***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
post

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Wharf Rat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:43 pm

Wow.

I wasn't expecting us to be this dominant on the second night of a back to back, and on the road. This team is ridiculous.
Last edited by Wharf Rat on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wharf Rat
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:27 am
Has thanked: 166 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:47 am

Funny thing...I was working (bartender)...and my buddy was asking if I wanted to put the Lightning game on. We were closing down and I told him, "Nah...I'll be home in time to see the 2nd and 3rd...and I don't want to see the ugliness."

I seriously thought we were gonna get slammed tonight. 2nd of a back to back against (arguably) the 2nd best team in the league. On the road. Against perhaps the best goaltender in the NHL. And we're playing Budaj....who seems to give up 4 every time he starts.

So I start re-stocking and he looks at me and puts up 4 fingers...and he's smiling.

I didn't believe him until he showed me the score on his phone.



This team is sick. Just ****ing sick.

They ended this game in the span of 2 minutes...against the Kings. 2 MINUTES. That's just retarded.

There's still a part of me that is dreading the inevitable injuries. We've been fortunate (thus far)...but we're still less than 20 games in. This is about the time when Stammer went down last year.

We deserve a healthy year from this team. The LEAGUE deserves a healthy year...just to see what this can become. Like someone else mentioned...we aren't beating the scrubs of the league. We are beating the best this league has to offer (St. Louis and LA already).

I just can't see a scenario where we don't win the Cup, without serious injury issues.

And this team will be just as good...or better next year.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:28 am

It should've been closer to 6-1 after the 2nd period if not for Quick playing great for the Kings in the 2nd. He's a great goaltender, but was under assault last night.

Kings are good team though, you can see with how they skate and move the puck. I wouldn't be surprised if they made it to the SCF.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 9337
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 373 times
Been thanked: 376 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 am

Alpha wrote:There's still a part of me that is dreading the inevitable injuries. We've been fortunate (thus far)...but we're still less than 20 games in. This is about the time when Stammer went down last year.

We deserve a healthy year from this team. The LEAGUE deserves a healthy year...just to see what this can become. Like someone else mentioned...we aren't beating the scrubs of the league. We are beating the best this league has to offer (St. Louis and LA already).

I just can't see a scenario where we don't win the Cup, without serious injury issues.


If there's any justice in this world, we SHOULD get through this year without any catastrophic injuries considering the shitstorm we went through last year in terms of injuries. But, sad to say, I'm like you in that I'm waiting for that devastating injury to derail our season. I hope, obviously, it never happens.

I really want to see what this team can do for the entire season/postseason healthy. I'm sure a player will get banged up here or there, that's inevitable....I just hope we can avoid the catastrophic injury to one of our top guys.

When you get on Twitter during a game & hit "Lightning vs. [Whoever]" at the top of your timeline, it brings up everyone tweeting about that game. The past two nights, non-Lightning fans (even some Sharks and Kings fans) have been drooling at how good Tampa Bay is. It's pretty cool to get so much respect from around the league. I just hope we can keep it going.
pewterpirates
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:20 am

To clarify my "I hope we keep it going" comment ... I realize we'll hit a few bumps in the road. No one can keep up the pace we're currently playing at.

Even though this may sound foolish, I'm also a little worried we may be peaking too early. I honestly don't see how we can play any better. You want to be playing this good going into the playoffs, not in the first 6 weeks of the season.

If we play like THIS in the playoffs, no one will stop us. It's just a matter of if we can A: either keep up this high level of play consistently, or B: find this high level of play when the playoffs start.
pewterpirates
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:59 am

pewterpirates wrote:To clarify my "I hope we keep it going" comment ... I realize we'll hit a few bumps in the road. No one can keep up the pace we're currently playing at.

Even though this may sound foolish, I'm also a little worried we may be peaking too early. I honestly don't see how we can play any better. You want to be playing this good going into the playoffs, not in the first 6 weeks of the season.

If we play like THIS in the playoffs, no one will stop us. It's just a matter of if we can A: either keep up this high level of play consistently, or B: find this high level of play when the playoffs start.


82 games is long season and the NHL is like the NBA where the regular season is meaningless (see the Capitals). Home ice means less in hockey than it does in basketball imo when it come to the playoffs.

I agree that it's unrealistic to expect this level of play throughout an 82 game season. There will be some valleys here and there. But this Lightning team does have playoff experience so I'm not as worried about 'peaking too early' as I would be if this was team that had not been tested in the playoffs. Most of this team has been to the ECF and SCF with the Lightning already so imo it's really a matter of health come the playoffs.

Playing this well is great b/c it builds confidence and the longer we can sustain the more solidified that confidence becomes. The team will draw on that confidence once they get into playoff hockey. Combine that with experience and the variable of health and we will hopefully be in good shape.

In the end it comes down to health for this team. We've got the skill, depth, defense, and goaltending to beat anyone in a 7 game series.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 9337
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 373 times
Been thanked: 376 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:04 pm

Hockey is a sport of momentum, and that's one of the reasons the Cup is the hardest trophy to win. There are going to be ups and downs, but teams can get hot- heck a goalie can get hot, and you can see a low seed win the Cup. I do think the Lightning have to be the faves right now though. The playoffs are a different style of game though too, so we'll see.
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 5614
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:19 am

real bucs fan wrote:Hockey is a sport of momentum, and that's one of the reasons the Cup is the hardest trophy to win. There are going to be ups and downs, but teams can get hot- heck a goalie can get hot, and you can see a low seed win the Cup. I do think the Lightning have to be the faves right now though. The playoffs are a different style of game though too, so we'll see.



As Dread said...this team is not inexperienced, come payoff time.

Adding Kunitz will only help.

Unlike the Caps (last year), the vast majority of this team was around a few years back, when we were playing for the Cup. Outside of PIT, there are no teams in the East that can compete with our experience. Back then, Johnson was "the guy". Kuch was a 20 year old. I love that combination in the playoffs THIS YEAR. Kuch is a beast and Johnson is "Mr. Playoffs".

Baring injuries and health come playoff time, the Bolts should roll. There are a few teams that worry me a little. Anaheim is one. The Caps, Blues and Blue Jackets are the others. They have high scoring defenses and play a physical style that shows well in the playoffs. I guess we'll see. A win against ANA tonight would make me feel better.

Still don't know what to think of Toronto and NJ. I suspect they're too young and inexperienced to succeed come the post-season. NJ and PHI are 2 teams that look good going into the next few years though. PHI could scare some folks if they sneak into the post-season. Young, strong and hungry.

I just don't see another team as deep as this one. And OFFENSIVE injuries don't concern me as much, considering the depth we have in the minors. DEF injuries could pose a problem.

Let's see how we look after 40 games. 20 games in and we've seen this team look good before.

STAY HEALTHY!
Alpha
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:00 pm

And there's the WC sweep. Good guys take it 2-1.

If not for the ANA goalie, this could've easily been 5 or 6-1. Gibson was freaking amazing.

The train keeps on a-rollin'...
Alpha
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:39 am

DreadNaught wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:To clarify my "I hope we keep it going" comment ... I realize we'll hit a few bumps in the road. No one can keep up the pace we're currently playing at.

Even though this may sound foolish, I'm also a little worried we may be peaking too early. I honestly don't see how we can play any better. You want to be playing this good going into the playoffs, not in the first 6 weeks of the season.

If we play like THIS in the playoffs, no one will stop us. It's just a matter of if we can A: either keep up this high level of play consistently, or B: find this high level of play when the playoffs start.


82 games is long season and the NHL is like the NBA where the regular season is meaningless (see the Capitals). Home ice means less in hockey than it does in basketball imo when it come to the playoffs.

I agree that it's unrealistic to expect this level of play throughout an 82 game season. There will be some valleys here and there. But this Lightning team does have playoff experience so I'm not as worried about 'peaking too early' as I would be if this was team that had not been tested in the playoffs. Most of this team has been to the ECF and SCF with the Lightning already so imo it's really a matter of health come the playoffs.

Playing this well is great b/c it builds confidence and the longer we can sustain the more solidified that confidence becomes. The team will draw on that confidence once they get into playoff hockey. Combine that with experience and the variable of health and we will hopefully be in good shape.

In the end it comes down to health for this team. We've got the skill, depth, defense, and goaltending to beat anyone in a 7 game series.


I just meant, I hope we're not seeing the best out of this group in the first 20 games as opposed to playoff time. That's what I meant by 'peaking too early.'

Agreed 1,000% that it's all about our health. If we're healthy, I don't see anyone stopping us. Even during our runs to the SCF and the ECF, we had to overcome multiple injuries. I still say we would've beat Chicago in the SCF in '15 if Bishop and Johnson were healthy.
pewterpirates
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:49 pm

The Tampa Bay Lightning have acquired goaltender Louis Domingue from the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for goaltender Michael Leighton and forward Tye McGinn, vice president and general manager Steve Yzerman announced.

Domingue, 25, has appeared in seven games with the Coyotes this season, posting a 4.33 goals-against average and .856 save percentage. The 6-foot-3, 210-pound goaltender has played in 84 career NHL games, all with Arizona over the past four seasons, compiling a record of 27-41-7 to go along with a 3.00 goals-against average and .906 save percentage with two shutouts. During the 2015-16 season, he set career highs for games played (39), wins (15) and save percentage (.912).

The St. Hyacinthe, Quebec native has appeared in 71 career American Hockey League games, posting a record of 27-30-3 to go along with a 3.09 goals-against average and .902 save percentage. He last played in the AHL during the 2015-16 season when he appeared in 13 games with the Springfield Falcons, compiling a record of 6-6-1 to go along with a 2.55 goals-against average and .919 save percentage

Domingue was originally selected by the Coyotes in the fifth round, 138th overall, at the 2010 NHL Draft.
pewterpirates
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:30 pm

Watching the Blackhawks/Rangers game makes me appreciate the speed of the Bolts.

This is like watching hockey from the "Neutral Zone Trap" era.

Jeesh...
Alpha
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Rocker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:42 pm

Alpha wrote:Watching the Blackhawks/Rangers game makes me appreciate the speed of the Bolts.

This is like watching hockey from the "Neutral Zone Trap" era.

Jeesh...


Watched a bit of that game at the bar last night.

Really made me appreciate Bolts hockey.
Image
User avatar
Rocker
 
Posts: 2288
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 am
Location: Valrico
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby SixStringSamurai » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:38 pm

Another night, another ass whooping for the other team. This team hasn't peaked yet...it's only going to get better
SixStringSamurai
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:10 am

SixStringSamurai wrote:Another night, another ass whooping for the other team. This team hasn't peaked yet...it's only going to get better



Stamkos looks like he's getting comfortable with his stroke again. That's really bad news for every other team. They nearly have 4 guys with double-digit goals already...and we aren't 20 games in yet. That's just retarded.

I've coined a new term for this team: Sickdiculous.

They're gonna crush dreams and end marriages.

Wow. And Dallas didn't play that poorly. I don't see Western Conference teams play all that often but those guys are ****ing BIG. The Bolts do what they do. They are RELENTLESS. And teams just can't keep up for an entire game.

THIS is the team I thought we were getting last year.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:05 am

The Lightning have the NHL's top goal scorer (Kuch-17), top 2 players in points (Stammer/Kuch), and a goalie (Vasy) that is leads all goaltenders in wins, is 2nd in save %, and 4th in GAA. Not to mention a Norris trophy candidate in Hedman.

This team really seems to be getting better despite their success.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 9337
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 373 times
Been thanked: 376 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby SixStringSamurai » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:12 am

Love how Vasi is playing, he's so quick, so very meticulous with his movements. I don't know if you guys caught the commentary from the stars game but they were talking about how Bish watches film on other skaters and Vasi doesnt...Keeps him on his toes and is in the moment and not trying to figure out a skaters tendencies...what? lol that's exactly what I would try to do.
SixStringSamurai
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Kress » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:41 am

This team is stupid good. Not just scary good. Stupid good. One of the best I've ever seen. I can't say it enough.
Image
User avatar
Kress
 
Posts: 3346
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:26 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 202 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Buc2 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:36 pm

I really enjoyed going to the Dallas game. Lots of energy in the crowd. Much fun. It seemed the Lightning came out a bit sluggish in the 1st period even though they thoroughly outshot the Stars in the period. If the Stars had any hope, it was that 1st period. Once the boys started scoring, it was lights out. Point is very underrated imo. The dude plays with tons of confidence and solidifies the line that goes up against the other teams top scoring lines. His short-handed goal to make it 3-1 really was the tide turning in Thursday nights game. There was no looking back after that. And seeing the young rookie, Sergachev, get another goal. I never saw him out of position. Awesome! We definitely got a hellava deal out of the Drouin trade with this kid. Fun, fun, fun! That's all I can say.

A couple of shots from the action...

Image

Bishop makes the save with Callahan looking for a rebound...
Image
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 7657
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 717 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Buc2 wrote:I really enjoyed going to the Dallas game. Lots of energy in the crowd. Much fun. It seemed the Lightning came out a bit sluggish in the 1st period even though they thoroughly outshot the Stars in the period. If the Stars had any hope, it was that 1st period. Once the boys started scoring, it was lights out. Point is very underrated imo. The dude plays with tons of confidence and solidifies the line that goes up against the other teams top scoring lines. His short-handed goal to make it 3-1 really was the tide turning in Thursday nights game. There was no looking back after that. And seeing the young rookie, Sergachev, get another goal. I never saw him out of position. Awesome! We definitely got a hellava deal out of the Drouin trade with this kid. Fun, fun, fun! That's all I can say.

A couple of shots from the action...

Image

Bishop makes the save with Callahan looking for a rebound...
Image



Nice seat bucs 2
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3311
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Teitan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:47 pm

They look really sloppy so far tonight.
User avatar
Teitan
 
Posts: 2896
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:08 am

Thank God...I wasn't sure we ere ever gonna lose again.

Didn't get a chance to see it but going down 4-0 sounds like it was a bad night all around.

I feel bad for the next team we have to play...
Alpha
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Kress » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:56 am

Alpha wrote:Thank God...I wasn't sure we ere ever gonna lose again.

Didn't get a chance to see it but going down 4-0 sounds like it was a bad night all around.

I feel bad for the next team we have to play...



Going down 4-0, in the 3rd period, most teams pack up their tents and call it a night. The Bolts instead turned around and made it 4-3 in a hurry. THAT kind of stuff is why this team will win. Even in a loss, they showed something.
Image
User avatar
Kress
 
Posts: 3346
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:26 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 202 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:22 am

I saw my first pro hockey game live last night and was wondering why there seems to be so much more parity in the NHL compared to the NFL? The Knights beat the Kings 4-2 but the score was not reflective of the game. The Kings got their asses kicked. Quick had to be pulled in the 1st period and the Kings went 11 minutes without a shot on goal in the 2nd.

Probably safe to say that an NFL expansion team composed of trolling the bottom of everyone's roster would never steamroll the Patriots or Falcons in their inaugural season. The Kings are arguably the best team in the Western Conference aren't they? And they looked like they couldn't handle the speed of Vegas. Just wondering why the NHL seems to work this way?
Brazen331
 
Posts: 2077
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:59 am

Brazen331 wrote:I saw my first pro hockey game live last night and was wondering why there seems to be so much more parity in the NHL compared to the NFL? The Knights beat the Kings 4-2 but the score was not reflective of the game. The Kings got their asses kicked. Quick had to be pulled in the 1st period and the Kings went 11 minutes without a shot on goal in the 2nd.

Probably safe to say that an NFL expansion team composed of trolling the bottom of everyone's roster would never steamroll the Patriots or Falcons in their inaugural season. The Kings are arguably the best team in the Western Conference aren't they? And they looked like they couldn't handle the speed of Vegas. Just wondering why the NHL seems to work this way?



I'm not sure the origin of this but in the NHL, you find Western Conference teams are typically built to play a more physical (and slower) game. If you watch WC teams play EC teams, you'll notice a pretty big disparity in the size of the defenders (especially). If you watch the TB/Anaheim or TB/LA game, it was shocking to see how big their defensemen were compared to ours. Same with St. Louis. The style of play is very different between the 2 conferences. I believe this is starting to change based mainly on the rule changes that have discouraged the more physical aspects of hockey and are emphasizing scoring...faster, smaller players have opportunities to succeed whereas in the past, they get "physicaled" out of the game. Even more so this year with the stricter enforcement of slashing. I wouldn't be surprised if they make the rinks bigger, in the near future. European/Olympic size. They play on much larger rinks over there.

As far as Vegas goes...they were given a much better chance to compete IMMEDIATELY, than any other expansion team in NHL HISTORY. When Tampa came into existence (as an example), teams were allowed to protect more players. Essentially, we were forced to select the bottom of the barrel. Vegas was decidedly NOT. I've looked at the CORSI numbers and Vegas isn't producing on a sustainable level so I suspect you'll see them regress soon. I do think it's a good thing that they were given a better chance of immediate success. Keep the new fans interested. I remember the first year Tampa played and they sucked balls. It was discouraging.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:51 am

Brazen331 wrote:I saw my first pro hockey game live last night and was wondering why there seems to be so much more parity in the NHL compared to the NFL? The Knights beat the Kings 4-2 but the score was not reflective of the game. The Kings got their asses kicked. Quick had to be pulled in the 1st period and the Kings went 11 minutes without a shot on goal in the 2nd.

Probably safe to say that an NFL expansion team composed of trolling the bottom of everyone's roster would never steamroll the Patriots or Falcons in their inaugural season. The Kings are arguably the best team in the Western Conference aren't they? And they looked like they couldn't handle the speed of Vegas. Just wondering why the NHL seems to work this way?



And what did you think of seeing it live?

Exciting? Boring?

You gonna see another?
Alpha
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:28 am

Alpha wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:I saw my first pro hockey game live last night and was wondering why there seems to be so much more parity in the NHL compared to the NFL? The Knights beat the Kings 4-2 but the score was not reflective of the game. The Kings got their asses kicked. Quick had to be pulled in the 1st period and the Kings went 11 minutes without a shot on goal in the 2nd.

Probably safe to say that an NFL expansion team composed of trolling the bottom of everyone's roster would never steamroll the Patriots or Falcons in their inaugural season. The Kings are arguably the best team in the Western Conference aren't they? And they looked like they couldn't handle the speed of Vegas. Just wondering why the NHL seems to work this way?



And what did you think of seeing it live?

Exciting? Boring?

You gonna see another?


The biggest impression on me was how small the rink seems to be in a huge arena with professional players. I doubt there were many 6'5 240 defenseman when the standards were set, really wish these guys had more room to create.

I'll definitely see more games. It was a standing room only crowd and this is a scrappy team that really hustles and feeds off the fans. You do get the impression that they play better than they are at home. They definitely could use more firepower; they look to be a smaller, faster team like Tampa but without the offensive skill. I bet they could plug Gusev in on the 2nd or 3rd line right now if he'd leave Russia.
Brazen331
 
Posts: 2077
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:44 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
Alpha wrote:

And what did you think of seeing it live?

Exciting? Boring?

You gonna see another?


The biggest impression on me was how small the rink seems to be in a huge arena with professional players. I doubt there were many 6'5 240 defenseman when the standards were set, really wish these guys had more room to create.

I'll definitely see more games. It was a standing room only crowd and this is a scrappy team that really hustles and feeds off the fans. You do get the impression that they play better than they are at home. They definitely could use more firepower; they look to be a smaller, faster team like Tampa but without the offensive skill. I bet they could plug Gusev in on the 2nd or 3rd line right now if he'd leave Russia.


Gusev would help a lot, for sure...but LA is a good team. And sure...the players were smaller but (back in the day) it was about the size of the fight in the dog. And those old-school, Canadian farm-boys were tough as hell.

The game is changing...some teams are slower in realizing that, than others is all.

Yzerman has preparing Tampa for this change since he arrived.

Home ice really doesn't mean much in hockey...kinda like MLB.

It's a non-stop, exciting game. No breaks. Glad you made it to a game. If more people went to ONE, they'd be fans for life.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Kress » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:18 pm

Changing the rink size would be great, but it would be so cost prohibitive because the stadiums already exist and are structured to fit what we have. I just don't see it. But I would love to see it. I love when there are double penalties and everything gets opened up. It's more fun to watch. But the logistics of changing existing rinks. Ugh. The money people will not like it.
Image
User avatar
Kress
 
Posts: 3346
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:26 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 202 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:22 pm

Great game tonight
Jason Bourne
 
Posts: 2159
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:47 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 19 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Other Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Crocaneers and 4 guests