**OFFICIAL NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread***

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: **OFFICIAL NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread***

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:09 am

The Warriors lost Barnes and added Durant. Other than that I believe it's the same team...if so, that's nuts.

Can't say I'm excited. It's basically a 2 horse race. Last year there were at least 4 contenders.
uscbucsfan

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:51 am

Swashy wrote:Lol wow what a joke. Basketball players have no loyalty. I know Durant played with OKC for a long time but now he's left to play on a super team.

In what way is this different from football or baseball players who run to super teams or chase the money???
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:25 pm

Wow...really didn't see KD leaving for GS..

Am I the only 1 whom thinks this may not work? Only 1 ball to play with..Curry/KD/Thompson can't shoot every possession...
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:00 pm

Super K wrote:Wow...really didn't see KD leaving for GS..

Am I the only 1 whom thinks this may not work? Only 1 ball to play with..Curry/KD/Thompson can't shoot every possession...

3 knockdown shooters...who you game planning to stop? KD can play off the ball better than Harrison Barnes can too and is more of a shot creator than Curry or Thompson(moreso Curry).
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:23 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:Wow...really didn't see KD leaving for GS..

3 knockdown shooters...who you game planning to stop? KD can play off the ball better than Harrison Barnes can too and is more of a shot creator than Curry or Thompson(moreso Curry).

In EVERY "Big 3" one of the guys takes a lesser role and/or becomes more of a role player..

Love with the Cavs
Bosh with the Heat
Allen with the Celts

Hell, go back 20-25 years and the same thing happened...

Drexler on the Rockets
Rodman on the Bulls

A big 3 is, in all reality, a big 2..

Who do you see accepting and taking that role on with the now Warriors+KD squad?
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:38 pm

Super K wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

In EVERY "Big 3" one of the guys takes a lesser role and/or becomes more of a role player..

Love with the Cavs
Bosh with the Heat
Allen with the Celts

Drexler on the Rockets
Rodman on the Bulls

Who do you see accepting and taking that role on with the now Warriors+KD squad?

If Durant buys into the Warriors system, they will be great. They aren't a team that has multiple superstars going iso 20 times a game. They play team ball and Durant on paper adds a ridiculous weapon for that offense. Also, both Thompson and Curry have games where they don't shoot a ton, mostly Thompson. Unless Durant is completely intent on going ISO every time he touches the ball, which he did at times with OKC (mainly bc Westbrook was doing this 70% of the time) there's no way they don't improve offensively. The only thing could be defense, but they have so many weapons and lineups, now even more with KD, they should be unstoppable.

Normally the 2-3 best teams in the NBA make it to the end. I'd say it will be a big shock if it's not Cavs/Warriors in the finals....most said that last year and were correct.
uscbucsfan

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:41 pm

Super K wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Love with the Cavs
Bosh with the Heat
Allen with the Celts

Drexler on the Rockets
Rodman on the Bulls

A lesser role in what way? I'm going to assume like most fans you're focused mainly on scoring and who's taking the shots. In that regard, I don't see why either of them would take a back seat. If anyone does in terms of shot taking it'll be Draymond Green. But I envision KD attacking a lot and dishing out to Thompson/Curry behind the arc. All 3 guys will garner a ton of attention and leaving either of those shooters open will be dangerous. I think the 3 of them together fit perfectly honestly on the offensive end and especially in transition. You're replacing Harrison Barnes with Kevin Durant. The Warriors play team ball better than anyone else in the league. If a guy's open he's the one taking the shot.
Bootz2004

Postby NYBF » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Swashy wrote:Lol wow what a joke. Basketball players have no loyalty. I know Durant played with OKC for a long time but now he's left to play on a super team.

In what way is this different from football or baseball players who run to super teams or chase the money???

I saw a beat writer talk about this regarding baseball. Can you give any examples of baseball players running to "super teams"?
NYBF

Postby Wenchy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:41 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:The Warriors lost Barnes and added Durant. Other than that I believe it's the same team...if so, that's nuts.

Can't say I'm excited. It's basically a 2 horse race. Last year there were at least 4 contenders.

Harrison Barnes is getting PAID at Dallas, 4 years, $94 million. I believe Durant's is 2 years, $54 million.
Wenchy

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:49 pm

NYBF wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I saw a beat writer talk about this regarding baseball. Can you give any examples of baseball players running to "super teams"?

A few years ago it was basically anyone running to the Yankees or Red Sox. But a lot of that had to do with the fact that those 2 teams had the deepest pockets.
Bootz2004

Postby Swashy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:33 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

In the NFL free agents chase the dollar signs, they don't give a damn where they go otherwise the Bucs wouldn't have signed so many players. I've never seen the NFL have a team full of super friends where Mike Wallace, Adrian Peterson, and JJ Watt all decide they're gonna go play with Tom Brady and Patriots to go win a title.

In baseball the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers all splurge to attract the biggest fish in the pond. The best examples I can think of was when the Angels went completely ****ing crazy and signed Josh Hamilton, Albert Pujols and CJ Wilson all within ac couple of years and when the Yankees went and got Teixera, Sabathia, Burnett and I think one other guy and dropped like a billion dollars in contracts after the 2008 offseason.

But one player doesn't make a MLB team better on his own. As a QB you've got a valid point in a guy like Peyton Manning making his team better on his own. In a NBA where only about 2 to 4 teams stand a truly legitimate shot at winning a championship vs anyone's year in MLB, NFL and NHL it puts the loyalty aspect under the microscope to a much more harsh degree.

A basketball player's impact truly profound. If you were to make a comparable "WAR" statistic in basketball, Lebron James by himself (reasonably) fluctuates your win total by about 20 games because he is that dominant. You can reasonably expect Cleveland to win about 60 wins this year and finish about .500 if he were to suddenly leave.

I openly criticize NBA players as opposed to other athletes for the choices they make because arguably the NBA could stand to be contracted from a 30 team league to a 26 or 24 team league due to how baldy watered down it is.
Swashy

Postby terrytate » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:36 am

This doesn't work in the NFL. Too many players on a team for one or two to make a huge difference, unless that player is a QB. Plus, the salary cap is real.

Remember the last team that went big on the elite FA's and looked like they won in the offseason, how did that work out for the Eagles.

In Basketball, when you only have 5 starters and a 6th man who is nearly a starter, that one star can change the whole team. This is also why, for better or worse, the NBA will never have the same kind of parity as the NFL.
terrytate

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:47 am

Swashy wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

In the NFL free agents chase the dollar signs, they don't give a damn where they go otherwise the Bucs wouldn't have signed so many players. I've never seen the NFL have a team full of super friends where Mike Wallace, Adrian Peterson, and JJ Watt all decide they're gonna go play with Tom Brady and Patriots to go win a title.

In baseball the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers all splurge to attract the biggest fish in the pond. The best examples I can think of was when the Angels went completely ****ing crazy and signed Josh Hamilton, Albert Pujols and CJ Wilson all within ac couple of years and when the Yankees went and got Teixera, Sabathia, Burnett and I think one other guy and dropped like a billion dollars in contracts after the 2008 offseason.

But one player doesn't make a MLB team better on his own. As a QB you've got a valid point in a guy like Peyton Manning making his team better on his own. In a NBA where only about 2 to 4 teams stand a truly legitimate shot at winning a championship vs anyone's year in MLB, NFL and NHL it puts the loyalty aspect under the microscope to a much more harsh degree.

A basketball player's impact truly profound. If you were to make a comparable "WAR" statistic in basketball, Lebron James by himself (reasonably) fluctuates your win total by about 20 games because he is that dominant. You can reasonably expect Cleveland to win about 60 wins this year and finish about .500 if he were to suddenly leave.

I openly criticize NBA players as opposed to other athletes for the choices they make because arguably the NBA could stand to be contracted from a 30 team league to a 26 or 24 team league due to how baldy watered down it is.

So you're saying players who chase dollars instead of rings are more loyal?
Bootz2004

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:40 am

A lot of rumors say that D Wade will sign with Cleveland today. Barring injuries, the regular season could be the most pointless in history.
uscbucsfan

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:07 am

uscbucsfan wrote:A lot of rumors say that D Wade will sign with Cleveland today. Barring injuries, the regular season could be the most pointless in history.

If that's the case I'm prepared to hear Stephen A Smith call it a weak move by a Superstar
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:47 am

uscbucsfan wrote:A lot of rumors say that D Wade will sign with Cleveland today. Barring injuries, the regular season could be the most pointless in history.

You can say that again...

However, it'd really he no different than last year..

GS and Cleveland on top..

Spurs in a distant 3rd..

Everyone else just going through the motions with, maybe, one team providing a bit of post season excitement (like this year's Thunder squad)..
Super K

Postby Swashy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:59 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Swashy wrote:

So you're saying players who chase dollars instead of rings are more loyal?

Hardly. I'm just saying that they are more loyal in general. Two examples are right here in Tampa. Steven Stamkos and Doug Martin both left quite a bit of money on the table to stay with the Lightning and Bucs respectively.

TL;DR version: some guys leave in these sports but it doesn't totally screw their team. In basketball one guy leaves and it changes everything.
Swashy

Postby NYBF » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:07 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
NYBF wrote:

A few years ago it was basically anyone running to the Yankees or Red Sox. But a lot of that had to do with the fact that those 2 teams had the deepest pockets.

There is a huge difference between teams outbidding everyone else and players colluding to form "super teams" like LeBron did in Miami.
NYBF

Postby Swashy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:08 am

lololololololol

The Cavs only just barely figured out how to make Love, James and Irving work and now they're reportedly going to add Wade? LMFAO that'll be a damn disaster. Durant is going to be neutered in Golden State
Swashy

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:32 am

Swashy wrote:

lololololololol

The Cavs only just barely figured out how to make Love, James and Irving work and now they're reportedly going to add Wade? LMFAO that'll be a damn disaster. Durant is going to be neutered in Golden State

They would cake walk into the finals...both teams.
uscbucsfan

Postby Fiasco » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:34 am

Swashy wrote:

lololololololol

Love might as well be traded. And Wade won't demand as many shots as Irving and James. There were plenty of games last year where Wade was the second or third leading scorer on a much less talented Heat team. He would replace J.R. Smith in the starting lineup, and now Cleveland has their version of Iggy with Smith coming off the bench.
Fiasco

Postby Swashy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:09 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Swashy wrote:
lololololololol

They would cake walk into the finals...both teams.

They should but I don't know if they will. Whatever learning curve that team has will have to be figured out long before the playoffs
Swashy

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:15 pm

Warriors is talking to Ray Allen to come out of retirement to join them as vet min. salary
Phantom Phenom

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:02 pm

Scratch Wade off Cleveland's list. They can only offer him a mid level exception of $3.4 mil and he's seeking $25 mil per.
Bootz2004

Postby acmillis » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:13 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Scratch Wade off Cleveland's list. They can only offer him a mid level exception of $3.4 mil and he's seeking $25 mil per.

Oh wow...didn't realize that. I'm assuming cap space is the issue. Anything Cleveland can/would have to do to get Wade to $20M/year?
acmillis

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:18 pm

acmillis wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Scratch Wade off Cleveland's list. They can only offer him a mid level exception of $3.4 mil and he's seeking $25 mil per.

Oh wow...didn't realize that. I'm assuming cap space is the issue. Anything Cleveland can/would have to do to get Wade to $20M/year?

Yea! Not re-sign Lebron....If Wade is seriously seeking a multiyear deal for $25mil per there's no way Cleveland can do it...
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:38 pm

Wade would be a bad fit in Cleveland imo.
PrimeMinister

Postby A Man's Part » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:31 pm

It's pretty obvious why top 20 players form super teams.

It's a side effect of the soft team cap and the individual salary cap. It's a system where you have above average veterans making the same money as superstars.

So since money isn't as much of a factor the next big motivator is winning.

For Durant, that's a piece of cake. He made it clear that he prioritized winning when he planned meetings with the Thunder, Spurs, Warriors, Clippers, Heat and Celtics. Those are all teams who could win 60+ games with.. and contend for a title.

In the end, he got to add himself to a team where there is incredible value in terms of value vs contract and still make a ton. Durant was in enviable position for a superstar.. now he has 2 years to win a title and that camel is off his back permanently. Then he can decide again.

If you want to stop it.. form a system where someone can offer Durant a higher percentage of their cap(or no individual cap) and make the math harder to work out.
A Man's Part

Postby sanka » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:42 am

Lost major respect for KD...what bitch move
sanka

Postby Fiasco » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:07 am

sanka wrote:Lost major respect for KD...what bitch move

Would you ever leave your job for a better one?
Fiasco

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports