***OFFICIAL 2018 Tampa Bay Rays MLB Season Thread!***

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL 2018 Tampa Bay Rays MLB Season Thread!***

Postby NYBF » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:14 am

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2018 ... -spending/

The baseball players union is more than curious about why certain teams, such as the Rays, aren't spending more money.

So the union filed a grievance to Major League Baseball against four teams — the A's, Marlins, Pirates and Rays — claiming they have failed to comply with rules of how they spend their revenue sharing money, the Tampa Bay Times has learned.

Teams are required to spend their revenue-sharing money to improve the on-field product, according to terms of the collective bargaining agreement, though not necessarily on their major-league payroll.

The Rays are considered one of the biggest revenue-sharing recipients, getting what is believed to be about $45 million a year.

MLB responded with a statement to the Times: "We have received the grievance and believe it has no merit."

Union spokesman Chris Dahl confirmed this morning that a grievance had been filed Friday but offered no other details.

The complaint covers the 2017 season and the current offseason.

It is not clear what the result of the grievance could be even if the teams were found to be in the wrong, as the union wants some form of compensation for players that were not signed.

In January, the union notified the commissioner's office that it was concerned about what the Marlins and Pirates were doing and asked for answers.

"We have raised our concerns regarding both Miami and Pittsburgh with the Commissioner, as is the protocol under the collective bargaining agreement and its Revenue Sharing provisions," the union said in a statement, as reported by USA Today. "We are waiting to have further dialogue and that will dictate our next steps."

At the time, MLB responded in a statement to USA Today: "We do not have concerns about the Pirates' and Marlins' compliance with the Basic Agreement provisions regarding the use of revenue sharing proceeds. The Pirates have steadily increased their payroll over the years while at the same time decreasing their revenue sharing. The Marlins' ownership purchased a team that incurred substantial financial losses the prior two seasons, and even with revenue sharing and significant expense reduction, the team is projected to lose money in 2018. The Union has not informed us that it intends to file a grievance against either team."
NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 pm

Haven't seen a spring game yet and have paid sparse attention, but I guess what's left of the team is playing well so far.

Hope for something more than a complete shitshow this year?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Rocker » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:42 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Haven't seen a spring game yet and have paid sparse attention, but I guess what's left of the team is playing well so far.

Planning on clusterfuck, hoping for shitshow.
Rocker

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 pm

Rocker wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Haven't seen a spring game yet and have paid sparse attention, but I guess what's left of the team is playing well so far.

Planning on clusterfuck, hoping for shitshow.

So you're saying there's a chance the baseball can be good up until the all star break?

I can live with that. It'll be like 2000-2004 again.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Swashy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:29 am

I think Rocker means Hit Show
Swashy

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:48 am

So I trust you guys to keep me updated with the stadium stuff in this thread since I live in Philly now.

How come no one one has posted about the Ybor Stadium presser?
Ken Carson

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:36 am

Ken Carson wrote:So I trust you guys to keep me updated with the stadium stuff in this thread since I live in Philly now.

How come no one one has posted about the Ybor Stadium presser?

Picking/agreeing to a new stadium location in a good milestone, but until it's determined who much it costs and most importantly WHO is paying for it, it's all just ideas at this point.

Once Stu, MLB, and the local politicians figure that out they'll be a reason for some excitement. But there are alot of hurdles between now and then and I have my doubts this ends with the Rays playing in Ybor 5-10yrs from now.

The buzz down here for the Rays is pretty low. Maybe the lowest I ever remember tbh.
DreadNaught

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:03 am

Under Cash's plan, four pitchers will still work on regular rest, but instead of going with a regular starter on every fifth day, Cash said it will be a bullpen day and he'll have three or four relief pitchers go through the batting order once.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2267 ... 018-season
Phantom Phenom

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:34 am

So we don't have a guy who can be the 5th starter.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Teitan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:52 am

We’re to busy collecting all the mediocre middle infielders via trade. No time to trade for a mediocre 5th starter.
Teitan

Postby acmillis » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:17 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:
Under Cash's plan, four pitchers will still work on regular rest, but instead of going with a regular starter on every fifth day, Cash said it will be a bullpen day and he'll have 6 or 7 relief pitchers go through the batting order once.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2267 ... 018-season

FIFY
acmillis

Postby acmillis » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:45 am

Dan Jennings: Released
acmillis

Postby Nano » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:05 pm

Because why the **** not.

So we sold out our first game at the Trop this year....idk why anyone would support this bullshit team.
Nano

Postby Teitan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:29 pm

Nano wrote:Because why the **** not.

So we sold out our first game at the Trop this year....idk why anyone would support this bullshit team.

It’s because we play Boston. There will be more red jerseys there than blue.
Teitan

Postby NYBF » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:49 pm

Teitan wrote:

It’s because we play Boston. There will be more red jerseys there than blue.

I was going to ask if you guys are playing Boston or the Yanks.
NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:14 pm

**** Boston.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:56 am

Happy opening day!

NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:12 pm

an auspicious beginning
Mountaineer Buc

Postby acmillis » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:14 pm

Someone meme the guy pointing to his head and looking at the camera:

"you can't lose the game if you don't play the game"
acmillis

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:15 pm

acmillis wrote:Someone meme the guy pointing to his head and looking at the camera:

"you can't lose the game if you don't play the game"

DreadNaught

Postby Nano » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:02 pm

162-0 here we come!
Nano

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:19 pm

Every win against Boston feels like a series win. Even better when they ace blanks us for 7 innings and we don’t even face their closer. Sucker punch.
Ken Carson

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:18 am

Because unlike most of the fairweather fans on this board and in the TB area some people actually enjoy watching and supporting the team. Not just when they win.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:32 am

I think the inside the park HR is a harbinger of the season to come.

Will still watch as many games as I can tho.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Teitan » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:34 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I think the inside the park HR is a harbinger of the season to come.

Will still watch as many games as I can tho.

We’re always good for giving one of those up. And getting no-hit.
Teitan

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:23 am

Tampa Bay Rays President Brian Auld addressed the Suncoast Tiger Bay Club on Thursday, his first time in front of a St. Petersburg audience since the team announced its plans to move to Tampa.

In his remarks and in a conversation with the Tampa Bay Times after, Auld provided several new insights into the team's ballpark plans for Ybor City.

Will the Rays build a retractable roof like at Miller Park, the home of the Milwaukee Brewers?(AP Photo/Journal Times, Mark Hertzberg)
1. Whether the new ballpark has a retractable roof might be up to Tampa governments

One thing is certain: There will be a roof at the new ballpark. The heat, summer afternoon rains and lightning make it a necessity, Auld said.

But will it be fixed or retractable? The Rays are now making the case that might be in the best interest of the Tampa community for the roof to be retractable, and its application for baseball is secondary. Auld said it should be a "community decision."

"I do believe it has the most value in winter," Auld said. "If you want to host all sorts of outdoor festivals and events and concerts and bring people into town, and you think that's going to be great for tourism, then let's do a retractable roof. It'll be great for baseball, too, on the days we can use it."

It's not hard to see where this is going. If, supposedly, the greatest benefit of a retractable roof is for non-baseball events, that means that if the community wants it, they're likely going to have to pay for it. And community, of course, means Tampa and Hillsborough governments and taxpayers.

"I think it would be premature to say it comes out of one side or the other," Auld said. "Almost all of this will come a little bit out of both sides. But I think that's one of the important things to think about: What do you get out of a retractable roof stadium, not just for baseball, but 365 days out of the year?"

2. The new ballpark likely won't have an upper deck.

Tropicana Field's infamously empty upper deck has been a sore spot for years. In the years when they were open, rarely did anyone brave the lonely trek to the top. And with the highest rows covered by tarps, the stadium can still look half empty on well-attended games.

The Rays aren't interested in building a massive ballpark. They've talked about "right-sizing" the park to dimensions that they can realistically fill and still make money. It is unlikely in that scenario that the team will need an upper deck, Auld said, which is the most expensive part of a stadium to build that yields the least profitable returns.

"There will not be a what I would call a traditional upper deck that wraps around the field," Auld said. "Behind home plate, that's the best place to watch a game so some amount of verticality there is something we're looking into pretty deeply."

3. The Rays have some zany ideas for ballpark seating, but will MLB approve them?

As Auld put it, the Rays have "challenged our architects to completely throw out the old model." That means a 365-day ballpark that people can walk through at night while traveling from the Ybor bars to Channelside or stop and use the wifi with a cup of coffee during the day. A parent can take their kid there to play wiffle ball in the offseason. The training center can be a base for University of South Florida wellness program and the kitchens can hold culinary classes. They've even half-jokingly discussed a lazy river that circles the park's interior (okay, maybe three-quarters joking). The roof could be as iconic as the Sydney Opera House or have a bar deck.

But it's the ideas about ticketing and seating that are the most controversial, at least to Major League Baseball.

The team has toyed with selling tickets that get you into different parts of the stadium at different points of the game. Auld suggested three innings behind home plate, three innings in a suite and three innings at a play area with the kids. The team also wants to reinvent stadium seating, which has had virtually the same layout for most of the 20th and 21st century. Think, less people sitting in linear rows, more aisles and people clustered in seats around tables.

Auld said the team has shared these ideas with the league. "They're skeptical," he said.

It's not just a reticence to change. It may work for the Rays 81 home games. But what if the team makes the playoffs? Or the World Series? What if they want to host an All-Star game? Major League Baseball would be concerned about the significant limitations for ticket sales for a smaller ballpark that also doesn't have flexibility to add seating due to an unorthodox alignment.

"The seating one in particular is a challenge for physics to be able to get the amount of seats you need in a reasonable amount of space," Auld said. "But I'm in love with it, so I'm going to see if we can do it or do it in a few areas. We've been sitting the same way forever. I'd like to try something different.

"We want to turn small market issues into advantages instead of problems. Ok, we only have 30,000 seats. What can we do to make them all cool."

Will the Florida Legislature make it harder for a Rays stadium deal? TIMES FILE PHOTO
4. Tallahassee could blow this whole thing up

It's no secret that the Republican-controlled legislature has little appetite to help pay for ballparks with state dollars like in bygone years. But more recently they've also sought to block local government from using taxpayer money for stadiums. Late in the session, Sen. Tom Lee, a Thonotosassa Republican, proposed legislation to prohibit localities from using Community Redevelopment Authority money to pay for sports stadium. The amendment was withdrawn Thursday evening but not before giving Rays-to-Ybor planners a scare.

Community Redevelopment funds are a major piece of Hillsborough and Tampa's plan to help pay for a ballpark. (Read more on that here.) Without that tool, there's virtually no path to building a ballpark in Tampa that doesn't rely on a new tax or cutting deeply from other government services, something local politicians said they won't do.

Any action by the legislature between now and opening day of the new Ybor ballpark has the potential to upend plans to bring the Rays over from St. Petersberg.

"It could have dramatic impacts on what we do," Auld acknowledged.

Whether fans who have come to Tropicana Field from St. Petersburg will still go to Tampa for games isn’t that big of an issue to the Rays. WILL VRAGOVIC | Times
5. The Rays aren't too concerned about losing Pinellas County fans.

The Rays attendance issues at Tropicana Field are well documented. As Auld made clear yesterday, it's why they're moving to Tampa, which he called the "geographic center" of the region with twice as many people living and working within a 30-minute drive.

Turnout at baseball games is largely driven by the amount of people who can get there within a half our. So in doubling the number of people in that zone, the Rays hope to double their attendance, and perhaps sell out a 30,000-person stadium for most games.

That doesn't mean giving up on Pinellas fans, many of which can still get to a Ybor ballpark in 30 minutes (traffic notwithstanding). And any hurt feelings locally about losing the team to Tampa aren't insurmountable, Auld said.

"I truly believe that the vast majority of people who live in the Tampa Bay region think of it as a region now," Auld said. "And while many of them would like the ballpark closer to them, which is great for us, I don't think we're going to suffer too much by talking about moving within the area. If I was up here today talking about moving somewhere far outside of Florida, that's an entirely different story. I think even the toughest critics recognize that we've put forth our top effort here in St. Petersburg and it hasn't gone as anyone would have liked or predicted, and as such it's important for us to be exploring different options."

Phantom Phenom

Postby acmillis » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:01 am

There's the Rays we know and love....

4 hits, 1 walk, 9Ks, 0 runs
acmillis

Postby Nano » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:08 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

Because unlike most of the fairweather fans on this board and in the TB area some people actually enjoy watching and supporting the team. Not just when they win.

Fairweather? We haven't had a winning record since 2013(and ain't done **** with it since like 2008), all the ones that only care about winning have long left the teams interest. No, I don't want to support a team that actively decided to tank before the season by getting rid of all our good players for mid-tier prospects. Longo I could understand...the others where we got rid of them and then paid more for their replacement(Or signed backups for their roles), no.
Nano

Postby Nano » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:11 pm

acmillis wrote:There's the Rays we know and love....

4 hits, 1 walk, 9Ks, 0 runs

It was a true Rays game...1-0 loss. Snell can just not get out of that evil *6th inning that plagues him.
Nano

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:57 am

Theory: Drive down roster payroll, get stadium built, sell team.

It makes good business sense. The ballpark is probably the biggest drag to a potential buyer. So you minimize the internal costs of ownership to drive down the out of pocket investment in the new digs. City picks up the rest of the tab and viola!

MLB franchise with a brand new stadium in a trendy neighborhood and low overhead.

It's like eating baloney sandwiches while remodeling the kitchen before selling the house.
Mountaineer Buc

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports