***OFFICIAL NBA 2017-2018 SEASON THREAD***

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL NBA 2017-2018 SEASON THREAD***

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 pm

Awesome 2nd quarter for the Rockets. They looked like the Warriors nornally do on both sides of the ball. Great ball movement and team defense. Always pushing the action, pressing down court and creating fast breaks. I see D'Antoni was bsing when we said ISO ball got them there and they would stick to that.

I have an early meeting, I'll catch the rest of the game tomorrow. Houston SHOULD win this.
uscbucsfan

Postby acmillis » Thu May 17, 2018 7:44 am

I'm surprised Houston pulled it out...and in a blowout at that.

I think this game has gotten my hopes up that it will be a good series, but I'll stick with my original prediction.

GS will handle their business at home and Houston will shut down (other than CP3) in a blowout home loss to end the series.
acmillis

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu May 17, 2018 9:06 am

Curry and CP3 were both showing signs of injury last night. Curry was not running, making back cuts, or moving without the ball and CP3's injury was obvious, yet he was still a beast. They have 4 days to recover, but I can't tell if it's just the injury to Curry or KD wanting to take over, but that's 2 games that the Warriors played lazy ISO ball in a row. The Rockets are playing good off ball defense, but outside of Green and Swaggy, no one is moving when KD has the ball.

I can never get over how freaky it is to watch 7' Durant as a scorer, he's so smooth, quick, efficient, and effortless.

While I don't really care who wins. I found myself rooting for Houston, especially when CP3 was limping and still breakong ankles. I've always liked CP3 and would love to see him get a ring. He should've been a Laker.
uscbucsfan

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat May 19, 2018 9:25 am

My prediction: Boston steals game 3 to go up 3-0.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun May 20, 2018 10:50 am

welp...
Phantom Phenom

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun May 20, 2018 12:50 pm

This one will go to 7.
PrimeMinister

Postby acmillis » Mon May 21, 2018 7:34 am

Yowzers.

I'd love to see a competitive game 4 just to be entertained, but I'm still thinking two more blowouts by GSW to wrap this thing up.
acmillis

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon May 21, 2018 11:13 pm

Even Duece has to find this funny.

PrimeMinister

Postby Deuce » Tue May 22, 2018 1:35 pm

I was a little concerned with that exchange when I first saw it. I think Paul was being a **** and telling Harden "just say okay" to something he didn't agree with. But slapping his hand away was unnecessary. That was from the Jazz series, btw.

Well, I had to fly last Wednesday so I missed the Rockets win. My friend got married Sunday and I snuck away a couple times but once we got down by 20 I gave up.

I don't think it needs to be said but tonight is huge. A win means its even with 2/3 games left in Houston. A loss and well...I don't think there's any chance of beating GSW 3 games in a row. The season and any hope of balance in the NBA comes down to this game.
Deuce

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue May 22, 2018 1:58 pm

I don’t think they can beat the GSW in a Best 4 of 7, but I wish they could. That team is just too damn good.
PrimeMinister

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue May 22, 2018 10:28 pm

Great game!!
Phantom Phenom

Postby acmillis » Wed May 23, 2018 7:56 am

I'm shocked that GSW lost when leading by double digits in the 4th. Congrats to Deuce and HOU for making it a series.
acmillis

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed May 23, 2018 9:08 am

Phantom Phenom

Postby Deuce » Wed May 23, 2018 10:41 am

Amazing game last night. I mean, the Warriors have 4 All-Stars and 2 MVPs and my team can play with them. It's pretty clear that the Rockets have done a lot of things to take the Warriors out of their comfort zone and it's working. They're making Steph play defense, Klay drive, Durant take long contested shots, etc. There shouldn't be any talk of Paul or Harden being playoff chokers after this series. We now have a best of 3 with home court advantage, let's do this.

Interesting thought I had from this series- at some point, I think it's 2020, this Warriors team will most likely be broken up. They'll be over the cap for the 4th straight year, so every dollar they spend over is charged x3. All of this is vaguely right but I'm too lazy to find the exact details right now. I think they do everything in their power to keep Curry and Durant. But let's say they have to choose between Klay and Draymond. Who goes? I think Klay gives them that third scorer that every team really needs when facing another superstar duo. However, the Rockets have limited him pretty well. I think he's pretty one-dimensional, make him dribble and he's a lot less likely to hurt you. And then there's Draymond. He gives them something the other 3 don't- a post presence. His stats are better than I thought in this series and he's done a great job neutralizing Capela. But do you go over the cap to keep a guy who scores 11 ppg and is a liability from the 3 point line? Pretty interesting discussion to be had there.
Deuce

Postby acmillis » Wed May 23, 2018 11:20 am

Deuce wrote:Amazing game last night. I mean, the Warriors have 4 All-Stars and 2 MVPs and my team can play with them. It's pretty clear that the Rockets have done a lot of things to take the Warriors out of their comfort zone and it's working. They're making Steph play defense, Klay drive, Durant take long contested shots, etc. There shouldn't be any talk of Paul or Harden being playoff chokers after this series. We now have a best of 3 with home court advantage, let's do this.

Interesting thought I had from this series- at some point, I think it's 2020, this Warriors team will most likely be broken up. They'll be over the cap for the 4th straight year, so every dollar they spend over is charged x3. All of this is vaguely right but I'm too lazy to find the exact details right now. I think they do everything in their power to keep Curry and Durant. But let's say they have to choose between Klay and Draymond. Who goes? I think Klay gives them that third scorer that every team really needs when facing another superstar duo. However, the Rockets have limited him pretty well. I think he's pretty one-dimensional, make him dribble and he's a lot less likely to hurt you. And then there's Draymond. He gives them something the other 3 don't- a post presence. His stats are better than I thought in this series and he's done a great job neutralizing Capela. But do you go over the cap to keep a guy who scores 11 ppg and is a liability from the 3 point line? Pretty interesting discussion to be had there.

Not a chance. Draymond is the clear 4th best player on that squad and would not be missed all that much IMO as they could find a tall fat dude to sit in the middle and kick dudes in the nuts.
acmillis

Postby Deuce » Wed May 23, 2018 11:44 am

acmillis wrote:
Deuce wrote:Amazing game last night. I mean, the Warriors have 4 All-Stars and 2 MVPs and my team can play with them. It's pretty clear that the Rockets have done a lot of things to take the Warriors out of their comfort zone and it's working. They're making Steph play defense, Klay drive, Durant take long contested shots, etc. There shouldn't be any talk of Paul or Harden being playoff chokers after this series. We now have a best of 3 with home court advantage, let's do this.

Not a chance. Draymond is the clear 4th best player on that squad and would not be missed all that much IMO as they could find a tall fat dude to sit in the middle and kick dudes in the nuts.

Whoops...I forgot to mention the baggage. They never know when he's going to be ejected or suspended. Early in Game 1 vs the Rockets he got into foul trouble.
Deuce

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed May 23, 2018 12:24 pm

You keep Draymond every time over Klay.
PrimeMinister

Postby acmillis » Wed May 23, 2018 12:29 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:You keep Draymond every time over Klay.

Let's have this discussion.

I say you keep Klay over Green because he's a legit 25+ ppg weapon, why keep Green over that?
acmillis

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed May 23, 2018 12:48 pm

acmillis wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:You keep Draymond every time over Klay.

Let's have this discussion.

I say you keep Klay over Green because he's a legit 25+ ppg weapon, why keep Green over that?

Defense and he is the heart of that team. Draymond legit guards positions 1-5 which provides the Warriors defensive flexibility most teams don’t have. The Warriors are a great offensive teams, but they’re deadly when they play good defense. With Curry and Durant there Draymond doesn’t need to score as much as he used to. Draymond gives Defense, Rebounding, Assists, court Generalship/Leadership all from the 4 position. And he does all of this as a superstar who doesn’t need the ball in his hand. Draymond will affect the game even if he doesn’t score. Klay affects the game if he is hot, but not as much as Draymond consistently.

Playoff Points/Rebounds/Assists for both:
Draymond Playoffs: 11/11/8
Klay Thompson: 19/2/4
PrimeMinister

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed May 23, 2018 2:30 pm

The LA Clippers announced Wednesday that they have agreed to a contract extension with coach Doc Rivers.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Rivers was entering the final season of his contract, which pays him more than $11 million.

"Doc is one of the top coaches in the NBA, coming off one of his finest seasons since joining the Clippers," Clippers chairman Steve Ballmer said in a statement. "We trust Doc to lead a competitive, tough, hard-working team while upholding a culture of accountability expected to resonate throughout the organization."

Rivers completed his fifth season as coach, finishing with a 42-40 record and competing for a Western Conference playoffs spot until the final days of the season. Rivers relinquished his role as president of basketball operations in August, clearing the way for Lawrence Frank to take over that position.

"I am proud of the success we have had here over the last five seasons, but there is more work to be done," Rivers said in the statement. "We are coming off a year where our team battled through many challenges and much adversity, proving deep talent and even greater potential. I am looking forward to getting back to work on the court to develop our players and compete with the NBA's elite."

The Clippers are undergoing a rebuild of sorts. They traded Chris Paul to the Rockets last June and then dealt Blake Griffin to the Pistons in January. They have the 12th and 13th picks in the June 21 draft.

Rivers is 846-624 in his career as a head coach with Orlando, Boston and Los Angeles, including an 82-79 playoff record with two trips to the NBA Finals and an NBA championship in 2008 with the Boston Celtics.

Phantom Phenom

Postby acmillis » Wed May 23, 2018 3:35 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
acmillis wrote:Let's have this discussion.

Defense and he is the heart of that team. Draymond legit guards positions 1-5 which provides the Warriors defensive flexibility most teams don’t have. The Warriors are a great offensive teams, but they’re deadly when they play good defense. With Curry and Durant there Draymond doesn’t need to score as much as he used to. Draymond gives Defense, Rebounding, Assists, court Generalship/Leadership all from the 4 position. And he does all of this as a superstar who doesn’t need the ball in his hand. Draymond will affect the game even if he doesn’t score. Klay affects the game if he is hot, but not as much as Draymond consistently.

I see your point, but I think you're over-valuing his contributions. I agree with the points you made, but I think its his teammates who have the positive effect on him rather than the other way around. He's got lights out shooters all around him so the areas he's lacking in are not in the forefront. If you put him on any other team, I think his contributions would be similar to a Kendrick Perkins on OKC.
acmillis

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed May 23, 2018 9:23 pm

acmillis wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

I see your point, but I think you're over-valuing his contributions. I agree with the points you made, but I think its his teammates who have the positive effect on him rather than the other way around. He's got lights out shooters all around him so the areas he's lacking in are not in the forefront. If you put him on any other team, I think his contributions would be similar to a Kendrick Perkins on OKC.

No disrespect, but if you think Draymond is similar to Kendrick Perkins you don’t know what you’re watching. One the NBA game went faced paced Kendrick Perkins couldn’t stay on the floor because of his limitations on defense.
PrimeMinister

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu May 24, 2018 4:24 am

Celtics!!!
Phantom Phenom

Postby acmillis » Thu May 24, 2018 7:40 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
acmillis wrote:

No disrespect, but if you think Draymond is similar to Kendrick Perkins you don’t know what you’re watching. One the NBA game went faced paced Kendrick Perkins couldn’t stay on the floor because of his limitations on defense.

That is the exact point I'm making. Draymond is being carried by his teammates. You put him on an average team and he'll disappear.
acmillis

Postby Deuce » Thu May 24, 2018 9:07 am

acmillis wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

That is the exact point I'm making. Draymond is being carried by his teammates. You put him on an average team and he'll disappear.

I don't think Klay or Draymond would disappear on another team but I don't see either leading a team to the playoffs as a first option. Both are very good but specialized role players.

Good job to the Celtics. A Rockets-Celtics finals would be awesome!
Deuce

Postby acmillis » Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 am

Deuce wrote:
acmillis wrote:

I don't think Klay or Draymond would disappear on another team but I don't see either leading a team to the playoffs as a first option. Both are very good but specialized role players.

I think this years' finals are going to be garbage. Whoever wins the West is winning the Finals in 5 IMO.
acmillis

Postby Deuce » Thu May 24, 2018 9:28 am

acmillis wrote:
Deuce wrote:

I think this years' finals are going to be garbage. Whoever wins the West is winning the Finals in 5 IMO.

Well, yeah. I'd be really confident against either team. It'd just be nice to see fresh faces.
Deuce

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri May 25, 2018 12:27 pm

Chris Paul out for Game 6 with hamstring injury
Phantom Phenom

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri May 25, 2018 2:52 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Chris Paul out for Game 6 with hamstring injury

****! I really want Houston to win this, but that’s a killer right there.
PrimeMinister

Postby Deuce » Fri May 25, 2018 3:30 pm

If they keep the defensive intensity up, they can still win Game 6. If not, hopefully he's back at 75% or something for Game 7.
Deuce

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports