***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:04 pm

Kress wrote:How about you? Are you available?

He is available
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:53 pm

Kress wrote:How about you? Are you available?

I'm cheap.

And easy.

Ok...I'm pretty much a sure thing.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:37 pm

Tampa is the preferred destination for Erik Karlsson. I’ve gotten that from a couple of sources. I guess he and Hedman are close.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:40 pm

Don't know if it's all for nothing but T. Johnson's NTC has kicked in (as of midnight).

No news on anything. I suppose (unless they're waiting to announce), we're rolling with this same team next year.
Alpha

Postby Teitan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:21 am

McDonagh extended 7 year/$47.25M deal.
Teitan

Postby Commander Bubbles » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:35 am

Teitan wrote:McDonagh extended 7 year/$47.25M deal.

Nice move! And not a bad contract. Wonder if there’s any truth to Karlsson wanting to come here.

Hearing Tavares may either go to San Jose or Toronto.
Commander Bubbles

Postby Commander Bubbles » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:50 am

Chris Kunitz is a Blackhawk. 1 year deal.
Commander Bubbles

Postby Commander Bubbles » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:20 pm

Tavares signs with Toronto.

Their defense still sucks, but damn.
Commander Bubbles

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:26 pm

Teitan wrote:McDonagh extended 7 year/$47.25M deal.

Excellent news!!
Phantom Phenom

Postby Alpha » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Commander Bubbles wrote:Tavares signs with Toronto.

Their defense still sucks, but damn.

As offensively talented as ANY team in the NHL.

But they needed defense. Badly. And they still need defense. Badly.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:46 pm

Somebody help a brother out.

Granted...I've been following (mainly) Canadian channels today so the opinion is skewed...but exactly how are the Maple Leaf's now "favored" to win the East? This seems to be the prevailing opinion amongst the sources I've been following.

I concede that they will probably overtake the Lightning as the league leaders in goals scored. And the Lightning were #1 in the league so this isn't a given.

TOR bugaboo was/is defense...and goaltending (come playoff time). How exactly does Tavares help this? During the regular season, I suppose you can (somewhat) rely on out-scoring other teams...but I'm failing to see how this makes them a favorite over BOS...much less TB.

And this is far from sour grapes. I didn't want Tavares. I'm much happier with the re-signing of McD. We have plenty of offense. Our defense needs to be the priority. TOR, on the other hand...is STILL working with a poor defense. Unless they have studs coming up from the AHL...I don't know much about their farm system (other than the Marlies winning the Calder Cup).

I simply thought our being mentioned as "One of the teams Tavares would meet with" was obnoxious and cheeky as hell.

Does anyone else really think that Toronto is now the favorite to win the East?
Alpha

Postby Kress » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:09 am

No, and this is the same as the Lakers being a juggernaut now with Lebron. It's just post-signing honeymoon hype. It will simmer down once the games start, and maybe even work against them when *gasp* they can't live up to their billing.

They're a top 4 or so team in the east, but I easily put TB ahead of them still.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:06 am

Kress wrote:No, and this is the same as the Lakers being a juggernaut now with Lebron. It's just post-signing honeymoon hype. It will simmer down once the games start, and maybe even work against them when *gasp* they can't live up to their billing.

They're a top 4 or so team in the east, but I easily put TB ahead of them still.

Come playoff time...I agree.

They're (essentially) in the same spot they were last year. With a slightly better offense (they did lose Van Riemsdyk).

I just am not seeing where they have improved their chances of winning a Cup. Maybe they finish 1st or 2nd in the east? And they still get blown out in the fist round of the playoffs without improving their defense...
Alpha

Postby Swashy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:33 pm

So a Karlsson to Tampa deal has allegedly been imminent all day long. Hold onto your butts, pour some coffee, take a piss and smoke em if you got em. If all these apparent nonsense looking rumors that are clearly being leaked from the Sens to drive up the price of Karlsson have even the slightest credibility then we're in for the NHL version of an earthquake. The big kind that takes out mountains and ****.
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:38 pm

Edit: lmfao apparently some TSN hack jumped the gun. Of course what else to expect?
Swashy

Postby Rocker » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:11 pm

Swashy wrote:Edit: lmfao apparently some TSN hack jumped the gun. Of course what else to expect?

We never had the cash or assests to land him. You played yourself.
Rocker

Postby Alpha » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:46 pm

Rocker wrote:We never had the cash or assests to land him.

I disagree. We actually do have the assets. The question is, what and how many would Yzerman feel comfortable parting with?

A deal for Karlsson...and getting him to extend...would require some contract dumping. I think he's for 6.5 mil THIS YEAR. Any extension wouldn't kick in until next year.

It would also mean that Kuch is not re-signing. Period.

On the flip side, our defensive problem that kicks in after next year, would be all but solved.

When it's all said and done, IF Tampa is involved, it feels like it would (realistically) have to be a 3-way deal.

The thing that stumps me is that Vegas could easily put together a package to get EK AND has plenty of room to extend him...all by themselves.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Unlike Tavares, I do think The Bolts have a real shot at getting Karlsson. It scares me to even think about the possibility. How ridiculous does this look:

Hedman - Stralman

McD - Karlsson

Sergachev - Girardi

It's almost unfair. If I were Bettman, I'd disallow this deal. You would have (arguably), 3 of the 5 best defensmen in the league, playing on one team.

In the end, this is like dreaming about what you'd do with the money, if you won the Lottery. Fun to think about for a minute but not really worth wasting significant time on unless and until it actually happens.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:59 am

Alpha wrote:
Rocker wrote:We never had the cash or assests to land him.

I disagree. We actually do have the assets. The question is, what and how many would Yzerman feel comfortable parting with?

A deal for Karlsson...and getting him to extend...would require some contract dumping. I think he's for 6.5 mil THIS YEAR. Any extension wouldn't kick in until next year.

On the flip side, our defensive problem that kicks in after next year, would be all but solved.

When it's all said and done, IF Tampa is involved, it feels like it would (realistically) have to be a 3-way deal.

The thing that stumps me is that Vegas could easily put together a package to get EK AND has plenty of room to extend him...all by themselves.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Unlike Tavares, I do think The Bolts have a real shot at getting Karlsson. It scares me to even think about the possibility. How ridiculous does this look:

Hedman - Stralman

McD - Karlsson

Sergachev - Girardi

It's almost unfair. If I were Bettman, I'd disallow this deal. You would have (arguably), 3 of the 5 best defensmen in the league, playing on one team.

In the end, this is like dreaming about what you'd do with the money, if you won the Lottery. Fun to think about for a minute but not really worth wasting significant time on unless and until it actually happens.

Vegas already had a deal with Ottawa for Karlsson twice and they both fell apart over Vegas’ refusal to trade Cody Glass, their first ever draft pick.

Ottawa is holding out for Glass but if Vegas hasn’t traded him yet I doubt they will. I think Tampa can get him if they clear space and trade Sergachev, you know that is who they want.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:49 am

Brazen331 wrote:Vegas already had a deal with Ottawa for Karlsson twice and they both fell apart over Vegas’ refusal to trade Cody Glass, their first ever draft pick.

Ottawa is holding out for Glass but if Vegas hasn’t traded him yet I doubt they will. I think Tampa can get him if they clear space and trade Sergachev, you know that is who they want.

Here's the problem for OTT: They aren't negotiating from a position of strength. They aren't getting Glass OR Sergachev. It's just not gonna happen. EVERYONE and their brother knows EK is getting traded. OTT is fucked. They'll get a return but nothing like they could've had at the trade deadline...before all of their drama became public.

I DO think Tampa would give up Foote. I would be surprised but not SHOCKED if Kuch was part of the deal either. There is a reason why Tampa is in the picture...and by many sources, the leading candidate, for EK. We HAVE to be offering something of substantial value to even be in the discussion. We don't even have a first round pick next year so my assumption is that we're offering NHL ready talent. Kuch can't be re-signed for 10/11 Mil next year...and we ain't getting a discount from him. My guess is that he is being discussed. Tyler Johnson would be my next guess but his NMC has kicked in...and his value isn't enough (by itself), to make OTT listen. I've also heard Cirelli's name being thrown around. Probably a good, offensive prospect as well (Katchouk, Volkov, Matthieu?)

We have the space for EK, THIS YEAR, at 6.5 Mil...if we throw in a mid-range contract (Coburn, for example).

There are a LOT of moving parts here, which is why I think this is a 3-way deal. Not even counting Bobby Ryan (who OTT is DYING to get rid of).

Again...we have a REAL need for a defenseman that we can sign past next year...much more so than offensive talent...which is why I didn't really think we'd sign Tavares. Clearing the space to re-sign EK would be a key for Yzerman, IMO...or this deal isn't really worth doing.

I guess we'll all find out soon.

I still think EK gets traded to Vegas.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:37 am

Swashy wrote:Edit: lmfao apparently some TSN hack jumped the gun. Of course what else to expect?

Just reading about this now.

As I suspected...the "done deal" was with the Rangers and Tampa. Reportedly, Ryan was NOT a part of it. That's surprising.

This is more than "Ottawa driving up the price". There is a REAL possibility that Tampa could acquire EK. I'd probably faint...but whatever.

Then there is the second part of this story:

There is apparently a THIRD team (my guess is Vegas), that told OTT, "Get your best deal and then come talk to us".

There were MULTIPLE reports that there was a deal in place with the Rangers and Tampa...and then there wasn't. This would jibe with the Vegas angle. I just get the feeling that Vegas is getting EK. Glass could be a part of it...especially if Kuch is a part of Tampa's offer. Vegas would then HAVE to part with Glass to even get OTT to listen. Even then...OTT would have to take a 100 pt. scorer, who is only 25 years old, over a PROSPECT. Granted...a talented prospect...but still a prospect.

This is gonna be FUBAR. I'm a little shook trying to figure out exactly what we'd have to give up to get Karlsson.

If we give up LESS than Kuch and Foote (plus draft picks)...I'd be THRILLED. It's simply the fact that Vegas has more of EVERYTHING (picks, prospects, etc.) to get EK, that makes me think they get him, if they REALLY want him.

BTW... as "Plan B"...IF the Bolts lose out on Karlsson, look for them to make a run at Faulk (CAR)...or another defenseman from them. CAR is LOADED at defense (like NASH).
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:16 am

Alpha wrote:

As I suspected...the "done deal" was with the Rangers and Tampa. Reportedly, Ryan was NOT a part of it. That's surprising.

This is more than "Ottawa driving up the price". There is a REAL possibility that Tampa could acquire EK. I'd probably faint...but whatever.

There is apparently a THIRD team (my guess is Vegas), that told OTT, "Get your best deal and then come talk to us".

There were MULTIPLE reports that there was a deal in place with the Rangers and Tampa...and then there wasn't. This would jibe with the Vegas angle. I just get the feeling that Vegas is getting EK. Glass could be a part of it...especially if Kuch is a part of Tampa's offer. Vegas would then HAVE to part with Glass to even get OTT to listen. Even then...OTT would have to take a 100 pt. scorer, who is only 25 years old, over a PROSPECT. Granted...a talented prospect...but still a prospect.

This is gonna be FUBAR. I'm a little shook trying to figure out exactly what we'd have to give up to get Karlsson.

If we give up LESS than Kuch and Foote (plus draft picks)...I'd be THRILLED. It's simply the fact that Vegas has more of EVERYTHING (picks, prospects, etc.) to get EK, that makes me think they get him, if they REALLY want him.

BTW... as "Plan B"...IF the Bolts lose out on Karlsson, look for them to make a run at Faulk (CAR)...or another defenseman from them. CAR is LOADED at defense (like NASH).

I think he is Tampa bound and you can thank the infamous Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat trade. McPhee is scared of making the same mistake twice.

Vegas thinks Glass is the next Mark Scheifele. I would be shocked if they part with him so if Ottawa insists, he is going to Tampa.
Brazen331

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:18 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Hedman - Stralman

McD - Karlsson

Sergachev - Girardi

Vegas already had a deal with Ottawa for Karlsson twice and they both fell apart over Vegas’ refusal to trade Cody Glass, their first ever draft pick.

unfortunatly i think you are correct... i really dont want to trade a 20 yr old phenom tho
Jason Bourne

Postby Swashy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:56 am

Alpha wrote:

Faulk is a great plan B indeed.

But otherwise **** Ottawa. Seriously **** em til they die. They literally leaked a done deal to the TSN correspondent and either got cold feet or just did it to put the squeeze on Dallas and Vegas
Swashy

Postby Alpha » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:10 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Alpha wrote:

I think he is Tampa bound and you can thank the infamous Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat trade. McPhee is scared of making the same mistake twice.

Vegas thinks Glass is the next Mark Scheifele. I would be shocked if they part with him so if Ottawa insists, he is going to Tampa.

It makes absolutely ZERO sense to trade Sergachev. I think y'all are wrong on this one.

There are 4 other players it makes more sense for Yzerman to trade than him...and those players are ALL as valuable as Sergachev.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:28 am

To follow up...a trade including Sergachev would be considered, AT BEST, a sideways move. At worst, a fleecing. The main reason is because Sergachev is cost-controlled for a few more years. There is no tangible net benefit for Yzerman to include him.

And Yzerman doesn't get fleeced. He does the fleecing.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:51 pm

Just got home from work. Apparently no news as of today.

The one thing that should be mentioned...IF Kucherov is a part of any deal (which one would suppose he would HAVE to be), we would automatically clear enough space to pay Karlsson for this upcoming season.

When this is all said and done...and assuming we don't acquire EK...I would LOVE to know what we offered, Maybe...just maybe...one of the Canadian outlets will be able to get that information.

I still don't think we get him. I do believe that if we were going to, it would've been done today. The lack of news is mildly surprising...
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:11 am

I owe an apology to Swashy.

My bad, dude. I was in my cups and what I wrote was rude.
Rocker

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:15 am

Alpha wrote:Just got home from work. Apparently no news as of today.

The one thing that should be mentioned...IF Kucherov is a part of any deal (which one would suppose he would HAVE to be), we would automatically clear enough space to pay Karlsson for this upcoming season.

When this is all said and done...and assuming we don't acquire EK...I would LOVE to know what we offered, Maybe...just maybe...one of the Canadian outlets will be able to get that information.

I still don't think we get him. I do believe that if we were going to, it would've been done today. The lack of news is mildly surprising...

Kuch is perfect trade bait. There is no way you can give Karlsson 11 million and Kuch 9 million or whatever he wants. So, since you can’t give extensions to both these guys...problem is...that cheap-ass Ottawa owner probably doesn’t want to pay Kuch either.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:12 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Alpha wrote:Just got home from work. Apparently no news as of today.

Kuch is perfect trade bait. There is no way you can give Karlsson 11 million and Kuch 9 million or whatever he wants. So, since you can’t give extensions to both these guys...problem is...that cheap-ass Ottawa owner probably doesn’t want to pay Kuch either.

This is fairly easy to understand WHY this is taking so long. There are several reasons...but CONNECTED...they make sense.

1) Dorian isn't very good at his job. This is a fairly well known fact around the league. Look at the available sources...this isn't me talking out of my ass. Dorian is a chump.

2) It seems obvious. OTT wants to be rid of Ryan's contract. In order to do that with TB, there needs to be a 3rd team involved. There ARE teams that can take the contract...and extend EK...but they're (obviously) offering less to OTT in return for Karlsson.

3) Tampa is (fairly obviously) offering more in ACTUAL TALENT (Kuch/Foote...maybe Cirelli) but isn't willing (or able) to take Ryan's contract. Leaving OTT in an either/or position; do you take NHL ready talent NOW or do you clear the space (by getting rid of Ryan's contract) and risk the wrath of your fans by getting a lesser return on Karlsson?

The hold up would be (from Tampa's end)...can you get EK to extend past this year BEFORE making this deal? If not, you don't do the trade. Pretty simple. This STILL requires another team taking a bad contract or 2. Callahan and Coburn come to mind. And that will cost us MORE player(s)/ picks. Presumably to this (mystery) 3rd team.
And there is NO WAY Kuch extends in OTT without them making him the highest payed player in the league.

There are hundreds of moving parts to this potential deal. I still think (ultimately) Vegas gets this done. They get EK AND the Ryan contract. Buy out Ryan. They have a TON of prospects AND picks to offer in return.

I suspect that the reason why this deal isn't done by now is that the Senators are waiting to see IF Tampa can negotiate a deal to extend Karlsson. IF we can, we get EK. If not, EK goes to the next highest bidder.

And these are the reasons why Point and Sergachev won't be a part of any potential deal. First...there is no NEED. Kuch is a 25 year old, 100 POINT PLAYER. That is worth a TON. Second...there is no dire need for Tampa to do this deal AND OTT HAS to deal Karlsson at some point. Thus, OTT isn't dealing a strong hand, here. We could roll with THIS team next year...and be in contention for the Cup. Karlsson is leaving OTT. Period.

The waiting kills me. It's like we're being dangled here. Either get him or don't. Just make it happen soon!
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:15 am

Vegas would have to make moves too to take on Ryan. They have about 19 mill in cap and have Karlsson and Miller in arbitration and Theodore and Carrier are RFAs.

I think EK and Ryan cost 14 mill next year. Nobody wants to take on Ottawa’s mistake. They should just buy him out; that’s a lot a cap for a declining player.
Brazen331

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports