The best NBA team of all time!

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
The best NBA team of all time!

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi guys

I need a bit of advice putting together the best nba team of all time. I am talking the full roster, not just the starting 5.

My nephew and I have this thing going on as to who can put together the best nba team. At first, we were just putting it on paper and debating it but now we plan on playing a full 48 min nba game on xbox with our two teams squaring off.

Each team has 13 players.

Here is my team (along with the starters). Let me know what you guys think and who would you replace and with who?

PG: Magic (S), Oscar Robinson
SG: Jordan (s), Ray Allen, George Gervin
SF: Larry Bird (s), Lebron, Dr J, Elgin Baylor
PF: Hakeem Olajuwon (s), Kevin Garnett
C: Kareem(s), Wilt C,

As you guys see, Hakeem is my starting power forward. This is the position he played for many years when Ralf Sampson was with the rockets.
Last edited by bahamian:bucfan on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahamian:bucfan

Re: The best NBA team of all time!

Postby Kress » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Shaq should be in there, no? Also maybe Kobe and Reggie Miller. And Tim Duncan. We're going to need a bigger roster.

Solid lineup, though. I'd sub in Shaq for Garnett, and Kobe for Allen.
Kress

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:19 pm

Kress wrote:Shaq should be in there, no? Also maybe Kobe and Reggie Miller. And Tim Duncan. We're going to need a bigger roster.

Solid lineup, though. I'd sub in Shaq for Garnett, and Kobe for Allen.

I was thinking Tim Duncan instead of Elgin Baylor. But, man, Baylor is just such an awesome , all around (UNDERRATED) small for ward.

Kobe is definitely a BOSS, but he just does not have that 3 point touch like Allen does. We all know that Kobe can score creating his own shot and get to th e basket. BUT, Dr J, Lebron and Elgin does the same thing (and Lebron/Baylor gets rebounds a whole lot better than Kobe).

And I also thought I needed to get bigger. I want to add Shaq. But who to move?

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Swap Duncan in for Garnett. Swap Shaq in for Wilt. Shaq would destroy Wilt.
PrimeMinister

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:41 pm

PrimeMinister wrote: Swap Shaq in for Wilt. Shaq would destroy Wilt.

God knows that Shaq is a bully but I am looking at boards also. Shaq just does not clean the boards like Wilt. Down low on offense though; Shaq was the most unstoppable force ever imho.
Because this game will be played at the highest skill level possible, I expect there to be allot of misses. Thus why rebounders are important to me.

But guys, I am really appreciate this. Because you have NO IDEA how my young 11/12 year old nephew thinks that he is the absolute guru when it come to the nba. I have to give it to him though, he really knows and understands the history of the nba and for such a young dude I really respect/appreciate it.

Postby Kress » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:47 pm

It's the same for anything. You get generational with it. It's hard to compare 100 point Wilt with freakish giant Shaq because they were different eras with different competition.

It's like how Carl Lewis was the fastest. And then he wasn't. Now it's Tyson Gay. Or then Justin Gatlin. Then Usain Bolt.

I skipped a few in there, but you get the point. People in general, and thus athletes, progress over time. Nutrition, health care, etc. That's how you win this debate. Go more modern. It just is what it is.
Kress

Postby Kress » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:52 pm

And just to mess with him, put Rodman is as your rebounder. Kidding, of course. :ninja:
Kress

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Between Kareem or Duncan you should have the rebounds covered.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:47 pm

It depends on what era you are playing on.

If the team were playing now, by today's rules/game play. I would go smaller have Lebron at the 4 and Hakeem or Duncan at the 5. If were the 80s or before, then Shaq has to be on the team.

I would easily put Steph over Allen. He has a better shot and is a more complete player. I'd also put Kobe over Gervin, J, or Baylor and I'd consider putting prime McGrady on the modern era team.

I loved Bird, but Lebron is the better player in any era. He would have to start, but he could play any positon 1-5 depending on the size of your line up.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Lebron would fit in every era and dominate.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:09 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:It depends on what era you are playing on.

If the team were playing now, by today's rules/game play. I would go smaller have Lebron at the 4 and Hakeem or Duncan at the 5. If were the 80s or before, then Shaq has to be on the team.

I would easily put Steph over Allen. He has a better shot and is a more complete player. I'd also put Kobe over Gervin, J, or Baylor and I'd consider putting prime McGrady on the modern era team.

I loved Bird, but Lebron is the better player in any era. He would have to start, but he could play any positon 1-5 depending on the size of your line up.

Nice substitutions. No issue with any of them.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:11 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Lebron would fit in every era and dominate.

Absolutely. I've always been a Lebron hater, but he's 1B with Jordan. As a fan of the sport, it's impossible to deny how rare of a talent he is.
uscbucsfan

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:04 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:It depends on what era you are playing on.

I "think" that we will be playing this game via today's rules (but I have no idea if this is an option with the nba 2k games).

Shaq is simply just a bully so I will definitely put him on the team.

I was thinking about starting Lebron over Bird. But man, that sweet shot of Bird's keep me starting him over Lebron. But God knows, Bron is just too versatile to have him not starting.

Steph does have a good shot BUT, standing behind the arc with a sweet pass from Magic give me Allen over Steph any day. Allen is on this team just to hit those 3's!

Prime TMac was a beast! Very interesting!

Kobe! Well what can I say one of the best! But "for now" he won't make my final cut.

But thanks for the input.

Keep em coming guys.

Greatly appreciated!

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:22 pm

Shaq would use your two C's as q-tips.

If your goal is to put together the best team from any era, you should not have any guys from the 80s or earlier. They wouldn't compete with the modern day players at all.
Ken Carson

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:28 pm

At the 2 guard you should have Jordan, Kobe & Wade.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:34 pm

KD is also criminally underrated historically.

He's a 7' player that plays like a small guard. He's an underrated defender and is one of the better pure scorers in the history of the game.

I'm happy no one has said Westbrook. For as special as he is, he's just a black hole.

I agree with Ken. I think an argument can be made that you could create a team of players playing right now that would have a shot against an all time team. The game has evolved, especially with the 3. So many big men can shoot from a distance, which helps with spacing, scoring, etc. If we are playing in an era without hand checks, players like Curry absolutely deserve spot on an all-time team. Outside of personal bias, there's no reason to put a player like Allen over him. Curry is the better shooter, defender, ball handler, facilitator. I don't think there's one piece of Allen's game that is better than Curry.
uscbucsfan

Postby StillCSG » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Bullshit...

He wouldn't last for 3 weeks in the early to mid 80's

Lambeer or McHale would have broken his legs in 3 places
StillCSG

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:03 pm

How about this line up

PG: Magic (s), Big O
SG: Jordan (s), Kobe, Ray Allen
Sf: Lebron (s), Bird, Baylor
Pf: Hakeem (s), Duncan, Bill Russel
C: Kareem (s), Shaq

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:03 pm

StillCSG wrote:

Bullshit...

How many legs did they break in 3 places?
PrimeMinister

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:07 pm

StillCSG wrote:

Bullshit...

I agree with this.

I would say though, IF Lebron played in the 80's; I think he would be even better than he is now. I say that because back then you HAD to hve that dog/killer instinct in you. Can you guys imagine Lebron with that! OMG!!!

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:12 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:KD is also criminally underrated historically.

He's a 7' player that plays like a small guard. He's an underrated defender and is one of the better pure scorers in the history of the game.

I'm happy no one has said Westbrook. For as special as he is, he's just a black hole.

I agree with Ken. I think an argument can be made that you could create a team of players playing right now that would have a shot against an all time team. The game has evolved, especially with the 3. So many big men can shoot from a distance, which helps with spacing, scoring, etc. If we are playing in an era without hand checks, players like Curry absolutely deserve spot on an all-time team. Outside of personal bias, there's no reason to put a player like Allen over him. Curry is the better shooter, defender, ball handler, facilitator. I don't think there's one piece of Allen's game that is better than Curry.

I will admit that I do feel like Steph is overrated (Like most of the player nowa days imo). But that does not take from the fact that he is a great shooter.

Let me ask you this Game on the line with no time left and you need a three; who do you want taking it Steph or Allen?

My answer; give me Allen any day of the week and twice on Sundays!

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:22 pm

bahamian:bucfan wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:KD is also criminally underrated historically.

I will admit that I do feel like Steph is overrated Like most of the player nowa days imo). But that does not take from the fact that he is a great shooter.

Let me ask you this Game on the line with no time left and you need a three; who do you want taking it Steph or Allen?

My answer; give me Allen any day of the week and twice on Sundays!

1. You are playing a video game. Steph will be better in every category.
2. Steph is a better shooter and ball handler and can create his own shot...so I would take Steph, easily.

I liked Ray Allen, but he's not on the same level as Steph Curry (he's said so himself). They played under the same rule format and Curry is a higher % shooter, has more range, and is more than just a spot shooter.

Your opinion that most players "nowa days" are overrated is ignorant to the sport....IMO. They are better/more versatile athletes. Sure they aren't playing the same physical game as in the past, but the defenses and the game is much more sophisticated in the modern era. The Golden State Warriors of the last 4 years have been a top 10 historical defense of all time...in a time with inflated offenses and no hand checks. That's impressive and a testament to their individual and team talent.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:52 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
StillCSG wrote:
Bullshit...

How many legs did they break in 3 places?

Apparently most of the NBA. Lebron is a historical freak for his height, weight, and strength combination and his ability to stay healthy. If Lebron wouldn't last 3 weeks. I'd be scared to see how long players like Clyde, Dr. J, Isiah Thomas would last....

Seriously, it's best to just ignore him.
uscbucsfan

Postby Kress » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Let me ask you this Game on the line with no time left and you need a three; who do you want taking it Steph or Allen?!

Reggie Miller? That guy would get a rebound and run straight backwards with it in order to get behind the arc.
Kress

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Kress wrote:
Let me ask you this Game on the line with no time left and you need a three; who do you want taking it Steph or Allen?!

Reggie Miller? That guy would get a rebound and run straight backwards with it in order to get behind the arc.

Good answer. I would take Reggie before Steph also.

But what I love about Allen is how cool/calm/confident he was with his shot (especially when the game is on the line).

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:38 pm

This is the last thing I'll post about Curry vs. historic 3 point shooters, but here are the three that have been mentioned best 3 point seasons as far as 3 pointers made. I think the difference is pretty staggering. This isn't taking into account Curry was much more than just a 3 point shooter.

Taking anyone else is just because you liked player "x" is one thing, but Curry is the better shooter and it's not that close. Miller's best year (listed below) was when the NBA moved the 3 point line in from 23'9" to 22' in attempts to increase scoring. Other than that, not much has changed that would count as a disadvantage or advantage to each player. If anything, it could be argued that the NBA's shift to a 3 point game and defending the perimeter would be a detriment to Curry.

Curry: 45%+ making 402 3 pointers in 79 games.
Miller: 42%+ making 229 3 pointers in 81 games.
Allen: 41%+ making 269 3 pointers in 78 games.
uscbucsfan

Postby Kress » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:49 pm

Kress

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Kress wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/07/reggie-miller-pacers-knicks-8-points-9-seconds-playoffs-comeback

Ok. I guess that makes up for him being a worse shooter, right?

Tracy McGrady and Reggie Miller are the best ever because of two insane final minute performances.
uscbucsfan

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:04 pm

This is my team as of now:

PG: Magic (s), Big O
SG: Jordan (s), Kobe, Ray Allen
Sf: Lebron (s), Bird, Tracey Mcgrady (thanks for this one usbucsfan)
Pf: Hakeem (s), Duncan, Bill Russel
C: Kareem (s), Shaq

I think that this is the line up I will go with. Man, I forgot how deadly Tmac was between 2001-2004 for the Orlando Magic. Thats a great addition to my team.

The only thing is I need to now learn how to play the nba 2k on xbox. But if I learn how to play I am pretty certain I will beat his team. When we play, I will let you guys know what the out come is.

But if there is any where you guys feel my team needs improving, let me know.

Thanks.

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:06 pm

Tmac, Penny, and Grant Hill all could have been all time greats if not for injuries.

I enjoyed the discussion. I hope you have fun!
uscbucsfan

Next

Return to Other Sports