Welcome Roberto Aguayo...

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Welcome Roberto Aguayo...

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:35 am

He seems to have his mojo back. An early miss though and who knows. Or maybe it's all behind him for the rest of his career? :shrug:
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:08 am

sanka wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:She's been one of the few sticking up for him.

Oh please...the only person that has flip flop more than Maryjane is Donald Trump

Show me where or shut the **** up once and for all.
MJW

Postby terrytate » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:32 am

real bucs fan wrote:He seems to have his mojo back. An early miss though and who knows. Or maybe it's all behind him for the rest of his career? :shrug:

He was a rookie kicker adjusting to the narrower NFL hashmarks, rotating holders and some tweaks to his mechanics. There was every reason for him to have early struggles.
terrytate

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:00 am

I was concerned, especially after that mid-week practice vs the Browns when his struggles where at there peak. But the reality is that pretty much ALL rookie kickers struggle at some point. So hopefully Aguayo got his rut out of the way early.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:55 am

real bucs fan wrote:He seems to have his mojo back. An early miss though and who knows. Or maybe it's all behind him for the rest of his career? :shrug:

You're one of those casuals who believe he has to be 29/29 every year or it'll mess him up mentally. He's going to miss kicks so get that thought out of your head. He's going to have periods where he misses multiple kicks in a row so get that thought out of your head.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:02 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

You're one of those casuals who believe he has to be 29/29 every year or it'll mess him up mentally. He's going to miss kicks so get that thought out of your head. He's going to have periods where he misses multiple kicks in a row so get that thought out of your head.

Agreed, but he shouldn't be missing multiple kicks in a row from inside 40yds.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:23 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Agreed, but he shouldn't be missing multiple kicks in a row from inside 40yds.

Says who, you? Please. It happens. Find me a kicker that has significant experience (4 years+) who's perfect inside of 40.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:26 am

All told Aguayo finished the preseason 8/10(80%) on FG kicks and 7/8(87.5%) on XP kicks....All of the whining came off of 3 missed kicks lmao!
Bootz2004

Postby SIBucsFan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:38 am

Bootz2004 wrote:All told Aguayo finished the preseason 8/10(80%) on FG kicks and 7/8(87.5%) on XP kicks....All of the whining came off of 3 missed kicks lmao!

I think what really made people lose their heads was that he started 3/5 (60%) on FG and missed his very first NFL game-situation kick, an extra point, coupled with the 3/6 practice day against the Browns which was blown out of proportion. So I don't think it was the amount of missed kicks as much as it was the timing of them, given it was everyone's first look at him as a professional.

I admit I was getting very concerned because of his very rough start, but he had a very strong and impressive finish, which negates my worry for him.
SIBucsFan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:48 am

SIBucsFan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:All told Aguayo finished the preseason 8/10(80%) on FG kicks and 7/8(87.5%) on XP kicks....All of the whining came off of 3 missed kicks lmao!

I think what really made people lose their heads was that he started 3/5 (60%) on FG and missed his very first NFL game-situation kick, an extra point, coupled with the 3/6 practice day against the Browns which was blown out of proportion. So I don't think it was the amount of missed kicks as much as it was the timing of them, given it was everyone's first look at him as a professional.

I admit I was getting very concerned because of his very rough start, but he had a very strong and impressive finish, which negates my worry for him.

Right, that was my point. After the 2nd preseason game Aguayo was 3/5 on FG and had also missed an XP. He followed that up w/ a poor public practice where he shanked one attempt going 3/6, in addition to an interview in which he admitted he's seeing a mental coach and had his confidence shaken. Not exactly what you want to hear from "the best kicking prospect in a decade". So while it got blown out of proportion, there was still reason for concern.

These last 2 preseason games he looked like the kid we all saw at FSU and who I believe he'll be for us.
Last edited by DreadNaught on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
DreadNaught

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:55 am

That 50-yarder in the rain last night had to give him a confidence boost.
Ken Carson

Postby deltbucs » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:48 am

DreadNaught wrote:
SIBucsFan wrote:

Right, that was my point. After the 2nd preseason game Aguayo was 3/5 on FG and had also missed an XP. He followed that up w/ a poor public practice where he shanked one attempt going 3/6, in addition to an interview in which he admitted he's seeing a mental coach and had his confidence shaken. Not exactly what you want to hear from "the best kicking prospect in a decade". So while it got blown out of proportion, there was still reason for concern.

These last 2 preseason games he looked like the kid we all saw at FSU and who I believe he'll be for us.

Yeah...of course there was cause for concern. Everyone was concerned and for good reason...expect maybe Sanka...and Boots pretending he wasn't concerned.
deltbucs

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:55 am

Say what you want delt, I was not concerned with Aguayo missing preseason kicks in his 1st 2 NFL games. As I stated, he'd figure it out and we'd be fine. Plus switching holders every other kick is not ideal. What got to be absolutely ridiculous and stupid was the talk of cutting him, bringing in "competition", even putting him on I.R....after 2 preseason games. As always Bucs fans jump the gun and overreact to tiny sample sizes, good or bad.

And at the same token, I'm not proclaiming him to be perfect either. Just find some balance people. Concerned after games? Man up
Bootz2004

Postby threadkiller » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:00 am

We still don't know what we have on our hands, imo, but a lot of the signs are good. We put all the pressure on him organizationally, and he tripped coming out of the blocks. The fan base punished the pick, and I went kinda apeshit when the kid spent 10 days looking like bad rookie. He might do that again. He's a rookie. I like that he picked himself right back up and has looked confident in himself. What I liked most about the 50 yard attempt was I didn't feel like he was trying to drive it. Just a relaxed, shoulders back/open, pass through the ball. He makes me believe that even if he has a rookie game and the heat comes down, he won't just fold up and keep missing kicks. He's been battle tested more than any rookie kicker prior to his first regular season NFL kick.
threadkiller

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Ken Carson wrote:That 50-yarder in the rain last night had to give him a confidence boost.

As it should have. He kicked it darn-near perfect.
theBKwhopper

Postby ImAWalkingCorpse » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:26 pm

Trash.... hopefully he is done after today.
ImAWalkingCorpse

Postby Ironworker808 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:31 pm

My prediction is week three next season. They're not going to cut their second round pick less than a quarter into the season.
Ironworker808

Postby Moozician » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:37 pm

#itsabucslife
#embracethesuckage
:cussing:
Moozician

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue May 08, 2018 12:58 pm

Here's Dread, the clown, assuring us Aguayo was a solid choice in the 2nd round:

DreadNaught wrote:The Bucs had to address kicker eventually. This patchwork Barth/Murray solution has cost us games. What better way to address the position than with the best kicker prospect in over a decade.

Aguayo was poised to get drafted in the 3rd rd according to most. With the trade back in rd 1, we basically used our 3rd rd pick for Aguayo.

Dirk said in his presser that Aguayo was the rd 3 target and at the end of the day that's what we used to get him.

We still have our same day 3 picks we started the draft with.

We have drafted the best cover CB, best pass rusher, and best kicker prospect in a decade. That is likely 3 impact starters with 3 picks.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue May 08, 2018 1:00 pm

What did PMI say at the time?

Just one of many many many comments, Dread always sucking ass, me always posting truths:

Patrick McIrish wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:I'm not going to call it a bad pick. By all accounts, we should have a top 5 place kicker for the next 12 years.

No dummy, not by all accounts. :roll:

I'll take the whole board to dinner if he's kicking for the Bucs in 12 years.

There won't be 10 fans in Tampa that remember his friggin' name in 12 years. Including you.

We traded up, gave away picks to get a guy that makes 50% of his kicks over 40 yards, where NFL kickers make their money.

Licht is a ****ing moron, but some of us knew that already.

We move on.....
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue May 08, 2018 1:02 pm

We move on.... (no, not yet)

Patrick McIrish wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Why would you choose that sentence of my post to quote?

Um.... because that was the "point" I wanted to address. Why, you only support certain parts of your post?

Next time let me know ahead of time which opinions I can comment on.

But yeah, not only kicking for the Bucs in 12 years, but a top 5 kicker during that run as well? LOL.

If I still kept dumb comments as my sig you'd have made the cut with this one.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue May 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Doctor arguing since we missed on 2nd rounders in the past only makes sense to trade up for a kicker.... :roll:

Patrick McIrish wrote:
Doctor wrote:This thread keeps making me laugh. Everyone acting like the second round is sacred, despite it being an absolute bust fest for us.

Well yes then, of course you throw it away again this year, I didn't realize we missed with some 2nd rounders in the past.

That's more of the good old Buc logic.

:roll: :roll:
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue May 08, 2018 1:06 pm

Sorry Ken but your comment he would solve our kicking problem for the next 12 years and be a top 5 kicker while doing it???

Patrick McIrish wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:You also erroneously acted like I was arguing on behalf of the pick.

Negative. Did not comment either way on that sir.

My full attention was directed to the comedy of the "top 5 kicker and playing for the Bucs the next 12 years" comment.

Read it again and report back, or we can do it the quick way.....

Surrender noted.

We move on.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue May 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Kress trying to make a case for Aguayo being an instant asset, LOL.

Patrick McIrish wrote:
Kress wrote:I would add that everyone is focusing on field goals. Remember that the game has changed: Touchbacks come out to the 25 this year. From what I have seen he is good at "mortar" kicking.... I very high ball that falls just short of the end zone and forces a return, but takes so damn long to get there that the coverage is all over it. If he can change field position like that, making teams start from inside their own 15, rather than just pummeling the ball out of the end zone and letting them have the 25, he is an instant asset. That's one more first down per drive.

Let me save you the task of staying on top of this all year to see if he's an "instant asset".......

Our opponents averaging inside their own 15 yard line this year on kick-offs is about as likely as he'll be going to Pro-Bowls and playing for the Bucs in 2029 (as Carson believes).

Sounds like another one against the pick whether he understands why or not.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue May 08, 2018 1:11 pm

Dread once again strongly in favor of trading up for a FG kicker, In a league where the average margin of victory is under 6 pts, having a great kicker is an asset.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DreadNaught wrote:Off the top of my head I can recall 3 games (@Texans, vs Panthers, vs Bears) where missed kicks by our kicker heavily influenced the flow of the the game and probably outcome.

The Patriots dynasty the past 15 yrs started on the right foot of their kicker during that playoff run.

I don't buy, and I think the Bucs have disproved the 'all kickers are the same' or 'you can find kickers anywhere' narrative that discredits their value. Licht believes Aguayo is a "once in a decade" type of kicker. Many happen to agree w/ that belief even if they still think the 'value' of a late 2nd round pick is too much.

In a league where the average margin of victory is under 6 pts, having a great kicker is an asset.

Not usually my style to engage in boorish behavior but so sick of people repeatedly being wrong (sit down Dread) and then playing revisionist history with the fact.....

Over the course of time NO ONE IS PROVEN RIGHT MORE THAN ME, NO ONE IS PROVEN WRONG MORE THAN DREAD......

Haven't even started on Winston threads yet, LOL.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue May 08, 2018 1:13 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
My only concern about drafting a kicker in rd 2 is that we're married to the pick for the next 2 seasons no matter what. He MUST come in day 1 and be good-to-great to justify the pick imo. If he does that than and goes on to have a career like Sea Bass or Gostowski than nobody will care that he was a late 2nd rounder.

I'll give credit to Licht either way, that pick took balls. I think it will pay off for him and the team though when we look back in 10 years.

Yeah man, that pick REALLY paid off!

Idiot.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Nano » Tue May 08, 2018 1:14 pm

This is just one of those picks you shrug and laugh as fans. It was just a huge reach overall at the time...and it didn't really help that he had the accuracy of Kyle Brindza. Just a bad situation overall...

Funny enough, it turns out it wasn't even the worst pick of the 2nd round. Somehow the Jets outdid us by selecting Hackenburg.
Nano

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue May 08, 2018 1:15 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
LUGZ wrote:I predict that we could get into the super bowl in 2016 due to Aguayo's leg...and this thread will still be active with people bitching about the pick.

Who knows though, maybe if enough bitching occurs over the pick, the NFL might allow the Bucs a do over?

Who knows

Drafting a kicker in the 2nd rd is rare and thus will open to criticism, especially for team that hasn't been .500 in years. It's viewed as a "luxury pick" by many, while others are of the mindset that kickers are a 'dime and dozen' and there is no reason to draft one.

Like with most things draft related, time will tell. If Aguayo is who most believe he is, which is the best kicker to come out in a decade than it wont matter that he was a late 2nd round pick when we look back in 5-10 years.

:lol: :lol:
Patrick McIrish

Postby MJW » Tue May 08, 2018 1:16 pm

Nano wrote:This is just one of those picks you shrug and laugh as fans. It was just a huge reach overall at the time...and it didn't really help that he had the accuracy of Kyle Brindza. Just a bad situation overall...

Funny enough, it turns out it wasn't even the worst pick of the 2nd round. Somehow the Jets outdid us by selecting Hackenburg.

No, Aguayo was still worse. Hack didn't cost them any wins through his failure to do what a replacement level player could. Aguayo missed costly kicks that a kicker off the streets likely could have made.
MJW

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue May 08, 2018 1:17 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Licht was with the Patriots when Vinatieri was a big part of them winning playoff games and super bowls.
Licht was in Philly when Akers was a top kicker for the Eagles.
He's gone through 3 kickers in 2 seasons and decided to go after (who he and others believe is) the best kicker prospect in a decade.

:roll:
Patrick McIrish

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions