***OFFICIAL NBA 2018 OFF-SEASON THREAD***

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL NBA 2018 OFF-SEASON THREAD***

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:46 am

Even Art Modell only left Cleveland once
Zarniwoop

Postby SIBucsFan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:11 am

Not surprised with LeBron to LA. I think he's trying to get more involved in Hollywood and sees that as his next career.
SIBucsFan

Postby NYBF » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:34 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Swashy wrote:Wouldn't it be crazy if the Magic actually went out and signed someone worth a **** at point guard since we missed out in the 1st round of the draft?

He did. Lebron.

:?
NYBF

Postby Super K » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:11 pm

Cousins to the Warriors for $5mill?!...

Oh **** this **** man...
Super K

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:26 pm

Congratulation to 2019 NBA champion Golden State!!!
Phantom Phenom

Postby Swashy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:29 pm

Super K wrote:Cousins to the Warriors for $5mill?!...

Oh **** this **** man...

There is literally no point.

The super team crisis has reached critical mass now. It's soon going to reach a point where Commissioner Silver and the NBA are going to have to take some kind of measures to promote even the slightest amount of competitive balance.
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:30 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Conglaturation to 2019 NBA champion Golden State!!! A WINNER IS YOU!

FIFY
Swashy

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:41 pm

Swashy wrote:
Super K wrote:Cousins to the Warriors for $5mill?!...

Oh **** this **** man...

The super team crisis has reached critical mass now. It's soon going to reach a point where Commissioner Silver and the NBA are going to have to take some kind of measures to promote even the slightest amount of competitive balance.

He signed a 5 million dollar contract. If a star wants to play for less money, how would you ever prevent that?

The Warriors were built through the draft and then Durant joined for less money, Cousins is basically playing for free considering he had 20+ million dollar offers.

Unless you want the league to veto signings, this can't be prevented.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:29 pm

The league or the Commissioner already has veto powers. Remember the Chris Paul to Lakers trade was vetoed about 7 years ago?
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:35 pm

Cousins tore his Achilles tendon in January. So to me this is just a 1 year thing for him to prove he can come back to a high level of play and potentially win a ring. Then next offseason he will sign a max deal with some other team. $5mil? Please. It's so obvious what this is.
Bootz2004

Postby Swashy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:24 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Swashy wrote:

He signed a 5 million dollar contract. If a star wants to play for less money, how would you ever prevent that?

The Warriors were built through the draft and then Durant joined for less money, Cousins is basically playing for free considering he had 20+ million dollar offers.

Unless you want the league to veto signings, this can't be prevented.

Well I hope you didn't think that I was implying anything ethical. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the NBA fanbase will not become apathetic like I think it will. This isn't merely cherished antiquity of Lakers/Boston making the NBA its bitch for 20 years this is literally people like Cousins saying "**** it easy ring" while markets like New Orleans bang their heads into the wall wondering whenever the hell they're going to get a turn -if ever after having their best season in nearly 10 years. This isn't nothing new but by the looks of today's modern sports fan they aren't the type who is going to put up with **** like that for very long.
Swashy

Postby Konatown » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:52 am

NBA is a joke. Only 4-5 teams worth a damn and the rest are bottom dwellers. Congrats to the Warriors for their 2019 championship, I know I won’t be watching any full games next year.

Signed, hater (closet Magic fan)
Konatown

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:23 am

what the ****

I'm so disappointed in today's NBA players. Literally taking the "if you can't beat em, join em" route. Say what you will about James Harden but he wanted his own team instead of playing third fiddle to Durant/Westbrook. I can't believe a guy as talented as Durant wanted to play under someone else (Curry). Cousins could have signed anywhere for that cheap and he chose GSW. Just give them the ring and let's be done with it.
Deuce

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:28 am

Deuce wrote:what the ****

I'm so disappointed in today's NBA players. Literally taking the "if you can't beat em, join em" route. Say what you will about James Harden but he wanted his own team instead of playing third fiddle to Durant/Westbrook. I can't believe a guy as talented as Durant wanted to play under someone else (Curry). Cousins could have signed anywhere for that cheap and he chose GSW. Just give them the ring and let's be done with it.

Wrong. You should read up on the situation. No other team wanted anything to do with Cousins because of the Achilles injury. He had no other offers. Not 1. Are you suggesting he should've sat at home and did nothing this season?
Bootz2004

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:41 am

Harden was traded. He wanted more money from OKC, but they decided to pay Ibaka instead.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:42 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Wrong. You should read up on the situation. No other team wanted anything to do with Cousins because of the Achilles injury. He had no other offers. Not 1. Are you suggesting he should've sat at home and did nothing this season?

https://twitter.com/WillGuillory/status ... 7724363776

YOU should read up on the situation.
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:45 am

Deuce wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Cousins and his agent said the Pelicans didn't make an offer as they wanted to test FA first.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:47 am

uscbucsfan wrote:

Harden was traded. He wanted more money from OKC, but they decided to pay Ibaka instead.

And he's signed 2-3 extensions to stay in Houston through 2023.
Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:52 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Cousins and his agent said the Pelicans didn't make an offer as they wanted to test FA first.

If you think this is the most money he could've gotten, you are extremely naive. Rudy Gay got $8.4 million coming off of an achilles injury.
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:57 am

Deuce wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Harden was traded. He wanted more money from OKC, but they decided to pay Ibaka instead.

It's disingenuous to say he didn't want to stay with Westbrook and Durant, because he did.

You think Houston was terrible Harden wouldn't leave? Chris Paul certainly wouldn't have gone there if they didn't have a great team.

Regarding Cousins, according to Golic and Wingo he didn't receive 1 offer on day 1 of FA, from anyone. So he reached out to the Warriors and requested to play with them.

Of course he would have gotten more money (not a lot more), but he wants to win a ring and prove himself for a year. I'm not a fan of the Warriors getting better, but I'm not going to hate on a player that values winning over money. Especially if he wins there and is healthy, he'll be able to get 30+ million per year next year. He's gambling on himself.

Edit: plus I think Cousins will be the downfall of the Warriors in the long run. It'll be fun to watch.

Marc Spears just confirmed that no team offered Cousins a contract. He called GSW and offered to take the MLE.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:08 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Deuce wrote:

It's disingenuous to say he didn't want to stay with Westbrook and Durant, because he did.

You think Houston was terrible Harden wouldn't leave? Chris Paul certainly wouldn't have gone there if they didn't have a great team.

Regarding Cousins, according to Mike and Mike he didn't receive 1 offer on day 1 of FA, from anyone. So he reached out to the Warriors and requested to play with them.

Of course he would have gotten more money (not a lot more), but he wants to win a ring and prove himself for a year. I'm not a fan of the Warriors getting better, but I'm not going to hate on a player that values winning over money. Especially if he wins there and is healthy, he'll be able to get 30+ million per year next year. He's gambling on himself.

Edit: plus I think Cousins will be the downfall of the Warriors in the long run. It'll be fun to watch.

Was OKC terrible when Durant left? Boogie just left, was NOP terrible last year? I'm not sure what your point is.

It seems like Cousins wanted the max. No one was giving him the max, so he joined GSW so he can take his time, recover, play 6-7th banana and win a ring. The rest of the league should hate GSW but there are too many guys taking the easy route and just joining them to get their ring. There's even video going around of Cousins yelling "**** Golden State" to a GSW fan last year.

I hope you enjoy LeBron cause it doesn't mean **** with this GSW team.
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:14 am

Deuce wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Regarding Cousins, according to Mike and Mike he didn't receive 1 offer on day 1 of FA, from anyone. So he reached out to the Warriors and requested to play with them.

Was OKC terrible when Durant left? Boogie just left, was NOP terrible last year? I'm not sure what your point is.

It seems like Cousins wanted the max. No one was giving him the max, so he joined GSW so he can take his time, recover, play 6-7th banana and win a ring. The rest of the league should hate GSW but there are too many guys taking the easy route and just joining them to get their ring. There's even video going around of Cousins yelling "**** Golden State" to a GSW fan last year.

I hope you enjoy LeBron cause it doesn't mean **** with this GSW team.

I was shocked at first, but now a bit worried getting LeBron. The players that reportedly he's bringing in don't make sense. Rondo, McGee, and Stephenson. They are all 1 year deals, but I hope we don't end up dumping all of our young talent and picks for older players like the Cavs have been doing.

I don't get how Rondo and Ball go together on a team, especially because neither can shoot. LeBron needs shooters.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:19 am

Deuce wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

My point was Harden was in a great situation on a great team. He's not any more nobel or respectable. He would have stayed with Durant and Westbrook if he could have.

Durant didn't want to play with Westbrook anymore and Cousins, depending on what you believe, wasn't made an offer by NO.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:35 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Deuce wrote:

My point was Harden was in a great situation on a great team. He's not any more nobel or respectable. He would have stayed with Durant and Westbrook if he could have.

Durant want to play with Westbrook anymore and Cousins, depending on what you believe, wasn't made an offer by NO.

Harden wanted the max. There's a quote somewhere where he said something along the lines of "I was already sacrificing a lot with my playing time. I wasn't going to sacrifice money, too." To me, that sounds like someone who wants more playing time and no 6th man was going to get paid the max. Houston was 9th in the West the year before we got him. Before playing a season for Houston, he signed a 5 year contract. Since then, he's signed 2 or 3 extensions to stay. This wasn't some championship-ready team that just needed to plug him in, he basically has been the team since he got there. That sounds infinitely more noble than Durant, who left his championship-caliber team to join the team that beat them the prior year and had just won 73 games.

According to Guillory (who's an NO writer and NBA season award voter), the team and Cousins talked and they told him what they would offer, which was more than he got with GSW. So I guess it depends if you believe the team or Cousins and his agent. Like I said, Rudy Gay got $8.4 million coming off of an achilles injury. If you believe the best Cousins could do is $5 million, you are naive.
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:53 am

Deuce wrote: If you believe the best Cousins could do is $5 million, you are naive.

Why do you keep repeating this?

I've said twice he would have gotten more, but not likely a lot more. He valued winning over potentially $5+ million additional.

I do believe that NO didn't make him an official offer, maybe they discussed a potential range, but him and his agent coming out and saying he was offended they didn't give him an offer is too easily disputable to not believe.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:58 am

From what I read at ESPN, because of the dynamics of cap space this year and how it jumps again next year, the best he was looking at was $8M and he may not have even gotten that. I find that hard to believe personally but that’s the scenario they laid out. Him play one year on the cheap then get a big pay day. If I was him (and $8 was his max) I’d go to GS too
Zarniwoop

Postby Swashy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:00 am

Well I think everyone has made my point for me through expressing discontent better than I ever could speculating it.

FWIW it's easy to say all this when being a Laker fan is literally the easiest job in all pro sports. These 5 years is the longest single period of unsustained success in team history. But no biggie cuz LeBron muthafuckin James tho. Freedom of choice is all the rage for people who wear purple and yellow.

So I guess all teams had to do was clear cap to sign him. Why didn't the rest of the league think of that?? There is no reason. Cuz LA. Not because Magic Johnson is good at his job. His super team is literally coming to him without lifting a finger.

I'm sticking with my prediction. NBA fans will develop apathy. This is not the 90s where you had teams stayed together to try to slay the dragon. Now if you can't beat em join em. Otherwise the other fans who had to wait for Kobe to retire just got fucked watching LeBron bring their never ending nightmare back to life
Swashy

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:09 am

LA and Boston have always had a leg up due to their city/history. It's why players like Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, or Miken signed there. It's why Malone, Peyton, or Atrest went there for less in attempts to get a ring.

I get why some fans are upset, but if you look through history of the league, this is normal. GSW doesn't even have the most stacked team in history as far as all stars. The 76 Celtics had 6.

GSW will likely break up in the next two years when Durant, Klay, and Draymond look for new contracts, but there will be new super teams.

Edit: Lakers and Celtics have 33 of 70 NBA titles. That's pretty insane.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:18 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Deuce wrote: If you believe the best Cousins could do is $5 million, you are naive.

Why do you keep repeating this?

I've said twice he would have gotten more, but not likely a lot more. He valued winning over potentially $5+ million additional.

I do believe that NO didn't make him an official offer, maybe they discussed a potential range, but him and his agent coming out and saying he was offended they didn't give him an offer is too easily disputable to not believe.

It's too easily disputable to not believe? What does that even mean? It's being disputed lol Cousins and his agent are putting this "no one wanted me" narrative out there in an attempt to deflect some of the backlash, when he took less money than he could've gotten elsewhere to join GSW. We're 3 days into free agency.
Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:23 am

Swashy wrote:Well I think everyone has made my point for me through expressing discontent better than I ever could speculating it.

FWIW it's easy to say all this when being a Laker fan is literally the easiest job in all pro sports. These 5 years is the longest single period of unsustained success in team history. But no biggie cuz LeBron muthafuckin James tho. Freedom of choice is all the rage for people who wear purple and yellow.

So I guess all teams had to do was clear cap to sign him. Why didn't the rest of the league think of that?? There is no reason. Cuz LA. Not because Magic Johnson is good at his job. His super team is literally coming to him without lifting a finger.

I'm sticking with my prediction. NBA fans will develop apathy. This is not the 90s where you had teams stayed together to try to slay the dragon. Now if you can't beat em join em. Otherwise the other fans who had to wait for Kobe to retire just got fucked watching LeBron bring their never ending nightmare back to life

Your post is on point, except no one sees LeBron as the bad guy anymore, it's all GSW. People hated them when they won 73 games but the Durant thing took it to another level. This Boogie signing is adding on to it.
Deuce

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports