Mike Glennon

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Mike Glennon

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:55 am

No, nothing has happened to him yet that I know of. Knowing my timing he might of just been involved in some Herschel Walker type trade though. He very well could be traded this weekend but I think that is more of the media and local fans than actual decision makers pushing that narrative around.

So I have seen him become a folk hero around here and it is stuck in a feed back loop with the media. To me the praise and hope seemed overblown and some might of been simply because he didn't do as bad as the husk of thrown away talent that was Freeman. Also him being young and so everyone thinking if you just play someone young they will turn into the next great. My question to you all is what happens if he not only doesn't get traded, but eventually re-signs back here to obviously play the backup roll? At that point do you possibly feel you over valued him? Do you say "so and so ruined him"? Do you think the rest of the NFL just doesn't see what you see and are making a big mistake?
PanteraCanes

Re: Mike Glennon

Postby SIBucsFan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:05 am

Whether he gets traded to a team he can start for or stays here in a backup role, I think Mike Glennon will be what he already is: a very solid backup QB, a serviceable starter when called upon, overall a reliable QB who is a game-manager in every sense. If he ever gets his chance to start, he will show that he is an efficient QB with the chance to have some very good seasons. There is some room for growth with playing time, but not much, the only improvement he could really show is limiting the rookie/young mistakes he made in the past. He already took care of the ball relatively well. His ceiling is Brad Johnson 1999-2003, and right now he is Brad Johnson 1995-1998. For this reason, I don't believe he will ever be considered "ruined", because he will be what he already is. He's solid and unspectacular, and for that reason he is a guy people root for, me included.

His value will always be determined by the need for competent QBs, not for the need of Mike Glennon specifically. I don't feel he is overvalued or undervalued because of this reason. It's all market-based.
SIBucsFan

Postby Terp » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:08 am

Mike Glennon hasn't done enough to show that he's worth anymore than say Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook. He's going to be available next year without costing draft picks. A trade for a QB has very rarely resulted in solidifying the position throughout NFL history.

I haven't understood the trade talk since the beginning.
Terp

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:10 am

SIBucsFan wrote:Whether he gets traded to a team he can start for or stays here in a backup role, I think Mike Glennon will be what he already is: a very solid backup QB, a serviceable starter when called upon, overall a reliable QB who is a game-manager in every sense. If he ever gets his chance to start, he will show that he is an efficient QB with the chance to have some very good seasons. There is some room for growth with playing time, but not much, the only improvement he could really show is limiting the rookie/young mistakes he made in the past. He already took care of the ball relatively well. His ceiling is Brad Johnson 1999-2003, and right now he is Brad Johnson 1995-1998. For this reason, I don't believe he will ever be considered "ruined", because he will be what he already is. He's solid and unspectacular, and for that reason he is a guy people root for, me included.

His value will always be determined by the need for competent QBs, not for the need of Mike Glennon specifically. I don't feel he is overvalued or undervalued because of this reason. It's all market-based.

I think that is a fair assessment. With a good line in front of him and decent talent around him, he could easily be some teams Brad Johnson. And there's nothing wrong with that at all. If he were to resign with the Bucs to play backup (doubtful), then I would probably question his motivation/desire.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:19 am

Since he only has one year left on his contract, I don't see him being traded unless it's for a 5th or a conditional future pick, and I don't think the Bucs would part ways with him for that late of a pick.

With that said, I think he'd be a better option for a team like Denver or NYJ as opposed to taking Lynch or Cook. If Glennon was in this draft, I think he'd be 3rd QB prospect.

Overall, I think the QBs in this draft are being SEVERELY overhyped. We're all going to laugh at the Rams and Eagles in a couple years for sending all those picks for Goff and Wentz.
pewterpirates

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:44 am

Buc2 wrote:I think that is a fair assessment. With a good line in front of him and decent talent around him, he could easily be some teams Brad Johnson. And there's nothing wrong with that at all. If he were to resign with the Bucs to play backup (doubtful), then I would probably question his motivation/desire.

What if it was next off season he comes back here after testing the market and finding no interest to possibly same interest and position as the Bucs would be offering?
PanteraCanes

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:50 am

PanteraCanes wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I think that is a fair assessment. With a good line in front of him and decent talent around him, he could easily be some teams Brad Johnson. And there's nothing wrong with that at all. If he were to resign with the Bucs to play backup (doubtful), then I would probably question his motivation/desire.

What if it was next off season he comes back here after testing the market and finding no interest to possibly same interest and position as the Bucs would be offering?

Then sign him up. I'd have no issue if that were the case.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby BacksidePursuit » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:15 pm

I love the depth in this draft. Give me a 2nd or 3rd for him and i'll be thrilled.
BacksidePursuit

Postby Buccs99 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:42 pm

Terp wrote:Mike Glennon hasn't done enough to show that he's worth anymore than say Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook. He's going to be available next year without costing draft picks. A trade for a QB has very rarely resulted in solidifying the position throughout NFL history.

Buccs99

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:19 pm

BacksidePursuit wrote:I love the depth in this draft. Give me a 2nd or 3rd for him and i'll be thrilled.

Give me a 4th (or better) that we can use to either trade up from #9, or trade back into round 1 with.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Buccs99 wrote:
Terp wrote:Mike Glennon hasn't done enough to show that he's worth anymore than say Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook. He's going to be available next year without costing draft picks. A trade for a QB has very rarely resulted in solidifying the position throughout NFL history.

Uhhhh...didn't Osweiler sign as a free agent?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby acaton » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:53 pm

Assuming Glennon is good with it I think we should keep him right here.

Short, fat and slow often does the trick...45ACP
acaton

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:56 pm

Buccs99 wrote:

You've proven his point
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:36 pm

Terp wrote:Mike Glennon hasn't done enough to show that he's worth anymore than say Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook.

Other than 3 years in the NFL including 13 starts as a rookie posting better than a 2:1 TD/INT ratio with a less than stellar supporting cast.

Terp wrote:He's going to be available next year without costing draft picks.

Very true, but trading for him gives you a very inexpensive QB in 2016 and an inside track in re-signing him.

Terp wrote:A trade for a QB has very rarely resulted in solidifying the position throughout NFL history.

Drafting a QB outside of the top 10 is almost equally unsuccessful. Yet teams do it every year.

If teams are paying a kings ransom for the chance to get Wentz/Goff, or a giving Osweiler (who was picked just 16 spots earlier than Glennon a year later and has less NFL experience and productivity) $18m per year and $37m guaranteed, than how can anyone objectively say that Glennon is not worthy of a 3rd or 4th rd pick in that type of market.

Here is a fact, Mike Glennon had better efficiency stats in 13 games as a rookie on a terrible Bucs team than Osweiler did in his 4th NFL season over 9 games for a team that won the Super Bowl.

Yet Osweiler is worth $18m/yr ($37m guaranteed) in this market, and in the same market Glennon is not worth a 3rd or 4th rd pick?
DreadNaught

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:59 pm

I think Houston hit the panic button big time on QB. Also it seems the Rams and Eagles did as well with what they traded to move up in the draft. What teams are left that will hit the panic button on QB and trade this year or pay big next off season? Also which of those teams is going to hit the panic button on Glennon rather than some other option?
PanteraCanes

Postby Four Verticals » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:06 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Terp wrote:Mike Glennon hasn't done enough to show that he's worth anymore than say Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook.

Other than 3 years in the NFL including 13 starts as a rookie posting better than a 2:1 TD/INT ratio with a less than stellar supporting cast.

Very true, but trading for him gives you a very inexpensive QB in 2016 and an inside track in re-signing him.

Terp wrote:A trade for a QB has very rarely resulted in solidifying the position throughout NFL history.

Drafting a QB outside of the top 10 is almost equally unsuccessful. Yet teams do it every year.

If teams are paying a kings ransom for the chance to get Wentz/Goff, or a giving Osweiler (who was picked just 16 spots earlier than Glennon a year later and has less NFL experience and productivity) $18m per year and $37m guaranteed, than how can anyone objectively say that Glennon is not worthy of a 3rd or 4th rd pick in that type of market.

Here is a fact, Mike Glennon had better efficiency stats in 13 games as a rookie on a terrible Bucs team than Osweiler did in his 4th NFL season over 9 games for a team that won the Super Bowl.

Yet Osweiler is worth $18m/yr ($37m guaranteed) in this market, and in the same market Glennon is not worth a 3rd or 4th rd pick?

All quite logical. The only problem seems to be that there doesn't seem to be the same opinion across the league. We can say that a team "could" trade for him during the draft but which team would that be?
Four Verticals

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:08 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:I think Houston hit the panic button big time on QB. Also it seems the Rams and Eagles did as well with what they traded to move up in the draft. What teams are left that will hit the panic button on QB and trade this year or pay big next off season? Also which of those teams is going to hit the panic button on Glennon rather than some other option?

Is trading a 3rd or 4th for Glennon really considered 'hitting the panic button'?

I'm really not trying to change anyone's mind regarding their opinion of Glennon as a player, but moreso pointing out the current QB market in the NFL. In such a market it could be argued that Glennon is pretty good value for a 3rd or 4th.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:12 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

We'll see about Glennon's worth in the next 3 days, but everyone keeps going back and forth about this, it is more than just stats. Glennon looked bad much of the time, his numbers do not tell the story from that season and some on this board have bought into the numbers over the game film. Osweiler had some great film and some terrible film. I don't think anyone will argue that the Texans overpaid him and do not have enough info on him to anoint him a starter. He will probably fail, but he didn't cost a draft pick.

Glennon being a FA next year really hurts his stock even more. I hope we can get something for him, but I don't think it's likely. Teams are unpredictable with QBs...someone could give a 1st(probably not) or a 7th...We shall see.
uscbucsfan

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:26 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
PanteraCanes wrote:I think Houston hit the panic button big time on QB. Also it seems the Rams and Eagles did as well with what they traded to move up in the draft. What teams are left that will hit the panic button on QB and trade this year or pay big next off season? Also which of those teams is going to hit the panic button on Glennon rather than some other option?

Is trading a 3rd or 4th for Glennon really considered 'hitting the panic button'?

I'm really not trying to change anyone's mind regarding their opinion of Glennon as a player, but moreso pointing out the current QB market in the NFL. In such a market it could be argued that Glennon is pretty good value for a 3rd or 4th.

Again what team? It seems no team has been interested at all since we took him. Even the people who took him seemed to viewed him more as a project, then when forced to play him made sure to stay on him about managing the game and not making mistakes or taking risks.

If it is a 4th round pick then I would have to guess that team is not really interested in him as a starter. Probably same for a 3rd.

I don't see a team looking for him over Ryan Fitzpatrick. Would probably put Brian Hoyer over him as well. Teams can have those guys without trading right now. Then next year Bradford and Kaepernick will be his competition most likely. Not sure who else?
PanteraCanes

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:58 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Again what team? It seems no team has been interested at all since we took him. Even the people who took him seemed to viewed him more as a project, then when forced to play him made sure to stay on him about managing the game and not making mistakes or taking risks.

If it is a 4th round pick then I would have to guess that team is not really interested in him as a starter. Probably same for a 3rd.

I don't see a team looking for him over Ryan Fitzpatrick. Would probably put Brian Hoyer over him as well. Teams can have those guys without trading right now. Then next year Bradford and Kaepernick will be his competition most likely. Not sure who else?

Deadlines spur action, and there has been no reason to trade Glennon if you're Jason Licht until this weekend (assuming the Bucs want to trade Glennon, which I think/hope they do).

My point here is that in the current NFL QB market, a 26yr old Glennon is worth a mid round pick based on what teams are paying/giving up for far less proven, or arguably worse commodities.

ALL of those QB except Hoyer are currently making over $11m/yr or demanding that much. Glennon is due around $1.5m in 2016.

If you're a team that has uncertainty at the QB position, is a 3rd or 4th rd pick not worth the risk when considering what teams are giving up/paying for QBs that are of equal or lesser talent?
DreadNaught

Postby Four Verticals » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:15 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
PanteraCanes wrote:

Deadlines spur action, and there has been no reason to trade Glennon if you're Jason Licht until this weekend (assuming the Bucs want to trade Glennon, which I think/hope they do).

My point here is that in the current NFL QB market, a 26yr old Glennon is worth a mid round pick based on what teams are paying/giving up for far less proven, or arguably worse commodities.

ALL of those QB except Hoyer are currently making over $11m/yr or demanding that much. Glennon is due around $1.5m in 2016.

If you're a team that has uncertainty at the QB position, is a 3rd or 4th rd pick not worth the risk when considering what teams are giving up/paying for QBs that are of equal or lesser talent?

The problem is that there either is or appears to be to this point a disconnect between what we think of Glennon....I think he's better than Osweiler...and what the league thinks of him in general.

What you're posting I'd agree with however it doesn't appear the league agrees with us.
Four Verticals

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:25 pm

Four Verticals wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

The problem is that there either is or appears to be to this point a disconnect between what we think of Glennon....I think he's better than Osweiler...and what the league thinks of him in general.

What you're posting I'd agree with however it doesn't appear the league agrees with us.

Based on what? Not seeing/reading snippets on ESPN about their sources claiming certain teams are interested in Glennon?? Why would/should there be any buzz regarding Glennon until this weekend? Kap and Bradford trade buzz is due to those teams being relevant and getting people's attention. People care about Kap or Bradford being traded, hence why it's on tv and written about constantly. Nobody outside of Tampa cares about a Mike Glennon trade. Nobody has any idea about how much interest Glennon has garnered. We will find out soon enough. And Hoyer over Glennon? K.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Four Verticals » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:51 pm

VauntedTampa2 wrote:
Four Verticals wrote:

Based on what? Not seeing/reading snippets on ESPN about their sources claiming certain teams are interested in Glennon?? Why would/should there be any buzz regarding Glennon until this weekend? Kap and Bradford trade buzz is due to those teams being relevant and getting people's attention. People care about Kap or Bradford being traded, hence why it's on tv and written about constantly. Nobody outside of Tampa cares about a Mike Glennon trade. Nobody has any idea about how much interest Glennon has garnered. We will find out soon enough. And Hoyer over Glennon? K.

Those same teams would have "buzz" around them no matter who the QB is.
Four Verticals

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:33 am

But not Tampa. Whelp, there goes Denver as trade partners. Who's left? Jets? Browns? Not lookin good for us...
VauntedTampa2

Postby Doctor » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:35 am

You guys need to relax. There's still pre-season. There's still the chance that someone's starting QB goes down. Lots can still happen. And even if all of that doesn't, he could walk next year and we could get a comp pick. There's many variables in play.
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:36 am

Doctor wrote:You guys need to relax. There's still pre-season. There's still the chance that someone's starting QB goes down. Lots can still happen. And even if all of that doesn't, he could walk next year and we could get a comp pick. There's many variables in play.

You need to let this go. Glennon is NOT a hot commodity. He has no value as a starting QB anywhere. We're not getting a comp pick because no team is throwing a boat load of money at him next year and we likely will continue filling holes in FA with a bunch of "value" signings. Saying "there's still a chance" that a QB gets hurt is wishful thinking at best. Glennon aint that good.
Bootz2004

Postby bearlandbucfan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:43 am

I think the biggest knock on Glennon, which isn't his fault, is he hasn't had a steady coordinator or playbook in his entire stay here in Tampa. I think his value would be higher with his stats if he had been under one coordinator and one playbook all that time. They are basically getting a rookie.
bearlandbucfan

Postby BucaRican » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:44 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Other than 3 years in the NFL including 13 starts as a rookie posting better than a 2:1 TD/INT ratio with a less than stellar supporting cast.

We'll see about Glennon's worth in the next 3 days, but everyone keeps going back and forth about this, it is more than just stats. Glennon looked bad much of the time, his numbers do not tell the story from that season and some on this board have bought into the numbers over the game film. Osweiler had some great film and some terrible film. I don't think anyone will argue that the Texans overpaid him and do not have enough info on him to anoint him a starter. He will probably fail, but he didn't cost a draft pick.

Glennon being a FA next year really hurts his stock even more. I hope we can get something for him, but I don't think it's likely. Teams are unpredictable with QBs...someone could give a 1st(probably not) or a 7th...We shall see.

You do Understand all the things Glennon put up with when he had his opportunity right?

2013- Josh Freeman issues, MRSA scandal, Doug Martin gets Hurt, Offensive line non existent, Greg Schiano is the head coach, no real offensive coordinator or QB coach. Glennon was not even suppose to be the starter that year, he comes in that year and as a rookie and throws 19TDs with only 9 picks.

2014- Glennon gets 0 shot at being the starter because Lovie comes in and is enamored Josh McCown, Yet Glennon comes in at the end of the year and out performs McCown, with a dismal Offensive Coaching staff.

Say what you want about the guy when put in the light he has shown flashes of being a pretty good QB, he has the work ethic, and he is a team player, he could have been a diva when McCown was brought in, he had another shot to be a Diva when Winston was drafted. He has never had a off-season as the guy even when he should have been the guy. The times he was put in to start he had incompetent coaches on offense. A year with Dirk Koetter and learning has probably done wonders for the guy.

Brock Osweiler got paid tons of Money and put up similar numbers with the best team in the league and one can argue that the numbers would have been worse if he would have started more games as his turnover numbers started to rise.

I cant understand why a team like the Rams, and Eagles would trade so much with a guy like Glennon available for trade. No way Jared Goff and Carson Wentz are worth everything those 2 teams gave up for them. When Glennon could have been had maybe for just 1 3rd round pick.
BucaRican

Postby BacksidePursuit » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:20 pm

Adam Schefter
Adam Schefter – Verified account ‏@AdamSchefter

Bucs GM Jason Licht said he didn't receive any inquiries about QB Mike Glennon. "Mike’s a Buc and I’m glad he’s a Buc," Licht said.

No one wants the dude. Accept it.
BacksidePursuit

Postby Nano » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:36 pm

He's probably not leaving in FA either. Lets just re-sign him to a decent backup extension, and not have to worry about drafting a QB for the next decade.
Nano

Next

Return to Team Discussions