***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Kress wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
i think vasy should of played but we will see

Can people realize that it's not should of? It's should have. For ****'s sake. Speak English.

He should of played tonight

I will speak how I want and maybe you should blow me
Jason Bourne

Postby SixStringSamurai » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:53 pm

Well that was a bullshit call but whatever...don’t even know what the **** a penalty is or goaltender interference anymore
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:Well that was a bullshit call but whatever...don’t even know what the **** a penalty is or goaltender interference anymore

My initial thought after watching the replay was that it was gonna be close. Call could've gone either way. The puck was/wasn't past Domingue by the time the interference occured. But I agree...I have NO IDEA what goalie interferrence is...

Interesting how our slump coincides with our lack of getting calls. Callahan (who is playing one helluva game) was CLEARLY tripped like a motherfucker...and NOTHING. It's like the Bolts have been playing playoff hocker for the last 2 weeks. They can't buy a penalty unless it's just egregious.

As for tonights game...after the first 10 minutes, they've played hard and well. Sergachev was a healthy scratch tonight. THAT was an interesting move and it's thrown our PK/PP into flux. I understand the move...I think, in the long term, it will do him good but it may cost us tonight.

Stamkos AND Kuch are still struggling. This is nuts. Stammer made a great pass on the 2nd goal but it's unreal how we're totally relying on our 3rd and 4th lines to score.

Shocking that we're struggling to score more than 2 goals a game...
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:56 pm

LOL!

****...if that's all I needed to do to get Stammer to score, I woulda done it a week ago!

Tough, gritty win by the good guys. Pretty much outplayed the Preds after the first 10 minutes.

It STILL kills me how big the Western Conference defenders are in comparison to the Eastern guys. The Preds are HUGE on defense.

But again...speed kills.

Nice win.
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:44 am

Whew!
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:50 am

I’m just glad we had Domingue in net. Imagine if Budaj was in there holy ****.
SixStringSamurai

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:10 am

Huge win on a daunting road back-to-back. Entering those two games, I would've been thrilled with 1 win, but to sweep both games? Awesome. First win in Nashville in 10 years. Domingue was a stud. I think he's proven he deserves to be the full-time backup over Budaj, but I doubt they go that way.

I also think it was good for Sergachev to be a scratch. He had been slumping. He was called for a 4-minute penalty vs. Chicago (BS call btw). I think he was feeling a little too much pressure trying to be Hedman. Hopefully after sitting last night and seeing the team win he'll realize to play his game and loosen up a bit.

I don't think the NHL itself even knows what goalie interference is. If that wasn't goalie interference, I don't know what is. Anyone see the Lightning's Twitter post of the final score? They put "The correct outcome." LOL. Throwing major shade at the refs & NHL.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:32 am

pewterpirates wrote:Domingue was a stud. I think he's proven he deserves to be the full-time backup over Budaj, but I doubt they go that way.

I agree with the first part. I think Domingue is clearly playing better than Budaj, in his opportunities. I know I feel more confident when Domingue is playing...you just KNOW Budaj is giving up 4 goals. Minimum.

I think they both would have to clear waivers and I think Budaj would have a better chance at doing that (given his age relative to Domingue).

I also think Cooper and Yzerman will make the right decision.
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:53 pm

Alpha wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:Domingue was a stud. I think he's proven he deserves to be the full-time backup over Budaj, but I doubt they go that way.

I agree with the first part. I think Domingue is clearly playing better than Budaj, in his opportunities. I know I feel more confident when Domingue is playing...you just KNOW Budaj is giving up 4 goals. Minimum.

I think they both would have to clear waivers and I think Budaj would have a better chance at doing that (given his age relative to Domingue).

I don't understand. If they're already on the team, why do they have to clear waivers? I don't have much of an understanding of NHL rules as they pertain to player personnel.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:20 pm

Phantom Phenom

Postby Alpha » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:59 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Alpha wrote:

I don't understand. If they're already on the team, why do they have to clear waivers? I don't have much of an understanding of NHL rules as they pertain to player personnel.

I believe they have to clear waivers IF (and when) one of them is sent down to the minors.
Alpha

Postby Kress » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 pm

Alpha wrote:I also think Yzerman will make the right decision.

Going out on a ledge with that one, aren't you? The guy is a Jedi master ninja samurai wizard.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:21 pm

Kress wrote:
Alpha wrote:I also think Yzerman will make the right decision.

Going out on a ledge with that one, aren't you? The guy is a Jedi master ninja samurai wizard.

Right?

I meant to say I trust Yzerman and Coop to make the right decision, in regards to which goalie they attempt to send down.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:24 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Similar to what happened to JT Brown earlier this year. He was waiver eligible and was claimed (by Anaheim) when we attempted to send him to Syracuse.

What I DON'T understand, is what circumstances make a player "waiver eligible".
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:59 pm

And as a public service announcement...if ANY of you are "newer" to hockey or didn't grow up with it (like myself), I highly recommend subscribing to and following "The Hockey Guy" on YouTube and/or following a website called "The Hockey Writers".

The Hockey Guy is just a regular dude (not a journalist or talking head) out of Vancouver that has TONS of videos on all subjects pertaining to hockey (history, rules, results, previews, etc.) He has multiple videos DAILY and is an entertaining watch.

The Hockey Writers ARE journalists but follow things like News, Rumors, Inside Sources, etc. pertaining to the NHL. They also have a section dedicated to RULES...with easy to understand explanations. Unclear what constitutes icing? They've got you covered. They has a neat article on Yzerman's trade-deadline history today, for example.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:51 am

Alpha wrote:They has a neat article on Yzerman's trade-deadline history today, for example.

I read that, too. Got me wondering, if we do make a move, who would we have to give up? I love our core guys so much, I'd hate to see someone like Namestnikov or Gourde traded, even if it brought in a top 4 defenseman. It will certainly be interesting.

Like has been said 73 times here, if our current roster is healthy entering the playoffs, no one can really beat us in a 7-game series. And while I believe there is a move or two that could help us, we're also set up pretty well (when healthy).
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:25 am

pewterpirates wrote:
Alpha wrote:They has a neat article on Yzerman's trade-deadline history today, for example.

I read that, too. Got me wondering, if we do make a move, who would we have to give up? I love our core guys so much, I'd hate to see someone like Namestnikov or Gourde traded, even if it brought in a top 4 defenseman. It will certainly be interesting.

A LEFT HANDED defenseman would be #1 on my list...but Hedman's injury is gonna turn out to be a blessing. He's due to come back right around the trade deadline (end of February). In the meantime, Koekkoek and Sustr are getting a ton of ice time. We're finally gonna see if either one of them are worth keeping.

A lot of it depends on who we have at Syracuse, that is ready to come up NOW. We do have a couple of contracts that would be nice to move (Killorn and Coburn come to mind) as well.

There ARE things that can be done...Yzerman just has to figure out if they're worth doing. And he will.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:55 am

Alpha wrote:A LEFT HANDED defenseman would be #1 on my list...but Hedman's injury is gonna turn out to be a blessing. He's due to come back right around the trade deadline (end of February). In the meantime, Koekkoek and Sustr are getting a ton of ice time. We're finally gonna see if either one of them are worth keeping.

A lot of it depends on who we have at Syracuse, that is ready to come up NOW. We do have a couple of contracts that would be nice to move (Killorn and Coburn come to mind) as well.

There ARE things that can be done...Yzerman just has to figure out if they're worth doing. And he will.

Do you think giving Killorn that contract is one of Yzerman's biggest "mistakes"? Granted, there's not many mistakes he's made lol.

When that contract was announced, it was a pretty big surprise. I like Killer, but he hasn't really lived up to that contract yet.
pewterpirates

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:14 pm

pewterpirates wrote:
Alpha wrote:A LEFT HANDED defenseman would be #1 on my list...but Hedman's injury is gonna turn out to be a blessing. He's due to come back right around the trade deadline (end of February). In the meantime, Koekkoek and Sustr are getting a ton of ice time. We're finally gonna see if either one of them are worth keeping.

Do you think giving Killorn that contract is one of Yzerman's biggest "mistakes"? Granted, there's not many mistakes he's made lol.

When that contract was announced, it was a pretty big surprise. I like Killer, but he hasn't really lived up to that contract yet.

he seems to be more clutch in the playoffs for some reason
Jason Bourne

Postby Kress » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:38 pm

Sounds like Vasy is going tonight. Go Bolts!
Kress

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:00 pm

Kress wrote:Sounds like Vasy is going tonight. Go Bolts!

He should of played last game
Jason Bourne

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:46 pm

Sergachev not expected to be in the lineup tonight for a second straight game.
pewterpirates

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:59 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Sergachev not expected to be in the lineup tonight for a second straight game.

Heard they sat him last game due to taking a dumb penalty ... must still be in timeout
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:20 pm

Bolts looking good so far !

LETS GO LIGHTNING !
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:22 pm

YANNI !
Jason Bourne

Postby Rocker » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:39 pm

What a play by Callahan!
Rocker

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:40 pm

Rocker wrote:What a play by Callahan!

That was a sweet shorty !
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:28 am

pewterpirates wrote:

It's tough for me to say if it was a "mistake" or not. Typically, player contracts (as a general rule of thumb), average approximately 1 mil per 10 points scored. From that standpoint, we seem to have way overpaid for Killorn...but we don't have many guys that can do what he does...and we have NOBODY that is young and can do what he does. To me, he's a younger version of Callahan. He's a BIG, "power" forward. He does the dirty work and has the size to do it. We have "scrappy" types that do...Gourde and Point, etc. but you do need SOME size...and he's about all we've got.

The guy I THOUGHT we had (and still might), is injured right now and it's Adam Erne. Erne is playing well in Syracuse and it's speculated that HE would've been one of the call-ups if he were healthy. He has the size and is a natural scorer (unlike Killorn).

I gues...when it's all said and done...if the Killorn contract is Yzerman's biggest mistake...I can live with that.
Alpha

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:39 am

Lightning flipped the switch back on! Nice series going into the break. I guess Alpha was right about keeping our tits calm. Mine are still a bit perky, but calmer now.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:47 pm

Kress wrote:Lightning flipped the switch back on! Nice series going into the break. I guess Alpha was right about keeping our tits calm. Mine are still a bit perky, but calmer now.

82 games is a long-ass season. Especially in the NHL...it doesn't really matter if you make the playoffs as a 1 seed or an 8 seed.

One trend that is pretty clear...and has been for about 3 weeks now:

Teams we play have moved to an "Anyone but Kucherov" type defense. When he and Stamkos are on the same line, it's an "Any line but THIS line" defense. Teams are forcing Johnson, Gourde, Point, Namestikov and the like to score...or we lose. It's gotta be a weird feeling for a guy who is used to being the "set up guy" for known scorers, to have to change his mind-set into a shoot-first way of thinking.

It'll be an interesting last couple months of the season, for sure.
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports