**OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2018-2019 NHL Season Thread**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: **OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2018-2019 NHL Season Thre

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Alpha wrote:
Rocker wrote:
Sure, they got better, but the cost? Fuckouttahere.

I don’t see them as legit contenders. Smells like part desperation to improve, part fan service.

Meh.

Don't be ridiculous. SJ IS a real contender this year. With Vlasic, Burns AND EK...that defense is sick. And (assuming) Kane is for real and not gonna tank it...they're Cup contenders. Glad we only play them twice.

Yes, SJ might be the strongest team in the West, for this year. I’m surprised they didn’t extend him first, great chance this is just a rental.

But Burns and Karlsson is going to be insane. I can’t recall another team having so much firepower from the blue line. These guys are more skilled offensively than the majority of forwards in the NHL.

It will be the same set up that would have happened in Tampa with Hedman/Karlsson. You will always have a blue-line stud on the ice; opposing defenses will be under constant pressure; the SJ PP will be ridiculous.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:03 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Alpha wrote:
Don't be ridiculous. SJ IS a real contender this year. With Vlasic, Burns AND EK...that defense is sick. And (assuming) Kane is for real and not gonna tank it...they're Cup contenders. Glad we only play them twice.

I’m surprised they didn’t extend him first, great chance this is just a rental.

Not sure they really could've. There is an agent in play here. From EK's presser, it sounded like he was really, kind of...disappointed...that the deal got done. He didn't want to leave OTT.

I think his agent wants him to go to FA...BUT SJ has an entire year to sign him.

And they'll have the money to do it...AFTER this year (Thornton's contract comes off the books). I really think how this season plays out in SJ will determine if EK sign there, long term.

We'll see...
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:50 pm

Alpha wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:
I’m surprised they didn’t extend him first, great chance this is just a rental.

Not sure they really could've. There is an agent in play here. From EK's presser, it sounded like he was really, kind of...disappointed...that the deal got done. He didn't want to leave OTT.

I think his agent wants him to go to FA...BUT SJ has an entire year to sign him.

And they'll have the money to do it...AFTER this year (Thornton's contract comes off the books). I really think how this season plays out in SJ will determine if EK sign there, long term.

We'll see...

I went to the Vegas/Arizona game on Sunday. Whitecloud, the prospect probably most likely to make the team didn't play, but I did see their top 3 prospects: Glass, Brannstrom, Hague.

They are not going to deal these guys so I would say Vegas is done trading. Glass played with Pacioretty and got 2 assists but he is still a kid and should be probably be sent back even though he is still too young to play in the AHL.

Pacioretty wore an A on the jersey along with Karlsson and Marchy but Pac was the only one without a helmet during warmups so it seems he might already be the leader of the team.

Hague is like 6'6 and played over 25 minutes and he looks like he is developing into a Pronger-like beast once he fills out that frame.

But my favorite of their prospects in Brannstrom; he could very well make the team. This kid is fun to watch, a defender only about 5'9 but he is a little bulldog who can skate like the wind. He was fairly quite then completely took the game over, drew 2 penalties and scored a PP goal in the final 5 minutes.

I actually like NHL exhibition games more than the regular season because you get to see the future, not like the NFL where you just watch scrubs who will be gone in a couple weeks.

I already got to tickets to the Avs game on Monday and am hoping they let Cale Makar play. This kid supposedly has the best wheels of any defender in the 2017 draft.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:42 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Alpha wrote:

We'll see...

I went to the Vegas/Arizona game on Sunday. Whitecloud, the prospect probably most likely to make the team didn't play, but I did see their top 3 prospects: Glass, Brannstrom, Hague.

They are not going to deal these guys so I would say Vegas is done trading. Glass played with Pacioretty and got 2 assists but he is still a kid and should be probably be sent back even though he is still too young to play in the AHL.

Pacioretty wore an A on the jersey along with Karlsson and Marchy but Pac was the only one without a helmet during warmups so it seems he might already be the leader of the team.

Hague is like 6'6 and played over 25 minutes and he looks like he is developing into a Pronger-like beast once he fills out that frame.

But my favorite of their prospects in Brannstrom; he could very well make the team. This kid is fun to watch, a defender only about 5'9 but he is a little bulldog who can skate like the wind. He was fairly quite then completely took the game over, drew 2 penalties and scored a PP goal in the final 5 minutes.

I actually like NHL exhibition games more than the regular season because you get to see the future, not like the NFL where you just watch scrubs who will be gone in a couple weeks.

I already got to tickets to the Avs game on Monday and am hoping they let Cale Makar play. This kid supposedly has the best wheels of any defender in the 2017 draft.

Pretty cool. The ONLY LV prospect I'm familiar with is Glass...but the way the NHL has set up the expansion process, Vegas is gonna be loaded for YEARS to come. Same with Seattle, after next year.

I just wish the Lightning had been afforded the same opportunity when they came aboard.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:34 am

You will be hearing about this kid. Erik Brannstrom, he was picked 15th overall right behind Cal Foote and played for HV 71 in the SHL last year.

He scored again tonight and has 4 points in 2 games. You know they would probably prefer to have his ELC slide another year but he might be too good. I think he is going to make the team.

It will be interesting to see who has the better career between him and Foote. I wish I could see Tampa exhibition games out here so I can get a look at the young Bolts.

I’m betting teams learned from what happened with Vegas. I think you won’t see Seattle come away with so many draft picks and prospects because so many teams got too cute last time and got fleeced. This time there probably won’t be so many side deals to protect players.

I think teams will just say take one of our guys and be done with it. Vegas rolled both Florida and Minnesota so those teams especially won’t be up for any wheeling and dealing I bet.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:51 pm

Brazen331 wrote:You will be hearing about this kid. Erik Brannstrom, he was picked 15th overall right behind Cal Foote and played for HV 71 in the SHL last year.

He scored again tonight and has 4 points in 2 games. You know they would probably prefer to have his ELC slide another year but he might be too good. I think he is going to make the team.

It will be interesting to see who has the better career between him and Foote. I wish I could see Tampa exhibition games out here so I can get a look at the young Bolts.

I’m betting teams learned from what happened with Vegas. I think you won’t see Seattle come away with so many draft picks and prospects because so many teams got too cute last time and got fleeced. This time there probably won’t be so many side deals to protect players.

I think teams will just say take one of our guys and be done with it. Vegas rolled both Florida and Minnesota so those teams especially won’t be up for any wheeling and dealing I bet.

I didn't get a chance to watch the Lightning opener last night but I'll be watching toninght.

The Bolts are notorious for letting there guys simmer in the AHL instead of bringing them up quickly...unless they just play too well to be ignored (Brayden Point as an example). Early word is that the Bolts, if they bring anyone up this year, it's most likely to be Volkov and/or Mathieu Joseph and one of their defensemen NOT named Cal Foote. Masin or Cernak...MAYBE. EDIT...it looks like Masin is the D-man who is getting the playing time...

Interestingly, I saw the box score from last night's game. On their PP goal...it was Joseph with an assist from Raddysh. Raddyish is gonna be a beast but he's probably a year or two away.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:00 am

Anyone know anything about this Martel guy? Seems like an odd waiver claim for the Bolts to make.
Brazen331

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:48 pm

Hurricanes to bring back Whalers uniforms for 2 games
Phantom Phenom

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:00 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Hurricanes to bring back Whalers uniforms for 2 games

They should bring them back permanently, replace the worst uniform currently with one of the best in history IMO.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:14 am

Brazen331 wrote:Anyone know anything about this Martel guy? Seems like an odd waiver claim for the Bolts to make.

From what I've heard, another Yanni Gourde-type guy.

Noticed M. Joseph and Volkov combined for 3 goals tonight.

Here come the kids...and there are more waiting in Syracuse.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:40 am

When is Wilson going to be made an example of?

I like him. I wish the Bolts had him...but this is 4 TIMES in the last calendar year! And this latest was CLEARLY a shot to the head. It was intentional. It was flagrant.

This **** has been legislated out of the NHL. This isn't 20 years ago. Have they learned NOTHING from the NFL?

He deserves 20 games. MINIMUM. He clearly hasn't learned his lesson. He is TOO TALENTED for this. This "slap on the hand" bullshit isn't getting through to him.

Nothing will, unless he (and his team) feel some pain.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:40 pm

Alpha wrote:He deserves 20 games. MINIMUM. He clearly hasn't learned his lesson. He is TOO TALENTED for this. This "slap on the hand" bullshit isn't getting through to him.

Bada-Bing!

20 games for Wilson.

His fuckery has cost his team 1/4 of the year.

It's unfortunate but the league has been moving in this direction for YEARS and he has been given FAR MORE than enough rope. He can still be an ntimidating presence AND hit cleanly. This last one was a CRYSTAL CLEAR shot to the head, in the middle of the ice. 20 years ago, it's on the other skater to "keep his head up"...but it's different now.

This is it for Wilson. The next one probably costs him a full YEAR.

Now, it's time for The Rat Marchand to get himself 20 games for his bullshit.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Alpha wrote:
Alpha wrote:He deserves 20 games. MINIMUM. He clearly hasn't learned his lesson. He is TOO TALENTED for this. This "slap on the hand" bullshit isn't getting through to him.

Bada-Bing!

20 games for Wilson.

It's unfortunate but the league has been moving in this direction for YEARS and he has been given FAR MORE than enough rope. He can still be an ntimidating presence AND hit cleanly. This last one was a CRYSTAL CLEAR shot to the head, in the middle of the ice. 20 years ago, it's on the other skater to "keep his head up"...but it's different now.

POS is playing for free now this year ... wish somebody would **** his **** up
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:07 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Alpha wrote:
Bada-Bing!

20 games for Wilson.

POS is playing for free now this year ... wish somebody would **** his **** up

I hope somebody goads him into getting himself suspended for the entire year.

That said...the Capitals have taken the Bruins to the woodshed tonight.

They look damn good. Kind of like the defending Stanley Cup Champs.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:17 pm

Getting HYPED!

Took the night off for the opener. Tried to squeeze some tickets and couldn't make it happen. EVERYONE is going to this game.

GO BOLTS!!!!
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:45 pm

Bolts offense have looked rusty but have been getting faster as the game goes along. Having problems finishing. Kuch still looks injured.

FLA defense is LEGIT.

Vasy is standing on his head. Again.

I'd be BEYOND shocked if we get shut out tonight.

Thank God HOCKEY SEASON IS ON!!!!
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:10 pm

Looking rusty for sure , still could pull this one out
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:14 pm

Outshot 11-1 so far in the 3rd.

Terrible.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:16 pm

It doesn't help that the Bolts have spent the entire 3rd in the penalty box.

On the flip side...the PK seems to be better than last year. So far.

Aaaand here we go again. Back in the box.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:20 pm

Never mind.

1-1

Short handed. LMAO!
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:46 pm

3 on 3 is fricken awesome tho
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks Vasy ! Kuch has a deadly wrist shot
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:58 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:3 on 3 is fricken awesome tho

Fo' Sho'.

Vasy is a MONSTER!
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:24 pm

They played fundamentally sound for their season opener. Great game. Defense was on point for the SOG panthers had.
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:25 am

SixStringSamurai wrote:They played fundamentally sound for their season opener. Great game. Defense was on point for the SOG panthers had.

Exactly.

Nice to see the PK show up.

Our D was 28th in the league last year.

I don't mind a top 15 offense (as opposed to top 3)...as long as our D is better.

Our offense will be fine. Our D (and VASY), were the stars tonight.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:25 am

Hmmm...

I don't seriously gamble any longer but one of my bartners ( a person I bartend with), does.

He asked me what I thought of tonight's game (before the game, in a wagering sense) and I asked him what the money line on VAN was. Turns out, it was VAN +240.

I told him, if I were going to play it, I'd take that bet. That's betting $100 to win $240. In short...the Bolts were a HARD favorite.

He passed because he REALLY wanted the Lightning to win.

Obviously, I was working tonight and saw only a handful of the game but this is what I learned from the game against FLA...and it's played out again tonight:

As opposed to last year, our offense is a work in progress. Teams learned a LOT about us from last year. On the PP and 5v5. Teams are gonna play us differently from last year. And we're gonna have to adjust. We have the talent to do it. It will happen. It just might take some time to adjust.

The other thing I took from this game...and the FLA game...was that our defense is playing MUCH better. Especially on the PK. That is promising.

Our break is over. We're going to be playing a LOT for the next couple of weeks. I'm curious as to how this team develops. In all honesty, I would've preferred promoting more players and letting them grow THIS YEAR but we've decided to roll with the same team from last year (essentially).

Should be fun. Stay tuned.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:55 am

Welcome to the regular season.

Why do I get the feeling the Lightning are gonna muddle along all season, end up making the playoffs as a 4 or 5 seed and end up as the team that "Nobody Wants to Play", come playoff time?

There was a fair amount of puck luck tonight but they just took a damn good team (CBJ) to the woodshed tonight. There aren't a lot of teams that are capable of hanging 8 on Columbus.

And if Killorn and Pacquette are gonna be scoring this year...that's scary.

D is playing well and it appears that they've figured out how to kill penalties. Finally.

Oh...and Vasy is still a God.

That is all.
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Great game tonight. Domingue came in the clutch and didn’t give up a power play goal.

I wish we would stop passing the puck so damn much and take chances but I’m okay with them being precise with the puck and being a pass first kind of offense.
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:41 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:Great game tonight. Domingue came in the clutch and didn’t give up a power play goal.

I wish we would stop passing the puck so damn much and take chances but I’m okay with them being precise with the puck and being a pass first kind of offense.

I really thought that FLA would be the team to take that next step and make a serious playoff push. It's still too early in the year but Carolina looks legit to me. Their defense has ALWAYS been top notch and now their kids are stepping up. I was VERY impressed with that team. Fast and aggressive. They'll end up being a 7 or 8 seed and getting bounced in the first round...but they've arrived. Kind of like NJ last year.

There are a LOT of positives for Tampa. The defense is STRONG...against a very good team. STILL no PP goals allowed. Goaltending is damn strong as well. Domingue played a great game. .950 save %. That doesn't suck.

3-1.

And Stamkos and Kuch aren't gonna keep sucking all year. There is an embarrassment of riches on offense, for this team. When the offense starts really clicking, look out.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:57 am

team looked impressive, Carolina is a fast team and looked alot like us in the transition game.
Jason Bourne

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports