***OFFICIAL 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***OFFICIAL 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby mdb1958 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Is childlike cool?
mdb1958

Postby SIBucsFan » Tue May 15, 2018 8:07 am

As far as I know HMFJ is still with the Bears as an EDGE.
SIBucsFan

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue May 15, 2018 8:34 am

mdb1958 wrote:Howard Jones is available.

Is he related to Howard Mother ****ing Jones?
PrimeMinister

Postby BucaRican » Tue May 15, 2018 10:06 am

AP is also available, but we settled for Charles Sims
BucaRican

Postby Teitan » Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 am

BucaRican wrote:AP is also available, but we settled for Charles Sims

Coming off that rushing title AP had last year we probably couldn’t afford him.

Oh wait..
Teitan

Postby Mex-Buc » Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 am

Quick update, no Bucs player has made the NFL Top 100 Players List yet, the list is at #61 as of yesterday.

McCoy for sure will make it, maybe Evans too, but other than that I don't think anyone else will.
Mex-Buc

Postby reagan SMASH » Tue May 15, 2018 11:04 am

BucaRican wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
This.

Photos like this are beautiful and have been around for years. No issue with them at all. Mrs PM wants to do the same when she is pregnant.

I love the comments of "I wouldn't let my wife do it" "I don't care what the reason, you don't do this." "Jameis is one dumb motherfucker." "As a married man, no way in hell is my wife/girlfriend/mother of my child going to be put out on social media like this.". It's the whole "I am the dictator of my women, she does as I say" mentality. You guys carry a child for 9 months and try to feel and look great without being depressed. "Hey women, don't take that picture!" "Hey Women, don't post hat picture"....

I think group discussion has moved on, but just wanted to say I totally agree with both of you. I didn't do pregnancy pics because that's not my style at all, but know lots of people who have. This isn't out of the ordinary or classless at all. I actually think it's a great picture.

Back to your normally scheduled football discussion.
reagan SMASH

Postby DreadNaught » Tue May 15, 2018 11:48 am

BucaRican wrote:AP is also available, but we settled for Charles Sims

He needs to retire. I know he looked great vs the Bucs shitty run defense, but he's not the same runner.

I advocated for AP 2-3 years ago but that ship has sailed. Do not want.
DreadNaught

Postby deltbucs » Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
As a married man, no way in hell is my wife/girlfriend/mother of my child going to be put out on social media like this. This is very tasteless and the look on her face says she's not at all pleased with this photo shoot. It's a shame the lengths young females will go in order to secure their own future with a star athlete.

Agreed.

How have you people never seen maternity photos before? I have lots of friends who go pictures like this done professionally and the mother posted the pics on social media. The mothers are usually the ones who want the pictures taken and post them. I'm guessing that was the case with Jamies, too.
deltbucs

Postby Bucs N Beers » Wed May 16, 2018 11:19 am

deltbucs wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:Agreed.

How have you people never seen maternity photos before? I have lots of friends who go pictures like this done professionally and the mother posted the pics on social media. The mothers are usually the ones who want the pictures taken and post them. I'm guessing that was the case with Jamies, too.

Agreed. She's wearing more clothes than if she was in a bikini. I think people's initial reaction was possibly that her bottom half was naked, which would be a different story. If her underwear was red to match the shirt, there probably wouldn't have been any negative to this.

Don't think there is anything tasteless about it at all.
Bucs N Beers

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:32 am

We still will be playing our DBs in off coverage.

"The way I learned DB in college initially was I played on and off, so I played press and off, and then my last two years I played a lot of press-man," Davis explained. "So, just coming here, it takes time to just getting back to playing off and get comfortable with it. So, it wasn't a huge step for me, but I guess I am back acclimated with it and I am comfortable now."

"My whole career at Carolina, we played press all the time. It's a learning curve. But I'm getting there slowly but surely," Stewart said.

"You've just got to be able to read their stem and when bringing cushion, you've gotta know when to open your hips up."

Why did the Bucs draft Davis and Stewart, who excel at pressing, to play a more passive game and do something entirely different than what they did in college? The thought process is that it's easier to draft players who play press coverage -- which is generally considered more difficult -- and teach them to play off coverage than it is the other way around.
Bootz2004

Postby acmillis » Wed May 16, 2018 11:41 am

Bootz2004 wrote:We still will be playing our DBs in off coverage. SOMETIMES

"The way I learned DB in college initially was I played on and off, so I played press and off, and then my last two years I played a lot of press-man," Davis explained. "So, just coming here, it takes time to just getting back to playing off and get comfortable with it. So, it wasn't a huge step for me, but I guess I am back acclimated with it and I am comfortable now."

"My whole career at Carolina, we played press all the time. It's a learning curve. But I'm getting there slowly but surely," Stewart said.

"You've just got to be able to read their stem and when bringing cushion, you've gotta know when to open your hips up."

Why did the Bucs draft Davis and Stewart, who excel at pressing, to play a more passive game and do something entirely different than what they did in college? The thought process is that it's easier to draft players who play press coverage -- which is generally considered more difficult -- and teach them to play off coverage than it is the other way around.

If you read the quotes, both say that they either exclusively played press or that they played press most of the time.

It's also tough to gauge these quotes without knowing exactly what the question was.
acmillis

Postby Konatown » Wed May 16, 2018 11:51 am

Ronald Jones will wear #27, not 22
Konatown

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:03 pm

acmillis wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:We still will be playing our DBs in off coverage. SOMETIMES

If you read the quotes, both say that they either exclusively played press or that they played press most of the time.

It's also tough to gauge these quotes without knowing exactly what the question was.

Yes in college. But here they both state clearly that they are adjusting to playing off most of the time. How are you confused?

Here's the article.

http://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-bucc ... s-coverage
Bootz2004

Postby acmillis » Wed May 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
acmillis wrote:

Yes in college. But here they both state clearly that they are adjusting to playing off most of the time. How are you confused?

Here's the article.

I read this as they are being taught how to play off coverage. It seems you're jumping to the conclusion that because we're teaching our rookies something that they have either never learned, or learned but barely played, then we are going to run that coverage exclusively.

That would be like me seeing a TE line up in the backfield and thinking...but he was a pass catching tight end in college, why are we only going to use him as a blocker?!?!?111eleventyone!!?

Edit: there's also this quote which you did not include, "Getting physical at the line of scrimmage to disrupt the timing of bigger receivers such as Watson is what Davis came to be known for in three years at Auburn and is a big reason the Bucs selected him No. 63 overall in last month's NFL draft."
acmillis

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:10 pm

acmillis wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Here's the article.

I read this as they are being taught how to play off coverage. It seems you're jumping to the conclusion that because we're teaching our rookies something that they have either never learned, or learned but barely played, then we are going to run that coverage exclusively.

That would be like me seeing a TE line up in the backfield and thinking...but he was a pass catching tight end in college, why are we only going to use him as a blocker?!?!?111eleventyone!!?

Edit: there's also this quote which you did not include, "Getting physical at the line of scrimmage to disrupt the timing of bigger receivers such as Watson is what Davis came to be known for in three years at Auburn and is a big reason the Bucs selected him No. 63 overall in last month's NFL draft."

Wrong. Show me where I said they planned to run ANY coverage exclusively then we can continue. I'll wait.
Bootz2004

Postby acmillis » Wed May 16, 2018 3:21 pm

What was the point of your original post then, I'm genuinely not sure based on your response?
acmillis

Postby Cheb » Wed May 16, 2018 3:33 pm

acmillis wrote:What was the point of your original post then, I'm genuinely not sure based on your response?

His point is to argue.

I agree with you. We are giving the rookies a broad education in the offseason. This is no cause for concern.
Cheb

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:41 pm

acmillis wrote:What was the point of your original post then, I'm genuinely not sure based on your response?

My point was to highlight the direction we were going. Many speculated that we'd move to being a primarily press man defense however that's clearly not the case. We may play a bit more press man than Mike Smith usually does however despite the skills set of the DBs we drafted we are teaching them to play off as we are still an Off coverage defense.

You and fake GM Cheb believe the point was to argue, well it goes to show how small you think and your inability to comprehend information. It's not my problem. If arguing was what you didn't want to do you wpuld ve addressed the article with your opinion yet you chose to go after me. Given how little you know it really isn't a surprise honestly.
Bootz2004

Postby acmillis » Wed May 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

My point was to highlight the direction we were going. Many speculated that we'd move to being a primarily press man defense however that's clearly not the case. We may play a bit more press man than Mike Smith usually does however despite the skills set of the DBs we drafted we are teaching them to play off as we are still an Off coverage defense.

You and fake GM Cheb believe the point was to argue, well it goes to show how small you think and your inability to comprehend information. It's not my problem. If arguing was what you didn't want to do you wpuld ve addressed the article with your opinion yet you chose to go after me. Given how little you know it really isn't a surprise honestly.

So you're making your decisions on our coverage choices based on one day of mini camp...seems legit.

acmillis

Postby theBKwhopper » Wed May 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Mike Smith stated clearly today that the coaches would adjust to Stewart's and Davis' strengths. Whether that's true or not, we'll find out.
theBKwhopper

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed May 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Caradoc posted this in the Eric Reid thread, but I thought it fit here as well.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/four- ... fc-south-0

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Biggest Need: Safety
The problems in the Buccaneers secondary last season were so deep and widespread that it would be grossly optimistic to expect them to be solved with a single draft, absent a game-changing talent at cornerback. The Buccaneers spread several Day 2 and Day 3 picks across both cornerback and safety, hoping that enough slightly upgraded parts will combine to make a substantially better whole. Safety is still the weakest of those positions: Keith Tandy and Chris Conte will probably open the season as the second and third safeties on the team, with draftee Jordan Whitehead easing into the rotation unless he excels quickly. Last season's safety draftee, Justin Evans, was in the starting lineup by Week 5 and started 11 straight games; the weaknesses of the veteran incumbents give Whitehead every opportunity to follow in those footsteps.

Notable Undrafted Free Agents:
If the Buccaneers were to finally move on from Conte and/or Tandy this season, strong safety Godwin Igwebuike (Northwestern) would likely be a big part of the reason why. A powerful downhill run-stuffer with the ability to operate effectively in man coverage, Ogwebuike is widely considered one of the steals of this year's undrafted class. He has a real chance to not only make the roster but earn significant playing time on defense. The rest of the class has very little promise: the team signed three tight ends and three defensive linemen, but those are the two deepest positions on the roster. Quarterback Austin Allen (Arkansas) is unlikely to last much beyond training camp; neither is kicker Trevor Moore (North Texas). Receiver Sergio Bailey (Eastern Michigan) and halfback Shaun Wilson (Duke) may compete for kick return duties, but they will need to supplement that with value elsewhere to earn a spot on the final roster.
PrimeMinister

Postby Nano » Wed May 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Trevor Sikkema @TampaBayTre
If I’m reading between the lines, sounds like CB Vernon Hargreaves is going to start training camp as the starting outside corner and then the starting nickel player when they go to sub-packages. The outside CB spot in base defense is his to lose right now.
Nano

Postby Super K » Wed May 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Nano wrote:
If I’m reading between the lines, sounds like CB Vernon Hargreaves is going to start training camp as the starting outside corner and then the starting nickel player when they go to sub-packages. The outside CB spot in base defense is his to lose right now.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Super K

Postby Cheb » Wed May 16, 2018 5:36 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

We drafted corners whose strength is press man coverage, that's true. And we are utilizing them as such. Just look at the article you posted. What technique was Carlton Davis using in the very first paragraph, describing his technique during a coverage rep in rookie minicamp? Press man.

Our rookies are talented press man corners, but they need to be comfortable in off-man coverage and with multiple zone concepts as well. This is so those concepts feel familiar and comfortable when they are called in a game. The time to rep that familiarity is from day one, in the offseason, where you can correct mistakes in technique and judgement. This is basic coaching. Indeed, it's pretty fundamental in every profession to show a new hiree the full scope of their job early on.

One could also view this as a shoring up of their weaknesses. We know that Davis and Stewart can press. As they said in the article, they have years of film doing it. They need to work on other alignments, ones less natural to them, to make them more well rounded football players. But I digress.

Professional corners need to be comfortable with all coverage concepts, even if they play some more predominantly than others. Every player needs to know how to execute every aspect of the playbook for which he is responsible. Even if we transitioned to running press man coverage 80% of the time (a huge leap), repping off-man for our corners would be like Vea repping a short zone drop or LVD practicing his pass rush or the whole defense practicing their prevent. Not something you'd call every snap, but something you still rep it in practice so it isn't a clusterfuck on Sundays.

You are taking one offseason data point and running with it. It's overreacting.
Last edited by Cheb on Wed May 16, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheb

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed May 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Cheb hit the nail on the head with “all coverage concepts “
Mike smith wants versatility and deception that’s why you will see all kinds defense alignments
Last edited by Jason Bourne on Wed May 16, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Bourne

Postby Cheb » Wed May 16, 2018 5:46 pm

Nano wrote:

I think that's fair. Behind Grimes, he was clearly the second best corner on our team before the draft, even though he has had his share of disappointments.

What did people expect? Ryan Smith to be named the starter over Hargreaves? One of the rookies being penciled in over both of them, even though they have never played a NFL snap?

I have no problem with VH3 being the second starting corner when training camp starts. I'd be a bit surprised if he's still the starter when it ends, but if he wins that competition more power to him.
Cheb

Postby Super K » Wed May 16, 2018 5:59 pm

VH3 being called the "2nd best corner" on the team (prior to the draft) just means he sucked a little less than the others..and even that is purely subjective..

If you don't even think he can hold the job down by camp's end, then why name him the guy?...call it an open competition and let him feel the heat (as he should)..

If his ego can't take that, or he can't get over that mentally, then he's not built to be a CB anyway..
Super K

Postby Cheb » Wed May 16, 2018 6:23 pm

Super K wrote:VH3 being called the "2nd best corner" on the team (prior to the draft) just means he sucked a little less than the others..and even that is purely subjective..

If you don't even think he can hold the job down by camp's end, then why name him the guy?...call it an open competition and let him feel the heat (as he should)..

If his ego can't take that, or he can't get over that mentally, then he's not built to be a CB anyway..

I didn't name him the starter. Some dude in the media did. I agree with you, it should be an open competition.
Cheb

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:40 pm

Cheb wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

We drafted corners whose strength is press man coverage, that's true. And we are utilizing them as such. Just look at the article you posted. What technique was Carlton Davis using in the very first paragraph, describing his technique during a coverage rep in rookie minicamp? Press man.

Our rookies are talented press man corners, but they need to be comfortable in off-man coverage and with multiple zone concepts as well. This is so those concepts feel familiar and comfortable when they are called in a game. The time to rep that familiarity is from day one, in the offseason, where you can correct mistakes in technique and judgement. This is basic coaching. Indeed, it's pretty fundamental in every profession to show a new hiree the full scope of their job early on.

One could also view this as a shoring up of their weaknesses. We know that Davis and Stewart can press. As they said in the article, they have years of film doing it. They need to work on other alignments, ones less natural to them, to make them more well rounded football players. But I digress.

Professional corners need to be comfortable with all coverage concepts, even if they play some more predominantly than others. Every player needs to know how to execute every aspect of the playbook for which he is responsible. Even if we transitioned to running press man coverage 80% of the time (a huge leap), repping off-man for our corners would be like Vea repping a short zone drop or LVD practicing his pass rush or the whole defense practicing their prevent. Not something you'd call every snap, but something you still rep it in practice so it isn't a clusterfuck on Sundays.

You are taking one offseason data point and running with it. It's overreacting.

THAT'S MY POINT, GENIUS! WHAT ARE YOU NOT GETTING OR WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO DEBATE WITH ME WHEN WE'RE BASICALLY SAYING THE SAME THINGS?!!!

I honestly believe fools like you actually WANT me to turn everything into an argument. Why, I don't know. But you and Mills are pulling an argument out of your ass when you're only saying the same thing I am. Oh, well in Mills case putting words in my mouth.

My point with this article was more so pointed at those saying we'd move to becoming a press-man team. We aren't. Not even close. Smith never has been that guy and I doubt he'll change now.

Stop trying so badly to have a spat with me. It's embarrassing.
Bootz2004

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions