***OFFICIAL NBA 2017-2018 SEASON THREAD***

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL NBA 2017-2018 SEASON THREAD***

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri May 11, 2018 4:01 pm

The Toronto Raptors have fired coach Dwane Casey COTY
Phantom Phenom

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri May 11, 2018 6:56 pm

That was a mistake
PrimeMinister

Postby acmillis » Sat May 12, 2018 5:37 am

A Raptor making an exit earlier than expected...haven't heard of that before...
acmillis

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun May 13, 2018 6:49 pm

Celtics!!!!

James finished with 15 points on 5-for-16 shooting and was 0-for-5 from 3-point range. He was minus-26 in the first half -- the worst plus/minus of his postseason career -- and minus-32 overall.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon May 14, 2018 12:53 pm

ah I guess no one care that the Celtics won game 1?
Phantom Phenom

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon May 14, 2018 12:56 pm

acmillis wrote:A Raptor making an exit earlier than expected...haven't heard of that before...

Just caught this one. Well done.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon May 14, 2018 12:57 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:I can't believe the Celtics made it this far without their 2 best players.

That’s what a good to great TEAM looks like.

Phantom, this is for you.
PrimeMinister

Postby Deuce » Tue May 15, 2018 11:45 am

I'm weirdly content after last night's game. I'm pretty proud of the Rockets, honestly. The crowd showed up, Harden was amazing, they didn't let Draymond bait them into anything, and the game was fairly reffed. I think the game also lived up the hype as far as star performances, one tech, and some really good basketball.

When the Warriors are uncomfortable, their trump card is the Durant iso. They went to it a ton and I don't know how you stop it.

I think the Rockets definitely can play better on the defensive end, so we'll see what happens, but I'm not at all disappointed after that game.
Deuce

Postby acmillis » Tue May 15, 2018 11:48 am

Deuce wrote:I'm weirdly content after last night's game. I'm pretty proud of the Rockets, honestly. The crowd showed up, Harden was amazing, they didn't let Draymond bait them into anything, and the game was fairly reffed. I think the game also lived up the hype as far as star performances, one tech, and some really good basketball.

When the Warriors are uncomfortable, their trump card is the Durant iso. They went to it a ton and I don't know how you stop it.

I think the Rockets definitely can play better on the defensive end, so we'll see what happens, but I'm not at all disappointed after that game.

Harden had a great game on offense and I'm not sure even I (Harden hater) can really get on him about his defense (it was bad) because of their big 3 just having a lights out shooting night.

If HOU loses tomorrow night, it will be a sweep.

oh....and Draymond Green is a turd.
acmillis

Postby DreadNaught » Tue May 15, 2018 11:57 am

Rockets and Warriors are the 2 best teams in the NBA right now. If the Celtics were at full strength I think they could be in that conversation since they are extremely well coached and very deep.

That said, the Warriors are hands down the best team and unless KD gets injured I'd be SHOCKED if they lose more than 1 game in any series.

Only shot you have to beat this Warriors team is to have a great night from the 3pt line and shoot alot of them. It's how the Cavs won their only game in last years finals and it's the only way the Rockets will win games in this series.

I hate to sound like the old man, but I really don't find this brand of basketball (iso ball and 3pt shooting) all that entertaining. As someone who grew up watching Lakers-Celtics and later the MJ led Bulls, the NBA playoffs always had 'hated rivals' and a more physical brand of ball where every shot was contested and nothing was ever cheap around the paint. Watching todays playoff basketball I have to remind myself that this is the conference finals.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 15, 2018 12:27 pm

The Warriors hardly play any ISO. The Rockets play the most in the NBA. MJ went ISO at a huge %. I love watching Warriors brand of basketball, it's beautiful IMO
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Tue May 15, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby Swashy » Tue May 15, 2018 12:28 pm

Fingers crossed that the Magic win the lottery. That and hiring coach Casey would be a massive step forward from the piss puddle that is that team's existence
Swashy

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue May 15, 2018 12:47 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:The Warriors hardly play any ISO. The Rockets play the most in the NBA. MJ went ISO at a huge %. I love watching Warriors brand of basketball, it's beautiful IMO

I’m not sure how anyone watches the Warriors and thinks they’re watching iso ball. The Warriors are tough to beat because they have 3-4 all stars who move the ball.
PrimeMinister

Postby NYBF » Tue May 15, 2018 1:06 pm

Swashy wrote:Fingers crossed that the Magic win the lottery. That and hiring coach Casey would be a massive step forward from the piss puddle that is that team's existence

Unless they're taking Jesus with the #1, I don't know if anything can help that franchise.
NYBF

Postby acmillis » Tue May 15, 2018 1:21 pm

NYBF wrote:
Swashy wrote:Fingers crossed that the Magic win the lottery. That and hiring coach Casey would be a massive step forward from the piss puddle that is that team's existence

Unless they're taking Jesus with the #1, I don't know if anything can help that franchise.

A man (?) in sandals on the court is a turned ankle waiting to happen, so taking Jesus anywhere in the lottery would be a team sacrificing their season.
acmillis

Postby Deuce » Tue May 15, 2018 1:28 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:The Warriors hardly play any ISO. The Rockets play the most in the NBA. MJ went ISO at a huge %. I love watching Warriors brand of basketball, it's beautiful IMO

I’m not sure how anyone watches the Warriors and thinks they’re watching iso ball. The Warriors are tough to beat because they have 3-4 all stars who move the ball.

27 of Durant's 37 points last night came on iso plays. As a team, 19/80, or one quarter, of the Warriors shots came from iso.

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/statu ... 4379595779

Maybe you two should stick to football...
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 15, 2018 1:43 pm

Lol.

1 game changed the last 3+ years and the entire regular season? Of all people to insult basketball knowledge on this board...

https://stats.nba.com/teams/passing/

319 passes per game in the playoffs, 322 in the regular season does not equal ISO ball.
uscbucsfan

Postby Swashy » Tue May 15, 2018 2:11 pm

NYBF wrote:

If the Magic want to do anything in the future it's gonna have to start with getting the best talent in the draft this year. I'm not counting on who they pick to make this huge difference. I'm just counting on it making ANY difference. Right now the only real consolation the Magic have is that they beat a few good teams at the start of last season and they were not the worst team in the NBA last year. However, I fully expect their plan of doing nothing significant in free agency and trades that don't amount to much to stay in full swing for the foreseeable future.
Swashy

Postby Deuce » Tue May 15, 2018 2:24 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:Lol.

1 game changed the last 3+ years and the entire regular season? Of all people to insult basketball knowledge on this board...

319 passes per game in the playoffs, 322 in the regular season does not equal ISO ball.

Wait...so why did you start your post with "The Warriors hardly play any iso"?

Just your random thought for the day, apropos of nothing?
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 15, 2018 2:36 pm

Deuce wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Lol.

Why don't you read that again, "hardly play any". Over the last 3 years they've played the least amount of ISO in the NBA. This regular season they were 5th, 2nd in the post season. There have been a total of 2 games in these playoffs that they have played a lot of ISO ball and it's been Durant, last night and game 4 vs the Pelicans. Dread was comparing them to the MJ Bulls, which used to post all of their players at the top of the key and let Jordan have an empty lane to work with, until the league implemented the "MJ rule".

The Warriors compared to great teams in history are one of the better ball movement teams of all time. It's not just the stats that show it, watch the games. Of course there are outlier games, just like the Rockets are a pure ISO team, that doesn't mean they don't pass the ball. They generate most of their points in isolation plays, much like the Cavs (because of Lebron).

I get that you are salty that your team lost, but you will need to bring more than outliers if you want to be condescending.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Tue May 15, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue May 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Phantom Phenom

Postby Deuce » Tue May 15, 2018 2:54 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Why don't you read that again, "hardly play any". Over the last 3 years they've played the least amount of ISO in the NBA. This regular season they were 5th, 2nd in the post season. There have been a total of 2 games in these playoffs that they have played a lot of ISO ball and it's been Durant, last night and game 4 vs the Pelicans. Dread was comparing them to the MJ Bulls, which used to post all of their players at the top of the key and let Jordan have an empty lane to work with, until the league implemented the "MJ rule".

The Warriors compared to great teams in history are one of the better ball movement teams of all time. It's not just the stats that show it, watch the games. Of course there are outlier games, just like the Rockets are a pure ISO team, that doesn't mean they don't pass the ball. They generate most of their points in isolation plays, much like the Cavs (because of Lebron).

I get that you are salty that your team lost, but you will need to bring more than outliers if you want to be condescending.

Not salty at all if you read my first post, the first post in this thread today. You made quite a leap with Dread's post without any context, which is probably why you confused me and the guy who "agreed" with you.

In response to two people discussing last night's game, your response started with "the Warriors hardly play any iso". So you can imagine my confusion.

Also, have you even claimed a team in this thead?
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 15, 2018 3:02 pm

Deuce wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Not salty at all if you read my first post, the first post in this thread today. You made quite a leap with Dread's post without any context, which is probably why you confused me and the guy who "agreed" with you.

In response to two people discussing last night's game, your response started with "the Warriors hardly play any iso". So you can imagine my confusion.

"Maybe you should stick to football"

That's absolutely full of bitter salt over losing.

I made no leap to dreads post. He was speaking towards ISO in the modern game and then referenced a better time with the MJ bulls. I was pointing out that the Warriors are not an ISO team, especially compared to those Bulls. Last night was more of an outlier, it may not be the last time if it continues to work, but the Warriors can play any brand of basketball really, which is why they are great. Historically they are a great passing team and beautiful to watch, but like all teams that feature a great player, Jordan, Kobe, Magic, Bird, etc. they also will go ISO when said player gets a hot hand the other opposing team can't answer.

I've been posting in the NBA thread since the 2002 season and have claimed my team in this thread and many times over again, but I'm not sure how that is relevant to the conversation.
uscbucsfan

Postby NYBF » Tue May 15, 2018 3:08 pm

That pic of Penny is a good time to revisit that trade.

The Magic somehow won the draft lottery for the 2nd straight year. They took Chris Weber and flipped him for Penny and THREE 1st round picks! It was a straight up heist! This was going to be the start of a DYNASTY! Those 3 picks were 1996, 1998, and 2000, which was good, because it would help the team reload after reaping the benefits of Shaq and Penny. One of those picks was Vince Carter!

Except... the Magic traded the 96 and 98 picks in 1994. That 98 pick ended up being Vince Carter. Instead they sent Scott Skiles and 2 #1s to Washington for a #2 in 1996 and a #1 in 1998. Again... they sent Scott Skiles and 2 first round picks to for a 2nd and a 1st.

That 1st rounder they got back? He turned into Keon Clark who was drafted by Orlando and traded without ever playing a game. He was sent to Denver for a 2000 1st rounder.

That 1st rounder was Keyon Dooling (guess they thought since they traded a Keon they had to draft a Keyon?) And the same day they drafted Keyon they traded him with a couple players and cash to the Clippers for a 1st rounder SIX ****ing YEARS AWAY.

Orlando couldn't wait years. Two years later (2002) they traded that #1 and a player to Denver for a #2 in 2004. Who the **** makes these trades?

In 2003, Orlando traded that 2004 #2 to Denver along with the 2001 rookie of the year Mike Miller (who, amazingly, was the 3rd #1 pikc from the Penny trade) and another player for Gordan Giricek and Drew Gooden, who both had perfectly cromulent 2 year stints with the Magic.

Gordan and Drew were eventually traded for picks. The pick they got for Gordan they packaged with another pick and traded to Miami for Stan Van Gundy.

The pick they got for Drew they selected a European player who they immediately flipped along with another pick to Cleveland for NOTHING. THEY TRADED A PLAYER AND A PICK AND GOT BACK NOT A ****ing THING.

The one constant through all this dumbfuckery? The DeVos family has been at the helm overseeing it all.
NYBF

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue May 15, 2018 3:22 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Well said. Warriors have not been an ISO team and that’s why they’re so damn tough to stop. Last night was outside of the norm, but it worked.
PrimeMinister

Postby Deuce » Tue May 15, 2018 3:24 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Deuce wrote:

"Maybe you should stick to football"

I made no leap to dreads post. He was speaking towards ISO in the modern game and then referenced a better time with the MJ bulls. I was pointing out that the Warriors are not an ISO team, especially compared to those Bulls. Last night was more of an outlier, it may not be the last time if it continues to work, but the Warriors can play any brand of basketball really, which is why they are great. Historically they are a great passing team and beautiful to watch, but like all teams that feature a great player, Jordan, Kobe, Magic, Bird, etc. they also will go ISO when said player gets a hot hand the other opposing team can't answer.

I've been posting in the NBA thread since the 2002 season and have claimed my team in this thread and many times over again, but I'm not sure how that is relevant to the conversation.

You absolutely made a leap. He said MJ and the Bulls had rivals and played more physical. He didn't say MJ never played iso. Anyway, it's semantics at this point. I stated in my first post that I was happy with the game last night despite losing. You, on the other hand, are afraid to even tell me what team you root for. What a fan you are.
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 15, 2018 3:29 pm

Deuce wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:"Maybe you should stick to football"

You absolutely made a leap. He said MJ and the Bulls had rivals and played more physical. He didn't say MJ never played iso. Anyway, it's semantics at this point. I stated in my first post that I was happy with the game last night despite losing. You, on the other hand, are afraid to even tell me what team you root for. What a fan you are.

Literally 1 page ago I told you who my team was, it has nothing to do with the conversation. If you are too lazy to hit back one page to a post I responded to you on, that's not my problem. I have no fear of any conversation with you. Nice attempt at deflection, though.
uscbucsfan

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue May 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Let go Pistons

Yes, I know they suck this year.

Blake Griffin signed through a player option in 2021-22
Andre Drummond signed through a player option in 2020-21
Reggie Jackson signed through a player option in 2019-20
Drafted Luke Kennard over Donovan Mitchell. DAMN IT

Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue May 15, 2018 11:33 pm

Celtics!!!
Phantom Phenom

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed May 16, 2018 8:32 pm

Neither team is playing well. In the 1st quarter, Warriors 0/7 from 3 and the Rockets have missed 3 layups.
uscbucsfan

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports