***OFFICIAL NBA 2017-2018 SEASON THREAD***

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL NBA 2017-2018 SEASON THREAD***

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:54 pm

Did people there know it was a goaltend live?

It’s different watching at home and I see how it was missed in real time.
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:56 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:Did people there know it was a goaltend live?

It’s different watching at home and I see how it was missed in real time.

Couldn't tell from my seats and they didn't show the replay on the big board (probably because it WAS a goaltend)...
Super K

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun May 06, 2018 1:42 am

Lebron is absolutely amazing. Best player I’ve ever seen.
PrimeMinister

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun May 06, 2018 4:45 am

I'm not a Pelicans fan but I'm rooting for them against the Warriors.
Phantom Phenom

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun May 06, 2018 11:08 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:I'm not a Pelicans fan but I'm rooting for them against the Warriors.

Same here. I at least want them to make it a series.
PrimeMinister

Postby NavyBuc » Sun May 06, 2018 12:10 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Lebron is absolutely amazing. Best player I’ve ever seen.

Third best for me. I still have MJ #1 and Kobe #2 in best I've ever seen. But Lebron is definitely closing in. Still think he needs the titles. I know he's been to a lot of finals, but the East is so watered down that number is a bit skewed.

I think what's going to hurt Lebron is in a lot of people's eyes is many people don't like him. People liked Jordan. Even if you weren't a Bulls fan, you liked him...just hated playing against him. I thought MJ was more classy and didn't say the dumb things that Lebron that gets him hated by a lot more people. He comes off as much more arrogant and cocky. I personally hate Lebron.....but talent-wise, he is closing in on Michael. But he's not there yet and may need the titles to pass him.
NavyBuc

Postby acmillis » Sun May 06, 2018 12:45 pm

NavyBuc wrote:

Third best for me. I still have MJ #1 and Kobe #2 in best I've ever seen. But Lebron is definitely closing in. Still think he needs the titles. I know he's been to a lot of finals, but the East is so watered down that number is a bit skewed.

I think what's going to hurt Lebron is in a lot of people's eyes is many people don't like him. People liked Jordan. Even if you weren't a Bulls fan, you liked him...just hated playing against him. I thought MJ was more classy and didn't say the dumb things that Lebron that gets him hated by a lot more people. He comes off as much more arrogant and cocky. I personally hate Lebron.....but talent-wise, he is closing in on Michael. But he's not there yet and may need the titles to pass him.

Yowsers...of all time?!?!?!?
acmillis

Postby NYBF » Sun May 06, 2018 1:10 pm

NavyBuc wrote:

But people like Kobe?
NYBF

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun May 06, 2018 1:23 pm

NavyBuc wrote:

I’ll never understand how people don’t see Jordan as cocky and arrogant. Jordan is petty, arrogant and cocky. I grew up cheering for those Bulls teams and I always said Jordan was the most arrogant player in the league. Lebron is a better basketball player and person than both Jordan and Kobe. All 3 are all time great players and all three are arrogant in their own right. Lebron has been in the public spotlight for 18 years, most of it during the social media era, and his biggest screwup was a press conference. I just don’t know what there is to not like about the guy. As a man I respect the hell out of him.

And people like Kobe???
PrimeMinister

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon May 07, 2018 6:59 pm

Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon May 07, 2018 8:01 pm

I can't believe the Celtics made it this far without their 2 best players.
Phantom Phenom

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon May 07, 2018 9:20 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:I can't believe the Celtics made it this far without their 2 best players.

That’s what a good to great TEAM looks like.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon May 07, 2018 9:47 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:I can't believe the Celtics made it this far without their 2 best players.

That’s what a good to great TEAM looks like.

I think the only great teams will square off in the West soon. I don't think the Celtics beat the Cavs and I don't think the Cavs stand much of a chance against either the Rockets or Warriors. I'm still sticking to what I said after last season... Warriors vs Cavs IV; Warriors in 6...though I think 5 is more likely now.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Tue May 08, 2018 9:49 am

Having a hard time focusing on anything but the playoffs. Rockets need to wrap it up tonight. I actually don't mind the Jazz players and actually like Mitchell/Ingles/Gobert. That being said, they've obviously gotten their feelings hurt during this series. Ingles was pretty chippy in that last game. Time to send them packing.

Then I'll be praying that the Pelicans at least put up a fight against the Warriors. If they can win again, that would be amazing.

But the series we've all been waiting for is on the verge of happening. I'm a little nervous already.
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 08, 2018 10:00 am

Deuce wrote:Having a hard time focusing on anything but the playoffs. Rockets need to wrap it up tonight. I actually don't mind the Jazz players and actually like Mitchell/Ingles/Gobert. That being said, they've obviously gotten their feelings hurt during this series. Ingles was pretty chippy in that last game. Time to send them packing.

Then I'll be praying that the Pelicans at least put up a fight against the Warriors. If they can win again, that would be amazing.

But the series we've all been waiting for is on the verge of happening. I'm a little nervous already.

At least it's not such a long shot that the Rockets win the series as it was before the season started. The Warriors are still the favorites and the better team, but the Rockets have a really good shot. I think chances are high that it goes to 7 games either way. As a Lakers fan, I just hope for a good series as I think the finals will be even less competitive than last year.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Tue May 08, 2018 10:07 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Deuce wrote:Having a hard time focusing on anything but the playoffs. Rockets need to wrap it up tonight. I actually don't mind the Jazz players and actually like Mitchell/Ingles/Gobert. That being said, they've obviously gotten their feelings hurt during this series. Ingles was pretty chippy in that last game. Time to send them packing.

At least it's not such a long shot that the Rockets win the series as it was before the season started. The Warriors are still the favorites and the better team, but the Rockets have a really good shot. I think chances are high that it goes to 7 games either way. As a Lakers fan, I just hope for a good series as I think the finals will be even less competitive than last year.

Yeah, they're definitely the favorites but there's a much different feel to it this time. Rockets beat them twice in the regular season. And when was the last time GSW started a series on the road?

And yeah, this is basically the finals. I don't think LeBron can hang with either team.
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 08, 2018 10:13 am

Deuce wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:At least it's not such a long shot that the Rockets win the series as it was before the season started. The Warriors are still the favorites and the better team, but the Rockets have a really good shot. I think chances are high that it goes to 7 games either way. As a Lakers fan, I just hope for a good series as I think the finals will be even less competitive than last year.

Yeah, they're definitely the favorites but there's a much different feel to it this time. Rockets beat them twice in the regular season. And when was the last time GSW started a series on the road?

And yeah, this is basically the finals. I don't think LeBron can hang with either team.

The Warriors didn't try at all in the regular season. I'd be willing to bet the Rockets do that next season as well. Much like the Cavs for the last 2 years, it allows them to be fresh in the playoffs. The Warriors and Rockets would beat any team in the west and know that, so it doesn't matter where they are seeded.

Both the Warriors and the Rockets have gotten bored in games in these playoffs and lost to inferior teams. I don't think it will be like that when they play each other, but I also wouldn't be shocked to see each take a game off if they aren't feeling it and each team get a blow out in the series.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Tue May 08, 2018 10:58 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Deuce wrote:

The Warriors didn't try at all in the regular season. I'd be willing to bet the Rockets do that next season as well. Much like the Cavs for the last 2 years, it allows them to be fresh in the playoffs. The Warriors and Rockets would beat any team in the west and know that, so it doesn't matter where they are seeded.

Both the Warriors and the Rockets have gotten bored in games in these playoffs and lost to inferior teams. I don't think it will be like that when they play each other, but I also wouldn't be shocked to see each take a game off if they aren't feeling it and each team get a blow out in the series.

You're mostly right but opening game of the season, at their home court, against the newly anointed team built to compete with them...you bet they wanted to win that one. And even without them trying, the Rockets couldn't get a regular season W against them prior to that.

Those games don't mean anything once this series starts, but it just shows that it'll be more competitive than prior years.
Deuce

Postby acmillis » Tue May 08, 2018 12:20 pm

I'm still not believing in the Rock-ettes. Harden is Melo 2.0 (although he does actually pass the ball now and then). Takes a ton of shots, scores a ton of points, but ain't the guy that is going to get you a championship.

Warriors win WCF in 5, Cavs win ECF in 6.

Warriors over Cavs in 5.
acmillis

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue May 08, 2018 1:49 pm

I would love to see Rockets v Cavs, but I don’t see Rockets beating Warriors. If Rockets v Cavs happens it’ll end in Cavs in 6. Otherwise Warriors v Cavs will end Warriors in 6.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 08, 2018 2:18 pm

acmillis wrote:I'm still not believing in the Rock-ettes. Harden is Melo 2.0 (although he does actually pass the ball now and then). Takes a ton of shots, scores a ton of points, but ain't the guy that is going to get you a championship.

Warriors over Cavs in 5.

Harden is far more dominant, unstoppable, and consistent offensively than Melo ever was. He's become an exponentially better defender, and he passes the ball. I understand he completely shrank last year in the playoffs in an elimination game, but there's no reason to call him Melo 2.0. There's a chance the Rockets can beat the Warriors, but I don't think the Warriors will win in 5, the Rockets are too good.
uscbucsfan

Postby acmillis » Tue May 08, 2018 2:37 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
acmillis wrote:I'm still not believing in the Rock-ettes. Harden is Melo 2.0 (although he does actually pass the ball now and then). Takes a ton of shots, scores a ton of points, but ain't the guy that is going to get you a championship.

Warriors over Cavs in 5.

Harden is far more dominant, unstoppable, and consistent offensively than Melo ever was. He's become an exponentially better defender, and he passes the ball. I understand he completely shrank last year in the playoffs in an elimination game, but there's no reason to call him Melo 2.0. There's a chance the Rockets can beat the Warriors, but I don't think the Warriors will win in 5, the Rockets are too good.

IMO, when I think Melo, I think of a dude who could put the ball in the net but was pretty much a liability other than that.

I guess , IMO, Harden would be a rich mans' Melo, but still, I do not see him (Harden) ever winning a championship being THE GUY.
acmillis

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue May 08, 2018 2:50 pm

acmillis wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

IMO, when I think Melo, I think of a dude who could put the ball in the net but was pretty much a liability other than that.

I guess , IMO, Harden would be a rich mans' Melo, but still, I do not see him (Harden) ever winning a championship being THE GUY.

Harden and Melo couldn’t be more different as high level scorers. Harden is more efficient and distributes the ball excellently.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 08, 2018 3:01 pm

acmillis wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Where is Harden a liability? Defense? I guess we are going off the past and ignoring this season and the playoffs?

It's certainly not anywhere else on the court.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Tue May 08, 2018 3:16 pm

I don't want to sound like Bootz here but comparing Harden and Melo is a casual basketball fan perspective.

Harden is a much better scorer and distributor than prime Melo. Harden has led the league in assists. He's made All-NBA first team 3 times. He'll most likely be adding an MVP trophy to that. Melo's only been out of the first round twice. Harden has 5 times, already thrice as the main piece.
Deuce

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue May 08, 2018 3:24 pm

Deuce wrote:I don't want to sound like Bootz here but comparing Harden and Melo is a casual basketball fan perspective.

Harden is a much better scorer and distributor than prime Melo. Harden has led the league in assists. He's made All-NBA first team 3 times. He'll most likely be adding an MVP trophy to that. Melo's only been out of the first round twice. Harden has 5 times, already thrice as the main piece.

It’s a lazy comparison from someone who hasn’t watched Harden play. They just know he is a scorer and Melo was a scorer so the two must be the same. Also phrases like “you can never win with this guy as your #1 guy” sounds like talk radio.
PrimeMinister

Postby Deuce » Tue May 08, 2018 3:27 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
acmillis wrote:

Where is Harden a liability? Defense? I guess we are going off the past and ignoring this season and the playoffs?

It's certainly not anywhere else on the court.

James Harden is my favorite player on my favorite team. He's brilliant on offense. I don't know if most people even get it. He does exaggerate sometimes, but he gets tons of legitimate foul calls. Mostly because he blows by the defender, and then they foul him by reaching because they are not in position. He'll initiate contact with players out of position all the time, and then reap the benefits by shooting 85%+ on his free throws.

I said all of this to say...he's still not a very good defender. He's better than early in his Rockets career. He's decent in the post. He has quick hands which allow for blocks and steals here and there. But 1 on 1 on the perimeter, any player with decent quickness is probably going by him.
Deuce

Postby acmillis » Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 pm

Deuce wrote:I don't want to sound like Bootz here but comparing Harden and Melo is a casual basketball fan perspective.

Get that man a certificate of participation then?

My comparing Melo to Harden is me saying that both of them can score, but at the end of their careers, they will have nothing to show for it including no finals appearances IMO.
acmillis

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 08, 2018 3:33 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:

It’s a lazy comparison from someone who hasn’t watched Harden play. They just know he is a scorer and Melo was a scorer so the two must be the same. Also phrases like “you can never win with this guy as your #1 guy” sounds like talk radio.

There are some players that become the antithesis of ball movement and team play, especially in the playoffs. Boogie Cousins, Melo, and Westbrook are all players that are difficult to win with. They just become inefficient ball stoppers down the stretch.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 08, 2018 3:33 pm

acmillis wrote:

they will have nothing to show for it including no finals appearances IMO.

lol
uscbucsfan

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports