***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:50 am

DreadNaught wrote:Someone more plugged into the Bolts prospects will have let me know who Hajek and Howden are.

Who takes Vladdy's spot in the first line w/ Stammer and Kuch? Hopefully Point, right?

What role does LW JT Miller fill for us? What line?

I like the trade. Not sure about the prospects we gave up, but got a really good defensmen to address the biggest concern on the team.

Ok...heard about the deal at work and watching the replay now.

Pardon if this has laready been mentioned...I've been following the Bolts top prospects for years now.

First...the old saying goes, "Whoever gets the best player, wins the deal." I've watched a LOT of outlets react to this and most beleive it was a fair deal, with a slight edge (or bigger) to Tampa.

The best player TODAY, is McDonaugh. I hated seeing Howden go because I think he's gonna be a friggin' STUD in 2-3 years. IMO, he was the single best prospect in the organization (that's based only on what I'VE see from him). He's also a true Center. That's prospect GOLD. Hajek is arguably our best defensive prospect. We gave up 2 VERY good prospects and there's no doubt about that. At 19, Howden is a man playing with boys right now...and he's HUGE. Something like 6' 1, 215 pounds. A 19 year old center...that BIG. He's a beast.

The trick here, believe it or not, is JT Miller. He's a VERY GOOD true enter, playing on a very bad team. And he's only 24. I don't know how long we have him for but he's every bit as good as Vlady...and probably better. If we have him for any reasonable term (or we can re-sign him), we win this trade by a large amount...unless Howden becomes a Hart Trophy winner. IF he becomes our 3rd line center, that's just rediculous. We upgraded our offense AND defense. Just checked...Miller is a RFA at the end of this year. Damn.

The first question that comes to mind is: IF this is what we offered OTT...and they PASSED? Dorian is every bit the idiot that I've always said he was.

The truth is...we won't know how we did, for several years. Hajek and Howden may not flesh out. We acquired proven NHL talent. And the best player.

Another interesting note...we were going to lose Vlady anyway. We weren't going to be able to re-sign him because he (essentially) played his way out of town by having such a good year. I also don't mind losing him because a lot of his success was due to playing with Uncle Kuch and Stamkos. You could plug ME into that line and I'd look good.

We did what we had to do to have a great chance at winning the Cup. We didn't give up proven talent.

Trust in Yzerman.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:15 am

DreadNaught wrote:Looking forward to seeing the new Bolts next game.

Tonight was a big win vs a good team. Down Vladdy and Kuch. Still get a W.

Also noted:

I hope y'all saw how Erne played tonight. This is what I've been saying about this guy. He's a bigger version of Killorn, with better scoring ability. I hope he gets the opportunity for more regular ice time. His line was the best tonight (although the Bolts played a great game, across the board).

Just keep in mind...there's gonna be some getting used to over the next few weeks. Especially once McD comes back. The important part is to be full-go come playoff time.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:12 am

Just watched a TON of reaction videos.

The "experts" are saying Yzerman got over on this one. Ranger fan is LOSING HIS MIND.

I'm not sure about Hajek's future...he is kind of superfluous (Sergachev is a MUCH better version)...but Howden is the real deal. I would've preferred to give up ANY other prospect than him. That includes Foote, Cirelli, Matthieu, Soompi, Katchouk...all of them. The "experts" don't yet realize how good of a prospect the Rangers received and the fans don't know who Howden is. The Ranger's organization however, knew EXACTLY what they were asking for. Howden's name wasn't pulled out of their ass, kids.

This was a very FAIR trade. I'd call it even. We (likely) aren't re-signing Miller. He and Vlady are a wash. We gave up 4 assets for McD (excluding the Vlady for Miller swap).

Sounds about right. Again...this is what I thought we'd pull off for Karlsson. I think OTT really believed they were gonna get 6 or 7 assets for Karlsson. As I stated earlier...NOBODY is worth that much (Except for Dorian...who lives in Fantasyland). In the NHL...4 assets are a HUGE deal. McD was considered the 2nd best defenseman "available" (Karlsson really wasn't available). As such, he garnered a huge haul.

This is the genius of Yzerman: We have spent YEARS out-drafting and building the depth of our organization. We had the assets to spend...because the organization is just that good. There are VERY few teams that could afford to lose this much and still be good. The Bolts have a shit-ton of offensive players still in the pipeline. Erne is here. Cirelli and Matthieu are probably here next year...or fighting for a spot...

We done good. Yzerman gave us a legit shot to win the Cup this year...and AT LEAST, next year. After that, Sergachev will be Hedman like and Foote will be nearly ready.
Alpha

Postby Teitan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:05 am

Does Vinik have Yzerman locked into a very long term contract yet?
Teitan

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:27 am

Teitan wrote:Does Vinik have Yzerman locked into a very long term contract yet?

Yzerman has complete autonomy of all hockey operations in Tampa and without knowing his contract status or value I'd imagine Vinik is, or is atleast willing to compensate him as the highest paid GM.

I don't see anyway Yzerman leaves his current situation when he's already got all the power/control and the team he built is at the genesis of (potentially) a really great run.

Maybe in a few years if the Bolts win a few Cups he'll wants a new challenge back up north. But right now I really can't envision a scenario he would leave. He and Vinik have built somethings special here with this team and in the community.
DreadNaught

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:25 pm

I'll be at the game in Dallas on Thursday. I'll be in a black alternate "BOLTS" jersey with a grey cap on. Ya'll lemme know if I make the Fox Sports Sun broadcast lol. I hate that that game is the 3rd game in four days and 2nd on a back-to-back for us. It's essentially a scheduled loss. Play Wednesday at home then travel to a different time zone for a game the very next day. Hate those draws. And without McDonagh, it'll be a tough one. Hopefully Kuch and TJ will be good to go.

Curious if Coop starts Vasy or Domingue on Wednesday against Buffalo. I'm hoping he starts Domingue against the Sabres & saves Vasy for the Stars...not for selfish purposes b/c I wanna see Vasy live, but because that's obviously the tougher game. I know they've usually started Domingue/Budaj on the second night of a back-to-back, but considering the level of competition between Buffalo and Dallas, I'm hoping they switch it up.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:38 pm

pewterpirates wrote:
Curious if Coop starts Vasy or Domingue on Wednesday against Buffalo. I'm hoping he starts Domingue against the Sabres & saves Vasy for the Stars...not for selfish purposes b/c I wanna see Vasy live, but because that's obviously the tougher game. I know they've usually started Domingue/Budaj on the second night of a back-to-back, but considering the level of competition between Buffalo and Dallas, I'm hoping they switch it up.

Makes sense to start Domingue vs. Buffalo...and Coop has done this, this year already so it wouldn't be a shock to see it again.

Looking forward to seeing JT Miller. I think we're gonna be plesantly surprised how good he is when surrounded by a good team.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:35 pm

Alpha wrote:Looking forward to seeing JT Miller. I think we're gonna be plesantly surprised how good he is when surrounded by a good team.

Yeah, there's little chance we'd re-sign him anyways, but I can see him earning himself an even bigger payday with a strong 20 games to finish the regular season and then in the playoffs with us. A lot of people are overlooking Miller being in the trade but it was huge.

I don't remember who it was, but a well-known NHL insider/writer tweeted something about how the trade would've made sense for Tampa Bay if they just acquired McDonagh for that package, but to also land Miller makes it a huge win.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:27 pm

pewterpirates wrote:
Alpha wrote:Looking forward to seeing JT Miller. I think we're gonna be plesantly surprised how good he is when surrounded by a good team.

Yeah, there's little chance we'd re-sign him anyways, but I can see him earning himself an even bigger payday with a strong 20 games to finish the regular season and then in the playoffs with us. A lot of people are overlooking Miller being in the trade but it was huge.

I don't remember who it was, but a well-known NHL insider/writer tweeted something about how the trade would've made sense for Tampa Bay if they just acquired McDonagh for that package, but to also land Miller makes it a huge win.

Agreed. I was shocked that Miller was included, frankly. In hindsight, it makes sense. I'll explain:

I forget the source (I've seen so damn many...but I THINK it was TSN) but apparently, this came down to us and TOR (think how fucked we'd be if he ended up there). TOR wouldn't pony up their top defensive prospect. Yzerman included Hajek and in return, the Rangers included Miller to offset Namenstikov. According to this source, Hajek was the piece that got us McD.

I doubt we'll ever know the full story but TOR is a legit defenseman from winning a Cup. I really believe that. They are already gonna be a bitch to eliminate. Imagine if they had a Hedman or McD on their defense...
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:33 pm

Interestingly...I've been doing some reading about Howden and Hajek. Check out SB Nation...the Rangers page. I think it's called Blueshirt Nation or something like that.

According to their guys, Howden and Hajek aren't the prospects that I think they are. They're saying that Howden projects as a third liner.

I've watched several Moose Jaw games this year. I don't buy it. a 6' 3, 215 lb. CENTER. That can score al LOT. At 19 years old?

I'm no scout...but I hope THEIR projections are right. Unfortunately...I trust OUR projections more than theirs.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:36 pm

pewterpirates wrote:

Yeah, there's little chance we'd re-sign him anyways...

No. We won't. We wouldn't have re-signed Vlady either. That swap was a wash...but the effect is that our bottom line pairings won't suffer, offensively.

I'm gonna look at who we have coming up next year. I think Erne makes the team out of camp. I'll see if Cirelli and/or Matthieu is projected to make the jump and see if either are centers...or play the wing...
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:29 pm

Ok...starting to make more sense why Howden was included.

Anthony Cirelli

20 years old. CENTER. Syracuse crunch. 6' 1, 198 lbs.

Teams leading scorer.

Mathieu Joseph

Just turned 21. RW. 6' 1, 183

2nd leading scorer

Mitchell Stephens

CENTER. Just turned 21.

3rd leading scorer. 6 even. 195 lbs.

Alex Volkov

5th leading scorer. 20 years old.

6' 1, 195. LW.

These guys are known as the "Baby Bolts". They ALL average over .5 pt./gm. They ALL are in their FIRST year in the AHL. This is what Yzerman saw YEARS ago. The NHL is moving AWAY from the "Goon" type of NHL and going smaller, faster, more skilled players (European Style). In the NHL...it's much more difficult to find quality Centers...you can ALWAYS move a center to the wing (this is what they did with Namenestikov). It's much more difficult to move a wing to center.

BTW...their 4th leading scorer is Peca...who has seen time with Tampa.

These 4 guys will be here within 2 years. They will ALL see time here next year. At least ONE of them is gonna be a stud. BTW...these kids are currently 2nd in their division (they started the year poorly because...kids.) They'll win the Calder next year.

Yzerman has absolutely LOADED this franchise with skilled, offensive talent. THAT is why he had no worries about moving Namestnikov.

Then you still have kids like Boris Katchouk and Otto Soompi playing in other leagues...they'll be in the AHL NEXT year. Katchouk may even pull a Point and jump. He's that good.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:55 am

Looks like Vasy is getting the start tonight. I don't get it. We should be able to beat Buffalo with Domingue in net. Save Vasy for Dallas tomorrow...

Also, Johnson likely in tonight. Kucherov doubtful for tonight. Miller will make his debut tonight. And McDonagh out until at least Tuesday....Per Joe Smith.
pewterpirates

Postby Swashy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:01 pm

Nice rundown Alpha but there's a detail you missed regarding Cirelli. The kid is super ****ing clutch. The bigger the situation the bigger he performs.

-tying goal before intermission in WJC

- winning goal in OT in the Memorial Cup

- winning goal in OT in the OHL Championship game

There's another one he had for Canada that was a big deal and I cannot remember which game it was but it was another one of those "ties the game" or "takes the lead" at a pivotal moment of the matchup and it was at that time I noticed that it's not a fluke with him. I look back and there were other times during the OHL playoffs he did stuff like this too.

The kid is just a flat out winner
Swashy

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:43 pm

Swashy wrote:Nice rundown Alpha but there's a detail you missed regarding Cirelli. The kid is super ****ing clutch. The bigger the situation the bigger he performs.

-tying goal before intermission in WJC

- winning goal in OT in the Memorial Cup

- winning goal in OT in the OHL Championship game

There's another one he had for Canada that was a big deal and I cannot remember which game it was but it was another one of those "ties the game" or "takes the lead" at a pivotal moment of the matchup and it was at that time I noticed that it's not a fluke with him. I look back and there were other times during the OHL playoffs he did stuff like this too.

The kid is just a flat out winner

Thanks for sharing!
Phantom Phenom

Postby Alpha » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:13 pm

Swashy wrote:Nice rundown Alpha but there's a detail you missed regarding Cirelli.

There are a ton of details I'm missing with all of them. All four of those guys are gonna be good. I was a little bummed that Howden was included in the deal. I wanted to see what exactly we had in Syracuse that made Yzerman feel comfortable including (in MY opinion), the single best player we had in our organization. I've watched several of the Crunch games and Cirelli is the guy there NOW that the "experts" say is gonna be the next great Lightning scorer. I've seen him play wing and center for Syracuse and was curious as to what we had for centers in Syracuse (considering Howden was a center). Turns out we are LOADED at center.

Gotta trust the Yzerplan.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:54 pm

Interesting 1st period.

The Good Guys have come out flat. Thankfully...it's Buffalo without Eichel. We were outshot (again) but nothing really dangerous. Killed a PP opportunity for BUF. Vasy looks solid and ready.

Conacher with a hustle goal. Girardi...again...I don't know what Ranger Fan was bitching about last year. He's been nothing but solid for us. He put that shot on goal and Conacher takes the rebound. Girardi and Gourde on the assists.

Defense is playing sound (Sustr playing, Koekkoek scratched). Offense is struggling. Mostly dump and chase. The 3rd line is again (Erne/Conacher) providing the spark.

Miller is a nice add. He's friggin' big...and plays big. He's like Killorn but more physical. Especially defensively.

Can't wait to see this team in 15 games...after Kuch and McD have played a while. Could be scary good.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:44 pm

After 2...Bolts up 1-0.

The Bolts look all out of sorts offensively, without Uncle Kuch. Buffalo has (affectively) removed Stamkos from the game and is making ANYONE else beat them. They're clearly playing a heavy defensive game, hoping to grind out an ugly point or two. Buffalo, that is.

Vasy is the best player on the ice. For either team. This is just an ugly, ugly game. I really like JT Miller's physicality. He's gonna be a nice addition come playoff time.

BUF had FAR too much time in the Bolts zone in the 2nd...but not many great scoring chances. The game has been pretty even...maybe tilting slightly in the Sabres favor.

Pretty much a snooze fest...if the Lightning could pot a 2nd goal, the game would seem, essentially, over.
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:15 pm

Vasy does some dumb ****ing **** behind the net...spending way too much in our defensive zone...Get it the **** outta there!
SixStringSamurai

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:32 pm

Well at least we’ll get a point
SixStringSamurai

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:37 pm

****ing bullshit
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:41 pm

Buffalo played better than we did. Simple as that. They played faster, forechecked better (that never happens against us) and played better defense. They EARNED this win.

We got a point...and that IS important. If we play like this tomorrow night, we'll get run out of the building.

Vasy was a BEAST tonight. It'll be nice when he doesn't have to do so much.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:41 pm

Seem like kind of a trap game , team looking ahead to Dallas a bit maybe . A lot of line combinations tonight . J.T. Miller looked good .
Jason Bourne

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:50 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:Seem like kind of a trap game , team looking ahead to Dallas a bit maybe . A lot of line combinations tonight . J.T. Miller looked good .

This makes no ****ing sense...so instead of winning tonight they said **** it, it’s a back to back so we’ll win tomorrow...away?
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:52 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:Seem like kind of a trap game , team looking ahead to Dallas a bit maybe . A lot of line combinations tonight . J.T. Miller looked good .

Not so much a trap game as a WTF game. Kuch out screwed up all kinds of lines. Coop was fishing. Trying to figure out what works, on the fly. BUF showed us tonight, what the playoffs are gonna look like. Without the threat of Kucherov, this team is gonna have problems offensively.

It was weird seeing BUF get the better of us on the forecheck. Teams just don't do that against us. Our 3rd line is essentially the Syracuse Crunch line. I wish we would've brought up Peca instead of Bournival. That dude is an AHL guy...at best.

Meh. I'm off tomorrow. I'm kinda scared to see the game tomorrow night. We could get smoked badly...DAL NEEDS this win. Bish is having a good year. We're playing Domingue. IF Kuch is out tomorrow, the offense might struggle again...

Ugh.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:53 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:

This makes no ****ing sense...so instead of winning tonight they said **** it, it’s a back to back so we’ll win tomorrow...away?

Why is it that you seem to be so livid?

You gonna melt down as well?
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:00 pm

Alpha wrote:

Not so much a trap game as a WTF game. Kuch out screwed up all kinds of lines. Coop was fishing. Trying to figure out what works, on the fly. BUF showed us tonight, what the playoffs are gonna look like. Without the threat of Kucherov, this team is gonna have problems offensively.

It was weird seeing BUF get the better of us on the forecheck. Teams just don't do that against us. Our 3rd line is essentially the Syracuse Crunch line. I wish we would've brought up Peca instead of Bournival. That dude is an AHL guy...at best.

Meh. I'm off tomorrow. I'm kinda scared to see the game tomorrow night. We could get smoked badly...DAL NEEDS this win. Bish is having a good year. We're playing Domingue. IF Kuch is out tomorrow, the offense might struggle again...

Ugh.

I think we come up flying tomorrow , I don't see us having only 12 shots in 2 periods again tomorrow .
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:03 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:

it means maybe they took Buffalo lightly. This is a conjecture here so relax
Jason Bourne

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04 pm

Y’all know me better than that...I get pissed easily. They played like **** tonight even with the lead...they gave that up. I don’t give a **** how good a team is, you can score 3,4,5 a night but when your defense is that atrocious and can’t get the puck out of your defense zone, you aren’t winning and you damn sure aren’t winning a cup.
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:26 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
SixStringSamurai wrote:

it means maybe they took Buffalo lightly. This is a conjecture here so relax

The thing that bothers me is that I don't think we DID take them lightly. The effort was there. Without Kuch...what do we really have? We have a bunch of grinders that play hard, forecheck to make their own offense. Outside of Stamkos and Point (who put one off the post), who do we really have that can score without help or extra effort?

We...above most teams...need to be healthy come playoff time. And don't underestimate the effect Palat will have coming back...

Without Kuch...I really don't like our chances tomorrow night. It's just a BAD spot for us...
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports