I wish the Bucs will cut Winston or trade him

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: I wish the Bucs will cut Winston or trade him

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:19 am

Dont take this the wrong way Sanka. But you seem like a young white dude skater who turned goth and your stuck in that groove while your trying to figure out who you are. Now your you will be approaching thirty as a goth skater.
mdb1958

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:06 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Dont take this the wrong way Sanka. But you seem like a young white dude skater who turned goth and your stuck in that groove while your trying to figure out who you are. Now your you will be approaching thirty as a goth skater.

You forgot his Jameis Winston posters all over his bedroom walls
Jason Bourne

Postby Super K » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Dont take this the wrong way Sanka. But you seem like a young white dude skater who turned goth and your stuck in that groove while your trying to figure out who you are. Now your you will be approaching thirty as a goth skater.

You forgot his Jameis Winston posters all over his bedroom walls

Wait, that's weird and not cool?

FML
Super K

Postby Nano » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:38 pm

Hey, I put all my posters on the ceiling in the hopes that they fall on me at night
Nano

Postby Caradoc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Kevin Spacey posters don't count
Caradoc

Postby Super K » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 pm

Ha!
Super K

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:54 pm

Super K wrote:Ha!
Jason Bourne

Postby Rocker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:09 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Super K wrote:Ha!
Rocker

Postby MJW » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:39 pm

I wish the Buczone will cut Sanka or trade him.
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:25 am

MJW wrote:I wish the Buczone will cut Sanka or trade him.

I'm afraid we'll have to wait for Winston to be cut or traded for that to happen.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:51 am

NavyBuc wrote:Honestly, I don't even care if he admits guilt. Just admit you've made some mistakes and you're going to change your ways and become a better person. Don't brag about your accomplishments and have people wear "Jameis vs. the world t-shirts" on your behalf.

Very common, it's not him but it's "the world" that is out to get him and the cause for his troubles.

I don't feel the need for him to confess publicly but I hope he's being brutally honest with himself, it's time.

Without personal accountability nothing ever changes.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Super K » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:01 am

Patrick McIrish wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:Honestly, I don't even care if he admits guilt. Just admit you've made some mistakes and you're going to change your ways and become a better person. Don't brag about your accomplishments and have people wear "Jameis vs. the world t-shirts" on your behalf.

Very common, it's not him but it's "the world" that is out to get him and the cause for his troubles.

I don't feel the need for him to confess publicly but I hope he's being brutally honest with himself, it's time.

Without personal accountability nothing ever changes.

I take it you 2 missed his apology while searching for your pitchforks and gasoline....
Super K

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:01 am

sanka wrote:And they all made the playoffs. Mariota was all hyped, they needed the ratings for the draft so they try to compare him and Winston.

To date not much of a comparison.....

Met once in college, the Rose Bowl, Mariota won decisively.

At the compound even the Winston posse was seen laughing at how convincingly he demolished him in the 40.

Met in the NFL for the first time, Mariota won.

The race to make the playoffs, Mariota won.

The race for first playoff win, Mariota won. And did so in historic fashion.

The goal of being a good citizen on and off the field, Mariota won.

Not making a case for drafting Mariota, didn't want him then, don't want him now.....

But to date Winston has done absolutely nothing to justify the huge cost we paid as a franchise to gamble on him.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:03 am

Super K wrote:I take it you 2 missed his apology while searching for your pitchforks and gasoline....

I just read from the Winston apologists crew (WAC) he has never admitted guilt....

Which is it?
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:12 am

Onthebrink wrote:Pete Pierson. You don't exactly know how TEAM sports work. Let's look at baseball for an example. For many,many years people thought wins for a starting pitcher was a very important stat. Hard to get wins if your team gets terrible run support. You can easily win games that were quality starts. Blaming the majority of the Bucs problems on a single player is either myopic, disingenuous or just straight idiocy.

Interesting since this is the argument I used in hopes of trading down and accepting offers of several 1st and 2nd round selections instead of just one player.

On this board it was near unanimous that you drafted the "franchise QB" when you got the chance, those 1st overall opportunities don't come along often.

I was told Winston alone would be our savior, several veteran posters here assured me within 2 years not only the post-season but a deep run once we got there.

I won't even mention my concerns on his off the field behavior and all the posters here who bought into all the crap from both Winston and the front office.

Now, year four, his defenders are forced to submit the argument that one player has limited responsibilities on a team with so many players.....

Welcome to what I've been saying all along! Unfortunately too late to have done us any good.......

We could have turned this franchise around with that opportunity, just as Mr McKay did once trading down in the 1st round, instead we're the laughingstock of the NFL, again.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Super K » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:16 am

Yep...should've traded down and grabbed extra picks...

Essentially following the tried and true draft strategy Cleveland used over the last decade...

Until THIS year, of course, when they FINALLY realized that "you HAVE to have a QB"....
Super K

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:19 am

BTW I still root for the kid, not his fault we took him first overall. And as long as we wear our colors I will continue to root for him, on and off the field.

Very hard not to be bitter though as a life long fan when you see all the fans and the organization make a mistake like this. That don't come any more obvious.

It's happened just as I feared, just as I posted page after page after page after page about before the draft. I knew when 99% of you agreed I would end up being right,

Okay, no since crying about spilled milk, we move on....
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:21 am

Super K wrote:Yep...should've traded down and grabbed extra picks...

Essentially following the tried and true draft strategy Cleveland used over the last decade...

Until THIS year, of course, when they FINALLY realized that "you HAVE to have a QB"....

Interesting choice, Cleveland. You do realize in the last 20 years or so no one else in football has used more first round picks on QB's than the Browns?

Rhetorical question, of you course you had no idea or you'd have picked another argument to justify your ignorance.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:23 am

Amazing... even AFTER we can see how a situation turns out we aren't capable of seeing that we made a mistake, LOL.

Only in Bucville do we fail a Monday morning QB test. :lol: :lol:
Patrick McIrish

Postby Super K » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:32 am

Feel free to share your example, and what team, employed the stupid ass idea...

It's ok, we'll wait...
Super K

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:02 am

What idea are you talking about? WTF happened to you, hopefully you are pandering to some PMI haters or something and not really this stupid.

Do you realize you offered up Cleveland as a testament to us doing the right things with Winston? :shock:

Unless I've missed something they've been among the most hopeless organizations in the NFL of late!!?? That's like bringing Kenda to a hot babe contest.

Last year when bombarded by the all the casuals how critical a 1st round QB was to winning, even being shown charts of SB winners and when their QB's were drafted....

I did some quick research over last 20 years or so..... teams that rountinely drafted first round QB's were the least successful, top two were Cleveland and the Jets.

Teams of late that rarely draft QB's in the first round, Patriots for one.

Of course Brady skews the results there but not from teams that don't know how to win, they keep doing the same thing over and over hoping for better results.

Look, every situation is unique. There is a time when keeping your first overall is the right move. We just were not in that spot.....

Even now with massive upgrades all over the field it's going to be a challenge to make the playoffs this season, we haven't done it yet inn the Winston era.

In short, we were FAR FAR away from a QB being enough to challenge the best teams. We needed help all over the field.....

Hence my suggestion we take a number of 1st and 2nd round players that were being offered instead of laying it all on the shoulders of one man.

Like most casuals organizations often think overpaying for a first overall QB is the right move too, thus you get paid very well to move down.

Along with success that is hoped for, it's a good marketing move to ST holders and other fans to bring in a big named QB from college. And for a GM it's safe.

No one blames you (other than me) if your first overall QB fails. But if you trade down for unknown OL/DL and fail? They scream for your job, you take a lot of heat.

You would think in Tampa we would grasp that more than anyone since our only hardware is with a 7th round QB at the helm. And we saw Dilfer leave and win a Lombardi.

There are different approaches, some teams place more or less relevance on their QB but end of the day he's one man on an extended roster.

If you or anyone else thinks that given where we are that we did the right thing you probably shouldn't post on a football board, just saying.

Time for my morning work-out, carry on.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:10 am

Super K wrote:Feel free to share your example, and what team, employed the stupid ass idea...

It's ok, we'll wait...

Oh, as for us, you're asking for an example of us trading down successfully? Well let me think, oh, I got one!

In a period of prolonged unrelevance Mr McKay traded down in the 1st round and got back 2 draft picks....

He then selected Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks. Two HOF'ers.

From that point on you know the rest of the story (if not ask your husband).

Takes ball to trade down, if Winston or whatever first overall QB you pass on lights up the NFL you are going to hear about it. Might cost you your job.

Thus GM's stick to the safe play more times than not. Casuals are happy, you are safe as a GM even if it doesn't pan out.

Beer's cold...err.. I mean the weight room is open. We move on. :oops:
Patrick McIrish

Postby acmillis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:11 am

Patrick McIrish wrote:What idea are you talking about? WTF happened to you, hopefully you are pandering to some PMI haters or something and not really this stupid.

Do you realize you offered up Cleveland as a testament to us doing the right things with Winston? :shock:

Unless I've missed something they've been among the most hopeless organizations in the NFL of late!!?? That's like bringing Kenda to a hot babe contest.

Last year when bombarded by the all the casuals how critical a 1st round QB was to winning, even being shown charts of SB winners and when their QB's were drafted....

I did some quick research over last 20 years or so..... teams that rountinely drafted first round QB's were the least successful, top two were Cleveland and the Jets.

Teams of late that rarely draft QB's in the first round, Patriots for one.

Of course Brady skews the results there but not from teams that don't know how to win, they keep doing the same thing over and over hoping for better results.

Look, every situation is unique. There is a time when keeping your first overall is the right move. We just were not in that spot.....

Even now with massive upgrades all over the field it's going to be a challenge to make the playoffs this season, we haven't done it yet inn the Winston era.

In short, we were FAR FAR away from a QB being enough to challenge the best teams. We needed help all over the field.....

Hence my suggestion we take a number of 1st and 2nd round players that were being offered instead of laying it all on the shoulders of one man.

Like most casuals organizations often think overpaying for a first overall QB is the right move too, thus you get paid very well to move down.

Along with success that is hoped for, it's a good marketing move to ST holders and other fans to bring in a big named QB from college. And for a GM it's safe.

No one blames you (other than me) if your first overall QB fails. But if you trade down for unknown OL/DL and fail? They scream for your job, you take a lot of heat.

You would think in Tampa we would grasp that more than anyone since our only hardware is with a 7th round QB at the helm. And we saw Dilfer leave and win a Lombardi.

There are different approaches, some teams place more or less relevance on their QB but end of the day he's one man on an extended roster.

If you or anyone else thinks that given where we are that we did the right thing you probably shouldn't post on a football board, just saying.

Time for my morning work-out, carry on.

What is your point here? Only 9 teams in the entire league will have have a qb starting for them in 2018-2019 who was not selected in the 1st round.
Are you saying those teams are doing it right because they didn't draft qb's in the first round?
acmillis

Postby Super K » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:44 am

PMI, the smart move was for us to draft a QB...whether JW or MM...

If you wanna argue that we chose the wrong one, have at it...

But not selecting a QB, when you need a QB is asinine....

You may disagree with that (don't know why you would) and that's fine, but don't act like you disagree with it based on evidence of that train of thought working, because there is none...
Super K

Postby GottaJaboo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:11 am

Mariota is a complete joke. I am starting to hear rumblings of them turning the page on him. Mularkey is quietly letting people know that Mariota is at his ceiling. Dude had more INTs than TDs last season. I think he's the only starting QB in the league with that stat and they play safety ball in Tennessee. Lolz at anyone still lauding this guy. He's a steaming pile of garbage. Meek like a wilted flower.
GottaJaboo

Postby Nano » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Super K wrote:PMI, the smart move was for us to draft a QB...whether JW or MM...

You may disagree with that (don't know why you would) and that's fine, but don't act like you disagree with it based on evidence of that train of thought working, because there is none...

Coming off the season we just had in 2014 with Glennon and McCown, not taking a QB would've effectively been job suicide for Licht/Lovie. Even with the extra players, we're likely a 2-4 win team again. Guess we might get lucky and be picking high enough to get Wentz or Goff, but PMI would probably trade down there too.
Nano

Postby acacius » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:25 pm

So far as the Browns go, I feel it's important to note *where* in the first round they drafted quarterbacks. Prior to taking Mayfield, you have to go all the way back to Couch to find a QB they drafted higher than 1-22. Sure, they spend quite a few 1-22s on quarterbacks (Manziel, Wheeden, and Quinn were *all* selected 22nd overall), but they were definitely taking a quantity over quality approach. Especially once you factor in the 2nd and 3rd round picks they spent on the position. For me, at least, the takeaway from their lack of success if more that quarterback is a poor position to go the "buy a bunch of lottery tickets and hope one pans out" strategy.
acacius

Postby Buc2 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Nano wrote:
Super K wrote:PMI, the smart move was for us to draft a QB...whether JW or MM...

Coming off the season we just had in 2014 with Glennon and McCown, not taking a QB would've effectively been job suicide for Licht/Lovie. Even with the extra players, we're likely a 2-4 win team again. Guess we might get lucky and be picking high enough to get Wentz or Goff, but PMI would probably trade down there too.

Don't be silly. His stance, as well as mine, MJW's and a few others here was to trade down for extra picks to try and rebuild the trenches while sticking with a more than serviceable Glennon in the interim. Then, in a year or two, take that highly rated QB in the draft and prepare to watch the team compete in playoff runs over the next few seasons.

Instead, here we are, entering year 4 with that #1 overall draft pick and haven't even sniffed the playoffs.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby acmillis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:41 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Nano wrote:Coming off the season we just had in 2014 with Glennon and McCown, not taking a QB would've effectively been job suicide for Licht/Lovie. Even with the extra players, we're likely a 2-4 win team again. Guess we might get lucky and be picking high enough to get Wentz or Goff, but PMI would probably trade down there too.

Don't be silly. His stance, as well as mine, MJW's and a few others here was to trade down for extra picks to try and rebuild the trenches while sticking with a more than serviceable Glennon in the interim. Then, in a year or two, take that highly rated QB in the draft and prepare to watch the team compete in playoff runs over the next few seasons.

Instead, here we are, entering year 4 with that #1 overall draft pick and haven't even sniffed the playoffs.

But with our draft history, what makes you think those multiple picks over Winston would have panned out?
acmillis

Postby Super K » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Nano wrote:Coming off the season we just had in 2014 with Glennon and McCown, not taking a QB would've effectively been job suicide for Licht/Lovie. Even with the extra players, we're likely a 2-4 win team again. Guess we might get lucky and be picking high enough to get Wentz or Goff, but PMI would probably trade down there too.

You're much less insane than PMI so we can discuss this a lil better...

But what team has utilized this strategy and been successful with it in today's NFL?..

Goff is a good talking point....the Rams basically raped Washington for the RG3 trade, playing right into your scheme, but didn't hesitate, under new leadership, to select a QB when in the same position 5 years later...

You take the QB..always take the QB...
Super K

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions