**OFFICIAL 2019-2020 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL Season Thread**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: **OFFICIAL 2019-2020 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL Season Thre

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:13 am

Alpha wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:Boston is going to be a beast again. I was looking forward to see their guys live. I was thinking Chara could be cooked by now but there is still life in those long legs. They still have the best line in the league. Boston is just a tough team. They came back from being down 2-0 and won. Just a solid, fundamentally sound club that really does not need much production from its bottom 3 lines because their top 3 forwards are so elite.

Would be nice if some other team takes them out in the playoffs. I was standing behind the Boston goal during warm ups and the Rat is absolutely tiny. But he is such a phenomenal player that he uses his size to his advantage. He is small, smart and sneaky and gets so many breakaways and scoring chances because he is so instinctive. I recommend watching the Bruins when they come to town. It's a great rivalry.

Stopped reading after. "They still have the best line in the league".

1) Stamkos/Point/Kucherov

2) Pasternak/Bergeron/The Rat

If we are only talking offense sure...but the Bruin’s line is better than the Point line defensively.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:29 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Alpha wrote:
Stopped reading after. "They still have the best line in the league".

1) Stamkos/Point/Kucherov

2) Pasternak/Bergeron/The Rat

If we are only talking offense sure...but the Bruin’s line is better than the Point line defensively.

I respectfully disagree.

Point and Stamkos are generally considered to be 2 of the best 200 ft. forwards in the NHL. Not to take anything away from BOS...Bergeron is a MONSTER. Pasta is nice as well. Marchand and Kuch are considered to be...lacking...defensively. Kuch more so than The Rat, by a bit. Hell...I've heard multiple analysts call Point a "Younger Bergeron". That's high praise. I LOVE BOS first line and we're basically splitting hairs here. I'm a Lightning fan. The lines are basically 1/2 in the NHL. I'll take the Bolts.

I can make my case by pointing out LAST NIGHT. TOR has 2 really good lines as well...and the Kuch/Point/Stamkos line was un-fucking-real. And TOR isn't a terrible team.

Meh. Flip a coin. BOTH lines will beat your brains in more often than not.

Here's the tie-breaker:

The Rat is a classless bum. The lightning line is classier. Classier breaks the tie.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:20 pm

Alpha wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:

I respectfully disagree.

Point and Stamkos are generally considered to be 2 of the best 200 ft. forwards in the NHL. Not to take anything away from BOS...Bergeron is a MONSTER. Pasta is nice as well. Marchand and Kuch are considered to be...lacking...defensively. Kuch more so than The Rat, by a bit. Hell...I've heard multiple analysts call Point a "Younger Bergeron". That's high praise. I LOVE BOS first line and we're basically splitting hairs here. I'm a Lightning fan. The lines are basically 1/2 in the NHL. I'll take the Bolts.

I can make my case by pointing out LAST NIGHT. TOR has 2 really good lines as well...and the Kuch/Point/Stamkos line was un-fucking-real. And TOR isn't a terrible team.

Meh. Flip a coin. BOTH lines will beat your brains in more often than not.

Here's the tie-breaker:

The Rat is a classless bum. The lightning line is classier. Classier breaks the tie.

If Rat was on the Bolts you would love him. I think he is the best LW on the planet; I’d take him over Ovi and Hall. He is a pain in the ass but I don’t know if anyone wants to win more than he does. He comes to play every night and he might have the best contract in the NHL. They locked him up for a bargain.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:00 am

Nice win by the good guys.

@ BOS is next.

Let's see if they've figured out how to play consistent defense.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:31 am

This just in:

The Rat Marchand is STILL a ****.

Bolts stick it to the Chowds.

**** you Boston.

And the PK is a concern.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:09 am

This next week will tell us where we stand. We look kind of...out of sorts. It bothers me that the national media (including Canada) is bitching about the Bolts "Blah, blah, blah...not being as good as last year". No ****. They aren't gonna be that good. Last year was HISTORIC. the ONLY thing that matters is making the playoffs and then seeing what's, what. We have COL, NASH and PIT coming up. Coming off the back of TOR and BOS (and OTT) AND a BRUTAL, start of the season road trip...we're gonna see if the Lightning are legit or STILL trying to figure out how to play together (defensively).

Looking to see Witkowski sent down the Paquette returns. He was a 4th Liner with DET LAST YEAR. He is an AHL'er and it says a lot that he is STILL on this team.

Taking penalties. This has been a theme for years now. IF our PK continues to suck, this will cost us a LOT of games.

2nd/3rd lines. Gourde particularly, is struggling. We need these guys to start contributing.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:59 am

Going to the Pens game on WED. If anyone wants to meet and greet, hit me up.
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:30 pm

Doc has the greatest voice in sports period. Hockey is intense as it is and this guy makes it even better.
SixStringSamurai

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:00 pm

Jeeeeeeesus....Glad this team figured out a way to dig deep. Doc made this game like it was game 7 of the SCF.
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:57 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:Jeeeeeeesus....Glad this team figured out a way to dig deep. Doc made this game like it was game 7 of the SCF.

Just got back. Amazing game. And I agree...Doc is a GREAT announcer. I love Mishkin as well.

It felt like the Bolts had the majority of the play tonight. Both goalies were amazing.

I was disappointed that the Bolts sent down Verhaghae/ea/whatever. I really don't think Witkowski is an NHL'er and hasn't been for YEARS. That said...on that 2nd goal, he took a lick like a BOSS and made the play.

They DID "dig deep". They found a way to win WITHOUT Stammer or Kuch. That bodes well come playoff time.

Nice win.

Is it April yet?
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:53 pm

Only a month in but oh boy, this team is in trouble.
SixStringSamurai

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:00 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:Only a month in but oh boy, this team is in trouble.

More of this, please. Lightning always seem to play better when SSS is pessimistic.
bucfanclw

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:15 pm

The Lightning had one of the best regular seasons in NHL history last year and got swept in the first round.

As long as we make the playoffs (we will) I only care about how healthy we are once they start.

I don't even care what seed we are. Home ice means little other than game 7 scenarios. The Bolts have the talent to beat anyone, anywhere.

Let's just get back to the dance.
DreadNaught

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:05 pm

Let’s get a winning streak fellas
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:44 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
SixStringSamurai wrote:Only a month in but oh boy, this team is in trouble.

More of this, please. Lightning always seem to play better when SSS is pessimistic.

Same ****, different year from Six String Panic Boy.

ONLY 10 GAMES IN AND WE'RE FUCKED!!!!!

This isn't last year. They are dealing with injuries (Hedman, etc.). The PK is weak. The defense (even with Hedman) is struggling. The offense is inconsistent.

Adversity early. Not necessarily a bad thing.

This team WILL make the playoffs. Then (like last year), we'll see what's what.

Calm your tits.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:32 pm

Is Jon Coopers job safe ? Thoughts ? Concerns ?
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:29 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:Is Jon Coopers job safe ? Thoughts ? Concerns ?

There is NO COACH whose job is "safe" in perpetuity. Something to consider: this franchise is built on the old Red Wings model. Change is incremental and not reactionary. How long was Scotty Bowman around? Come hell or high water...have faith in the coaching staff, the process and the franchise model.

Let's have this conversation in December. Until then...let's look at the facts:

This team is being judged against LAST YEARS team. That's the basis for all of the "sky is falling" non-sense going around here. This is NOT last year's team. For better or worse. Frankly, nothing matters until April. Everything between now and then is noise.

We have BETTER PLAYERS than we had last year. Maroon and Shattenkirk are UPGRADES over Erne and Stralman (the players they've replaced). It takes time for a team to gel. We've also had injuries that have hampered that. We've also had a rough schedule to start the year. Mainly road games against tough teams. Look at who we've beaten thus far. Some pretty good teams.

We'll get back to normal in a couple of weeks and have a much better idea of what this team is. We don't have another game for a week and THOSE are back-to-backs, in Europe. Against a team that has started strong and improved. We'll get Hedman and Maroon back then and be back to full strength.

Frankly, I'm not even remotely concerned about this team until they've had a chance to play together; especially defensively.

Concerns:

Offensive production: We have the same players as last year. Maybe this is a case of expecting last year's production but there doesn't seem to be the same explosiveness. Tonight wasn't indicative of that feeling. 3 games in 4 days. A TON of road games. Let's see how this team is in a week. A FULL WEEK of practice.

Vasy: Bad puck luck tonight but he hasn't looked particularly strong all season. Mediocre. And he's better than that. I think.

Kuch: He's not going to put up 127 points again. But he's been invisible for most of the season. He's a moody player and right now? He's not good. He needs to get right.

Our best players: They've been mostly invisible for a week now. THAT's where our scoring is down. Our secondary players (and defensemen) are scoring. Point, Stammer and Kuch aren't. That's the difference between 2 goals and 5.

I'm really not that concerned, at this point. I like to keep an even keel and try not to compare tis team to last year's team. It's a natural reaction but not a particularly rational one.
Alpha

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:43 pm

Nice. The rout is on!!!

Vasky looks good

7-1 Bolts in 2nd
Phantom Phenom

Postby Rocker » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:53 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Nice. The rout is on!!!

Vasky looks good

7-1 Bolts in 2nd

What’s the atmosphere like? I’m sure Amelie is rocking after so long without a home game. Good to know the guys are playing well after a very pedestrian start. If we can clean up the back end...
Rocker

Postby Alpha » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:36 pm

I work near Amalie and spoke with a LOT of fans before the game. EVERYONE was pumped. Had the game on behind me all night but it was clear that the place was rocking.

It helps when they go up by 4, halfway through the first.

Nice game. The Rangers are one of the hotter teams in the league. Kappo Kakko, Kooky...whatever his name is, was scratched before the game and Zibenjihad is out so their offense was gonna take a hit but this is what happens when the Lightning are rolling offensively.

We're right there. I think we'll see teams start to fall back. TOR is in trouble. Especially with Marner being out for substantial time. Still don't trust BUF, MON or FLA...until one of them proves it. PIT is minus Crosby for 6 weeks, MINIMUM.

In my eyes, it's still TB, BOS, NYI, WAS...and then everyone else.

Just stay healthy.
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:43 pm

This team can do better
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:19 am

Watched the game.

****ing ANGRY.

Don't want to talk about it.

They hung Vasy out to dry. Where are Stammer. Kuch. Point? They should be ashamed.

This is what they do in the playoffs...but they aren't in the playoffs. Yet.

Can they at least let me down in April by playing like this? It's what I'm accustomed to. I guess we're starting early this year...

Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:21 am

2. TWO SHG's!?

Are you ****ing KIDDING ME WITH THIS BULLSHIT!?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:46 am

Vasy ain’t playing right and the offense is absolute inept. I have no clue what is going on but they need to figure it out . The favorites to win it last year and we got swept, favorites to win in it this year and things aren’t looking good. Lot of games to play but we gotta figure out wtf is going on.
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:05 am

SixStringSamurai wrote:Vasy ain’t playing right and the offense is absolute inept. I have no clue what is going on but they need to figure it out . The favorites to win it last year and we got swept, favorites to win in it this year and things aren’t looking good. Lot of games to play but we gotta figure out wtf is going on.

Vasy played right TONIGHT. 2 on 1 or 2 on ZERO breakaway SHG are not on him.

Last year doesn't mean ****. You won't get that but it's true.

TONIGHT was garbage but in win %, this is still a playoff team. In terms of record, this is where the 1015/16 team was that went to the ECF.

I'd rather be playing well in March than now. You might like to think differently but you're a reactionary d-bag. I'm talking about TONIGHT. YOU are making this about last year and next year because that's what you do.

Get bent, ***hole.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:02 am

I was at the Vegas/Toronto game tonight and I must say Toronto is soft as **** and not all that impressive without Marner. They also miss Kadri bad. Their fans sure do travel however. Maybe they wanted a Vegas trip I don't know but there were tons of Leaf fans. And they are brutal. During warm ups, they were putting up signs saying Babcock farewell tour, counting down the days for Barrie to get traded...
Brazen331

Postby ComingThisFall » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:10 am

SixStringSamurai wrote:Vasy ain’t playing right and the offense is absolute inept. I have no clue what is going on but they need to figure it out . The favorites to win it last year and we got swept, favorites to win in it this year and things aren’t looking good. Lot of games to play but we gotta figure out wtf is going on.

The weird scheduling and injuries haven’t helped but I’m glad we’re not going to peak in December this season
ComingThisFall

Postby Alpha » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:12 pm

Oh...and heading into last night's game, they were 2nd in the league in PPG...so "inept" isn't the word I'd use to describe this offense.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:19 pm

Brazen331 wrote:I was at the Vegas/Toronto game tonight and I must say Toronto is soft as **** and not all that impressive without Marner. They also miss Kadri bad. Their fans sure do travel however. Maybe they wanted a Vegas trip I don't know but there were tons of Leaf fans. And they are brutal. During warm ups, they were putting up signs saying Babcock farewell tour, counting down the days for Barrie to get traded...

Farewell indeed.

Babcock was just fired.

TOR is a horrible place to play hockey. The pressure is through the ****ing roof. I bet Stammer is thanking God he didn't go home, when he had the chance. If you have the NHL Network, from 12-2 each weekday, Sportsnet radio, simulcasts on the channel. They're based out of TOR.

Their sportscasters (and fans) have been losing their minds over the last couple of weeks.

Last nights loss was the coup de grace.

That team has issues well past the Marner injury or a head coach. What'll be interesting is to see how this impacts the Lightning organization. If at all.

I think this puts Cooper on the clock. I also think the FO doesn't make a move before Christmas. Baring some kind of free fall but I think they'd be willing to think about it in a month or so.

We'll see. If the Lightning manage to get their act together, this'll be a non-issue in a month.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:09 pm

Sergachev !! What a shot !
Jason Bourne

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports