***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Nice win over a hot Philly team last night. Great way to enter the all-star break on a 3-game winning streak after a tough 10-day (or so) stretch.

Hopefully it's a fun all-star weekend then the boys will get back to work. I wonder where Hedman is with his injury? It's been more than 2 weeks, and they said it would keep him out 3-6 weeks. I'm hoping it's closer to the 6 weeks than the 3 weeks. He's a top-3 defenseman, but no need to rush him back and risk further injury. Just curious how his recovery is going so far. We obviously won't know with how quiet injuries are in the NHL. I'm just hoping when he comes back, even if it is 6-7 weeks, he comes back as close to 100% as can be at this point of the season and his knee is good to go without risk of further damage.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:40 pm

Also, I don't know how we all missed this, but congrats to Brayden Point for being named an All-Star as Hedman's injury replacement. I didn't see that coming but man this kid deserves it. He's quickly become one of my top 3 favorite players at the moment. And it's awesome he's only 21 years old doing what he's doing. Hopefully he's considered "one of the core pieces" along with Stamkos, Kuch, Hedman and Vasy, and we keep him for the next several years for this run.

I'm looking forward to seeing Coop roll out Stamkos, Kuch & Point with Vasy in net at some point during All-Star Game action.
pewterpirates

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:59 pm

Point has been our most consistent guy. He generally just kicks butt. Routinely. I agree. Him, Uncle Kuch, Vasy, Stammer, and Hedman. That's a solid foundation. We should have a consistent playoff presence. And threaten for the cup every time.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:02 am

pewterpirates wrote:Also, I don't know how we all missed this, but congrats to Brayden Point for being named an All-Star as Hedman's injury replacement. I didn't see that coming but man this kid deserves it. He's quickly become one of my top 3 favorite players at the moment. And it's awesome he's only 21 years old doing what he's doing. Hopefully he's considered "one of the core pieces" along with Stamkos, Kuch, Hedman and Vasy, and we keep him for the next several years for this run.

According to TSN and other Canadians who follow this ****, hard core...the play of Point LAST YEAR, was the main reason we shipped Drouin out. I'm sure his little bitch-fit had something to do with it but Yzerman is no bitch. He wouldn't have sent Drouin out if he had nobody to replace him.

Point HAS to be considered a main part of our future but somebody is gonna have to go. It's a salary cap league. You simply CAN'T pay everyone the big bucks. Stamkos and Hedman signed for below market value. It helped...but Johnson and Palat were re-signed AT maket value. Point, Kucherov AND Vasy all need new contracts within the next 3 (I believe) years. I'll re-check that...

Kucherov is a RFA after the 2018-2019 season
Namestikov is a RFA after THIS YEAR
Point is a RFA after 2018-2019
Vasy after 2019-2020

Also...we lose Coburns terrible contract after NEXT year BUT Strahlman is also an UFA after next year.

* Sourced by CapFriendly

In other words, it's gonna be damn near impossible to keep Point AND Kucherov. And consider that a mortal lock if we extend Namestikov to anywhere NEAR market value after this year (he's gonna be staring at a 4-5 mil/year deal).

The 2 worst contracts we have are Callahan and Killorn...and they BOTH have a No Trade Clause attached. Callahan expires after 2019-2020...in time for a Vasy extension.

Somebody is gonna have to go, in all likelyhood. Kuch is a RW. Point is a C. A Center is more valuable than a RW...usually. Just not centers who put up 50 goals/year and are only 23-24 years old.

I guess this is gonna depend on how Howden, Sommpi, Raddysh and Cirelli develop. Howden and Cirelli are expected to make it up by next year. Maybe.

Yzerman is gonna need some ****ing magic...
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:03 am

Alpha wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:Also, I don't know how we all missed this, but congrats to Brayden Point for being named an All-Star as Hedman's injury replacement. I didn't see that coming but man this kid deserves it. He's quickly become one of my top 3 favorite players at the moment. And it's awesome he's only 21 years old doing what he's doing. Hopefully he's considered "one of the core pieces" along with Stamkos, Kuch, Hedman and Vasy, and we keep him for the next several years for this run.

According to TSN and other Canadians who follow this ****, hard core...the play of Point LAST YEAR, was the main reason we shipped Drouin out. I'm sure his little bitch-fit had something to do with it but Yzerman is no bitch. He wouldn't have sent Drouin out if he had nobody to replace him.

Point HAS to be considered a main part of our future but somebody is gonna have to go. It's a salary cap league. You simply CAN'T pay everyone the big bucks. Stamkos and Hedman signed for below market value. It helped...but Johnson and Palat were re-signed AT maket value. Point, Kucherov AND Vasy all need new contracts within the next 3 (I believe) years. I'll re-check that...

Kucherov is a RFA after the 2018-2019 season
Namestikov is a RFA after THIS YEAR
Point is a RFA after 2018-2019
Vasy after 2019-2020

Also...we lose Coburns terrible contract after NEXT year BUT Strahlman is also an UFA after next year.

* Sourced by CapFriendly

In other words, it's gonna be damn near impossible to keep Point AND Kucherov. And consider that a mortal lock if we extend Namestikov to anywhere NEAR market value after this year (he's gonna be staring at a 4-5 mil/year deal).

The 2 worst contracts we have are Callahan and Killorn...and they BOTH have a No Trade Clause attached. Callahan expires after 2019-2020...in time for a Vasy extension.

Somebody is gonna have to go, in all likelyhood. Kuch is a RW. Point is a C. A Center is more valuable than a RW...usually. Just not centers who put up 50 goals/year and are only 23-24 years old.

I guess this is gonna depend on how Howden, Sommpi, Raddysh and Cirelli develop. Howden and Cirelli are expected to make it up by next year. Maybe.

Yzerman is gonna need some ****ing magic...

Man, you couldn’t post this depressing **** like after we were in the playoffs lol
SixStringSamurai

Postby Buc2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:38 pm

So, is all the above assuming the cap stays static? Or, like the NFL, does the NHL cap increase every year?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby pewterpirates » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:50 pm

Alpha wrote:
The 2 worst contracts we have are Callahan and Killorn...and they BOTH have a No Trade Clause attached

Which is one reason why I was saying the other day that the Killorn deal was bad.

But no need to worry about this now lol. Just enjoy the ride for now bc never know how long it'll last, at least with this group as is.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:51 pm

Point finished 2nd in fastest skater. Solid showing.

Kuch did pretty bad in his event. Vasy struggled in his event.

Hope Stamkos can win fastest shot.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:05 am

pewterpirates wrote:
Alpha wrote:
The 2 worst contracts we have are Callahan and Killorn...and they BOTH have a No Trade Clause attached

Which is one reason why I was saying the other day that the Killorn deal was bad.

As I said...NOBODY on this roster does what Killorn does. Other than old man Callahan. That's what makes it tough to call this a "bad" deal. The term is frustrating but we kinda NEED a player like him.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:29 am

Buc2 wrote:So, is all the above assuming the cap stays static? Or, like the NFL, does the NHL cap increase every year?

The NHL cap is fucked up. I believe these projections are as the cap stands CURRENTLY...because the cap hasn't been projected for next year, as of yet.

THIS year, it's expected to increase slightly...and that's only because of Vegas being a new franchise. Typically, it stays pretty static. I think it actually decreased a little, last year.

The "problem" is the Canadian teams. Not the TEAMS so much as the relative value of the Canadian Dollar vs. the US Dollar. Canadian teams MUST be a part of the NHL but the currency discrepancy weighs down cap options...it's also the main reason why Quebec won't get a team any time soon and (most likely) Seattle will.

The other issue is there is no cap "floor". Teams don't HAVE to spend to the cap. And many teams don't and can't afford to (See: Canadian teams). This is a problem the NHL has faced for years and why they initially started expanding/moving into the Southern US. Moving teams to Carolina, Nashville, Arizona. Expansion teams in FLA, TB, ATL.

The "positive" spin is that NHL owners have MASSIVE leverage over the players, in order to keep salaries in line. Namely...LOCKOUTS. The Players...if they even have a union...are massively weak. I haven't researched it yet and don't know enough about the current collective bargaining agreement between ownership and the players but there is talk of ANOTHER lockout in 2020. There was one fairly recently as well.

It's a strange league. Player salaries are relatively low (in comaprison to other pro sports) but ticket prices are prohibitively high in many markets. Especially in Canada, where the die-hard fans are. Ticket prices are HIGHER in Canada and the average fan makes much less than an American fan.

It's convoluted and probably no easy answer...but the Lightning are really good. Will be really good for the forseeable future. And it's a reasonably priced ticket and a FUN place to see a great game.
Alpha

Postby Teitan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:55 am

Alpha wrote:It's convoluted and probably no easy answer...but the Lightning are really good. Will be really good for the forseeable future. And it's a reasonably priced ticket and a FUN place to see a great game.

Easy answer: Vinik is a badass.
Teitan

Postby Teitan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Kuch with the All-Star game hat trick!
Teitan

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 pm

Teitan wrote:Kuch with the All-Star game hat trick!

That 3rd goal move was sick ... I’ve seen him do that move once before
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:36 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Teitan wrote:Kuch with the All-Star game hat trick!

Just saw the re-play.

That was the SO move he made a year or 2 ago. Still SICK.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:01 am

Alpha wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

Just saw the re-play.

That was the SO move he made a year or 2 ago. Still SICK.

yep i remember that
Jason Bourne

Postby Rocker » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:06 am

Didn’t he use that move earlier this year?
Rocker

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:30 am

Rocker wrote:Didn’t he use that move earlier this year?

yep in a shootout
Jason Bourne

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:02 am

Hedman was seen back skating this weekend and Joe Smith is reporting his absence will be closer to 3 weeks than the initial report of 6 weeks and may even return before the end of the current road trip.

Either way, it's good news for the Bolts.
DreadNaught

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:44 am

DreadNaught wrote:Hedman was seen back skating this weekend and Joe Smith is reporting his absence will be closer to 3 weeks than the initial report of 6 weeks and may even return before the end of the current road trip.

great news , hope doesnt rush it
Jason Bourne

Postby Buc2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:42 am

Last night was the first NHL All Star game I've ever watched. What a blast! I read where Phil Esposito doesn't like the 3v3 format in the AS game, but I sure did. Man, have you ever heard the sound of so many pucks clanging off metal? Especially in that first game. Great standing ovation by Lightning fans for Brian Boyle. I didn't realize he was fighting cancer (Leukemia) and that his 2 year old son was laid up in the hospital after a 4th surgery for some blood vessel deformity in his chin. He said he wasn't going to accept the invite so he could stay with his wife and son at the hospital, but his wife encouraged him to go. The hat trick by our very own Kucherov was awesome. Apparently, Cooper encouraged the players on his bench to throw in their helmets.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:19 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Hedman was seen back skating this weekend and Joe Smith is reporting his absence will be closer to 3 weeks than the initial report of 6 weeks and may even return before the end of the current road trip.

Yep. Heddy is traveling with the team on this four-game roadie. This Thursday would mark week 3 in the initial 3-6 week timeline they announced after the injury. Great news, but hopefully they don't rush him back. No need to; let him get fully rested/healed and let some of the other guys get some ice time.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:21 pm

Also, ya'll need to go check out Erik Karlsson's twitter. It's filled with Bolts fans welcoming him with open arms to Tampa and Bolts fans replying to his tweet about how he should just stay in the Bay area.

He seemed to really enjoy the weekend & loved playing with Stamkos & Kucherov. And he's obviously buddies with Hedman. Idk how Yzerman could acquire him without giving up too much, but it sure would be fun to add Karlsson into the mix for this year's run. And if anyone can do it, Yzer-can.

Can you imagine: Stamkos, Kucherov, Namestnikov/Point, Hedman and Karlsson all on the ice at the same time with Vasy in net? My goodness.
pewterpirates

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:28 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Also, ya'll need to go check out Erik Karlsson's twitter. It's filled with Bolts fans welcoming him with open arms to Tampa and Bolts fans replying to his tweet about how he should just stay in the Bay area.

He seemed to really enjoy the weekend & loved playing with Stamkos & Kucherov. And he's obviously buddies with Hedman. Idk how Yzerman could acquire him without giving up too much, but it sure would be fun to add Karlsson into the mix for this year's run. And if anyone can do it, Yzer-can.

Can you imagine: Stamkos, Kucherov, Namestnikov/Point, Hedman and Karlsson all on the ice at the same time with Vasy in net? My goodness.

I saw that ...some funny stuff on there . Looks like he stayed with the Hedmans while he was here .
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:56 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
Rocker wrote:Didn’t he use that move earlier this year?

yep in a shootout

That SO was THIS year? I thought it was last year...but it was the only other times he's used that outside of practice.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:21 am

pewterpirates wrote:Also, ya'll need to go check out Erik Karlsson's twitter. It's filled with Bolts fans welcoming him with open arms to Tampa and Bolts fans replying to his tweet about how he should just stay in the Bay area.

According to local sports talk radio, he was asked/told directly by a fan, on the red carpet, he should come play for us.

Karlsson's response was (allegedly) a smile and a "you never know"...

It's my understanding that he's signed through NEXT year...so his rental price would be higher. The other "obstacle" is that sending Coburn to Ottawa would HAVE to be a part of the deal (salary cap reasons), costing us even more. Add to that cost, the fact that OTT would be sending him to a division rival.

And let's not forget that it's highly unlikely, we'd be able to re-sign him after next year. He'd easily demand a Hedman-type contract.

A rental-trade would probably look something like:

1) An NHL ready D-man (Koekkoek or Sustr...most likely Koekkoek)
2) A high prospect that is close to ready (think Howden or Cirelli)
3) A high draft pick...maybe even a 1st rounder.

That's 3 assets. And that may not be enough. This might be a 4 asset trade...although 3 might do it.

That's pretty steep but probably do-able...especially considering we get Coburn's contract off the books.

Holy ****...I just checked out Karlsson's contract situation. He-s signed through NEXT year...at 6.5 MIL/yr. We have about 2 mil available. Coburn would get us another 3.7 mil. Koekkoek would get us another 800k. (Sustr would get us 1.95 however.)

So Koekkoek included WOULD get us there...barely. IF we were forced to include Sustr instead of Koekkoek, we'd probably have to include another asset; either a high-ish draft pick or a lesser prospect?

Ok...say we have to throw in our 2019 3rd rounder as well.

I'd hate to lose Howden (who I think is gonna be a STUD) but I'd likely do that deal. Karlsson, Hedman, Strahlman, Sergachev, Girardi, Dotchin and Sustr? 2 Norris contenders on the same defense? HO-LEE ****. That's easily the best top-4 blue-line in the NHL.

****. I think I'd be ok with that deal but I'd be ok not doing it as well...

Maybe I'll just let Yzerman work his magic. Maybe he can Jedi Mind-Fuck Ottawa into paying part of Karlsson's deal as well. LMAO!
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:45 am

He (Karlsson) also (according to radio hacks) had dinner with Hedman and Stamkos. There was heavy speculation that the recruitment pitch was hot and heavy.

The man-love for Karlsson here is BIG-TIME. The sports section of the local rag had him front page, dressed as a pirate for Gasparilla...because...who wouldn't want to be a pirate!? He seemed to be having a great time.

The other interesting angle is the INCREASE in pay he'd receive by moving here. No state income tax. When you're making 6.5 mil a year, I would imagine that's a pretty substantial increase.
Alpha

Postby Swashy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:29 am

The Karlsson chatter is nice but it's not realistic or feasible to acquire him unless it can be done for something like Mathieu Joseph (AHL prospect) Slater Koekkoek, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick. Otherwise if we go ahead and trade someone like Johnson our scoring depth will take a hit. The most we could possibly give up is Sergachev and even then that means we'll have to cap dump anyway to keep Karlsson. Otherwise you just traded a player you can have for a dozen years with great play for a guy that'll be great for about 5 or 6 years. It's best we just wait until he's a UFA and make our pitch to Karlsson then.

And plus he's the captain of the Senators. I have to imagine that for as much fun as he had here he would feel like he's turning his back on an entire city if he just up and left. The best thing he can do is re-sign there in good faith on a short term deal to see if the team is gonna get its act together. Something like 2 years -which makes it 3 years from now. And if Eugene Melnyk wants to keep acting like the NHL's Hugh Culverhouse then no one is going to so much as raise their voice if Karlsson says "**** it I'm gone" after that. Do you know what that ***hole Melnyk did? Not too long ago (I think in the last 2 years) he was on his death bed crying to fans for help because he was in need of a liver transplant. A fan donated on the condition that Ottawa wins the Cup. A few months ago he comes out saying "I'm not spending my hard earned money on a hockey team. I'm not selling the team, if things got bad I'd just as soon move the team" and this was in the back drop of the NHL's 100 year anniversary game!

Karlsson could leave now and be justified but in an unspoken sort of way I don't think his business with Ottawa is concluded yet. I mean people still get on Jaromir Jagr about leaving Pittsburgh and that happened like 20 years ago. But if he wants to come to Tampa Bay NOW then I welcome him with open arms at a reasonable cost. If we're gonna lose Point, Sergachev, our best prospects and draft picks then **** it. I'd just as soon bide my time.
Swashy

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:48 pm

Holy crap.

Joe Smith says Hedman is a game-time decision for tonight.......
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:53 pm

Domingue in net tonight.
pewterpirates

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Holy crap.

Joe Smith says Hedman is a game-time decision for tonight.......

They should let him sit ... no need to rush it
Jason Bourne

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports