NFL Head Coach Changes : 2018

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
NFL Head Coach Changes : 2018

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:07 pm

I did not want to bump the hot seat and figured it was best to look at the new coaches for 2018.

Arizona : Steve Wilks [Panthers DC]
Chicago : Matt Nagy [KC OC]
Detriot: Matt Patricia [NE DC]
Indianapolis : Frank Reich [Philly OC]
New York Giants: Pat Shurmer [Viking OC]
Oakland : Jon Gruden [ESPN]
Tennessee : Mike Vrabel [Houston DC]

I know there are many coordinator changes, but didn't want to list them.
Crocaneers

Re: NFL Head Coach Changes : 2018

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:17 pm

No college coaches.
Bootz2004

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:No college coaches.

Great observation! I think the NFL finally learned their lesson. I dont know that you will see a "because he was a great college coach, he is therefor an NFL coach" trial again. They may go to the DC/ OC level, and see .. it's clearly a different world now.
Crocaneers

Postby Teitan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:26 pm

I didn’t realize Reich had spent a few years there as a coach. Surprised he wasn’t the front runner for the job all along as they have familiarity with him.

Indianapolis Colts (2008) - Offensive coaching staff assistant
Indianapolis Colts (2009–2010) - Quarterbacks coach
Indianapolis Colts (2011) - Wide receivers coach
Teitan

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:05 pm

Actually a great group of coaches all around. Very excited to see how they work out.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:13 pm

Crocaneers wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:No college coaches.

Great observation! I think the NFL finally learned their lesson. I dont know that you will see a "because he was a great college coach, he is therefor an NFL coach" trial again. They may go to the DC/ OC level, and see .. it's clearly a different world now.

Possibly, but possibly not. If David Shaw or Nick Saban had shown the slightest interest in jumping, that wouldn't have been the case. Possibly Urban Meyer and Brian Kelly also. It just seems like there's less reason than ever for top coaches to jump to the NFL.
MJW

Postby Cheb » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:20 pm

MJW wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:

Possibly, but possibly not. If David Shaw or Nick Saban had shown the slightest interest in jumping, that wouldn't have been the case. Possibly Urban Meyer and Brian Kelly also. It just seems like there's less reason than ever for top coaches to jump to the NFL.

Bingo.

Assuming that you run a clean program and live a clean life, a top tier college job has very little downside. The job security is the best in football. Schedule directional state universities as a warm-up, win the majority of your conference games, become bowl eligible, collect a top 25 recruiting class, then wash/rinse/repeat until you retire.
Cheb

Postby MJW » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Cheb wrote:
MJW wrote:

Bingo.

Assuming that you run a clean program and live a clean life, a top tier college job has very little downside. The job security is the best in football. Schedule directional state universities as a warm-up, win the majority of your conference games, become bowl eligible, collect a top 25 recruiting class, then wash/rinse/repeat until you retire.

Also, the money is a lot closer now than it used it be. The Huskers just gave Scott Frost 7/35 with the hope he can take us to the 3rd or 4th best team in the Big Ten. He'd be lucky to get much more than $5M APY as a first time NFL head coach, and no way he's getting 7 years.
MJW

Postby Deuce » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Doctor wrote:Actually a great group of coaches all around. Very excited to see how they work out.

I was thinking the same. No reaches from what I can see. No "Greg Schianos", if you will.
Deuce

Postby Caradoc » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Yeah, the college coach thing is probably more about college guys not wanting in than them not being wanted.
Caradoc

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:41 pm

MJW wrote:
Cheb wrote:
Bingo.

Also, the money is a lot closer now than it used it be. The Huskers just gave Scott Frost 7/35 with the hope he can take us to the 3rd or 4th best team in the Big Ten. He'd be lucky to get much more than $5M APY as a first time NFL head coach, and no way he's getting 7 years.

Both you and Cheb make a great point.

Let’s just assume you’re correct on the reason. What changes would be necessary to get top tier college coaches interested in the NFL again?
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:42 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
MJW wrote:

Let’s just assume you’re correct on the reason. What changes would be necessary to get top tier college coaches interested in the NFL again?

More money? That's all I got. If NFL coaching salaries get to the $12 Mil+ range, I think even a college coach making seven would have to listen.
MJW

Postby Caradoc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:56 am

MJW wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

More money? That's all I got. If NFL coaching salaries get to the $12 Mil+ range, I think even a college coach making seven would have to listen.

Gotta be more than money. There is such a huge change in job security that if you are making 7, have total security, making 12 but potentially relocating every 2-4 years isn’t all that appealing.
Caradoc

Postby Cheb » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:03 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
MJW wrote:

I would try to sell the coach on the positives of the pro game.

- No more recruitment
- No more nonsense with boosters
- You aren't dealing with teenagers; your players are adults. Presumably they act like professionals.
- You like a player on another team? If he isn't resigned, he can be on our team next year.
- Your players do not have an artificial shelf life, ie they can be on your team for longer than five years.
- More creative control. Able to institute more complex plays and schemes. Not having to dumb things down for your freshmen.
- Likewise, not having to cover your holes so much, because the talent disparity is much tighter.
- Challenging. You're playing with the best, against the best. That's satisfying to alot of people.
- Come on. You know the pro game is harder. You know you want to prove yourself against the best.
- Don't you want to win a Superbowl?
Cheb

Postby Caradoc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Cheb wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

- No more recruitment
- You aren't dealing with teenagers; your players are adults. Presumably they act like professionals.
- You like a player on another team? If he isn't resigned, he can be on our team next year.
- Your players do not have an artificial shelf life, ie they can be on your team for longer than five years.
- More creative control. Able to institute more complex plays and schemes. Not having to dumb things down for your freshmen.
- Likewise, not having to cover your holes so much, because the talent disparity is much tighter.
- Challenging. You're playing with the best, against the best. That's satisfying to alot of people.
- Come on. You know the pro game is harder. You know you want to prove yourself against the best.

Pretty much every point you made comes with at least one major caveat. And there are plenty of other downsides to the pros as well.
Caradoc

Postby Cheb » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:40 pm

Caradoc wrote:
Cheb wrote:

- No more recruitment

Pretty much every point you made comes with at least one major caveat. And there are plenty of other downsides to the pros as well.

No argument here.
Cheb

Postby Swashy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:06 pm

Pro coach all the way for me. I would loathe the recruitment process. You're essentially groveling to a child half your age to come play football for you because you've got alumni and boosters on your ass demanding a championship year around
Swashy

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:43 am

Besides money, the only real unimpeachable argument for a coach to go the NFL, IMHO, is that the NFL is the best of the best. Fair or unfair, being a great college coach will always be viewed like being a great TV star. The assumption will always be you couldn't headline a movie. I honestly think this is the main reason guys like Saban and Harbaugh went pro.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:25 pm

MJW wrote:Besides money, the only real unimpeachable argument for a coach to go the NFL, IMHO, is that the NFL is the best of the best. Fair or unfair, being a great college coach will always be viewed like being a great TV star. The assumption will always be you couldn't headline a movie. I honestly think this is the main reason guys like Saban and Harbaugh went pro.

Not wrong. By definition one is a professional league while the other is an amateur league.
Doctor

Postby Caradoc » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:18 pm

Swashy wrote:Pro coach all the way for me. I would loathe the recruitment process. You're essentially groveling to a child half your age to come play football for you because you've got alumni and boosters on your ass demanding a championship year around

Don't ever get a job in sales.
Caradoc

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:58 pm

Doctor wrote:
MJW wrote:Besides money, the only real unimpeachable argument for a coach to go the NFL, IMHO, is that the NFL is the best of the best. Fair or unfair, being a great college coach will always be viewed like being a great TV star. The assumption will always be you couldn't headline a movie. I honestly think this is the main reason guys like Saban and Harbaugh went pro.

Not wrong. By definition one is a professional league while the other is an amateur league.

I don't think it's wrong either, really. But I just don't know if it's enough to get most college coaches off their thrones in Tuscaloosa/Columbus/Palo Alto/wherever.

(I'm not sure Stanford is in Palo Alto, but I don't feel like looking it up)
MJW

Postby Caradoc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:15 pm

I think the leagues have diverged enough that the amateur/professional distinction no longer really exists. College football is it's own entity now, a powerhouse business.
Caradoc

Return to Team Discussions