***OFFICIAL*** 2019 NFL Season Thread

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 NFL Season Thread

Postby Buc2 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:09 am

PetePierson wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Right? A person with a prefrontal lobotomy has more brains than this guy.

It is so unbelievably stupid. I almost think that he is truly ignorant to the rule and thought he wasn't doing anything wrong.

That would at least make a little more sense. After all, gambling on NFL games is legal in many states now. Still not an excuse for not knowing your employers rules and it also runs counter to common sense.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PetePierson » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:11 am

Buc2 wrote:
PetePierson wrote:
It is so unbelievably stupid. I almost think that he is truly ignorant to the rule and thought he wasn't doing anything wrong.

That would at least make a little more sense. After all, gambling on NFL games is legal in many states now. Still not an excuse for not knowing your employers rules and it also runs counter to common sense.

You would also have to think that he would know that even if it were allowed, probably shouldn't bet on your own team... especially to lose.
PetePierson

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:13 am

Just realized Noah Dawkins is faster than Devin White.
mdb1958

Postby ComingThisFall » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:15 am

PetePierson wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Right? A person with a prefrontal lobotomy has more brains than this guy.

Or he has CTE
ComingThisFall

Postby MJW » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:57 am

I like how gambling is basically the death penalty for your career, but you can beat up a woman on tape and be back by Thanksgiving.

Don't get me wrong - I get it. It's just something fun to keep in mind when the league gets preachy about anything.
MJW

Postby acmillis » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:35 am

MJW wrote:I like how gambling is basically the death penalty for your career, but you can beat up a woman on tape and be back by Thanksgiving.

Don't get me wrong - I get it. It's just something fun to keep in mind when the league gets preachy about anything.

This was my reaction to the Myles Garrett "fight" too. If he would have swung his helmet at a female in an apartment, he would have been suspended for 4 games. The NFL is a complete joke when it comes to "discipline."
acmillis

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:05 am

PetePierson wrote:
Buc2 wrote:That would at least make a little more sense. After all, gambling on NFL games is legal in many states now. Still not an excuse for not knowing your employers rules and it also runs counter to common sense.

You would also have to think that he would know that even if it were allowed, probably shouldn't bet on your own team... especially to lose.

Remember how many players didn’t know an NFL game could end in a tie? It’s not inconceivable that he thought gambling was legal for NFL players.
PrimeMinister

Postby BJJ34 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:26 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
PetePierson wrote:Everyone knows about Pete Rose and he beat on the Cards too.

Remember how many players didn’t know an NFL game could end in a tie? It’s not inconceivable that he thought gambling was legal for NFL players.
BJJ34

Postby PetePierson » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:27 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
PetePierson wrote:

Good point.

Oh, it is still fun to laugh at McNabb.
PetePierson

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:39 am

MJW wrote:I like how gambling is basically the death penalty for your career, but you can beat up a woman on tape and be back by Thanksgiving.

So you agree but are complaining anyway? :?

A player gambling on the sports league he is employed by is pretty nefarious. Taking that a step further and betting on your own team to lose is unforgivable b/c it violates the ethos of 'fair play'. That's what Josh Shaw did, and what Pete Rose did. Rose was actually way worse b/c he was the manager of the team whereas Shaw wasn't even on the active roster.

I get the gripes about off field conduct and the personal conduct policy. But the fact is no two situations are the same so consistency is much easier in theory than in practice.

Thanksgiving is also like 12 games/75% into the season. What other league is harsher than the NFL when it comes to DV incidents?
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:47 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
PetePierson wrote:

Sounds like the Hillary Clinton defense. :lol:

That's like someone who works for the Securities and Exchange Commission saying they weren't aware he couldn't invest in the stock market after being charged with insider trading.

Don't conflate gambling with betting on the league you play in (or in this case betting against the team he was on) in as if they're interchangeable.

NFL players can gamble, they just can't bet on NFL games for obvious reasons.

This idiot not only bet on NFL games, he bet on the team he was drawing a check from to lose.

And Yes, NFL players are told not bet on the NFL. Ignorance isn't an excuse.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:52 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

A player gambling on the sports league he is employed by is pretty nefarious. Taking that a step further and betting on your own team to lose is unforgivable b/c it violates the ethos of 'fair play'. That's what Josh Shaw did, and what Pete Rose did. Rose was actually way worse b/c he was the manager of the team whereas Shaw wasn't even on the active roster.

I get the gripes about off field conduct and the personal conduct policy. But the fact is no two situations are the same so consistency is much easier in theory than in practice.

Thanksgiving is also like 12 games/75% into the season. What other league is harsher than the NFL when it comes to DV incidents?
\
From my understanding, Rose never bet against his team. Only for it.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:37 pm

I dont know if ya'll have been watching but the NFL is going through damn near every player that can walk!
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:15 pm

If they put the non-exclusive franchise tag on Dak, what would you like the see the Bucs do?
Doctor

Postby GrownishBF » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:20 pm

Doctor wrote:If they put the non-exclusive franchise tag on Dak, what would you like the see the Bucs do?

Put the same tag on Jameis.
GrownishBF

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:23 pm

Doctor wrote:If they put the non-exclusive franchise tag on Dak, what would you like the see the Bucs do?

I'm not interested in trading for Dak in any way, shape, or form.
DreadNaught

Postby Caradoc » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:35 pm

League discipline isn't about moral judgments - that is for the SJW mob and histrionic message board posters - nor is it about criminal judgements - that is for the law to deal with.

Like any other business, their discipline is, correctly, based on how it affects the business. Like it or not, DV isn't something enough fans believe should end your career and destroy your future prospects. So the league puts some symbolic discipline down to placate those who are upset about it. Gambling on the games though can call into question the integrity of the game itself. The league has to be objective and there can't be cheating, point shaving, etc (or they at least have to appear that way). If they lose that trust it can have a significant negative impact to the business. That is why"Spygate, Bountygate, Deflategate" etc, were all treated more seriously than non NFL related offenses. Because they are a business, not the police.
Caradoc

Postby MJW » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:22 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

I didn't say I agreed. I said I understood. They're not the same thing. I understand that gamblers make the NFL go 'round, and most fans have no problem buying shirts for their kids with the name of a rapist on the back, provided he's good.

Like I said, I get it. The league gets it. Doesn't mean anyone has to be okay with it.
MJW

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:41 am

DreadNaught wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Sounds like the Hillary Clinton defense. :lol:

That's like someone who works for the Securities and Exchange Commission saying they weren't aware he couldn't invest in the stock market after being charged with insider trading.

Don't conflate gambling with betting on the league you play in (or in this case betting against the team he was on) in as if they're interchangeable.

This idiot not only bet on NFL games, he bet on the team he was drawing a check from to lose.

Where did I say ignorance was an excuse or make an excuse for this guy?

You wrote out this entire post saying a bunch of crap we already agree on. What’s your point?
PrimeMinister

Postby PetePierson » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:36 am

The Outsider wrote:Holy **** Kyle Allen what a bum.

What is the deal with the kid they drafter from WV, Grier? I didn't think he was injured. Living up here, I know he did not have the best of camps.
But the season is and has been over for them. You spent a 3rd on the kid, throw him out there....
PetePierson

Postby Buc You » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:48 am

PetePierson wrote:What is the deal with the kid they drafter from WV, Grier? I didn't think he was injured. Living up here, I know he did not have the best of camps.
But the season is and has been over for them. You spent a 3rd on the kid, throw him out there....

He's probably refusing to play unless they ensure that he'll be the starter next year.
Buc You

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:52 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Sounds like the Hillary Clinton defense. :lol:

Where did I say ignorance was an excuse or make an excuse for this guy?

You wrote out this entire post saying a bunch of crap we already agree on. What’s your point?

I'm glad we agree. I misinterpreted your post as some type do defense/excuse.
DreadNaught

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:28 pm

Guess who's starting Monday night Dec 9?

Spoiler:
Crocaneers

Postby acmillis » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:53 pm

Crocaneers wrote:Guess who's starting Monday night Dec 9?

Spoiler:

Remember the last time NYG played on MNF and there was a backup QB involved...I remember:

acmillis

Postby PetePierson » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:58 pm

acmillis wrote:Remember the last time NYG played on MNF and there was a backup QB involved...I remember:

Greatest gif to ever grace any rendition of this board.
I can watch that and Shaman getting beat up by a fat chick every time they are posted.
PetePierson

Postby Buc2 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:15 pm

Wtf are the Giants on MNF anyway? Everyone knew they would suck this year back in June. Long before the TV schedules had to be completed.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:33 pm

Buc2 wrote:Wtf are the Giants on MNF anyway? Everyone knew they would suck this year back in June. Long before the TV schedules had to be completed.

They play in the largest media market in the US.
DreadNaught

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:34 pm

acmillis wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:Guess who's starting Monday night Dec 9?

Spoiler:

Remember the last time NYG played on MNF and there was a backup QB involved...I remember:

lmao the end part seals it
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:39 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Wtf are the Giants on MNF anyway? Everyone knew they would suck this year back in June. Long before the TV schedules had to be completed.

So? If you suck, you suck. No one outside of NY gives a **** them and NYers likely don't give a **** about them at this point either.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:50 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

Also the NFC East division is usually pretty close. Cowboys play the Bears Thursday, and this is a big game for Philly, so it will bring an audience. Eli may even bring a .1 or .2.
Crocaneers

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions