***OFFICIAL NBA 2018 OFF-SEASON THREAD***

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL NBA 2018 OFF-SEASON THREAD***

Postby NYBF » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:47 am

Super K wrote:So I saw something posted on Twitter that really summed up this "super team" dilemma pretty well..

Vegas has given the Cleveland Browns better odds to win the SB than 24 NBA teams to win the championship...

That's craziness...

The problem is, Vegas doesn't care about who actually wins. Their numbers are set in order to attract the most action.
NYBF

Postby Deuce » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:03 am

NYBF wrote:
Super K wrote:So I saw something posted on Twitter that really summed up this "super team" dilemma pretty well..

Vegas has given the Cleveland Browns better odds to win the SB than 24 NBA teams to win the championship...

That's craziness...

The problem is, Vegas doesn't care about who actually wins. Their numbers are set in order to attract the most action.

Kind of a semantics argument here...are you saying there isn't a huge talent imbalance in the NBA?
Deuce

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:32 am

Deuce wrote:
NYBF wrote:

Kind of a semantics argument here...are you saying there isn't a huge talent imbalance in the NBA?

There might be but it's not to the extent that people are saying. This "super team" theory doesn't apply to every team in the same way. The Warriors are a Super team because they drafted and developed well then supplemented with a top free agent. The Heat of 11'-15- were a super team built almost exclusively thru free agency and trades. Who else is a "Super team"? The term has been lazily used to describe any team with more than 1 elite level player no matter how the team acquired said player.
Bootz2004

Postby NYBF » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:41 am

Deuce wrote:
NYBF wrote:

What I'm saying is Vegas odds are not indicative of anything other than what the oddsmakers think will get the most action on both sides of the number.
NYBF

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:38 am

As a casual fan, I can't decide if I detest the current state of the NBA or love it
beardmcdoug

Postby Deuce » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:11 am

beardmcdoug wrote:As a casual fan, I can't decide if I detest the current state of the NBA or love it

I can't imagine being a fan of a team like, say, the Magic. Or really, any team outside of Golden State, Houston, the Lakers (potentially), Philly, or Boston. What they do has no effect on anything. A few teams like Toronto have a chance of the second round of the playoffs, I guess that's fun but their absolute ceiling would be making the Finals to get swept by GSW. Even as a "superteam" (HOU) fan, I'm starting to feel like we should all wait until 2021 (hopefully) to have a chance. I guess we're at least a Durant or Curry injury away.

It's also weird not caring about huge chunks of the season. I'd look at the schedule and see ORL, WAS, MIN, DAL and just think "oh, no good games this week". I also got bored of our first-round playoff series pretty quickly.
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:13 pm

Not to make things even worse, but...

Damian Lillard wants to go to LA or NY if the Blazers can't add another significant player per Stephen A. Smith.
uscbucsfan

Postby Swashy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:30 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:Not to make things even worse, but...

Damian Lillard wants to go to LA or NY if the Blazers can't add another significant player per Stephen A. Smith.

LA I get but NY? The ****??
Swashy

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:33 pm

Swashy wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Not to make things even worse, but...

LA I get but NY? The ****??

There's a rumor that Kyrie is recruiting people to go there. The original rumor is Kyrie and Jimmy Butler.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:36 am

Kawhi no longer wants to go to the Lakers as he doesn't want to play with Lebron according to Michael Wright.

Shitty.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:33 am

https://imgur.com/z3rJelF

2016 All-Star Game photo

Pretty weird how everyone is with their future teammates.
Deuce

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:18 pm

Hello Lakers?

Sources: Thunder, Carmelo Anthony to part ways this summer
Phantom Phenom

Postby acmillis » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:45 pm

Carmelo is and has been hot garbage for a loooong time. Anybody willing to pay him anything more than a couple Ms is investing in a name, not a capable basketball player.
acmillis

Postby Swashy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:33 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:Kawhi no longer wants to go to the Lakers as he doesn't want to play with Lebron according to Michael Wright.

Shitty.

LOL! Wow that's something else
Swashy

Postby Super K » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:30 pm

acmillis wrote:Carmelo is and has been hot garbage for a loooong time. Anybody willing to pay him anything more than a couple Ms is investing in a name, not a capable basketball player.

Knicks fan here...and I couldn't agree more...
Super K

Postby Swashy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:08 pm

What are the odds he tries to recruit Lillard and Leonard to NY?
Swashy

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:17 pm

I don't think Leonard wants to play with Melo, Kyrie, and Lillard and I don't think the Knicks want Melo back.
uscbucsfan

Postby Swashy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:53 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I don't think Leonard wants to play with Melo, Kyrie, and Lillard and I don't think the Knicks want Melo back.

Well if recent developments give us any clue he is running out of choices unless he wants to go to the Clippers. Maybe Boston is the last best choice for him
Swashy

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:29 am

Man, the Rockets have lost Ariza and Mbah a Moute now. One of the reasons they won so many games and were able to compete with the Warriors was defense and it's taken a big hit.

It looks like they might sign Melo...not sure how I feel about that yet.
Deuce

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Deuce wrote:Man, the Rockets have lost Ariza and Mbah a Moute now. One of the reasons they won so many games and were able to compete with the Warriors was defense and it's taken a big hit.

You shouldn’t be happy about Melo. He will hurt the Rockets defensively and offensively he just isn’t the dominant player he once was.
PrimeMinister

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:26 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Deuce wrote:Man, the Rockets have lost Ariza and Mbah a Moute now. One of the reasons they won so many games and were able to compete with the Warriors was defense and it's taken a big hit.

You shouldn’t be happy about Melo. He will hurt the Rockets defensively and offensively he just isn’t the dominant player he once was.

With Paul, Harden, and Gordon we have enough creators on offense. Melo has shown in the past (Team USA) he can be a really good catch-and-shoot guy, so in that regard he could be better than Ariza. On defense, we're just gonna have to accept that we've taken a step back unless we make other moves.

If Capela leaves, I'll be devastated. That being said, the Rockets shouldn't pay him 4yrs/100mil.
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Anthony wasn't bad as a catch and shoot player on the Thunder. He has stated after last season that he doesn't want to be a catch and shoot player on multiple occasions;

"I don't think I can be effective as that type of player," Anthony said. "I think I was willing to accept that challenge in that role, but I think I bring a little bit more to the game as far as being more knowledgeable and what I still can do as a basketball player."

He also said he would not be willing to come off the bench.

Maybe the allure of playing with his friend, CP3, will change his position. I think he could still be dangerous, especially if you could talk him into anchoring the 2nd unit.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:35 am

Sources are reporting the Spurs and Rapters are finalizing a trade deal with a package including DeRozan for Leonard. Leonard has stated he would not re-sign there next year. Looks like the Raptors are hopin to win him over like OKC did with Paul George.
uscbucsfan

Postby Konatown » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:56 am

uscbucsfan wrote:Sources are reporting the Spurs and Rapters are finalizing a trade deal with a package including DeRozan for Leonard. Leonard has stated he would not re-sign there next year. Looks like the Raptors are hopin to win him over like OKC did with Paul George.

Yea I don’t get it for Toronto, unless they wanted to get DeRozan off the books. Looks like a big FU from poppovich and Co. to Leonard.
Konatown

Postby acmillis » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:14 am

Konatown wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Sources are reporting the Spurs and Rapters are finalizing a trade deal with a package including DeRozan for Leonard. Leonard has stated he would not re-sign there next year. Looks like the Raptors are hopin to win him over like OKC did with Paul George.

Yea I don’t get it for Toronto, unless they wanted to get DeRozan off the books. Looks like a big FU from poppovich and Co. to Leonard.

If you're SAS, you ahve to trade him for basically anything. Getting DeRozan, a second-team all NBA player, for three years and a late first round pick along with some other dude...you gotta do that.

I don't get why TOR would make that trade. You're not going to win the east and even if you do, you're not winning beating whoever makes it out of the West.

But then again...the same could be said no matter who is on that TOR team next season.
acmillis

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:03 am

acmillis wrote:
Konatown wrote:Yea I don’t get it for Toronto, unless they wanted to get DeRozan off the books. Looks like a big FU from poppovich and Co. to Leonard.

If you're SAS, you ahve to trade him for basically anything. Getting DeRozan, a second-team all NBA player, for three years and a late first round pick along with some other dude...you gotta do that.

I don't get why TOR would make that trade. You're not going to win the east and even if you do, you're not winning beating whoever makes it out of the West.

But then again...the same could be said no matter who is on that TOR team next season.

Depending on your view, Leonard is as high as the 2nd best player in the league...at worst, when healthy, he's in the top 5. DeRozan is not close to that. I guess if they feel like they can convince him, that's a win, but rumor is he's told Toronto there is no chance he will stay.

Even though DeRozan says he's not happy about going to SA, they have him under contract. I think I would have pushed for Ingram, Hart, and a pick that the Lakers were rumored to offer.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:24 am

acmillis wrote:
Konatown wrote:Yea I don’t get it for Toronto, unless they wanted to get DeRozan off the books. Looks like a big FU from poppovich and Co. to Leonard.

SAS should be ecstatic right now. They got Derozan, Poeltl and a first for basically nothing. Kawhi wasn't going to play for them again.

I think TOR was just looking to shake things up. The same reason that they fired COY Dwayne Casey. Overall, they could improve marginally IF Kawhi plays and IF he returns to 2016 form. I'm doubtful. I think by shaking things up they hurt their franchise in the long run.
Deuce

Postby Super K » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:12 am

I think it's hilarious that Pop and Co. shipped Leonard's ass over to Canada...I like the message more than the move...

Doesn't really do anything for Toronto, but who really cares...they're Toronto...
Super K

Postby acmillis » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:40 am

Super K wrote:I think it's hilarious that Pop and Co. shipped Leonard's ass over to Canada...I like the message more than the move...

Doesn't really do anything for Toronto, but who really cares...they're Toronto...

Pop doesn't strike me as a guy to hold a grudge. I don't think they "shipped him off" in spite, I think Toronto gave them the best offer by a country mile.
acmillis

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:35 am

acmillis wrote:
Super K wrote:I think it's hilarious that Pop and Co. shipped Leonard's ass over to Canada...I like the message more than the move...

Pop doesn't strike me as a guy to hold a grudge. I don't think they "shipped him off" in spite, I think Toronto gave them the best offer by a country mile.

PLEASE! Pop absolutely strikes me as the type to hold a grudge and very candidly does at times.
Bootz2004

Previous

Return to Other Sports