Play GM: What are we going to do for a starting QB in 2020?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Play GM: What are we going to do for a starting QB in 20

Postby PetePierson » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:30 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Snake wrote: I still haven’t given up on Rosen and if he could he had for a 5th we should do it the first day of the offseason.

He was just traded for a late 2nd a year after being drafted 10th overall. So I'm not sure what his value would be, but I doubt the Dolphins feel he'd be a ideal mentor/back-up to Tua/Burrow so I'm sure they'd shop him.

Rosen has looked bad on some bad teams. Pretty sure he would look bad on a bad Tampa team as well.
PetePierson

Postby Snake » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:31 am

PetePierson wrote:
Deuce wrote:Let Jameis walk in FA. Sign Andy Dalton after he's cut by the Bengals. Draft a rookie with the first round pick.

Play Andy until the rookie is ready.

Hate to say it but Dalton does seem like the best option available (which is not saying much). But difficult to believe in a guy who just got benched after going 0-7.

Plus, also worried that Ginger would just burst into flames in Tampa during July - September.

Interestingly enough - or not - Dalton was 68-50 before this year started. The wins - statistically - are probably in spite of him - I remember the Bengals have a pretty strong defense years back. But he does have 4 ten win seasons under his belt and five 9+ win seasons.
Snake

Postby Deuce » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:31 am

DanTurksGhost wrote:
Deuce wrote:
They just resigned him to a 2-year, $30 million deal

Ah, okay. Didn't see that He's still on my 2020 FA list. I'll scratch his name. Thanks.

You could always...ya know...look at the list I just posted in this thread.
Deuce

Postby Cheb » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:34 am

After further consideration, I think I changed my mind.

Boom.
Cheb

Postby PetePierson » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:37 am

This is Tampa so the fans will end up with ****ing Geno Smith or Blake Bortles.

Wouldn't mind them taking a flyer on Tyrod Taylor, though.
PetePierson

Postby DanTurksGhost » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:39 am

Deuce wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:
Ah, okay. Didn't see that He's still on my 2020 FA list. I'll scratch his name. Thanks.

You could always...ya know...look at the list I just posted in this thread.

'Sisn't see the list until after I posted it. But again, thank you!
DanTurksGhost

Postby LynchysKiss » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:40 am

Enough of these scum bags

Lets bring in the All American Dad

LynchysKiss

Postby PetePierson » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:40 am

Hey Lady, it is a Vagina. Not a Clown Car.
PetePierson

Postby DanTurksGhost » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:43 am

I just hope our coaching staff and front office are on the same page and agree that Jameis is not the answer for 2020. What worries me most is that we're going to continue to try and make him into the QB we need. As much as I wanted him here when we drafted him, I want him gone that much now.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Teitan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:45 am

You guys are gonna make Caradoc so mad.
Teitan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:48 am

PetePierson wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
He was just traded for a late 2nd a year after being drafted 10th overall. So I'm not sure what his value would be, but I doubt the Dolphins feel he'd be a ideal mentor/back-up to Tua/Burrow so I'm sure they'd shop him.

Rosen has looked bad on some bad teams. Pretty sure he would look bad on a bad Tampa team as well.

Outside of our Secondary (which hypothetically should be improved in year 2 under Bowles as all these young guys gain experience) I don't feel this is a bad roster.

Obviously in this scenario we are moving on from Jameis which addresses the other weakness on the team.

But we can agree to disagree on our perceived strength of the roster.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:53 am

If the plan is to move on from Jameis, I'd opt for an all out tank in 2020 to get Trevor Lawrence.
real bucs fan

Postby PetePierson » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:04 am

DreadNaught wrote:Outside of our Secondary (which hypothetically should be improved in year 2 under Bowles as all these young guys gain experience) I don't feel this is a bad roster.

Obviously in this scenario we are moving on from Jameis which addresses the other weakness on the team.

I don't disagree that Tampa's roster is better than what he had in Arizona last season and now in Miami.
But he has looked very lost from what I have seen. Not sure you trade out one first round bust for another.

real bucs fan wrote:If the plan is to move on from Jameis, I'd opt for an all out tank in 2020 to get Trevor Lawrence.

They haven't been tanking? The Jameis "Error" is them trying to win?
PetePierson

Postby TheChefO » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:06 am

Cheb wrote:After further consideration, I think I changed my mind.

Boom.

The kid is Jacksonville incarnate ... Even if the NFL moved the franchise to London... He will still be in Jacksonville, down at the city park, pigskin in hand, and playing football (with or without a team) .... And for the record, he will win.
Last edited by TheChefO on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheChefO

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:16 am

PetePierson wrote:I don't disagree that Tampa's roster is better than what he had in Arizona last season and now in Miami.
But he has looked very lost from what I have seen. Not sure you trade out one first round bust for another.

I agree, but my post had a move for Rosen as a 3rd option along with a vet (Gabbert) and whoever we'd draft in the top 10 overall (Hebert).

Basically let Gabbert-Rosen battle it out and keep the seat warm until the rookie is ready.

Totally agree Rosen has looked lost, but in his defense he's been dealt a terrible hand in terms of his surroundings/development. If you put him behind a solid Oline with great targets along with good QB coaching he might be worth a damn and not look so lost if placed in a better environment that allows him to be more comfortable. He certainly spins it as good as anyone.

There is also the connection to Leftwich who coached him in Arizona last season.

So for the sake of this exercise where we are planning out how we move on from Jameis I'd want to stack the QB position with more than just the Vet and Rookie cliché.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:18 am

Minshew is a rookie 6th round draft pick. The Jaguars aren't trading him unless you're forking over some serious draft capital. I'm sure they feel they have an awesome back-up for Foles who can take over in 2-3 years. No way they let go of that type of asset.
DreadNaught

Postby PetePierson » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:25 am

DreadNaught wrote:I agree, but my post had a move for Rosen as a 3rd option along with a vet (Gabbert) and whoever we'd draft in the top 10 overall (Hebert).

Basically let Gabbert-Rosen battle it out and keep the seat warm until the rookie is ready.

Totally agree Rosen has looked lost, but in his defense he's been dealt a terrible hand in terms of his surroundings/development. If you put him behind a solid Oline with great targets along with good QB coaching he might be worth a damn and not look so lost if placed in a better environment that allows him to be more comfortable. He certainly spins it as good as anyone.

There is also the connection to Leftwich who coached him in Arizona last season.

So for the sake of this exercise where we are planning out how we move on from Jameis I'd want to stack the QB position with more than just the Vet and Rookie cliché.

Again, no argument from me. The bottom line and the real dirty-end of the stick is that there are no potential FA or potential rookies to get super excited about. And even if you (in general) are still #TeamWinston; you can't be excited about that either.

So, per usual and regardless of the outcome - the Yucks fans get BOHICA'd.
PetePierson

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:34 am

PetePierson wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Outside of our Secondary (which hypothetically should be improved in year 2 under Bowles as all these young guys gain experience) I don't feel this is a bad roster.

I don't disagree that Tampa's roster is better than what he had in Arizona last season and now in Miami.

real bucs fan wrote:If the plan is to move on from Jameis, I'd opt for an all out tank in 2020 to get Trevor Lawrence.

They haven't been tanking? The Jameis "Error" is them trying to win?

Lawrence will require the first overall pick- which would require a deliberate tank.
real bucs fan

Postby Deuce » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:36 am

DreadNaught wrote:
PetePierson wrote:I don't disagree that Tampa's roster is better than what he had in Arizona last season and now in Miami.

I agree, but my post had a move for Rosen as a 3rd option along with a vet (Gabbert) and whoever we'd draft in the top 10 overall (Hebert).

Dude, I saw Gabbert in training camp and he was really erratic. He made Jameis look like Dan Marino.

In pre-season against the Dolphins, he went 5-12, for 42 yards, and was sacked twice.

If he ever plays a starting snap for us, we're in big trouble.
Deuce

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:41 am

Deuce wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Dude, I saw Gabbert in training camp and he was really erratic. He made Jameis look like Dan Marino.

In pre-season against the Dolphins, he went 5-12, for 42 yards, and was sacked twice.

Sounds like an excellent tank commander.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:41 am

Deuce wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

He'd be the bandaid/bridge at most. I'm not making a case to build around Blaine Gabbert. I just don't see a difference between him and Andy Dalton and Gabbert has the advantage of being a BA guy already in the system.
DreadNaught

Postby Deuce » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:42 am

DreadNaught wrote:This is why I can't you serious when discussing Jameis. We obviously see different things.

Dalton has had freaking AJ Green!!! Not to mention Sanu AND Marvin Jones on their rookie 4yr contracts. Eifert also. Gimmie a break with 'good targets' argument. We know what Dalton does with good targets because he's had them.

Is any of that better than Evans + Godwin + Howard + Brate + Rojo + a solid o-line + Bruce Arians as HC? I think you're underrating the talent around whoever starts at QB. And Dalton was coached by freaking Marvin Lewis.

The thing Andy has had that Jameis hasn't is a solid defense on the other side of the ball.
Deuce

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:44 am

If either Blaine Gabbert or Andy Dalton are our starting QB by design, then I will most likely take those Sundays off from football until they are inevitably benched. I just can’t see doing that to myself.

I’m also a proponent in letting rookie QBs play, so if we have a QBOTF on the roster he better be able to beat out our one of those two.

If we don’t have a bonafide day one QBOTF then I sure as **** hope for a better stopgap than one of those two. Ugh.
Deja Entendu

Postby Deuce » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:49 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Deuce wrote:

He'd be the bandaid/bridge at most. I'm not making a case to build around Blaine Gabbert. I just don't see a difference between him and Andy Dalton and Gabbert has the advantage of being a BA guy already in the system.

Gabbert has a career high of 12 TDs, when he also threw 11 INTs. He's never been able to earn/keep a starting job in the league. Dalton held a starting job for 8 years. His career low in TDs is 18 (8 INTs).

They aren't in the same ballpark. Assuming we wanted to be competitive, Dalton would be a way better option than Gabbert.

I get that Dalton might not fit the offense, his yards per attempt is relatively low. But I think you're really underrating him.
Deuce

Postby Deuce » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:50 am

Deja Entendu wrote:If either Blaine Gabbert or Andy Dalton are our starting QB by design, then I will most likely take those Sundays off from football until they are inevitably benched. I just can’t see doing that to myself.

I’m also a proponent in letting rookie QBs play, so if we have a QBOTF on the roster he better be able to beat out our one of those two.

If we don’t have a bonafide day one QBOTF then I sure as **** hope for a better stopgap than one of those two. Ugh.

Wanna throw a name out there?
Deuce

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:54 am

Deuce wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:This is why I can't you serious when discussing Jameis. We obviously see different things.

Dalton has had freaking AJ Green!!! Not to mention Sanu AND Marvin Jones on their rookie 4yr contracts. Eifert also. Gimmie a break with 'good targets' argument. We know what Dalton does with good targets because he's had them.

Is any of that better than Evans + Godwin + Howard + Brate + Rojo + a solid o-line + Bruce Arians as HC? I think you're underrating the talent around whoever starts at QB. And Dalton was coached by freaking Marvin Lewis.

The thing Andy has had that Jameis hasn't is a solid defense on the other side of the ball.

I'm saying Andy Dalton has been surrounded by great weapons MUCH of his career in response to post wondering what that would look like. Which group was better is subjective and I'd say both groups of weapons were pretty elite.

Dalton was coached by Jay Gruden, who has ALWAYS been a good offensive coach and playcaller. Good enough to parlay that into a HC job he held onto longer than many.

So despite a good OC/playcaller, good Oline, elite talent at WR/TE and a perennial top 10 defense for a number of years (arguably the greatest supporting cast a QB could ask for) Andy Dalton has ZERO playoff wins.

With everything as perfect as it gets on a NFL roster around the QB position the very best an Andy Dalton led team did was a 1st round exit. When the supporting cast isn't as good they are drafting top 10.

So to me Dalton is a band-aid to keep the seat warm. Add in the fact he's not the type of QB BA has normally had and I don't see the motivation to acquire him. BA wants a QB to push the ball downfield, that isn't Andy Dalton.

Now if we get a new coaching staff and OC who is more of WCO/short passing type of scheme, sure. Dalton is a better option than Gabbert
Last edited by DreadNaught on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:58 am

Moving on from Jameis for a Dalton (or any other available "vet") makes ZERO sense. It's either Winston, a draft pick like Herbert/Fromm, or a full on 2020 tank for a shot at Trevor Lawrence. If Arians sticks around, it'll be Winston. If not, let's tank for Lawrence. Anything in between is a waste.
real bucs fan

Postby PetePierson » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:09 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Moving on from Jameis for a Dalton (or any other available "vet") makes ZERO sense. It's either Winston, a draft pick like Herbert/Fromm, or a full on 2020 tank for a shot at Trevor Lawrence. If Arians sticks around, it'll be Winston. If not, let's tank for Lawrence. Anything in between is a waste.

Not sure how you can say considering the amount of money it would take to keep the Human Turnover machine.
I also wouldn't be so sure that Arians is in love with Winston regardless of what he says at the Pressers.

When Cool Daddy BA knows you can't be fixed, it is no gouda. Someone (maybe DN) mentioned it in another thread; Jameis will in all likelihood bounce around as a Backup for a few more years and then we'll read about him being broke about 7 years after his final turnover.... errr.... pass.
PetePierson

Postby Deuce » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:18 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Moving on from Jameis for a Dalton (or any other available "vet") makes ZERO sense. It's either Winston, a draft pick like Herbert/Fromm, or a full on 2020 tank for a shot at Trevor Lawrence. If Arians sticks around, it'll be Winston. If not, let's tank for Lawrence. Anything in between is a waste.

I'm not sure Arians would agree to your "Winston is your QB or you have to retire" proposition. If BA sees a veteran QB out there would could run the offense better than Winston, I don't see how it makes zero sense to acquire him.
Deuce

Postby Deuce » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:19 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Deuce wrote:

So to me Dalton is a band-aid to keep the seat warm.

Deuce wrote:Let Jameis walk in FA. Sign Andy Dalton after he's cut by the Bengals. Draft a rookie with the first round pick.

Play Andy until the rookie is ready.
Deuce

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions