Official 2018 World Cup Thread

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Postby The Outsider » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:58 pm

NYBF wrote:Wow... beautiful finish by Belgium.

Gotta hand it to Japan though. They played their asses off.
The Outsider

Postby SixStringSamurai » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:59 pm

Wow...Japan played way better than expected...Like to see them play like this more often especially when they don’t sit back and actually attack the ball. Congrats to Belgium
SixStringSamurai

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:05 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:Wow...Japan played way better than expected...Like to see them play like this more often especially when they don’t sit back and actually attack the ball. Congrats to Belgium

it reminded me of South Korea vs Germany in 2002. Japan, just like South Korea, played a great game of direct counter attacking and creative soccer. Ultimately though, they simply weren't tall enough or big enough...deadballs and crosses are always going to be their downfall.
Zarniwoop

Postby NavyBuc » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:21 pm

What a game! Best one of the WC so far. Almost ate my words with Belgium there. But they're such a talented team, I knew they had it in them to come back. Gotta give it to Japan. I think everyone, including Belgium, thought they were just going to play a defensive scheme and they played wide open and attacking soccer. Belgium has the scorers, though. Not sure they have the defense to slow down Brazil, but I also said four years ago I didn't think Germany would be able to keep up with Brazil's speed and look how that turned out. Gonna be a great game.
NavyBuc

Postby The Outsider » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:48 pm

NavyBuc wrote:What a game! Best one of the WC so far. Almost ate my words with Belgium there. But they're such a talented team, I knew they had it in them to come back. Gotta give it to Japan. I think everyone, including Belgium, thought they were just going to play a defensive scheme and they played wide open and attacking soccer. Belgium has the scorers, though. Not sure they have the defense to slow down Brazil, but I also said four years ago I didn't think Germany would be able to keep up with Brazil's speed and look how that turned out. Gonna be a great game.

I think England has a decent shot now. Their team is sneaky good. Solid pretty much everywhere and deep with goal scorers between Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Vardy, and Welbeck.
The Outsider

Postby Buc2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:14 am

I saw this posted on FB this morning and it reminded me of something I saw when I was in DC over the weekend.

Saturday afternoon, we went to a pub called Sticks near our hotel. Uruguay was playing Portugal on the TVs. I wasn't really paying much attention other than I had noted the score was 1-0 Uruguay at the time. The one time I actually paid attention, a flop occurred. A Portuguese player slightly hit a Uruguay player in the upper back area as both jumped to try and get their heads on a long pass. The Uruguay player flopped onto the ground holding the back of his head with a look of agony on his face. Replay's showed his head was never touched by the Portuguese player. Seems like anytime I pay attention to a soccer game anymore, similar crap happens. Is flopping really as common as the numerous jokes about it seem to make it out to be?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:24 am

It is certainly ingrained in some team’s cultures more so than others. Most South and Central American teams are notorious for it.

For other teams you hardly ever see it. For example yesterday watching Japan, I don’t then I saw a single instance of it the entire game from any of their players.

For the most part it hasn’t invaded the US team culture yet. We’ve had one or two players that would do it (Clint Dempsey, etc) but not very many
Zarniwoop

Postby acmillis » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:30 am

Zarniwoop wrote:It is certainly ingrained in some team’s cultures more so than others. Most South and Central American teams are notorious for it.

For other teams you hardly ever see it. For example yesterday watching Japan, I don’t then I saw a single instance of it the entire game from any of their players.

For the most part it hasn’t invaded the US team culture yet. We’ve had one or two players that would do it (Clint Dempsey, etc) but not very many

Maybe on the national team level, but if we're talking EPL of UCL, etc, it is rampant.
acmillis

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:32 am

Zarniwoop wrote:It is certainly ingrained in some team’s cultures more so than others. Most South and Central American teams are notorious for it.

As I've said in the past regarding the NBA, if it's rewarded, why wouldn't a player do it? It sucks as a fan to see, but I understand it.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:36 am

acmillis wrote:

Maybe on the national team level, but if we're talking EPL of UCL, etc, it is rampant.

I would say it’s pretty extensive there as well because of where lots of the players come from.

It stupid to generalize (because there are always exceptions) but I’m going to do it anyway cause I’m bored

Cultures that flop a lot
South American
Central American
Mediterranean

Medium
Most of Western Europe
Middle East
Africa

Flop the least
Asian
Eastern European
North American
Zarniwoop

Postby NavyBuc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:56 am

The Outsider wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:What a game! Best one of the WC so far. Almost ate my words with Belgium there. But they're such a talented team, I knew they had it in them to come back. Gotta give it to Japan. I think everyone, including Belgium, thought they were just going to play a defensive scheme and they played wide open and attacking soccer. Belgium has the scorers, though. Not sure they have the defense to slow down Brazil, but I also said four years ago I didn't think Germany would be able to keep up with Brazil's speed and look how that turned out. Gonna be a great game.

I think England has a decent shot now. Their team is sneaky good. Solid pretty much everywhere and deep with goal scorers between Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Vardy, and Welbeck.

Holding my breath on England. While I would love to see them make it to the final, especially since I'm going to be in England at the time of the WC Final, they've underachieved so much in past World Cups that I feel like it's a curse. They have no easy games. They're prolly better than Colombia and Sweden and possibly Croatia, but not by much. All those games can easily go the other way.
NavyBuc

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:28 am

agreed, i think its a toss-up for them.

i do think this english side is a whole lot more resilient than the ones in the past though
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:44 am

It’s a shame more teams and fans can’t be like this...neat story on the class of Japanese team and fans

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/japanese-t ... 35246.html
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:It’s a shame more teams and fans can’t be like this...neat story on the class of Japanese team and fans

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/japanese-t ... 35246.html

Nice. I'd love to see them set a precedent that was followed by fans all over the world in every sport. It certainly isn't hard to do. I've always thrown my own trash away after a game.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:42 pm

Colombia is a bunch of pansies ... shameful shameful so far
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Geez ... they are everything wrong with soccer
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:56 pm

I’m so glad England won
Zarniwoop

Postby NavyBuc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:07 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Colombia is a bunch of pansies ... shameful shameful so far

Agree. Just when I thought Brazil was the biggest cry-babies in soccer, Colombia comes and takes that title away. Every single call they were in the referee's face complaining. Even the announcers noticed it at the end of the game when they said, "Wow, Colombia's actually not contesting a call for a change."
NavyBuc

Postby The Outsider » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:14 pm

My general rule is if they speak spanish, portuguese, or italian the team dives.
The Outsider

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:23 pm

That’s a good take...I didn’t want to be called racist :P
Zarniwoop

Postby NYBF » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:33 pm

Mark geiger probably shouldn't work another tournament match as long as he lives.
NYBF

Postby Stuart » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:45 pm

NYBF wrote:Mark geiger probably shouldn't work another tournament match as long as he lives.

You should probably lick your taint more often
Stuart

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:27 pm

NYBF wrote:Mark geiger probably shouldn't work another tournament match as long as he lives.

He had an impossible task today, his mistake was treating the players like men
Zarniwoop

Postby NYBF » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:47 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:

Colombia should have had at LEAST two players sent off. His mistake was standing there and doing nothing while the players shoved him all over the pitch.
NYBF

Postby The Outsider » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:48 pm

NYBF wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

Colombia should have had at LEAST two players sent off. His mistake was standing there and doing nothing while the players shoved him all over the pitch.

That was preposterous. And without mentioning the Colombian coach throwing a shoulder/elbow in to Sterling on the way off the field at half time, right in front of the fourth official no less, and the fourth official just kind of gives him the ol' finger wag. Like, for **** sake, it's the Colombian strength coach or some ****. Send his ass to the stands.
The Outsider

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Belgium 2-0
Phantom Phenom

Postby NavyBuc » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:58 pm

Like I said on here a few days ago, all these announcers are fawning over France-Brazil and forgetting about Belgium. That's why. They can score and they have a hell of a keeper and that was on display today. What an absolute exhibition by Courtois.
NavyBuc

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:38 am

If Sweeden flops 1 more time I'll have to turn it off. Ever since they went down 2-0 they've been Brazil-like flopping.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:06 am

The second half was one of the most disjointed games I have seen in a while
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Come on Ruskies!!
Zarniwoop

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports