*** Official NFL OFFSEASON THREAD ***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: *** Official NFL OFFSEASON THREAD ***

Postby PetePierson » Wed May 01, 2019 9:34 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
PetePierson wrote:
I thought Martin was already on the roster?

Martin was on the roster last season.
He was not on the roster for 2019. Josh Jacobs was given Martin’s #28 actually. Martin was re-signed today after news of the injury.

#Word. Martin better get his number back!
PetePierson

Postby Doctor » Thu May 02, 2019 8:56 am

Jamaal Charles finishes with the highest YPC in a career among RBs. Way to go. And he did it during a time when the chiefs OL was in a slump, imagine if he had that early 2000s OL. At the end of the day poor guy was just too fast for his body.
Doctor

Postby Doctor » Thu May 02, 2019 8:56 am

Sebastian Janikowski told ESPN that, after 19 seasons, he is retiring from NFL at the age of 41: “It was a good run. I still think of the Super Bowl - it still hurts.” He plans to turn into a cab driver, taking his 3 girls to school. Seabass made more $ than any K in NFL history.

God damn, we haven't even been able to go 19 games with the same kicker. Imagine not having to worry about the kicker position for 19 YEARS!
Doctor

Postby MJW » Sat May 04, 2019 6:23 am

Doctor wrote:Jamaal Charles finishes with the highest YPC in a career among RBs. Way to go. And he did it during a time when the chiefs OL was in a slump, imagine if he had that early 2000s OL. At the end of the day poor guy was just too fast for his body.

The Chiefs have had some of the best running backs of their era, but oddly, none of them last long. Priest Holmes had a neck injury, Larry Johnson was run into the ground after only a few years, Jamaal Charles didn't have the build to maintain his greatness, and now Kareem Hunt with his off the field. All four of them (except Hunt at this point) had HOF ability.
MJW

Postby ComingThisFall » Sat May 04, 2019 6:47 am

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:Jamaal Charles finishes with the highest YPC in a career among RBs. Way to go. And he did it during a time when the chiefs OL was in a slump, imagine if he had that early 2000s OL. At the end of the day poor guy was just too fast for his body.

The Chiefs have had some of the best running backs of their era, but oddly, none of them last long. Priest Holmes had a neck injury, Larry Johnson was run into the ground after only a few years, Jamaal Charles didn't have the build to maintain his greatness, and now Kareem Hunt with his off the field. All four of them (except Hunt at this point) had HOF ability.

Remember when Priest Holmes and that other guy each scored 4 TDS on the Falcons back in the day? Good times
ComingThisFall

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat May 04, 2019 7:11 am

MJW wrote:

And not one championship with all of that HOF talent. The Chiefs are a feather in the cap of “don’t draft a RB high” guy.
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Sat May 04, 2019 8:42 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
MJW wrote:

And not one championship with all of that HOF talent. The Chiefs are a feather in the cap of “don’t draft a RB high” guy.

+1
MJW

Postby Nano » Thu May 09, 2019 2:41 pm

Jags LB Telvin Smith will not play in 2019.

He's not seriously hurt... he's just taking a year off. A year long mental health Vacation
Nano

Postby GrownishBF » Thu May 09, 2019 2:46 pm

Nano wrote:Jags LB Telvin Smith will not play in 2019.

He's not seriously hurt... he's just taking a year off. A year long mental health Vacation

That's gonna be a pretty expensive vacation. That being said though his peace of mind and sanity mean a lot to him than it does the organization or fans. Good for him for taking time out for himself.
GrownishBF

Postby MJW » Fri May 10, 2019 4:40 am

GrownishBF wrote:

That's gonna be a pretty expensive vacation. That being said though his peace of mind and sanity mean a lot to him than it does the organization or fans. Good for him for taking time out for himself.

Agreed. Provided he's ready to take the guaranteed money haircut, good on him. I know there are lots of times in my life that I would have taken a mental health break if I could have afforded it. I'm sure many (most?) people feel the same. He can, so Mazel Tov.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:10 am

Might look into not for long.
mdb1958

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri May 10, 2019 2:10 pm

That’s pretty damn amazing. He will take heat for it, but good on him.
PrimeMinister

Postby DreadNaught » Fri May 10, 2019 2:28 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:

I hope he gets right and can return to the field. It seems his priorities are good and his statement was spot on. I just didn't like that he reportedly didn't talk with his coaches or GM before posting this on social media. Not that he was required to do so by any means, but it would've been the more professional and mature action to take. Maybe he didn't want to be talked out of anything by the Jags brass, but a statement or any kind of heads up would've been better then just announcing it.
DreadNaught

Postby GrownishBF » Fri May 10, 2019 2:46 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

I hope he gets right and can return to the field. It seems his priorities are good and his statement was spot on. I just didn't like that he reportedly didn't talk with his coaches or GM before posting this on social media. Not that he was required to do so by any means, but it would've been the more professional and mature action to take. Maybe he didn't want to be talked out of anything by the Jags brass, but a statement or any kind of heads up would've been better then just announcing it.

I think that's exactly the reason he went the route that he went. He probably felt the organization would've tried to talk him out of it and based off of what he's going through that could be exactly what he didn't need at this point in his life. It is refreshing that the team is 100% supportive of his decision and isn't pressuring him to reach out to them.
GrownishBF

Postby Snake » Fri May 10, 2019 3:42 pm

He has every right to sit out. Sucks for the team from a roster construction stand point but he won’t be paid.

Curious if he’ll have to pay a prorated portion of his signing bonus + any roster bonuses
Snake

Postby MJW » Mon May 13, 2019 9:50 am

RIP Gunther Cunningham, one of the great defensive coaches of his era.
MJW

Postby terrytate » Mon May 13, 2019 10:26 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
MJW wrote:

Truth. And generally speaking, they didn't. Only Johnson was a high pick, the rest were third rounders or in the case of Holmes, an UFA.
terrytate

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon May 13, 2019 10:40 pm

terrytate wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Truth. And generally speaking, they didn't. Only Johnson was a high pick, the rest were third rounders or in the case of Holmes, an UFA.

That’s even more of an argument against drafting RBs. Good point.
PrimeMinister

Postby Buc2 » Tue May 14, 2019 3:15 pm

Antonio Brown scores his first points as a Raider...

...as part of a negotiated agreement between Mr. Brown and the district attorney’s office, the new member of the Oakland Raiders agreed to plead guilty to driving at unsafe speeds, said his attorney, James Hankle.

Had the reckless driving conviction stood, the attorney said, Mr. Brown would have had his driver’s license suspended. Instead, he will now pay a fine and get two points on his driving record.

“There was no accident in this case, and he agrees he needs to be more safe driving,” Mr. Hankle said.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue May 14, 2019 3:20 pm

LOVE that headline.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Snake » Tue May 14, 2019 4:15 pm

[Rich Eisen Show] Josh Rosen tells us he got a call from Kliff Kingsbury one minute before the Cardinals drafted Kyler Murray saying they were drafting the Heisman Trophy winner. Said it went like this from KK: "Hey, so we're about to draft Kyler... I don't really know what happens now."

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/b ... ot_a_call/

NEXT SEAN MCVEIGHH ladies and gents

I know people can argue the Game Theory aspect to how they handled this, but it was the worst kept secret and everyone knew they were drafting Kyler. Very unprofessional.
Snake

Postby MJW » Tue May 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Snake wrote:
[Rich Eisen Show] Josh Rosen tells us he got a call from Kliff Kingsbury one minute before the Cardinals drafted Kyler Murray saying they were drafting the Heisman Trophy winner. Said it went like this from KK: "Hey, so we're about to draft Kyler... I don't really know what happens now."

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/b ... ot_a_call/

NEXT SEAN MCVEIGHH ladies and gents

I know people can argue the Game Theory aspect to how they handled this, but it was the worst kept secret and everyone knew they were drafting Kyler. Very unprofessional.

I can't point this out enough - Kingsbury couldn't win in the Big 12 with Patrick Mahomes as his quarterback. And once he was fired, he couldn't find a job as an NFL coordinator. And now he's a Head Coach. It's not a perfect comp to Raheem, but it's as close as I think we'll see.

Anyway, the offense should be fun to watch. They actually have a lot of the pieces for a good run and shoot - mobile QB, a few slippery underneath receivers, etc.
MJW

Postby Naismith » Tue May 14, 2019 6:45 pm

MJW wrote:And once he was fired, he couldn't find a job as an NFL coordinator.

This just isn't true. There was heavy interest in KK for OC jobs.
Naismith

Postby MJW » Tue May 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Naismith wrote:
MJW wrote:And once he was fired, he couldn't find a job as an NFL coordinator.

According to who, his agent? I think if that was true, he would have taken said position.
MJW

Postby Naismith » Tue May 14, 2019 7:24 pm

MJW wrote:
Naismith wrote:

According to who, his agent? I think if that was true, he would have taken said position.

According to every NFL insider reporting on it at the time. He decided to take the USC job in early December, before the NFL season ended. Just google it and you'll see. I believe I read that he was only interested in NFL interviews for a HC job, but unlike the first part of this statement, I'm only mostly certain I'm correct about that part.
Naismith

Postby Nano » Wed May 15, 2019 1:39 pm

Jets fire GM Mike Maccagnan and give the interim GM title to Adam Gase. Fun to note, right after it, a report came out about how much Gase was against the Bell signing. Lol
Nano

Postby Konatown » Wed May 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Nano wrote:Jets fire GM Mike Maccagnan and give the interim GM title to Adam Gase. Fun to note, right after it, a report came out about how much Gase was against the Bell signing. Lol

Also read he didn’t want to pay more than 13mil per year for CJ Mosely. Great way to welcome your biggest FA additions

Konatown

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed May 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Nano wrote:Jets fire GM Mike Maccagnan and give the interim GM title to Adam Gase. Fun to note, right after it, a report came out about how much Gase was against the Bell signing. Lol

I would be against signing a cancer like Bell too
Jason Bourne

Postby PetePierson » Thu May 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Patrick Peterson on the shelf for 6 games... Roids are Delish.
PetePierson

Postby real bucs fan » Thu May 16, 2019 1:42 pm

PetePierson wrote:Patrick Peterson on the shelf for 6 games... Roids are Delish.

Unfortunately we don’t play them until Week 10. #SayTheCatchPhraseForMe
real bucs fan

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions