Any plans for an email notification of replies to our posts?

Any plans for an email notification of replies to our posts?

Postby Buc2 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:47 pm

We get notifications when someone "thanks" one of our posts, but nothing if they reply by quoting one of our posts.

Yes... I understand I can subscribe to a thread. But that's not the same thing. If you subscribe, you get an email notification every time someone posts in the thread... not just when they quote one of your posts. I don't know about the rest of you, but I certainly don't want my email blown up because I subscribe to a thread that winds up getting multiple posts.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Re: Any plans for an email notification of replies to our po

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:01 pm

Buc2 wrote:We get notifications when someone "thanks" one of our posts, but nothing if they reply by quoting one of our posts.

Yes... I understand I can subscribe to a thread. But that's not the same thing. If you subscribe, you get an email notification every time someone posts in the thread... not just when they quote one of your posts. I don't know about the rest of you, but I certainly don't want my email blown up because I subscribe to a thread that winds up getting multiple posts.

It may be new, but there is a notify me when reply is posted option every time you post.
uscbucsfan

Postby Buc2 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:50 am

I didn't realize that! Your post made me look for that option. It's probably always been there. duh
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:27 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Buc2 wrote:We get notifications when someone "thanks" one of our posts, but nothing if they reply by quoting one of our posts.

It may be new, but there is a notify me when reply is posted option every time you post.

Okay... Just got the first "notification" after clicking that little box that reads, "Notify me when a reply is posted." As before, it notifies me every time a new post is submitted...not just when someone replies to (quotes) my post. That's not what I'm looking for. On the old boards (including, I think, the 1st iteration of BucZone), you could receive notifications when your specific post was quoted and not just every time someone made a new post in the thread. So this isn't the same. That box only "subscribes" you to the entire thread.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:36 am

{bump}

No?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:04 am

Buc2 wrote:{bump}

Still nothing on this front?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Admin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:35 am

Buc2 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:{bump}

Still nothing on this front?

I don't think this will be possible with this version of software.

As you have noted, there is a similar feature included in the software but it doesn't have the exact behavior that you would want to see.

Because of this, there is no tried & true 'other method(via addon/plugin)' which could serve this purpose. Any such change would require multiple changes to underlying scripts(that the board uses to function) which haven't been tested on production boards of this software. I don't feel comfortable making this change(especially only 1 user explicitly requesting this), when it could compromise the integrity of the board.

Maybe in the future, if we have a big migration where we upgrade board software. Then we can look to a different board software that would have this feature enabled.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests