**Official Soccer Thread**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
post

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:41 pm

Martin RogersVerified account
‏@mrogersUSAT
Sepp Blatter last week: "Why would I step down? That would be admitting I did something wrong."
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 6896
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 290 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby The Outsider » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:44 pm

He's spooked. The NYT exposed his right hand man yesterday.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:56 pm

The Outsider wrote:He's spooked. The NYT exposed his right hand man yesterday.


Yup, the walls are starting to close in around him. Time to cash out and retire...
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 6896
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 290 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:07 pm

The Swiss attorney general said today that Sepp Blatter is not under investigation by Swiss authorities
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 2533
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:47 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:The Swiss attorney general said today that Sepp Blatter is not under investigation by Swiss authorities


Maybe not, but the FBI and DoJ is investigating.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 6896
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 290 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby NavyBuc » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:07 pm

So do you think this puts Qatar's World Cup in jeopardy or are they still a lock to keep it? I seriously hope they move it. Dumbest decision ever to have it held in that country.
NavyBuc
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:56 pm

NavyBuc wrote:So do you think this puts Qatar's World Cup in jeopardy or are they still a lock to keep it? I seriously hope they move it. Dumbest decision ever to have it held in that country.


Yes, I think the Qatar WC is in serious jeopardy, definitely not a lock to keep it. I don't think the USA should get it either, since it would be a bad look being that it was our legal system that brought down Blatter and his executives.

I think the WC in Russia 3 years from now is safe however. Mainly b/c there isn't enough time to prepare a new site, and Putin might start a war the WC is taken from him...
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 6896
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 290 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:33 pm

I missed the best comeback ever. Never again. FIGHT USA!
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 2533
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby The Outsider » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:31 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:I missed the best comeback ever. Never again. FIGHT USA!



Seriously. That was some great ****.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby NavyBuc » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:15 am

DreadNaught wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:So do you think this puts Qatar's World Cup in jeopardy or are they still a lock to keep it? I seriously hope they move it. Dumbest decision ever to have it held in that country.


Yes, I think the Qatar WC is in serious jeopardy, definitely not a lock to keep it. I don't think the USA should get it either, since it would be a bad look being that it was our legal system that brought down Blatter and his executives.

I think the WC in Russia 3 years from now is safe however. Mainly b/c there isn't enough time to prepare a new site, and Putin might start a war the WC is taken from him...


Ideally I'd like to see it in the UK, but they won't give Europe back-to-back World Cups. I've heard either USA/Mexico splitting it or them keeping it in Asia and giving it to Korea/Japan because they have the infrastructure in place. As long as it's not Qatar, I'll be happy. There's no way that country should have a WC.
NavyBuc
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby NYBF » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:59 pm

Unless they take away 2018 too (which they're again saying is possible). USA could easily be ready for 2018 I would think, and then UK for 2022. I do think Putin would lose his **** over that, though.
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 2496
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 234 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:13 pm

Team USA stunned world No. 1 Germany, winning for the first time on German soil. Bobby Wood's goal in the 88th minute proved to be the winner in Wednesday's international friendly.
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 2533
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby The Outsider » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:47 am

USA Soccer is best soccer.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby sanka » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:35 pm

Mourinho is gone....Thank GOd
User avatar
sanka
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby Swashy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:49 am

Feel bad for JM but Chelsea was playing like total garbage and I can't say it wasn't warranted. A little soon but 4-3-9 and in danger of going all the way to the bottom 3 will justify anything. A good manager will turn them around.

At least for now, thank God for Jurgen Klopp
Swashy
 
Posts: 2129
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby The Outsider » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:47 am

Anyone watch the USA v Iceland friendly? We need some work defensively, I'm hoping Miazga improves quick now that he's with Chelsea, but we looked fantastic going forward. Bradley looks so much better when he's paired with another creative midfielder like Nagbe or Ngyuen. I'm excited for the summer along with 2018.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:29 am

The Outsider wrote:Anyone watch the USA v Iceland friendly? We need some work defensively, I'm hoping Miazga improves quick now that he's with Chelsea, but we looked fantastic going forward. Bradley looks so much better when he's paired with another creative midfielder like Nagbe or Ngyuen. I'm excited for the summer along with 2018.



I watched most of it. It's a tough game to take anything away from as both sides played many guys who wouldn't normally start or play.

It was nice to see some creativity -- especially from Nguyen...he hadn't impressed me much with the national team in his most recent sub roles. He did a great job finding space. It was nice to see some of the young guys play too.

I agree that Bradley plays best when he isn't the sole guy responsible for creating chances. Altidore played better...but he often does that against inferior competition.


Moving ahead Copa will be a great experience this year and be a much better benchmark for the younger guys.

One thing I've done a 180 on in the past couple months is Clint Dempsey (I know he didn't play yesterday). I thought he still had a major role to play in this team. But I'm not so sure anymore. His "laziness" really stands out when you watch the young guys play and all the runs they make. I think he still has a place on the team -- namely an off the bench role as a poaching threat. I'm just not sure I want to see him go 90 anymore.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby The Outsider » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:13 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
The Outsider wrote:Anyone watch the USA v Iceland friendly? We need some work defensively, I'm hoping Miazga improves quick now that he's with Chelsea, but we looked fantastic going forward. Bradley looks so much better when he's paired with another creative midfielder like Nagbe or Ngyuen. I'm excited for the summer along with 2018.



I watched most of it. It's a tough game to take anything away from as both sides played many guys who wouldn't normally start or play.

It was nice to see some creativity -- especially from Nguyen...he hadn't impressed me much with the national team in his most recent sub roles. He did a great job finding space. It was nice to see some of the young guys play too.

I agree that Bradley plays best when he isn't the sole guy responsible for creating chances. Altidore played better...but he often does that against inferior competition.


Moving ahead Copa will be a great experience this year and be a much better benchmark for the younger guys.

One thing I've done a 180 on in the past couple months is Clint Dempsey (I know he didn't play yesterday). I thought he still had a major role to play in this team. But I'm not so sure anymore. His "laziness" really stands out when you watch the young guys play and all the runs they make. I think he still has a place on the team -- namely an off the bench role as a poaching threat. I'm just not sure I want to see him go 90 anymore.


I kind of agree about Dempsey. I think we still need a more viable goal scoring option before we start phase him out, but he can still be effective in a Klose type role as he just seems to score goals.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:09 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

I watched most of it. It's a tough game to take anything away from as both sides played many guys who wouldn't normally start or play.

It was nice to see some creativity -- especially from Nguyen...he hadn't impressed me much with the national team in his most recent sub roles. He did a great job finding space. It was nice to see some of the young guys play too.

I agree that Bradley plays best when he isn't the sole guy responsible for creating chances. Altidore played better...but he often does that against inferior competition.


Moving ahead Copa will be a great experience this year and be a much better benchmark for the younger guys.

One thing I've done a 180 on in the past couple months is Clint Dempsey (I know he didn't play yesterday). I thought he still had a major role to play in this team. But I'm not so sure anymore. His "laziness" really stands out when you watch the young guys play and all the runs they make. I think he still has a place on the team -- namely an off the bench role as a poaching threat. I'm just not sure I want to see him go 90 anymore.


I kind of agree about Dempsey. I think we still need a more viable goal scoring option before we start phase him out, but he can still be effective in a Klose type role as he just seems to score goals.


the only way i'm ok with dempsey playing lots of minutes is up front as the primary striker. i hate him in the #10 role. i think his laziness kills us there. the selfishness on the ball that makes him a good scorer, doesn't work well in that withdrawn role either.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby The Outsider » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:20 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
The Outsider wrote:
I kind of agree about Dempsey. I think we still need a more viable goal scoring option before we start phase him out, but he can still be effective in a Klose type role as he just seems to score goals.


the only way i'm ok with dempsey playing lots of minutes is up front as the primary striker. i hate him in the #10 role. i think his laziness kills us there. the selfishness on the ball that makes him a good scorer, doesn't work well in that withdrawn role either.


Hence the reference to Klose. I'd love to have Dempsey in 2018 on the bench to send out to bang a few in, or in order to rest whoever our primary striker is.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:27 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:
the only way i'm ok with dempsey playing lots of minutes is up front as the primary striker. i hate him in the #10 role. i think his laziness kills us there. the selfishness on the ball that makes him a good scorer, doesn't work well in that withdrawn role either.


Hence the reference to Klose. I'd love to have Dempsey in 2018 on the bench to send out to bang a few in, or in order to rest whoever our primary striker is.



i see, i definitely agree.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:39 pm

WTF is going on with USA soccer?

they're horrible
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 2533
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby The Outsider » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:16 pm

Anyone hit up the Rowdies games? Season opener was tonight, we drew Indy 0-0.

I got season tickets this year and it's been great thus far.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon May 02, 2016 8:03 pm

Leicester just became the biggest underdog in sports history.

At the beginning of the season they were 5,000 to 1 to win the title. And with Tottenham's draw today they did just that (with 3 rounds remaining).

Incredible
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby The Outsider » Tue May 24, 2016 7:40 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Leicester just became the biggest underdog in sports history.

At the beginning of the season they were 5,000 to 1 to win the title. And with Tottenham's draw today they did just that (with 3 rounds remaining).

Incredible



As a Gunner, watching the Spurs implode was almost as good as winning the league. Almost.

And hats off to Leicester. They were clearly the best team all year long and that trio of Vardy, Mahrez, and Okazaki was nuts. Not to mention Kante and the rest. Un-fucking-believable.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:30 pm

well that sucked
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby The Outsider » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:52 am

Well, Costa Rica tonight. What I'm hoping to see is a little bit of a younger lineup, and for the love of Christ please have Tim Howard in goal, even on the decline he's still better than Brad "Big Baby" Guzan. My ideal XI would look like this:

Howard
Yedlin, Cameron, Brooks, Chandler
Bradley, Kitchen
Nagbe
Zardes, Wood, Johnson
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:35 am

USA wins Group A. Brazil out in the group stage.
Image
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 116 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby NYBF » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:36 am

Ken Carson wrote:Brazil out in the group stage.


Some mighty fine officiating made this happen.
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 2496
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 234 times

Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:04 am

NYBF wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Brazil out in the group stage.


Some mighty fine officiating made this happen.



Almost as bad as the Frings handball that prevented us from getting to the semifinals of WC'02
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 104 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Other Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest