***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Gotta stay out of the box
Jason Bourne

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:21 pm

why Is that we can’t ever get it out of our defensive zone?
SixStringSamurai

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:23 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:why Is that we can’t ever get it out of our defensive zone?

They forecheck like we do
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:23 pm

It’s on like donkey Kong
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:35 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
SixStringSamurai wrote:why Is that we can’t ever get it out of our defensive zone?

They forecheck like we do

Yes.

NJ forecheck is very good. Has been all year. They play a very similar game to us...but they just aren't as talented.

NJ is playing a smart game. They CAN'T win 5v5. They HAVE to make it a dirty, stop-and-start, penalty fest to have a chance...and that's EXACTLY what they're trying to do. They did it in the 3rd period, last game and it worked. Boyle KNOWS this. He's figured it out...and he's been instigating all night. He's playing smart. We need to do the same.

Unfortunately, we have smaller guys that have played their entire lives not allowing themselves to be pushed around, Gourde, Conacher, Paquette...it's the ****ing playoffs. They need to find their chill and everything will be fine.

If you've been watching the Columbus/Washington series, Torts has his guys going into scrums with their HANDS DOWN. Letting the other guy throw the first punch. And it's working well. We need to do the same.

Keep it a 5v5 game and we're good.

You can clearly see the difference in player quality between these 2 teams tonight. The Bolts are just a much better and deeper and talented team. It's really not that close either.

We'll see how it plays out but I like the effort tonight. Outside of NJ 5v3 PP, they really haven't had many quality opportunities.

Keep it up boys!
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:33 pm

Nice defensive effort in the 2nd. A LOT of 5v5 or PP (TB).
Held NJ without a shot for a long, LONG time.

We need to come out hot in the 3rd because NJ is gonna be DESPERATE. We need to match their effort.

Gonna be fun!
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:17 pm

YES ! Kuch ! 3-1
Jason Bourne

Postby Rocker » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:22 pm

**** yeah.
Rocker

Postby Commander Bubbles » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:23 pm

YESSSS!!!!!!!

I’ll be there Saturday boys!!! Can’t ****ing wait!!!
Commander Bubbles

Postby Alpha » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:23 pm

NICE win!

Defense/Vasy/Kuch.

The PK has also been OUTSTANDING his series.

Let's close this out ASAP. SAT night. End this. Hopefully TOR wins tomorrow night. I'm thinking a 3 OT game would be nice.

GO BOLTS!
Alpha

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Vasy is a beast. Looking like the guy he was early in the season.
Still gave up too many scoring chances.

Miller's playing style is suited for playoff hockey. Physical player that wins faceoffs and is skilled around the net.

Kuch is da MAN!!

Bolts in 5.
DreadNaught

Postby Alpha » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:44 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Still gave up too many scoring chances.

WTF do you want!? ZERO?

Gave up less than 30 SoG. After the first 10 minutes, very VERY few legit scoring chances.

You must be high.

SMH.
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Anyone know why leafs/bruins had an extra day off?
SixStringSamurai

Postby Commander Bubbles » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:13 pm

I think they said that we held them 13 minutes without a SOG in the 2nd. Outstanding game! One of our best defensive performances so far this postseason.

I’m looking at a Kucherov Jersey. What do you think our chances are that we re-sign him?
Commander Bubbles

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:17 pm

Alpha wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Still gave up too many scoring chances.

WTF do you want!? ZERO?

Gave up less than 30 SoG. After the first 10 minutes, very VERY few legit scoring chances.

You must be high.

SMH.

I was talking breakaway chances due to turnovers where Vasy had to bail them out. I forgot 'scoring chances' is a thing in hockey.

The defense was really good at preventing good looks and nothing sloppy around the net.

I am high.
DreadNaught

Postby Commander Bubbles » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:19 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
I am high.

I wish I was! But no, I have to keep my job :|
Commander Bubbles

Postby Alpha » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:14 am

Wharf Rat wrote:I think they said that we held them 13 minutes without a SOG in the 2nd. Outstanding game! One of our best defensive performances so far this postseason.

I’m looking at a Kucherov Jersey. What do you think our chances are that we re-sign him?

I'll ask Phil Esposito next time he comes in.

I asked him about Kuch a few years ago, when we bridged him. Phil was PISSED, saying the kid "wanted too much money".

Kuch is gonna want top dollar. The interesting part will be to see what happens with the salary cap...and we're looking at ANOTHER expansion team in the nxt 2 years (Seattle). That will be ANOTHER cap increase.

I trust Yzerman completely. Personally, I'd rather pay Point and trade Kuch...we'll see how it goes...
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:09 am

Alpha wrote:This game is coming down to Stammer/Kuch/JT Brown getting it done.

I may be wrong about the Bolts in 7...but I was ****ing right about this.

NJ has decided to let Kuch/Stammer and JT beat them.

And they did tonight.

Pick your poison. Shut down the Point line and we'll smoke you with our big guns.

**** YOU NJ!
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:48 am

Coburn's hit on Coleman...
https://twitter.com/TBLightning/status/ ... 4079122432

How was this interference on Point?
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/986775803512975360

Yet another bs penalty...
https://twitter.com/UpperWildSide/statu ... 8597877760

Boyle talking ****...
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/986068892769570816

I hope the League Office has a few things to say to these officials. The bs calls in game 4 were ridiculously one-sided.

I was trying to find the hit Kucherov leveled on Vatanen that put him out of the game in the 1st period. Anybody have it?

Never mind. Found it...
https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/ ... 8350720001
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Commander Bubbles » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:05 am

Alpha wrote:
Wharf Rat wrote:I think they said that we held them 13 minutes without a SOG in the 2nd. Outstanding game! One of our best defensive performances so far this postseason.

I'll ask Phil Esposito next time he comes in.

I asked him about Kuch a few years ago, when we bridged him. Phil was PISSED, saying the kid "wanted too much money".

Kuch is gonna want top dollar. The interesting part will be to see what happens with the salary cap...and we're looking at ANOTHER expansion team in the nxt 2 years (Seattle). That will be ANOTHER cap increase.

I trust Yzerman completely. Personally, I'd rather pay Point and trade Kuch...we'll see how it goes...

Would be great to keep Kuch, but you’re right. I trust Yzerman as well. He’s never led us wrong before. In the meantime, I went with the Stamkos Jersey. :mrgreen:

And Buc2, that Coburn hit was hilarious. I laugh every time I see it!
Commander Bubbles

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:21 am

Wharf Rat wrote:And Buc2, that Coburn hit was hilarious. I laugh every time I see it!

If that had been the Lightning bench he was knocked into, it's doubtful he would have been able to get back out so quickly. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:05 am

Just watched the game. My god did we put a hurtin on the Devil's! Kuch and Vassy played great. Our PK has been on point this postseason, aside from 5 on 3. I think we win on Saturday to finish it out.
theBKwhopper

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:41 am

theBKwhopper wrote:Just watched the game. My god did we put a hurtin on the Devil's! Kuch and Vassy played great. Our PK has been on point this postseason, aside from 5 on 3. I think we win on Saturday to finish it out.

Bolts have given up a 5-3 in b2b games now. Obviously have to stay out of those situations. The refs have been atrocious these last 2 games in Jersey. Series should be over already.

Bolts are dominating the 5v5 play thus far and as long as Vasy and the defense keep playing well it should be a good playoff run. Giving up too many breakaway chances still. But the team is playing good.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:54 am

DreadNaught wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:Just watched the game. My god did we put a hurtin on the Devil's! Kuch and Vassy played great. Our PK has been on point this postseason, aside from 5 on 3. I think we win on Saturday to finish it out.

Bolts have given up a 5-3 in b2b games now. Obviously have to stay out of those situations. The refs have been atrocious these last 2 games in Jersey. Series should be over already.

Bolts are dominating the 5v5 play thus far and as long as Vasy and the defense keep playing well it should be a good playoff run. Giving up too many breakaway chances still. But the team is playing good.

Those breakaway chances happen because of the Lightning's aggressive offense which requires their defenders to be involved. If you want to stop those breakaways, then you have to also want more passive offense. They've got a great goalie that allows them to play aggressive so I'd prefer they continue as they have been.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:12 pm

Buc2 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Those breakaway chances happen because of the Lightning's aggressive offense which requires their defenders to be involved. If you want to stop those breakaways, then you have to also want more passive offense. They've got a great goalie that allows them to play aggressive so I'd prefer they continue as they have been.

I get that, but the breakaways occur as a direct result of turnovers (along with the aggressive style of our defensemen not staying back).
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:18 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Those breakaway chances happen because of the Lightning's aggressive offense which requires their defenders to be involved. If you want to stop those breakaways, then you have to also want more passive offense. They've got a great goalie that allows them to play aggressive so I'd prefer they continue as they have been.

I get that, but the breakaways occur as a direct result of turnovers (along with the aggressive style of our defensemen not staying back).

I think the turnovers themselves are also byproduct of that same aggressiveness.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:20 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

I agree. We've dominated this series and should close it out Saturday.
theBKwhopper

Postby Alpha » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:47 am

theBKwhopper wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

I agree. We've dominated this series and should close it out Saturday.

Although I agree that we've dominated 5v5...the way these games have played out, we haven "dominated" the games. ALL of the games thus far, could've gone either way. I think our experience has tilted the final outcome. When the game gets tight, our boys have come through.

What I'm really interested in, is what will the league do with Kuch? The hit looked really similar to the Doughty hit that cost him (Doughty) 3 games. As of right now...no word but it wouldn't shock me if Kuch is suspended. The league has been cracking down on these type of hits and although I think it was a perfectly LEGITIMATE check...I just have a feeling he's gonna get the gate for AT LEAST one game. Maybe 3. Doughty is every bit the "big name" that Kuch is so that ain't gonna fly. The fact that Vatennen (?) is concussed, definitely won't help his case.

I'm PRAYING it's only one game. That won't cost us THIS series...but 3 could cost us the NEXT.

*fingers crossed*
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:54 am

Alpha wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:I agree. We've dominated this series and should close it out Saturday.

Although I agree that we've dominated 5v5...the way these games have played out, we haven "dominated" the games. ALL of the games thus far, could've gone either way. I think our experience has tilted the final outcome. When the game gets tight, our boys have come through.

What I'm really interested in, is what will the league do with Kuch? The hit looked really similar to the Doughty hit that cost him (Doughty) 3 games. As of right now...no word but it wouldn't shock me if Kuch is suspended. The league has been cracking down on these type of hits and although I think it was a perfectly LEGITIMATE check...I just have a feeling he's gonna get the gate for AT LEAST one game. Maybe 3. Doughty is every bit the "big name" that Kuch is so that ain't gonna fly. The fact that Vatennen (?) is concussed, definitely won't help his case.

I'm PRAYING it's only one game. That won't cost us THIS series...but 3 could cost us the NEXT.

*fingers crossed*

No suspension and no fine for Kuch , textbook hit .saw where the league said point of contact was the shoulder and chest which is how it should be done .
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:57 am

Yep ,Saturday’s game could go either way , I expect NJ to throw everything they have at us . If we play the way we did in the 3rd period last game it won’t matter . We played great in all areas
Jason Bourne

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports