Switch to full style
A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Post a reply

Re: ***OFFICIAL 2018 Tampa Bay Rays MLB Season Thread!***

Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:05 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Is it wrong that I miss the steroid era? Say what you want about the purity of the game, but McGuire, Sosa, Bonds, et al, were damned fun to watch.

The rise and fall of the steroid era was fun. From Conseco to Bonds to McGuire to Sosa to Palmero making his proclamation in Congress all the way down to the Mitchell report. I loved that era of baseball. There will never be anything like it.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:52 pm

yeah, RIP that era...

I remember idly riding my bike around the neighborhood with my friends, musta been '98, because it was during the HR race between Sosa and McGwire, when they were about to break the record, and a friend's brother came running outside, "hey guys! McGwire's up to bat!" ... we all rushed in and watched, knowing we were watching history. I was 10. The sun seemed bright and things were good.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:47 pm

...and nobody gave two shits about steroids.

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:23 am

Good example last night. It was a great game, but you just don't know anybody out there. We started rookies at all 5 infield positions. ALL FIVE. It's like just stumbling upon a random AAA game on T.V. If you watch, you pick a team and root for it just for the sake of watching a game and having an interest in it, but you don't know anybody out there. No-name baseball.

We then have a pitcher we do know on the mound in Snell, and he's dealing. So much so, that he's perfect through 5 with only 47 pitches. That's fun, right? It's that point in the game where you start paying attention to such things. So coach trots out there and pulls him. WE PULLED A GUY WHO WAS PERFECT THROUGH 5 AND HAD ONLY THROWN 47 PITCHES.

:banghead:

But hey. #RaysWin, right?

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:52 am

It saddens me to say it but it honestly seems this organization is disappointed that the team isn't as bad as it looked on paper going into the season. They also didn't get their top shortstop prospect either so that has to be disappointing.

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:09 am

Kress wrote:Good example last night. It was a great game, but you just don't know anybody out there. We started rookies at all 5 infield positions. ALL FIVE. It's like just stumbling upon a random AAA game on T.V. If you watch, you pick a team and root for it just for the sake of watching a game and having an interest in it, but you don't know anybody out there. No-name baseball.

We then have a pitcher we do know on the mound in Snell, and he's dealing. So much so, that he's perfect through 5 with only 47 pitches. That's fun, right? It's that point in the game where you start paying attention to such things. So coach trots out there and pulls him. WE PULLED A GUY WHO WAS PERFECT THROUGH 5 AND HAD ONLY THROWN 47 PITCHES.

:banghead:

But hey. #RaysWin, right?

In the state of today's game, I kind of get pulling Snell. We had a decent lead and it was his first start back from the DL. Would a perfecto or no-no been nice to see? Sure, but you don't (potentially) risk the health of your best player for something that most likely will not happen anyway.

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:12 pm

Rays reach win #60(60-57 overall). If we somehow end up with a winning record at the end, give Cash Manager of the Year. After the way this team was gutted over the season, we should be closer to Baltimore's record than ours. Not sure how we managed to be even an average team...But he's doing it.

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:16 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:It saddens me to say it but it honestly seems this organization is disappointed that the team isn't as bad as it looked on paper going into the season. They also didn't get their top shortstop prospect either so that has to be disappointing.

You don't gut the team the way we did if you're not hoping/expecting us to be bad. I imagine we expected to be playing for a high draft pick next year. As for a top SS prospect...we might already have one in Wander Franco.
Post a reply