Official 2018 World Cup Thread

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
post

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby NYBF » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:55 am

Neymar should have been booked for his flop in the box.
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 501 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:57 am

Yep everyone hates a flop in the box
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6393
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 323 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:15 am

Ratings down 44% in the US compared to the 2014 WC. Time zone and no USMNT are big factors.

Average game getting less than 2m viewers in the US thus far.

Interestingly even the spanish broadcasts in the US are down in viewership by a similar %.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13115
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 540 times
Been thanked: 566 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:53 am

DreadNaught wrote:Ratings down 44% in the US compared to the 2014 WC. Time zone and no USMNT are big factors.

Average game getting less than 2m viewers in the US thus far.

Interestingly even the spanish broadcasts in the US are down in viewership by a similar %.



I think a big reason ratings are down is USA team isn't in the tournament. I think we made it to at least the round of 16 in 2014
Jason Bourne
 
Posts: 4592
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:47 am
Location: Clearwater
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby sanka » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:39 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Ratings down 44% in the US compared to the 2014 WC. Time zone and no USMNT are big factors.

Average game getting less than 2m viewers in the US thus far.

Interestingly even the spanish broadcasts in the US are down in viewership by a similar %.

Nobody cares dude...the world doesn't revolve around almighty USA. This is arguably the best world cup since 1998 in France.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
User avatar
sanka
 
Posts: 3879
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:50 pm

sanka wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Ratings down 44% in the US compared to the 2014 WC. Time zone and no USMNT are big factors.

Average game getting less than 2m viewers in the US thus far.

Interestingly even the spanish broadcasts in the US are down in viewership by a similar %.

Nobody cares dude...the world doesn't revolve around almighty USA. This is arguably the best world cup since 1998 in France.


Dude did you hear about Winston ?
Jason Bourne
 
Posts: 4592
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:47 am
Location: Clearwater
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby sanka » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:39 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
sanka wrote:Nobody cares dude...the world doesn't revolve around almighty USA. This is arguably the best world cup since 1998 in France.


Dude did you hear about Winston ?

I did ...I am in World Cup mode. :birdiedoublered:
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
User avatar
sanka
 
Posts: 3879
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:06 am

sanka wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
Dude did you hear about Winston ?

I did ...I am in World Cup mode. :birdiedoublered:


Lol
Jason Bourne
 
Posts: 4592
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:47 am
Location: Clearwater
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:43 pm

We gonna see another defending champ go out in the group stage?
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6393
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 323 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby The Outsider » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:49 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:We gonna see another defending champ go out in the group stage?



Germany really, really needs to develop some fullbacks.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4343
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:52 pm

Yep that was a strength of theirs for so long
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6393
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 323 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby sanka » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:We gonna see another defending champ go out in the group stage?

I am telling you. Germany will regret not taking Leroy Sane, instead of relying on an aging squad. They think they can just turn it off and on.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
User avatar
sanka
 
Posts: 3879
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby sanka » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Die mannschaft never quit.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
User avatar
sanka
 
Posts: 3879
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby The Outsider » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:47 pm

I have no issue with the German team but man was I pissed to see them win. All credit to Kroos because that FK was absolutely stunning.

The stain on the match was that Boateng should have had a straight red in the 14th minute. He obviously tripped and pushed the player on a breakaway. Even if he didn't get carded it's insane that no penalty was given. I mean, it was the most obvious penalty I've ever seen.

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/bnyynv
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4343
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby The Outsider » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:27 pm

Well, ****. I didn't realize the Egyptian team was going to **** the bed this badly.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4343
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:06 pm

The Outsider wrote:Well, ****. I didn't realize the Egyptian team was going to **** the bed this badly.



All the teams from that region generally **** the bed. You kick them in the mouth and they immediately fold.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6393
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 323 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby sanka » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:45 pm

Tuesday is Messi's last world cup game.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
User avatar
sanka
 
Posts: 3879
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:55 pm

Round of 16!!!

**** you NYBF
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 4704
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:07 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:My picks:

Group A: Russia, Uruguay
Group B: Spain, Portugal
Group C: France, Denmark
Group D: Argentina, Croatia
Group E: Brazil, Serbia
Group F: Germany, Mexico
Group G: Belgium, England
Group H: Colombia, Japan



I know I"m going to jinx it...but I'm 8 for 8 so far :buttmoon:
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6393
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 323 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby NavyBuc » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:07 pm

sanka wrote:Tuesday is Messi's last world cup game.


Did he get suspended for the rest of the WC? I thought he has a game on Saturday vs. France?
NavyBuc
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby NavyBuc » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:09 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:My picks:

Group A: Russia, Uruguay
Group B: Spain, Portugal
Group C: France, Denmark
Group D: Argentina, Croatia
Group E: Brazil, Serbia
Group F: Germany, Mexico
Group G: Belgium, England
Group H: Colombia, Japan



I know I"m going to jinx it...but I'm 8 for 8 so far :buttmoon:


Group E may be your downfall. I think the Swiss get in. Outside of that, could be perfect. Not sure about Japan, though. Could come down to tiebreakers with them and Senegal. Group E should be fun tomorrow. Germany will try to win big and Sweden has chance to wreck things. Hoping for a Mexico and Germany win, setting up possibly Brazil-Germany in Round of 16.
NavyBuc
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:23 pm

You could very well be right
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6393
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 323 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby NYBF » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:50 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:Round of 16!!!

**** you NYBF


You can't even ignore properly.
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 501 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:11 am

Damn Germany,
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6393
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 323 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby NavyBuc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:32 am

They’re also celebrating in Brazil, England and Belgium as their paths got a little easier as Germany was likely to be in two of those teams’ way.
NavyBuc
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby sanka » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:38 am

Joachim Low's arrogant cost the Germans. I will never understand why he dropped Leroy Sane because he didn't fit his scheme. There is nothing wrong with more weapons in your Arsenal.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
User avatar
sanka
 
Posts: 3879
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby NavyBuc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:15 pm

For argument's sake, let's say Brazil wins Group E and Japan/Senegal win Group H. If you're England or Belgium, what do you do tomorrow night? Play to lose? Because if you lose, your path to the semis is Japan/Senegal and then Swiss/Sweden winner. If you win, your path is likely Colombia and then Brazil.

If that scenario sets up for tomorrow's game, I think you'll see a lot of subs play and both teams play it like a Week 17 game in football with a playoff seeding locked up.
NavyBuc
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby Heidguy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:31 pm

Damnit Deutschland!! Smh
Heidguy
 
Posts: 831
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:50 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:43 pm

NavyBuc wrote:For argument's sake, let's say Brazil wins Group E and Japan/Senegal win Group H. If you're England or Belgium, what do you do tomorrow night? Play to lose? Because if you lose, your path to the semis is Japan/Senegal and then Swiss/Sweden winner. If you win, your path is likely Colombia and then Brazil.

If that scenario sets up for tomorrow's game, I think you'll see a lot of subs play and both teams play it like a Week 17 game in football with a playoff seeding locked up.


I'm not a fan of losing on purpose. Tinkering with the line-up to give older players rest or take caution with guys on yellow cards is one thing....putting out an inferior line-up specifically to lose is a whole other thing.

In a tournament like this...I'm a big proponent of keeping hot streaks (and the confidence that comes with them) alive.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6393
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 323 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby NavyBuc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:37 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:For argument's sake, let's say Brazil wins Group E and Japan/Senegal win Group H. If you're England or Belgium, what do you do tomorrow night? Play to lose? Because if you lose, your path to the semis is Japan/Senegal and then Swiss/Sweden winner. If you win, your path is likely Colombia and then Brazil.

If that scenario sets up for tomorrow's game, I think you'll see a lot of subs play and both teams play it like a Week 17 game in football with a playoff seeding locked up.


I'm not a fan of losing on purpose. Tinkering with the line-up to give older players rest or take caution with guys on yellow cards is one thing....putting out an inferior line-up specifically to lose is a whole other thing.

In a tournament like this...I'm a big proponent of keeping hot streaks (and the confidence that comes with them) alive.


Yeah, I don't think you'll see a "lose on purpose" kind of thing. I do think you'll see a very boring game (France-Denmark like) where teams won't take chances and a lot of subs are played. It's a shame because I was looking so forward to this matchup and I highly doubt you're going to see these teams play very hard. Colombia winning the group tomorrow may change that a bit because that's a tough first round out for the team who loses.
NavyBuc
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 23 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Other Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests