guy is easily one of the top five best receivers ever to play the game, and the stats more than flesh that out. His performance on a bad leg in the Superbowl was legendary. He wasn't a great teammate? Boo hoo. Lots of great players aren't. He didn't beat his wife or get caught with PEDs. He was just mean to sportswriters. It stinks.
MJW

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:35 pm

MJW wrote:

TO not being in is honestly a joke. The absolute only reason he's not in is because the sportswriters who vote don't like him. That's it. It makes the voters look like a bunch of delicate high school mean girls. The guy is easily one of the top five best receivers ever to play the game, and the stats more than flesh that out. His performance on a bad leg in the Superbowl was legendary. He wasn't a great teammate? Boo hoo. Lots of great players aren't. He didn't beat his wife or get caught with PEDs. He was just mean to sportswriters. It stinks.

That super bowl performance was BEYOND legendary! I honestly do not have the word for it!
To this day I have ABSOLUTELY no respect for D. Mccnab because I feel like his punk ass, choke, vomit (literally) performance caused T.O his ring. When those old ass sport writers looked at T.O.'s stats AND this performance; It just boggles my mind that he was not a first ballot hall of famer! This should only be based on what is done ON THE FIELD! Man, it just infuriates me that the hall has become a joke!
bahamian:bucfan

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:36 am

The thing that also baffles me about TO, is that not only is he a first ballot lock based on his play, but he actually HELPED the sports writers keep their jobs relevant and interesting with all of his antics.

It's not like he Marshawn Lynch'd them either, he was always willing to put it on for the mic.

The voting process needs an overhaul for sure.
Deja Entendu

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:56 am

Deja Entendu wrote:The thing that also baffles me about TO, is that not only is he a first ballot lock based on his play, but he actually HELPED the sports writers keep their jobs relevant and interesting with all of his antics.

It's not like he Marshawn Lynch'd them either, he was always willing to put it on for the mic.

this is actually a fantastic point
beardmcdoug

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:28 am

Yea Deja made a great point. These same writers hating on him have a job because of him. He will get in eventually. But he should've been in.
Bootz2004

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:22 am

The thing that also baffles me about TO, is that not only is he a first ballot lock based on his play, but he actually HELPED the sports writers keep their jobs relevant and interesting with all of his antics.

Deja Entendu

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:30 am

Deja Entendu

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:32 am

LMFAO yeah we heard you dude, it was a great point, but not worth spamming it 2 more times
beardmcdoug

Postby NYBF » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:59 am

NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:05 pm

NYBF wrote:The thing that also baffles me about TO, is that not only is he a first ballot lock based on his play, but he actually HELPED the sports writers keep their jobs relevant and interesting with all of his antics.

You're wrong. Deja Entendu was right.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:45 pm

Whoops
Deja Entendu

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:29 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:Whoops

:P
beardmcdoug