Cook vs Fournette vs McCaffrey

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Cook vs Fournette vs McCaffrey

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Anybody who saw the Senior bowl should've seen that Hunt was going to be good.

He exceeds expectations right now, but it's not all that surprising.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:17 pm

It's pretty simple: if we are a good running team this year passing on the RBs will not have been a mistake. If we aren't, it will have been. The proof will be in the pudding.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:02 pm

real bucs fan wrote:It's pretty simple: if we are a good running team this year passing on the RBs will not have been a mistake. If we aren't, it will have been. The proof will be in the pudding.

Yea. Hindsight stands for nothing, right?
Bootz2004

Postby terrytate » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:37 pm

Clearly, the Bucs FO thought the RB was a point of some need but didn't want to trade up when the talent pool was deep enough to get a guy after the 2nd round. I too would have liked Cook or Mixon in the second but they didn't fall to us. Conversely, on tape, McNichols looked as good as anyone short of Cook, Mixon or Fournette. Obviously, McNichols didn't work out but you can see the line of logic.

If the offense clicks as well as we hope, we are going to need DB's to deal with teams that start throwing on us. Aside from Tandy, our safeties were abysmal last year. IMO, safety was a far bigger need than RB. We still have Tandy, we have Ward now and Evans developing. What was once a very poor unit is now solidified and with some depth.

I didn't view McCaffrey as an elite talent and still don't. He'll be a serviceable player but never a guy worth the pick spent on him. Cook and Fournette will be good ones but will also suffer from having little talent around them to take the heat off. They are going to see 8 men a great deal, which will limit them. I was hoping for Cook or Mixon to fall to us in the 2nd but wasn't willing to bet on that happening. The guy I wanted in the mid rounds was actually Perine. That guy looks like the kind of physical monster I love at RB.
terrytate

Postby Caradoc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:09 am

I think I had us picking Perine in the third. I'm not upset with our draft, although I am upset that McNichols turned out to be such a clown. But everyone was either "consensus" graded around where we got them, or was considered a steal at the time.

Once again though, the team clearly never considered RB as much of a need as fans. Doug had a crap last year, but he was dealing with both injuries and other issues, and Sweezy's injury clearly threw a monkey wrench into our OL -- not only were we missing Mankins, but we were missing the talent offset that JR was supposed to bring.

I like that the team is not panicking about things. Every time a player goes down, underperforms, or just doesn't work out, fans and media are "how do you address this now ". This FO doesn't panic. They didn't freak out and try and trade when JR couldn't play, they showed strategic patience, and early returns suggest they were right in their patience. When Doug got suspended, they didn't cave into fan and media pressure to replace him, instead deciding to stand by him and shore up the RB corps with a later pick. Looking at what we've seen so far Doug was our best runner in PS, and in game one I think we all saw a bunch of 3 yard Quizz runs that we all know Doug could have taken for chunk yards. They have handled DE fairly well IMHO - they gave up one "strategic resource" in the pick for Spence, had an excellent FA signing in Ayers, and hopefully the patience they are showing Jaq pays off or everyone. They are taking a "whole line" approach to the DL, rather than looking for individual achievers, with Clinton and Swaggy being solid though underappreciated investments. They are improving the secondary the same way, not going for a flash player at a particular spot, but long term improvements in the whole unit (while still not refusing mana from HeavenDenver) and developing talent they have.
Caradoc

Postby Noles1724 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:46 am

Week 3

Cook

Fournette

McCaffrey
Noles1724

Previous

Return to Team Discussions