Mike Glennon

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Mike Glennon

Postby Teitan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:40 am

MJW wrote:
terrytate wrote:
Because Ali made his statement in the 60's in the middle of the civil rights movement, ya know when equal rights didn't really exist and a black guy could get dragged to death behind a truck for even looking at a white chick.
Kaep pulled his act in 2017 after decades of affirmative action, equal rights largely existing and with a black guy named Barack in the White House.

If you honestly don't see the difference, you might need to read more.

This argument is predicated on two flaws - one that there was anything moderate about Ali's stances that made them more palatable to white America on account of the times. Ali said some incendiary stuff that mainstream white culture would have no use for at any point in history.

Two, that Kaep doesn't have a point because progress has happened.

Don't say it's different because we're somehow evaluating him based on the times. That's a cop out. He said it was White Slave Masters (like my dad, I guess) fighting in Vietnam. He said that if there are black people in heaven, they're probably preparing dinner and doing the wash for the white people. In what context is that "okay" in a way CK's pale rhetoric is not?

That leads me to the other point - that CK is speaking out of turn because we've advanced so much. We had advanced a whole lot more between 1860 and 1960, but he's still celebrated for speaking out. CK is saying the truth, just like Ali was. The truth that being black in America is still often a dangerous, crap deal. That's still true. But we vilify him for saying it. Would we treat him differently if he had 2 Superbowl rings now? I have no idea. But please don't tell me there's an consistency to how we approach these men.

Teitan

Postby 81mm Shake and Bake » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:34 am

HOLY **** THIS IS A ****ing THREAD ABOUT MIKE ****ing GLENNON!!! TAKE ALL THE KAEP BULLSHIT TO THE APPROPRIATE ****ing THREAD SO THIS ONE CAN DIE ITS NEEDED DEATH, AND WE'RE NOT CONSTANTLY EXPOSED TO THIS UNIMPORTANT CLUSTERFUCK WITH NO END IN SIGHT!

Do it for the children.
81mm Shake and Bake

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:12 am

81mm Shake and Bake wrote:HOLY **** THIS IS A ****ing THREAD ABOUT MIKE ****ing GLENNON!!! TAKE ALL THE KAEP BULLSHIT TO THE APPROPRIATE ****ing THREAD SO THIS ONE CAN DIE ITS NEEDED DEATH, AND WE'RE NOT CONSTANTLY EXPOSED TO THIS UNIMPORTANT CLUSTERFUCK WITH NO END IN SIGHT!

Do it for the children.

What do you think Mike Glennon thinks about CK's politics?
MJW

Postby 81mm Shake and Bake » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:25 am

MJW wrote:
81mm Shake and Bake wrote:HOLY **** THIS IS A ****ing THREAD ABOUT MIKE ****ing GLENNON!!! TAKE ALL THE KAEP BULLSHIT TO THE APPROPRIATE ****ing THREAD SO THIS ONE CAN DIE ITS NEEDED DEATH, AND WE'RE NOT CONSTANTLY EXPOSED TO THIS UNIMPORTANT CLUSTERFUCK WITH NO END IN SIGHT!

Do it for the children.

You may be the only one here who gives a ****. I know I'm plum out of them to give about a shitty QB who doesn't play for the Bucs.
81mm Shake and Bake

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:42 am

MJW wrote:Still waiting for you to show us all of Geno Smith's, Mark Sanchez's, and Matt Barkley's "great tape" Bootz.

I'll show you what "great tape" got them contracts before guys like Kap and Cutler:

- Geno Smith signed a 1 year, $1,200,000 contract with the New York Giants, including $300,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,200,000. In 2017, Smith will earn a base salary of $775,000, a roster bonus of $287,500 and a workout bonus of $25,000, while carrying a cap hit of $1,087,500 and a dead cap value of $300,000.

- The Chicago Bears added quarterback Mark Sanchez, the team announced Friday.

Tom Pelissero of USA Today reported the one-year deal is worth $2 million, including $1 million guaranteed, with an extra $2 million in incentives.

- Matt Barkley signed a 2 year, $4,000,000 contract with the San Francisco 49ers, including a $500,000 signing bonus, $500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,000,000. In 2017, Barkley will earn a base salary of $1,400,000, a signing bonus of $500,000, a roster bonus of $218,750 and a workout bonus of $50,000, while carrying a cap hit of $1,918,750 and a dead cap value of $500,000.
Naismith

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:42 am

terrytate wrote:
MJW wrote:
Wow, a couple of folks using the Bootz method of, "take something literally that clearly was not meant as a literal statement, then ignore the point being made." You must be so proud.

Let's try again. I'll choose my words more carefully:

Ali is one of the most popular athletes in the history of this country. This is fact.
Colin Kaepernick is one of the least popular athletes in this country. This is fact.
Kaepernick and Ali had very similar anti-America, anti-war, anti-white power beliefs, and also engage in public protests expressing these beliefs.

Some explain this apparent disconnect in perception please.

Because Ali made his statement in the 60's in the middle of the civil rights movement, ya know when equal rights didn't really exist and a black guy could get dragged to death behind a truck for even looking at a white chick.
Kaep pulled his act in 2017 after decades of affirmative action, equal rights largely existing and with a black guy named Barack in the White House.

No if you believe what you wrote you should read more. Ali was hated for his anti-America/anti-racism stance. He was far more outspoken than Kap and was not beloved until many years (and lives lost) later.

If you spoke with American citizens about Ali & civil rights during that time they would sound similar to American citizens now about Kap & civil rights today. Each group points to "things are not as bad as they were so not sure why _____ is protesting. And he is being disrespectful to this great country!"
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:07 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
terrytate wrote:

No if you believe what you wrote you should read more. Ali was hated for his anti-America/anti-racism stance. He was far more outspoken than Kap and was not beloved until many years (and lives lost) later.

If you spoke with American citizens about Ali & civil rights during that time they would sound similar to American citizens now about Kap & civil rights today. Each group points to "things are not as bad as they were so not sure why _____ is protesting. And he is being disrespectful to this great country!"

So, you're saying then that we learned nothing from the, "hating the guy with the radical - but generally truthful - views of society and country now, when we're going to apparently embrace him later after we calm down" episode?

That makes us look a lot worse than Kaepernick.
MJW

Postby threadkiller » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:32 pm

I don't think some of you realize how insanely racist Ali was during the height of his professional stature. For over a decade, as a member of the Nation of Islam, he publicly advocated for segregation. As late as 1975 he was publicly calling for lynching blacks who slept with whites. He even appeared at a KKK rally to extol the virtues of strict segregation. Time and his greatness softened his image. He also changed his opinions on race relations after he left the NOI and much more so after conversion to Sufi Islam late in his life.
threadkiller

Postby Kress » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:42 pm

I'm in a Mike Glennon thread, reading about people comparing Colin ****ing Kaepernick to Muhammad Ali.

WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!?!
Kress

Postby RedLeader » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:45 pm

It metamorphasasized!
RedLeader

Postby Teitan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Kress wrote:I'm in a Mike Glennon thread, reading about people comparing Colin ****ing Kaepernick to Muhammad Ali.

WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!?!

MJW.

MJW is going on here.
Teitan

Postby Doctor » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:30 pm

MJW wrote:

Do it for the children.

Okay, that made me laugh.
Doctor

Postby terrytate » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:01 am

MJW wrote:
terrytate wrote:

This argument is predicated on two flaws - one that there was anything moderate about Ali's stances that made them more palatable to white America on account of the times. Ali said some incendiary stuff that mainstream white culture would have no use for at any point in history.

Two, that Kaep doesn't have a point because progress has happened.

Don't say it's different because we're somehow evaluating him based on the times. That's a cop out. He said it was White Slave Masters (like my dad, I guess) fighting in Vietnam. He said that if there are black people in heaven, they're probably preparing dinner and doing the wash for the white people. In what context is that "okay" in a way CK's pale rhetoric is not?

That leads me to the other point - that CK is speaking out of turn because we've advanced so much. We had advanced a whole lot more between 1860 and 1960, but he's still celebrated for speaking out. CK is saying the truth, just like Ali was. The truth that being black in America is still often a dangerous, crap deal. That's still true. But we vilify him for saying it. Would we treat him differently if he had 2 Superbowl rings now? I have no idea. But please don't tell me there's an consistency to how we approach these men.

Horseshit.

Ali was hated in his era until people like MLK eventually prove him mostly correct. It's only in his later years that his acts and opinions have been washed away as acts common to the era....and his own masterful greatness at boxing. It wouldn't suprise me if some old timers still think he's a tool though. If the truth be told, do some reading on the guy and you'll find he actually was something of a douchbag even without his political comments.

And again, it's not even Kaep's his political stance that has people sickened by him, it's that he directly attacked the flag and the anthem, things that many people hold dear. For a not insignificant number of people, the only thing they know about Kaep is his antics during the anthem. Lots of people and athletes have come out in favor of BLM or other "blacks are oppressed" causes. None of them have been blackballed out of their sports so far as I know. None of them also deliberately planned out an act to directly disrespect the country on one of the largest television stages there is in the US. If, for example, Jay Cutler did the exact same thing to protest another issue, like Christmas ads before Halloween, ....he be in the same boat with Kaep. Hell, there are people that still strongly believe that Jane Fonda should be executed for treason.

Since you touched on the issue, Kaep is a guy who grew up in a nice home, had all the advantages of life, went to college, got a job as a superstar paying him millions of dollars and wants to tell us how hard he had it? And people like you are buying it? Anyone that thinks racism is a life defining issue for every minority or that only white are guilty of racism have never spent much time in a ghetto or any other strongly racially mixed area.
terrytate

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:42 am

Leave it to extremely naive whites to tell us blacks how we should feel now because they believe "changes have been made".
Bootz2004

Postby Kress » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:56 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Leave it to extremely naive whites to tell us blacks how we should feel now because they believe "changes have been made".

Hey look! Reverse racism in full effect!
Kress

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:24 am

This thread has gone off the ****ing rails..
Super K

Postby The Outsider » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:56 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Leave it to extremely naive whites to tell us blacks how we should feel now because they believe "changes have been made".

If you don't watch it I'm using my inherent powers of white oppression to bring you down.
The Outsider

Postby Swashy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:02 am

Do it for the children.

Stop.... there are no more children. They're already dead. And I promise you when I say it's not my job to wipe their blood off your hands for not doing something about this sooner.

Good luck
Swashy

Postby RedLeader » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:34 am

Wait, bootz is black?!
RedLeader

Postby terrytate » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:53 pm

Because only white people can be racist, right?
terrytate

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:27 pm

This will be good
VauntedTampa2

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:33 pm

terrytate wrote:

Racist? This has nothing to do with racist/not racist and everything to do with entitlement. What gives you the right to tell people of a different background than you how they should feel relative to the times?
Bootz2004

Postby The Outsider » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
terrytate wrote:

Racist? This has nothing to do with racist/not racist and everything to do with entitlement. What gives you the right to tell people of a different background than you how they should feel relative to the times?

What gives you the right to tell me I don't have the right to tell you how to feel relative to the times?
The Outsider

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:50 pm

RedLeader wrote:Wait, bootz is black?!

light skinned :P
DreadNaught

Postby terrytate » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
terrytate wrote:

Oh please, enlighten me on entitlement. Please tell me how I have everything so much better based on my race.
terrytate

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:44 pm

All right..Time to move this motherfucker..
Super K

Postby Nano » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:20 pm

Are we still talking about Mike Glennon?
Nano

Postby terrytate » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:38 pm

Nano wrote:Are we still talking about Mike Glennon?

Indirectly. Some feel that the signing of Mike Glennon and others while Kaep remains out of work is proof of blackballing or some other nefarious race related charge.

The counter argument is that Kaep was a depreciated asset with serious baggage who wants a starting job with the appropriate salary, hence his unemployement.
terrytate

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Glennon is actually entitled to speak on behalf of black people.

IchabodCrane84

Postby terrytate » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:57 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:

Glennon is actually entitled to speak on behalf of black people.

Glennon's neck could probably dunk on most of the NBA.
terrytate

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions