***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed May 23, 2018 9:27 pm

The Outsider wrote:This has been absolutely pathetic.

Yep. 10 minutes without a shot in the 3rd while losing 3-0
Jason Bourne

Postby The Outsider » Wed May 23, 2018 9:29 pm

Spoiler:
Alpha wrote:WAS will go into their 1-3-1 and shut down the 3rd.

Good night. See y'all in September. Thanks to all (except G-string...who will be here shortly), for contributing to this thread.

Despite tonight, the future is very bright for this team. We'll get there eventually.

The future has been bright for what, close to a decade? Now I'll admit that as long as we can keep Vasi we should be able to win one in the next decade, but I don't see any Stanley Cups in the near future.

This is one of the best teams I've ever seen disappear. I don't know if it's coaching, or a lack of leadership or passion in the locker room, or some kind of fucked up voodoo magic. I do know, however, that for the larger part of this series we've looked like the exact opposite of the team that nailed Boston and Jersey to the wall.
The Outsider

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed May 23, 2018 9:37 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Spoiler:

Good night. See y'all in September. Thanks to all (except G-string...who will be here shortly), for contributing to this thread.

Despite tonight, the future is very bright for this team. We'll get there eventually.

The future has been bright for what, close to a decade? Now I'll admit that as long as we can keep Vasi we should be able to win one in the next decade, but I don't see any Stanley Cups in the near future.

This is one of the best teams I've ever seen disappear. I don't know if it's coaching, or a lack of leadership or passion in the locker room, or some kind of fucked up voodoo magic. I do know, however, that for the larger part of this series we've looked like the exact opposite of the team that nailed Boston and Jersey to the wall.

Agreed well said
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed May 23, 2018 9:38 pm

Hedman has his head up his ass
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed May 23, 2018 9:41 pm

Pathetic
Jason Bourne

Postby Wharf Rat » Wed May 23, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks for the fun season Tampa! Congrats Washington. **** you Tom Wilson
Wharf Rat

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed May 23, 2018 9:53 pm

Fire Cooper
Jason Bourne

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu May 24, 2018 4:33 am

This loss hurts..

Congratulations to Caps
Phantom Phenom

Postby Teitan » Thu May 24, 2018 5:38 am

Jason Bourne wrote:Fire Cooper

Stop that.
Teitan

Postby Buc2 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:09 am

The Outsider wrote:
Spoiler:

Can't help but agree with you on this. You're absolutely right that this team played the exact opposite from the way it played in the Jersey & Boston series. I mentioned it a couple days ago that we weren't playing nearly as aggressively against the Caps as we did in the other playoff series'. I just don't understand why, though.

Bottom line... What a major disappointment to a great season.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Alpha » Thu May 24, 2018 11:53 am

I'm going to wait a few days and approach this off-season for the Lightning.

Let everyone soak in the disappointment.
Alpha

Postby The Outsider » Fri May 25, 2018 8:50 pm

I watched game 6 of the Finals from 2004. For probably the first time since watching it live. The 2OT winner against the Flames. Holy **** was that team on a whole other level than this one. Modin bullied the **** out of them, Richards was ****ing everywhere, and the team as a whole was going balls to the wall 100% of the time.

Having watched that it makes me think more and more that this team is missing natural, ingrained toughness and intensity.
The Outsider

Postby Teitan » Fri May 25, 2018 9:03 pm

We put Boston on their ass every time they turned around. If we played the Caps like that, we’d be in the final.
Teitan

Postby Alpha » Fri May 25, 2018 11:23 pm

The Outsider wrote:I watched game 6 of the Finals from 2004. For probably the first time since watching it live. The 2OT winner against the Flames. Holy **** was that team on a whole other level than this one. Modin bullied the **** out of them, Richards was ****ing everywhere, and the team as a whole was going balls to the wall 100% of the time.

Having watched that it makes me think more and more that this team is missing natural, ingrained toughness and intensity.

I can't remember the reporters name but he wrote an article in USA Today, regarding the Lightning. I believe it was yesterday. I encourage y'all to read it. It brings an outsiders (no pun intended) perspective to the state of this club/organization. DESPITE the outcome of the ECF.

The fact is...especially in the NHL playoffs...the best and/or most talented team, doesn't always win. What the Lightning have done over the last 7 or so years (since Yzerman has become GM), is nothing short of phenonenal.

His (the USAT reporter's) opinion is that the Lightning really shouldn't do anything different, from an organization or talent perspective. And I agree with that assessment 100%. I've heard people talking about firing Cooper (LOL!) and even firing Yzerman! And that last one is BEYOND retarded.

There are some points that you people just need to come to grips with. First, get your panties out of your crack. Entering next season, the Lightning will, ONCE AGAIN, be the odds on favorite to represent the Eastern Conference in the SC. And baring any major injury scenarios (a la 2 years ago), they'll likely reach the ECF again.

Stamkos (28), Hedman (27) Palat (27) T. Johnson (27) Gourde (26) Killorn (27) TJ Miller (25) Kucherov (24) Point (22) McDonaugh (28) Sergachev (19) Vasy (23).

I'm not sure how to make it much clearer to everyone. This team is ****ing LOADED. And a lot of these guys are smack-dab in the middle of their prime playing years. Sure...it's no guarantee of a Stanley Cup...but it's as close to a guarantee to competing for one as you're gonna get. Death, Taxes and the Lightning being in contention for the Stanley Cup for many years to come.

If you're interested enough, go to CapFriendly.com. Pretty much the best, most accurate site for all things (contract-wise) NHL. THIS off-season (I'll get into it later), the only REAL question is: do we re-sign TJ Miller? He's probably going to command a Johnson/Palat type of contract (5+ years @ 5 mil/per). We CAn afford to pay him.

The interesting year is NEXT off-season. If you go to CapFriendly, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

The bottom line is this:

Calm your tits. WAS has been one of the best teams in the league for several years now. They've been President Cup winners (most points in a season), that have CONSTANTLY flamed out in the playoffs...and EARLY in the playoffs. I'm not shocked to see them playing for the cup. Frankly...they should've been way before this year. That's just a fact.

What the Lightning have done (4 ECF's in 5 years), is pretty phenominal. It's the equivalent of the Buccaneers making the NFC Championship game 4 times in 5 years. IF that game were a best of 7 series.

Was this a disappointing end to a eason? Absolutely. Was it an abject failure? Hell no.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat May 26, 2018 5:46 am

Alpha wrote:
The Outsider wrote:I watched game 6 of the Finals from 2004. For probably the first time since watching it live. The 2OT winner against the Flames. Holy **** was that team on a whole other level than this one. Modin bullied the **** out of them, Richards was ****ing everywhere, and the team as a whole was going balls to the wall 100% of the time.

I can't remember the reporters name but he wrote an article in USA Today, regarding the Lightning. I believe it was yesterday. I encourage y'all to read it. It brings an outsiders (no pun intended) perspective to the state of this club/organization. DESPITE the outcome of the ECF.

The fact is...especially in the NHL playoffs...the best and/or most talented team, doesn't always win. What the Lightning have done over the last 7 or so years (since Yzerman has become GM), is nothing short of phenonenal.

His (the USAT reporter's) opinion is that the Lightning really shouldn't do anything different, from an organization or talent perspective. And I agree with that assessment 100%. I've heard people talking about firing Cooper (LOL!) and even firing Yzerman! And that last one is BEYOND retarded.

There are some points that you people just need to come to grips with. First, get your panties out of your crack. Entering next season, the Lightning will, ONCE AGAIN, be the odds on favorite to represent the Eastern Conference in the SC. And baring any major injury scenarios (a la 2 years ago), they'll likely reach the ECF again.

Stamkos (28), Hedman (27) Palat (27) T. Johnson (27) Gourde (26) Killorn (27) TJ Miller (25) Kucherov (24) Point (22) McDonaugh (28) Sergachev (19) Vasy (23).

I'm not sure how to make it much clearer to everyone. This team is ****ing LOADED. And a lot of these guys are smack-dab in the middle of their prime playing years. Sure...it's no guarantee of a Stanley Cup...but it's as close to a guarantee to competing for one as you're gonna get. Death, Taxes and the Lightning being in contention for the Stanley Cup for many years to come.

If you're interested enough, go to CapFriendly.com. Pretty much the best, most accurate site for all things (contract-wise) NHL. THIS off-season (I'll get into it later), the only REAL question is: do we re-sign TJ Miller? He's probably going to command a Johnson/Palat type of contract (5+ years @ 5 mil/per). We CAn afford to pay him.

The interesting year is NEXT off-season. If you go to CapFriendly, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

The bottom line is this:

Calm your tits. WAS has been one of the best teams in the league for several years now. They've been President Cup winners (most points in a season), that have CONSTANTLY flamed out in the playoffs...and EARLY in the playoffs. I'm not shocked to see them playing for the cup. Frankly...they should've been way before this year. That's just a fact.

What the Lightning have done (4 ECF's in 5 years), is pretty phenominal. It's the equivalent of the Buccaneers making the NFC Championship game 4 times in 5 years. IF that game were a best of 7 series.

Was this a disappointing end to a eason? Absolutely. Was it an abject failure? Hell no.

ECF is not the goal , Stanley cup is . This team looked like high school kids playing against Pro’s . The fact is Caps did the same thing in game 7 as they did in Game 6 and Cooper and the players did nothing different . That’s coaching and leadership . The window is closing fast , Stralman sucks and Girardi’s best days are gone , Hedman is good but he is weak for being as big as he is . This team needs toughness .
Jason Bourne

Postby The Outsider » Sat May 26, 2018 6:55 am

I'm still looking for where I called this season a failure or said the current team isn't talented. I actually think they're more talented than the 2004 cup team. That team just had an edge that these guys don't, and maybe that toughness came from Tortarella.

That being said, we could use a forward like Modin right now. What I noticed about him rewatching that game is that he was a monster physically. He's literally shoving defenders to the ground with one arm or completely blowing people up on the check.

Granted, finding a 6'4 220 lb winger that has speed, can skate, score, and annihilate people is easier said than done.
The Outsider

Postby Brazen331 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:09 am

This team is probably the most talented team in the league and it’s also relatively young. It made it to the doorstep of the Stanley Cup. That’s a successful season.

Some of you guys need to get a grip. There are so many variables in hockey and luck plays such a bigger role than other sports. Look how many 8th seeds win it all in this sport. You don’t get to, nor even should you win the Cup just because you might be the best team in hockey.

Saying this season is a failure is absurd. This team will be in contention for the foreseeable future. Tampa has got it so good with this franchise.
Brazen331

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat May 26, 2018 7:15 am

Brazen331 wrote:This team is probably the most talented team in the league and it’s also relatively young. It made it to the doorstep of the Stanley Cup. That’s a successful season.

Some of you guys need to get a grip. There are so many variables in hockey and luck plays such a bigger role than other sports. Look how many 8th seeds win it all in this sport. You don’t get to, nor even should you win the Cup just because you might be the best team in hockey.

Saying this season is a failure is absurd. This team will be in contention for the foreseeable future. Tampa has got it so good with this franchise.

This team has made to the ECF but cannot get over the hump ... I think people are seeing a lackadaisical effort the last couple games , that cannot be denied if so then I’m not sure what game some of you are watching , talent is not the question ... coaching and toughness is .

My question is what happens when they do not get past Boston next year ?
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat May 26, 2018 7:17 am

The Outsider wrote:I'm still looking for where I called this season a failure or said the current team isn't talented. I actually think they're more talented than the 2004 cup team. That team just had an edge that these guys don't, and maybe that toughness came from Tortarella.

That being said, we could use a forward like Modin right now. What I noticed about him rewatching that game is that he was a monster physically. He's literally shoving defenders to the ground with one arm or completely blowing people up on the check.

Granted, finding a 6'4 220 lb winger that has speed, can skate, score, and annihilate people is easier said than done.

Yep exactly , the other thing about Modin is he had the hardest shot in the league at over 100 mph
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Sun May 27, 2018 12:07 am

Jason Bourne wrote:ECF is not the goal , Stanley cup is . This team looked like high school kids playing against Pro’s . The fact is Caps did the same thing in game 7 as they did in Game 6 and Cooper and the players did nothing different . That’s coaching and leadership . The window is closing fast , Stralman sucks and Girardi’s best days are gone , Hedman is good but he is weak for being as big as he is . This team needs toughness .

No ****, Sam Spade. This is your dazzling insight?

Toughness. We need toughness. That's ****ing brilliant.

Have you considered that just MAYBE, the Caps were a better team, with a Vezina winning goalie that is hot AF? A "high school" team taking a "pro" team to 7 games...nice hot take, sport.

You're over-reaction is 2nd only to G-strings. I suppose firing Cooper and Yzerman is your "plan" since the "coaching and leadership" is so weak. That just might be the dumbest-fuck thing I've seen posted in this thread...and that's saying something.

Hedman is likely to win the Norris. Yeah...he sucks. Moron. Instead of going with someone like Coburn sucks...which might be accurate...you pull Stralman's name out of the hat? Do you actually have a clue as to what you're saying or are you just pulling random ****, out of your ass? And btw...we had "toughness" on defense and traded Gudas to Philly a few years back. Guess what? He was out of the playoffs in the first round.

You definitely sound like you know very little about this sport and that you jumped aboard because this team was good. Don't bring your idiocy in here and not expect to be called out for it. Schmuck.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun May 27, 2018 12:19 am

The Outsider wrote:I'm still looking for where I called this season a failure or said the current team isn't talented. I actually think they're more talented than the 2004 cup team. That team just had an edge that these guys don't, and maybe that toughness came from Tortarella.

My resonse wasn't directed at you specifically.

This team had "toughness", when we played a "tough" BOS team. And Torts was out of the playoffs in round 1 with his "tough" team. Oh yeah...he got "out-toughed" by Washington.

And would you settle for a 6' 3, 235 lb monster instead? Because his name is Alex Ovechkin and he's the guy that will likely break Wayne Gretzky's all-time goals mark. You might have heard of him. And I don't know how to break this to you but Alex Ovechkin isn't walking through that door.

This is a different NHL. JT Miller is a close approximation to Modin. If you wanna stretch it, throw Killorn in there as well. I could throw in the fact that there is also a hard salary cap now as well...but I won't.

How long has Ovechkin, playing on VERY good Capital teams, been waiting to get this far? He's 32. THIRTY TWO.

EVERYONE needs to calm down a bit. The sky isn't falling.

At least until after next year. Then Yzerman is gonna have to pull some ****ing rainbows out of his ass. And of course, he probably will.
Alpha

Postby The Outsider » Sun May 27, 2018 1:30 am

Alpha wrote:

This team had "toughness", when we played a "tough" BOS team. And Torts was out of the playoffs in round 1 with his "tough" team. Oh yeah...he got "out-toughed" by Washington.

And would you settle for a 6' 3, 235 lb monster instead? Because his name is Alex Ovechkin and he's the guy that will likely break Wayne Gretzky's all-time goals mark. You might have heard of him. And I don't know how to break this to you but Alex Ovechkin isn't walking through that door.

This is a different NHL. JT Miller is a close approximation to Modin. If you wanna stretch it, throw Killorn in there as well. I could throw in the fact that there is also a hard salary cap now as well...but I won't.

How long has Ovechkin, playing on VERY good Capital teams, been waiting to get this far? He's 32. THIRTY TWO.

At least until after next year. Then Yzerman is gonna have to pull some ****ing rainbows out of his ass. And of course, he probably will.

Neither JT Miller nor Killorn are close approximations to Modin.

And yeah, anyone who has paid attention to hockey in the last 15 years knows who Ovechkin is and what he can do. I'm not sure what your point was there.

No one is worried about the team per se, but in any failure there is something to learn from and potentially a weakness to find. The Caps beat us because they played better, most of us are trying to determine why.
The Outsider

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun May 27, 2018 6:04 am

Alpha wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:ECF is not the goal , Stanley cup is . This team looked like high school kids playing against Pro’s . The fact is Caps did the same thing in game 7 as they did in Game 6 and Cooper and the players did nothing different . That’s coaching and leadership . The window is closing fast , Stralman sucks and Girardi’s best days are gone , Hedman is good but he is weak for being as big as he is . This team needs toughness .

Have you considered that just MAYBE, the Caps were a better team, with a Vezina winning goalie that is hot AF? A "high school" team taking a "pro" team to 7 games...nice hot take, sport.

You're over-reaction is 2nd only to G-strings. I suppose firing Cooper and Yzerman is your "plan" since the "coaching and leadership" is so weak. That just might be the dumbest-fuck thing I've seen posted in this thread...and that's saying something.

Hedman is likely to win the Norris. Yeah...he sucks. Moron. Instead of going with someone like Coburn sucks...which might be accurate...you pull Stralman's name out of the hat? Do you actually have a clue as to what you're saying or are you just pulling random ****, out of your ass? And btw...we had "toughness" on defense and traded Gudas to Philly a few years back. Guess what? He was out of the playoffs in the first round.

You definitely sound like you know very little about this sport and that you jumped aboard because this team was good. Don't bring your idiocy in here and not expect to be called out for it. Schmuck.

Have another drink little faggot ... team is weak and will not get the cup with cooper as coach
Jason Bourne

Postby Teitan » Sun May 27, 2018 6:48 am

Team has become what it is with the help of Cooper. Firing him would be a massive mistake.

Why so angry?
Teitan

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun May 27, 2018 7:00 am

Teitan wrote:Team has become what it is with the help of Cooper. Firing him would be a massive mistake.

Why so angry?

Don’t know why Alpha is so angry , too much drinking I suppose ...The deal is caps did the same thing in game 7 as they did in game 6 with no adjustments . That’ coaching imo . Oh and Stralmen sucks .
This team just needs to get tougher and be motivated
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Sun May 27, 2018 9:58 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Have another drink little faggot ...

Your wife and mom certainly didn't think so.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun May 27, 2018 10:01 am

Alpha wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
Have another drink little faggot ...

Your wife and mom certainly didn't think so.

Is that the very best you got ? You really should think about leaving family out of it . It really shows you are a punk .
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Sun May 27, 2018 10:07 am

The Outsider wrote:
Alpha wrote:

No one is worried about the team per se...

I guess you aren't familiar with G String Samurai and Jason Bourne?

Maybe it really is just as simple as, we were beaten by a team that was very talented and playing better than we were, in this series.

The over-reaction by some, while not entirely surprising, is kinda funny. And very few of you are coming up with real solutions or answers. Being "tougher" or playing with an "edge"? What the **** does that even mean? Most are just venting because of the disappointment, I understand...if you're looking for ways to improve this team...at LEAST have an actual, TANGIBLE suggestion...or why bother?
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun May 27, 2018 10:20 am

Alpha wrote:
The Outsider wrote:
No one is worried about the team per se...

I guess you aren't familiar with G String Samurai and Jason Bourne?

Maybe it really is just as simple as, we were beaten by a team that was very talented and playing better than we were, in this series.

The over-reaction by some, while not entirely surprising, is kinda funny. And very few of you are coming up with real solutions or answers. Being "tougher" or playing with an "edge"? What the **** does that even mean? Most are just venting because of the disappointment, I understand...if you're looking for ways to improve this team...at LEAST have an actual, TANGIBLE suggestion...or why bother?

How can you possibly be happy with game 7 ? How ? That shouldn’t happen
One thing is for sure there will be changes on defense , Giradi , Coburn and Strawman should be gone .. one is 34 and the other 33 .. Don’t get me started on Cooper ..
Btw you are still a little punk with no knowledge and class . I will leave your mom out of it for now
Jason Bourne

Postby Wharf Rat » Sun May 27, 2018 2:00 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Teitan wrote:Team has become what it is with the help of Cooper. Firing him would be a massive mistake.

Why so angry?

Don’t know why Alpha is so angry , too much drinking I suppose ...The deal is caps did the same thing in game 7 as they did in game 6 with no adjustments . That’ coaching imo . Oh and Stralmen sucks .
This team just needs to get tougher and be motivated

Alpha is actually one of the voices of reason on this subject.
Wharf Rat

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports