** Official Rays 2015 Season Thread **

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ** Official Rays 2015 Season Thread **

Postby NavyBuc » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:56 pm

Well, the second half has not exactly started well, particularly when you lose to the Phillies. blech. Matt Moore just not looking right yet. Hopefully it's just rust coming back from TJ surgery and not something permanent. Some guys that get TJ surgery never recover.
NavyBuc

Postby Nano » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:23 am

He's given up 3 or more runs in every start, and well...his longest start was 5 innings. Problem is...he's not improving with every start...he's basically flatlining right now. Very discouraging to see. Anyways, it was a fun run while it lasted but It's now time to see reality.

Tbh, my interest for this season has kind of died off for the moment. Maybe that's because my mind is moving towards upcoming Football(TC less then a week) but really...the Rays are boring right now. Even more so then usual. Nothing to look forword to anymore(we're not making the playoffs), and you know how the game will playout before it's even started. You just hope the Rays can score at least 3 runs. eck.
Nano

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:48 pm

No pitcher .. EVER has had a win and homered to cause the only run in a game

EVER
Crocaneers

Postby NYBF » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:05 pm

Crocaneers wrote:No pitcher .. EVER has had a win and homered to cause the only run in a game
EVER

Never? Ever? In the long storied history of baseball? Are you sure? That seems very unlikely.
NYBF

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:31 pm

NYBF wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:No pitcher .. EVER has had a win and homered to cause the only run in a game ... in interleague play
EVER

Never? Ever? In the long storied history of baseball? Are you sure? That seems very unlikely.

Good point .. the story left out a integral point (yet still a great feat) ... added in interleague play

Rays Team Facebook post:

Before Nathan Karns tonight, no pitcher—AL or NL—had ever homered, accounting for the only run of a 1-0 victory in interleague play!
http://m.rays.mlb.com/news/article/1378 ... t-phillies
Crocaneers

Postby Nano » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:24 pm

Boxburger, McGee, and Jepsen all on the trade block. Lets see which lucky reliver get traded for peanuts!

...mmm...peanuts.
Nano

Postby Kress » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:42 pm

How can a team string together hits like that yet score so few runs?
Kress

Postby NavyBuc » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:59 pm

There are a lot of disappointments on this team right now, most notably, offensively. Outside of Forsythe, Jaso and sometimes Kiermaier, the rest of this offense is useless. It's just sad to see this team decline the way it has this year, and now here come the trades....last year it was Price, Zobrist and Myers...this year it may be McGee and Boxberger. Rumors are Forsythe could be on the block as well. It's like 'Here we go again."
NavyBuc

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:15 pm

Semi-Rays related. Zobrist traded to KC Royals. So glad he didn't end up with the Yankees.
pewterpirates

Postby Nano » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:00 pm

So, anyone follow our minor league system? If so, has Blake Snell had a really good year or something? Looking at the Rays prospect rankings on MLB.com...he's jumped from the teens to #2 overall in our system(he was ranked #20 at the end of last season), and went from unranked in the top 100 overall, to #49.
Nano

Postby NavyBuc » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:00 pm

Damn, DeJesus traded. Really liked him. Decent hitter and he kept things loose in the locker room. Good for the morale of the team. Oh well, by now we should know that if you do good for us you'll land somewhere else.
NavyBuc

Postby Nano » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:36 am

Price coming back to the AL East.

Edit: Why trade Price a year after you gave up a ton for him(You traded a starting pitcher AND your top prospect)?
Nano

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:56 am

Nano wrote:Price coming back to the AL East.

Edit: Why trade Price a year after you gave up a ton for him(You traded a starting pitcher AND your top prospect)?

Yankees or Blue Jays?
Bootz2004

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:26 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Nano wrote:Price coming back to the AL East.

Yankees or Blue Jays?

Toronto

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13346 ... cid=espnFB
Crocaneers

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:36 pm

I'm surprised Toronto has made so many big moves. 1st Tulowitski then Josh Donaldson and now Price. Really making a push for a title.
Bootz2004

Postby Nano » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:17 pm

Do they have any good prospects left? lol
Nano

Postby NavyBuc » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:37 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:I'm surprised Toronto has made so many big moves. 1st Tulowitski then Josh Donaldson and now Price. Really making a push for a title.

Ah, must be nice. Damn I'm jealous.
NavyBuc

Postby Nano » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:57 pm

Any chance the Rays will ever be like that? :lol:
Nano

Postby NavyBuc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:32 am

The Astros remind me a lot of the 2008 Rays except they are actually willing to go out and make deals at the trade deadline to put them over the top. Very young team with great pitching and great chemistry.
NavyBuc

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:35 am

Good for Archer. Glad a current Ray finally spoke out about how TB does business at the trade deadline. You can't ALWAYS be playing for 3 years in the future. At some point in time, you have to play for the here and now.

http://www.raysindex.com/2015/07/chris- ... ments.html

The Rays are just 3.0 games back in the Wild Card and yet most indications are that the Rays are willing to trade away some key players as we approach today’s trade deadline. That does not appear to be sitting too well with Chris Archer who is getting vocal.

Archer first chimed in after the Toronto Blue Jays, who are a game ahead of the Rays in the standings, traded for both David Price and Troy Tulowitzki.

ARCHER TWEET: If anyone wants to know what it looks like to be all in, check out the Jays.

I don’t want to get into the business of putting words into somebody’s mouth. There are plenty of others who do that. But it is hard to read that and not think he is either suggesting the Rays are not all in or he is putting pressure on the Rays to get all in.

The latter appears to be the case as Archer went a step further in comments to Marc Topkin of The Tampa Bay Times.

“I’m speaking for our clubhouse when I say this, WE are hoping and confident that the areas of need will be addressed in the coming hours so that we can stay competitive not just in September but through the month of October as well … Other teams have, and I hope that motivates not only the players to give it all they have but the management as well.”

These comments are pretty amazing and unprecedented. These are not random words off the top of his head in response to a reporter’s question. These are premeditated. He is speaking for the team which means these are not only conversations he has had with other veteran players but it sounds like they all agreed that Archer would be the one to deliver those thoughts to the media.

This is really unheard of for a team that typically works under a cloak of secrecy and usually has the players working with them on the same page. In this case, there is a disconnect. The players are not in the loop and they want the front office to be active. In the past, players seemed to “trust the process” a little more and assumed Andrew Friedman was doing what was best for the team both now and for the future. It doesn’t appear that the players have the same level of confidence in this new front office, at least not yet.
pewterpirates

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:46 am

We're only a game behind Toronto???!!!! Wow! The FO needs to stop looking into 10 years later and play to win games.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:00 am

Good for Archer, it might seem for taboo for players to speak out. But what he's saying is truthful and exactly what most fans already think. I don't begrudge him at all if this was in fact a team message and he is the spokesperson.

Sadly, I understand why we are always 'building for the future'. Until we get out of that hell hole stadium built in the middle of nowhere this has to be the model to remain competitive. I can't get mad at ownership for not forking out cash when we only draw 10k a night.
DreadNaught

Postby NavyBuc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:40 am

Thank You Chris Archer for stepping up and having some damn nads because yesterday I was just telling my buddy we have no leaders on this team and no one who is willing to speak out. The guy wants to win. I love it.
NavyBuc

Postby Nano » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:03 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Good for Archer, it might seem for taboo for players to speak out. But what he's saying is truthful and exactly what most fans already think. I don't begrudge him at all if this was in fact a team message and he is the spokesperson.

Sadly, I understand why we are always 'building for the future'. Until we get out of that hell hole stadium built in the middle of nowhere this has to be the model to remain competitive. I can't get mad at ownership for not forking out cash when we only draw 10k a night.

Even if we move to downtown Tampa, we still wouldn't have enough money/attendence to do what the Jays are doing now. Tampa Bay is just not a good sports area(too many transplants, just too oversaturated) yet.
Nano

Postby NavyBuc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:10 pm

Nano wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Good for Archer, it might seem for taboo for players to speak out. But what he's saying is truthful and exactly what most fans already think. I don't begrudge him at all if this was in fact a team message and he is the spokesperson.

Even if we move to downtown Tampa, we still wouldn't have enough money/attendence to do what the Jays are doing now. Tampa Bay is just not a good sports area(too many transplants, just too oversaturated) yet.

Disagree to an extent. Seems to be good for hockey. Not sure where I saw it but the city was voted as one of the best hockey towns in the NHL (think we were ranked 7th). Sell out pretty much every game.
NavyBuc

Postby StillCSG » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:16 pm

Nano wrote:

Bullshit....lightning are constantly in the top 10 year in year out in attendance for the NHL
StillCSG

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:18 pm

I don't even watch Hockey and I know that the Lightning are among the NHLs top franchises in terms of attendance.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:57 pm

Nano wrote:

Yeah, the #'s don't support this... Like others have already mentioned the Lightning average close to 18k fans and are near the tops in the NHL. When you take into account the TV ratings for Rays compared to the Lightning you can make a strong case there is much larger demand for Rays baseball than for Lightning hockey from the local market.

Your point about transplants is valid, but that is much more prevalent in Pinelles and Manatee county as compared to Hillsborough. Not that there are not great Tampa Bay sports fans in those areas, there just are not enough and they are too spread apart. A much more condensed population Tampa Bay sports fans are on this side of the bridge.
DreadNaught

Postby Nano » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:44 pm

While the attendence will improve(Lightning do draw good numbers getting as high as 8th in NHL last few year, but the Bucs are consistetly bottom 5 in attendence), lets not pretend like we're suddenly going to start being able to afford guys like Price, Tulo, and others. We'll have more buying power, but for more of the DeJesus of the MLB
Nano

Postby Nano » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:48 pm

Anyways, The Rays have just traded Kevin "rae" Jepsen to the Twins for RHP Chih-Wei Hu and RHP Alexis Tapia
Nano

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports