**OFFICIAL 2019-2020 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL Season Thread**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
**OFFICIAL 2019-2020 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL Season Thread**

Postby Alpha » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:30 pm

Welcome lads (and lasses).

Yada, yada, yada...odds-on favorites...can't win in the playoffs...Presidents Cup curse...Brayden Point...

I think we all know the deal. Let's finish the Point signing and get to April already.

Just like last year...anything less than the Cup and a parade in July is a disappointment.
Alpha

Re: **OFFICIAL 2019-2020 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL Season Thre

Postby Rocker » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:36 am

Is it playoff time yet?
Rocker

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:56 am

This Bolts team is like the 90's Bills teams where the universal expectation is CHAMPIONSHIP or bust.

I'm sure there other teams that had not won a championship (yet) and still deserved these kind of expectations both locally and nationally, but those Bills and these Bolts are the only two I can think of right now.

Let's hope the Bolts learned a lesson from last year and are able to get to April mostly healthy, Hedman especially since he is so vital to both special teams being a winning edge for this team.
DreadNaught

Postby Alpha » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:59 pm

DreadNaught wrote:This Bolts team is like the 90's Bills teams where the universal expectation is CHAMPIONSHIP or bust.

I'm sure there other teams that had not won a championship (yet) and still deserved these kind of expectations both locally and nationally, but those Bills and these Bolts are the only two I can think of right now.

Let's hope the Bolts learned a lesson from last year and are able to get to April mostly healthy, Hedman especially since he is so vital to both special teams being a winning edge for this team.

Honestly, in hindsight, it was over after the first game.

I don't know wtf happened but going up 3-0...everything was rolling...and they somehow, **** the bed. There's no recovering from that. The Kuch suspension is a direct result of that.

Losing Hedman was the nail in the coffin but this team should be able to overcome an individual injury...regardless of who suffers it.

Meh...still salty and bitter but when the new season starts, I'll get over it.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:51 am

After reading the tea leaves...here's what (I THINK) will be coming in the next several days:

Marner signs a 3 year, 9-10 mil/yr deal with TOR.

Point will then sign a 3 year 8 mil/yr. deal in TB.

This just makes sense all around. I really think TB has the Point deal done. I also believe they're waiting on Marner because they (the NHLPU) doesn't want to screw over other players (Laine, etc.) by announcing the deal BEFORE the Marner deal. Also...looking at the recent signings by TB...they SURELY wouldn't have been done if that extra million or two were needed to re-sign Point. The Bolts have (roughly) 8.5 mil left in cap space. I'm CERTAIN they know it's enough to get Point under contract. They're too good of an organization to NOT understand this. Thus...I believe they have an agreement under wraps.

These aren't "bridge deals" in the Kucherov sense. The cap will be going up significantly in the next 3 years. A new US TV deal combined with the expansion (Seattle) franchise guarantees it. Point will get his BIG pay day then. Likely the highest paid player on the team (10+ mil/year).

The only real question left is: Are any of the AHL'ers ready to make the jump?

Stephens, Volkov, Foote, Barre-Boulet, Vaerhage...one or two others. They may be a year away. Especially considering how the Bolts like to keep their guys in the AHL to simmer, longer than most franchises.

Camp opens in about a week. Getting pumped for hockey season!!11!!111
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:50 pm

Point is really standing his ground.
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:19 am

SixStringSamurai wrote:Point is really standing his ground.

After Kuch pulling that **** a few years back...I ain't worried. I Think he signed 2 or 3 days before the season started.

Both Point's agent AND the Lightning know where the even ground is. They'll get there. It's no secret how much money the Lightning have under the cap. You can't get blood from a stone. The Lightning are (reportedly) offering 5.5 for 3 years.

It's STILL a 3 year deal. Somewhere around 7, I'm guessing. With the promise that the Bolts pony up when the cap explodes (after Seattle enters the league).

Nothing to see here.

Yet.

(It'll be interesting if a team throws out an offer sheet. I doubt it happens...but that would **** EERYTHING up).
Alpha

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:37 am

I'm still reeling from last years nose dive and quick exit.

Watching from a little further this year may help.

Go Bolts!!
Crocaneers

Postby ComingThisFall » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:13 am

Well...I’m ready for some hockey after that shitshow of a Giants game
ComingThisFall

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:20 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:Point is really standing his ground.

Point is signed. 3yrs - $6.75 APY

Let's roll
DreadNaught

Postby SixStringSamurai » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:38 pm

Nice!!!!
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:58 pm

Well...the concensus (from MANY media sources) seems to be nothing short of AWE at the Lightning organization.

This is yet another example of why there are several really good NHL franchises...and then there are the Lightning at the very, very top.

If you ever listen to Tim and Sid on Sportsnet, they spent 5 minutes gushing with admiration over the Lightning organization and Tim comes up with the slogan for next years season ticket drive:

The Tampa Bay Lightning: Don't worry...we'll figure it out.

Toronto has 3 guys who've never won a playoff series in their LIVES making 11+ mil/year.

The Lightning have Rocket Richard winners, Veznia winners and Art Ross winners NONE of whom are even making 10.

I'd love to sit here and say I'm shocked...but not anymore. This kind of craziness has become "normal" around these parts for years now.

Well done, JBB.
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:46 pm

1st game of the season....lets go!
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:37 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:1st game of the season....lets go!

I really see the Bolts starting off slow. I expect a loss tomorrow night. We've got Paquette, Hedman, Point and Johnson (possibly) out and 2 rookies starting. Plus a new D core that'll take time to gel.

The Panthers are gonna be legit, this year. Finally.

We have Verhaegae/Verhaeghe/Verheageha starting...the kid is gonna take time to acclimate to the speed of this league. Naturally, he'll end up with 20 goals because that's how we roll...but to START the season, I expect the Bolts to struggle. At least until Point returns.

Everything is set up for the Bolts to lose early.

I'll be at the game...and am afraid I'm going home disappointed.

Is it April, yet?
Alpha

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:32 pm

The Bolts have a guy nicknamed Shatty! We need Ich to produce some one liners.
DreadNaught

Postby Alpha » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:55 pm

Just got back from the game. A little loopy (too many beers) but these are my takeaways:

- Without Point, this is a VERY different kind of team from last year. Especially offensively. I'm sure a lot of this is "first game jitters" but the offense is really unimpressive. Vasy won this game, make no mistake about it. until the 3rd, there was absolutely NO continuity, offensively. It wasn't often but when we were able to muster some offense, it was one shot and done. I wouldn't count on the Bolts scoring 5 goals on 30 shots very often.

- I think the Panties were the better team tonight. By a LOT. For the first 2 periods, they carried the play by a wide margin. They are a GOOD team. Make no mistake about it.

- Our 4th line was BY FAR, the dominant line tonight. That's not good. Maroon/Smith/Witkowski? Ouch. Don't get it twisted...that line is strong. They do their job. They spent a LOT of time in the offensive zone. But this isn't a recipe for success. Again, I'm sure things will change when Point returns but until then, the Bolts are gonna have to just HANG ON TIGHT because there are gonna be some UGLY games ahead.

- We saw why Shattenkirk is the PP QB instead of Sergachev. That dude has a nasty shot from the point. Good to see the new guys (with Maroon) score. Maroon is a monster in front of the net. Dudes don't even TRY to move him.

- Verhaegheaheee was WAY out of his depth tonight. The game will slow down for him eventually but tonight, he was lost. Smith was a bit better...but not much. These guys need to be in the AHL. Unfortunately, that's not gonna happen for a while. It was pretty shocking to see how much of a difference Point makes to this team.

- Nice win. Unfortunately, the schedule doesn't work in our favor to start the year. ANY point we can get in our first 14 games will be HUGE. @TOR. @CAR. @BOS. With OTT scattered in. I think this team will start slow and be questioned early. They may take some early beatings. I'll look for Steve Dangle to crow about how "great" the Leafs look when they beat us. I expect this team to look very different a month from now. I guess we'll see...
Alpha

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:52 am

Well, since we saw the first hooking penalty against us last night, I guess it's time to break this one out:

bucfanclw

Postby Teitan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:44 am

Alpha bringing the negativity after a 5-2 season opener win! Let us have this, Rays win! Lightning win! Bucs win!
Teitan

Postby Alpha » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:13 pm

Teitan wrote:Alpha bringing the negativity after a 5-2 season opener win! Let us have this, Rays win! Lightning win! Bucs win!

Hardly, bro.

Just trying to be a realist here. This is NOT the same team as last year.

I like Maroon. That big sumbitch literally SITS in front of the net and DARES people to try and move him. They can't, btw. Look at his goal last night. I don't think I've seen a Lightning player like him since Andreychuk.

I think things will look better when Point returns and Cirelli goes back to the 3rd line with Killorn and Mathieu. Last night, he centered the 2nd line and they looked pretty anemic.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:13 pm

Teitan wrote:Alpha bringing the negativity after a 5-2 season opener win! Let us have this, Rays win! Lightning win! Bucs win!

Hardly, bro.

Just trying to be a realist here. This is NOT the same team as last year.

I like Maroon. That big sumbitch literally SITS in front of the net and DARES people to try and move him. They can't, btw. Look at his goal last night. I don't think I've seen a Lightning player like him since Andreychuk.

I think things will look better when Point returns and Cirelli goes back to the 3rd line with Killorn and Mathieu. Last night, he centered the 2nd line and they looked pretty anemic.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:56 am

Well...that wasn't what I expected.

The result was. Again...FLA has a good team this year. I just didn't expect Tampa to dominate this game like they did. Almost the exact opposite of the first game. FLA got the breaks, this game, like the Bolts did in the first.

It reminded me of the couple of games against TOR, last year. We won a game where we were CLEARLY dominated and then lost a game where we were clearly dominant.

I refuse to pass judgment on this team until Point returns. We have a LOT of road games to start the year, unfortunately. Something like 14 of the first 17 or something crazy like that. Honestly...if we can break even and THEN get Point back...I'm ok.

FLA concentrated on taking Kuch out of this game...and they did. It was encouraging to see the bottom 6 contribute again. It bodes well for the rest of the season. It was discouraging to see the 2nd line look lost again. They have ZERO chemistry, at this point. This is where missing Point is hurting us. Gourde missed early but other than that...not really much from these guys.

We go again tomorrow against another playoff team (CAR). McIlheney is in net. Then TOR AND BOS on the road.

We need 3 points out of this. Losing all 3 in regulation will put us in a bad spot early. This team knows how to do this. They just need to do it.

We'll see.
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:58 pm

I’m down with a point after getting peppered with shots. Just not a good game but the guys hung in there as long as they could.
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:50 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:I’m down with a point after getting peppered with shots. Just not a good game but the guys hung in there as long as they could.

Absolutely.

After that short burst in the first, it was "hang on for dear life". And when Shattenkirk took that penalty with @ a minute left, I had NO DOUBT CAR would win the game in regulation.

ZERO SoG in the 2nd. TWO SoG in the 3rd. ZERO in OT.

It's a friggin' MIRACLE the Bolts got a point out of this game.

If we can go 1-1-1 until Point returns...that's a WIN. Especially with all of these road games coming.

I'm trying to get THURS night off...I don't care if we lose against BOS...just BEAT TOR. I listen to Steve Dangles podcast. Dude is just funny...and a somewhat rational Leafs fan...but the rest are friggin' CONVINCED that "this is the year". They've started off hot against terrible teams. Would LOVE to see the Bolts go in and kick 'em in the balls.

That said...TOR offense is clicking like a sumbitch...like they SHOULD HAVE last year. They are a really good, talented team.

We'll see...
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:17 am

I’m going to see the Bruins play in Vegas on Tuesday. I’ll give a little scouting report on how Boston look. I’m hoping Vegas just rolls over them. It’s possible because when they are clicking VGK can be absolutely brutal in that arena and Vegas has looked fantastic in the first couple games.

I will predict right now that Cody Glass wins the Calder. He is in the best position possible to succeed as they have him playing between Stone and Pacioretty. And Glass is a righty too...Pacioretty could pot 40 goals if he stays healthy.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:27 pm

Oh hell...

Point is BACK!

Not expecting miracles against TOR on Thursday...but THANK GOD because this team has looked like garbage, more often than not.

As long as we stay healthy...this team should show massive improvement over the next 3 weeks.

Looking for a better PK and defensive play in general.

The Gourde line has been weak every game. With TJ moving down...this should change.

GO BOLTS!
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:07 am

Boston is going to be a beast again. I was looking forward to see their guys live. I was thinking Chara could be cooked by now but there is still life in those long legs. They still have the best line in the league. Boston is just a tough team. They came back from being down 2-0 and won. Just a solid, fundamentally sound club that really does not need much production from its bottom 3 lines because their top 3 forwards are so elite.

Would be nice if some other team takes them out in the playoffs. I was standing behind the Boston goal during warm ups and the Rat is absolutely tiny. But he is such a phenomenal player that he uses his size to his advantage. He is small, smart and sneaky and gets so many breakaways and scoring chances because he is so instinctive. I recommend watching the Bruins when they come to town. It's a great rivalry.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 am

Brazen331 wrote:Boston is going to be a beast again. I was looking forward to see their guys live. I was thinking Chara could be cooked by now but there is still life in those long legs. They still have the best line in the league. Boston is just a tough team. They came back from being down 2-0 and won. Just a solid, fundamentally sound club that really does not need much production from its bottom 3 lines because their top 3 forwards are so elite.

Would be nice if some other team takes them out in the playoffs. I was standing behind the Boston goal during warm ups and the Rat is absolutely tiny. But he is such a phenomenal player that he uses his size to his advantage. He is small, smart and sneaky and gets so many breakaways and scoring chances because he is so instinctive. I recommend watching the Bruins when they come to town. It's a great rivalry.

Stopped reading after. "They still have the best line in the league".

1) Stamkos/Point/Kucherov

2) Pasternak/Bergeron/The Rat
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:59 pm

Wow.

After 1. 4-3 Tampa.

This looks like a friggin' All-Star game.

Oh yeah...Point is kind of a big deal and the PP (with Point there) looks completely different.

Would like to see better defense and goaltending but **** it. It may just be one of those standard 12-11 NHL games.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:23 pm

I guess TOR learned a valuable lesson tonight:

Don't piss off the Bolts.

This has been total domination.

This just in: The Lightning are STILL really good.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd…

**** you Toronto.

You're STILL our bitch.
Alpha

Next

Return to Other Sports