***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:14 am

Rocker wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Teresenko is fun to watch. He's got a ridiculous wrister.

This Bolts team is reminding me of 2 years ago. Great at home and able to adjust their style of play to the opponent...and beat them at it.

Back to back MON and TUE...against 1st place teams.

Time to see what's, what.

I'm man enough to admit that a lot of the finer points of the game are beyond my comprehension at this point. I took a long, long break from being a hockey fan. Hell, the last live action I saw was 1999-ish Solar Bears. But I've always enjoyed the sport, going way back to watching the glory days of the Red Wings with my gramps (who was getting toasted on TAB and whiskey) in his garage in Flint.

I tell ya though. This team has me excited. Clean up the defense a bit; continue our fast, aggressive offensive play.... we WILL be a team that other clubs don't want to face on the ice. I believe we can take the East.

We must be about the same age because NOBODY under 30 yrs. knows what TAB is. LMAO!

I got my start in hockey as a 20 year old (almost 30 years ago), watching the old IHL hockey in Atlanta (right before they got their 2nd NHL team). I became addicted after my first game. I went on to bang one of their player's wives but that's neither here nor there...

I know many people don't get the sport...but if they just went to ONE game, they'd get it on a visceral level. Non-stop, back and forth action. No breaks (very few). It's just an amazing game to watch.

My suspicion is that the D will improve as the year goes along (barring injuries). New players and the like...but this team has offense out of the ass. And the sick thing is that they have guys in the minor leagues that will be as ridiculous in a year or two.

This is Tampa's best franchise...and it's not even close. Almost 3 straight years of sell-outs at Amalie Arena (19k+/game). They out-draw the MLB team (The Rays).

If you're visiting Tampa this winter...try and go to a Lightning game. You won't regret it.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:08 pm

You couldn't have asked for a better start than what the Bolts are off to. And they've done it against arguably the toughest schedule in the league so far. Kucherov is straight up killing everybody. Dude may lead the league in goals scored this year.

PLEASE LET US STAY HEALTHY THIS SEASON!!!!! That's all this team needs, is a little bit of good luck, and I think it'll be a special season.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:48 pm

pewterpirates wrote:You couldn't have asked for a better start than what the Bolts are off to. And they've done it against arguably the toughest schedule in the league so far. Kucherov is straight up killing everybody. Dude may lead the league in goals scored this year.

PLEASE LET US STAY HEALTHY THIS SEASON!!!!! That's all this team needs, is a little bit of good luck, and I think it'll be a special season.

I don't think it's arguable. Their schedule to start the year is brutal. They did manage a point tonight...which is pretty amazing.

And Stamkos hasn't even started scoring yet (despite his goal tonight). IF he can stay healthy, he'll start to find his range again (been clanking them off the crossbar lately)...then look out.

If we can get one win in the next 2 (COL and PIT), I'd be thrilled. We'll get the bottom feeders soon enough.

The Bolts are looking like the team they were supposed to be last year. This is gonna be a fun year.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:10 am

Big game tonight.

Columbus will let us know how good this Bolts team really is (or how much work they have to do)

We didn't beat this Blue Jacket team once last year...and they are another very good Eastern Conference team.

It sure would be nice to have a game or two against a bottom feeder...
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:01 am

Missed last nights game.

Looking forward to this one.
Rocker

Postby WCBuc » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Is there a good Lightning message board out there anyone would recommend?
WCBuc

Postby Teitan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:31 pm

This team is good.
Teitan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Teitan wrote:This team is good.

Great start!!
DreadNaught

Postby Alpha » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:57 pm

Teitan wrote:This team is good.

Watching the replay now. Had to switch over to TNFootball at the bar so I missed the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Sergachev (?) reminds me of Hedman, when Heddy was a kid...except it took a while for Hedman to gain the confidence to shoot the puck. This kid has more offensive skill than Hedman and that's saying something.

Another toughie against Pittsburgh at home on SAT night but it's damn difficult to argue that this is gonna be anything other than a really good year for the Bolts.

6-1-1 against a lot of tough teams and a helluva job on their first road trip.
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:55 am

Alpha wrote:Big game tonight.

Columbus will let us know how good this Bolts team really is (or how much work they have to do)

We didn't beat this Blue Jacket team once last year...and they are another very good Eastern Conference team.

So...what do ya think? Not too bad! I wish it had been televised in my market.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Alpha » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:13 am

Buc2 wrote:
Alpha wrote:Big game tonight.

So...what do ya think? Not too bad! I wish it had been televised in my market.

If you look at the stats, it doesn't look so good.

The reality, after watching the game, was that Columbus didn't really have many quality scoring chances. Their shots were mostly from the outside and relatively harmless.

Yanni Gourde was a monster. That whole line was. Gourde and Pointe along with a rotating cast...mainly Callahan. They were causing COL all kinds of fits.

This was one of the best games the Bolts have played all year. And don't be fooled...Columbus might be the team we meet in the ECF. They are ****ing good. It looks like we have a team that is meeting expectations and whose hype is legit.

PIT again tonight. Doubt you'll see the same type of game as the first one but we need to impose our will on them...let them have doubts come playoff time, that they can beat us.
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:49 pm

Gourde is playing his ass off.
Rocker

Postby Teitan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:13 pm

I'm so tickled by the thrashing we are putting on Pittsburgh right now.
Teitan

Postby Teitan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:22 pm

Thrashing is an understatement
Teitan

Postby SixStringSamurai » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:54 pm

We ****ing waxed that ass
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:13 am

Teitan wrote:I'm so tickled by the thrashing we are putting on Pittsburgh right now.

I mentioned earlier, that the Bolts were gonna embarrass SOMEBODY.

I never thought it would be PIT...but I'm not shocked.

I've seen every game this year. Every one. This is the type of offense this team is capable of on a nightly basis. This was no fluke. Niemi actually made some great saves to keep the Bolts from hanging 10 on them.

We have 3 lines that can score and the defense is contributing now as well. Hedman is the only player of note that hasn't scored. Gourde could've had 2 tonight.

Baring injuries...this team will win the Presidents Trophy...and might set records.

They can be that good.
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:25 am

Alpha wrote:
Teitan wrote:

I mentioned earlier, that the Bolts were gonna embarrass SOMEBODY.

I never thought it would be PIT...but I'm not shocked.

I've seen every game this year. Every one. This is the type of offense this team is capable of on a nightly basis. This was no fluke. Niemi actually made some great saves to keep the Bolts from hanging 10 on them.

We have 3 lines that can score and the defense is contributing now as well. Hedman is the only player of note that hasn't scored. Gourde could've had 2 tonight.

Baring injuries...this team will win the Presidents Trophy...and might set records.

They can be that good.

So much this. They way the guys are playing has me hyped as ****.
Rocker

Postby Alpha » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:36 am

Rocker wrote:
Alpha wrote:

So much this. They way the guys are playing has me hyped as ****.

The part that has me hyped is that we have a few new players...especially on defense. Girardi, Sergachev...the defense will get better as the year progresses.

Again...baring injuries (especially on defense), this team will be better at the end of the year, then they are now. And that is a scary proposition.

And here's some food for thought:

We have guys (forwards), playing in the minors, that could start for other teams. This team is ****ing LOADED. Raddysh, Erne, Peca, etc. The depth of this organization is a little ridiculous. Connely and Marchessault are already playing top line minutes for other teams...and these are guys who were scrubs (3rd liners) for us.

We are short on defensive depth...for now....but Stevie Y is on the job. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we move a player or two for defensive prospects.

Enjoy the show. We have 5 or so guys on pace for 30+ goal years...and 2 who will end up with 40/50+. That is absurd. I'm going to assume that Uncle Kuch won't score 80...he's on pace for over that. Sick...

Another fun fact: Sergachev...the stud defenseman we acquired in the Drouin trade...is currently outscoring Drouin. Enjoy sucking balls in Montreal, Jonathan. And after watching our power play units...I understand why Drouin posed so many problems for our coaching staff. Watch a Habs game. Their offense sucks and Drouin is struggling when he isn't allowed to freelance so much and has to play within a structured offense. He's the guy who is a STUD when you play a 3 on 3 pick up basketball game...and is mediocre when it's 5v5.
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:43 am

Speaking of Stevie Y, a good friend of mine is a die-hard Red Wings fan. Has been since she was a young girl. When Yaz (their nickname for him) first came aboard as the Lightning GM back in 2010, she was a little upset that he would leave the organization he played for for so many years. She sorta understood why he left because she knew he had been wanting the Red Wing's GM job but Detroit extended their current GM rather than give him the job. She had no idea, though, just how successful a GM he would become and is much more jealous than angry now. Detroit's loss was definitely the Lightning's gain. I enjoy teasing her about it every now and then.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Swashy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:49 am

I'm not really sure that the Lightning need to make any moves. Other than parting ways with Sustr and Brown I cannot think of anything the Lightning really needs to do. Unless Budaj improves in a hurry I'd say that finding a new backup would be a pertinent move.
Swashy

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Not that it's much of a surprise but the Lightning have decided to keep stud rookie defenseman Mikhail Sergachev, thus starting his entry level contract. Sergachev was acquired from the Candadians in the Jonathan Druin trade and the Lightning had the option to send him down for a period of time before bringing him back up so his entry level NHL contract would not start this season (thus he stay under team control at a lower salary longer).

If the first nine games of the season were a tryout for Mikhail Sergachev and his chances to stay with the Tampa Bay Lightning for an extended period, the 19-year-old Russian defenseman knocked it out of the park.

Sergachev made what could have been a fairly difficult decision for the Lightning a rather simple one with his play to start the year. After growing into the NHL game over his first handful of games, Sergachev has exploded offensively of late, recording three-consecutive multi-point games. He notched the first two goals of his NHL career against Columbus on October 19, providing the Lightning with all of their offense in a 2-0 shutout victory, and followed up with his third goal of the season in Saturday's 7-1 blowout of Pittsburgh.

The Lightning had nine games to evaluate Sergachev and decide if they wanted to keep him with the team, thus starting his entry-level contract, or send him back to this junior team in Windsor.

Following Tuesday's morning skate in Raleigh, Tampa Bay head coach Jon Cooper said Sergachev will remain with the Lightning for the foreseeable future.

"This has been an evaluation process since training camp, so it's a month-and-a-half in," Cooper said. "You're looking for, has there been improvement? Is he adapting to the game, the speed of the game, the physicality? And he's done all that and more. And so when you watch a player like that continue to improve, especially at a young age and looking at the ceiling he has, which is really high right now, it's pretty hard to make a change. He's had a positive impact on our team. And he's part of our team. So, that's how it's going to be moving forward."

Sergachev has emerged as one of the Lightning's leading offensive threats on the blue line. He leads all Tampa Bay defensemen for points (3-5-8) and ranks tied for fifth on the team overall. Among NHL defensemen, he's tied for fifth for scoring, ahead of established league blueliners like P.K Subban, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns.

Among rookie defensemen, Sergachev is tops in goals and second in scoring behind only New Jersey's Will Butcher while averaging three minutes less ice time than Butcher.

Despite an impressive start to his Lightning career, Sergachev knows there's still more work to do to become a regular in the league.

"Points don't matter for me," he said. "I'm trying to learn every day, like D zone, and I feel like in the D zone I'm making steps forward every game. But sometimes teams are too good, and it's hard. I feel like I'm getting better in the D zone."

Sergachev will play his 10th game with the Lightning when they face the Carolina Hurricanes at Raleigh's PNC Arena on Tuesday. But even though his entry-level contract will kick in once he suits up for the game against the Canes, Sergachev knows there are no guarantees he'll be with the Lightning for the duration.

"I'm so happy to be here, but it doesn't mean I'm going to stay for the whole year," he said. "…I'm just thinking about the next game. Every time it's a new day for me. It's how I can improve every day. I've got to learn every day."

Sergachev said partnering with Anton Stralman through the first nine games this season has been helpful allowing him to get comfortable in the NHL. In the past, Cooper has said Stralman might not win the Norris Trophy, but his partner will have a good chance to.

In the past three seasons, Victor Hedman has benefitted from that partnership with Stralman and emerged as a yearly Norris candidate as a result.

Now Sergachev is reaping the benefits of Stralman's tutelage.

"He just helps me so much, especially in the breakouts because he's talking a lot on the ice," Sergachev said. "It's so easy to communicate with him. When he needs to make a simple play, he makes it. When he can make a play, he makes it. So, it's the right time and the right decision all the time. It's just great to have a partner like that."

And in Sergachev, it looks like Stralman has another young defensemen to potentially groom into a Norris candidate.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:26 pm

I read the next milestone is 40 games. If Sergachev plays in 40 games this season, it will nullify the 2nd round draft pick that came as part of the trade. I'd be fine with that since it would mean that he has continued to develop and play well. :D
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Buc2 wrote:I read the next milestone is 40 games. If Sergachev plays in 40 games this season, it will nullify the 2nd round draft pick that came as part of the trade. I'd be fine with that since it would mean that he has continued to develop and play well. :D

The kid keeps playing like this than idc what else doesn't come as part of the trade. Him for Druin straight up seems like a good deal for the Bolts.
DreadNaught

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:40 pm

There were pros and cons to keeping Sergachev or sending him down. But I like what they decided because it shows they're 100 percent going for it all this year and they feel he is a better option to contribute in doing so than whoever would take his roster place if he was sent down.

With the Bucs still sucking .... Thank God for the Lightning. THANK GOD!
pewterpirates

Postby Teitan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:32 pm

I feel like the Drouin drama could have been a lesson learned. Only this time, we NEED the defense so it makes sense. Oh and he can score.

This team is so good. I get excited for every game.
Teitan

Postby Alpha » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:52 pm

I remember a few years ago...when Hedman was just starting to come on...Yzerman said (paraphrasing) that it takes roughly 300 games for a defenseman to figure out this league. That's 3-4 years. Baring injury...the kid could be scary good by 22. Keep in mind...Uncle Kuch is only 23...so that's not a ridiculous statement.

Sergachev reminds me a LOT of a younger Hedman...except Serge has the offense (shot) that Hedman will never have. He's gonna be shaky at times (defensively) but he's with Stralman so he'll learn from one of the best.

Also...the kid is a MONSTER on the power play. His offensive skills are off the charts...and he's 19 YEARS OLD.

If they can stay relatively healthy...God help the rest of this league because I don't see another team capable of taking 4 of 7 from this Bolts team.

Columbus has their great,young defenders but their offense is weak. Pittsburgh's defense is terrible. Toronto doesn't have the defense either. I haven't seen the Kings play.

There just isn't a team that can score, play defense AND has the goaltending that Tampa has. They are the class of the league and I don't think it's even close, at this point.
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:57 pm

Solid win tonight. The pass from Kuch to Stammer was insane. Vasiy looked like spiderman a few times. Detroit has a couple of good young players; and played pretty well throughout.

That said, it's been SIX years since they've won at Amelie. So **** them; and their MMA style single leg takedowns.
Rocker

Postby Alpha » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:29 am

Rocker wrote:Solid win tonight. The pass from Kuch to Stammer was insane. Vasiy looked like spiderman a few times. Detroit has a couple of good young players; and played pretty well throughout.

That said, it's been SIX years since they've won at Amelie. So **** them; and their MMA style single leg takedowns.

The Bolts DOMINATED play tonight. Especially 5v5.

The only times Detroit was able to apply consistent pressure was during the PP. Even strength, this really wasn't much of a contest. DET was lucky to keep it this close. And Howard played really well in goal for them.

I agree. **** DET. This isn't really much of a rivalry...at least on our side. This is becoming like your high school homecoming game...schedule Our Sisters of the Poor and beat the **** out of them.

There are several teams in the East that will provide the Bolts a challenge. DET isn't one of them. They'll be near the bottom of the standings by the end of the year.

ANA on Sat will be an interesting game. Especially coming off of the beating they took from FLA tonight. IF we play like we did tonight, we should easily outscore them. They're a typical WC team, big, nasty and SLOW.

It's tough to nit-pick the Bolts right now. They clearly seem to be the class of the East and (along with the LA Kings), the NHL.
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:33 am

Alpha wrote:
Rocker wrote:Solid win tonight. The pass from Kuch to Stammer was insane. Vasiy looked like spiderman a few times. Detroit has a couple of good young players; and played pretty well throughout.

The only times Detroit was able to apply consistent pressure was during the PP. Even strength, this really wasn't much of a contest. DET was lucky to keep it this close. And Howard played really well in goal for them.

I agree. **** DET. This isn't really much of a rivalry...at least on our side. This is becoming like your high school homecoming game...schedule Our Sisters of the Poor and beat the **** out of them.

There are several teams in the East that will provide the Bolts a challenge. DET isn't one of them. They'll be near the bottom of the standings by the end of the year.

ANA on Sat will be an interesting game. Especially coming off of the beating they took from FLA tonight. IF we play like we did tonight, we should easily outscore them. They're a typical WC team, big, nasty and SLOW.

It's tough to nit-pick the Bolts right now. They clearly seem to be the class of the East and (along with the LA Kings), the NHL.

If I were to pick nits, I’d say we looked a little slow transitioning back into our zone; and our fore check passing wasn’t as crisp as other games.
Rocker

Postby Alpha » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:49 am

Rocker wrote:
Alpha wrote:

If I were to pick nits, I’d say we looked a little slow transitioning back into our zone; and our fore check passing wasn’t as crisp as other games.

Yeah...it seemed like we were relying on neutral zone "rushes" but I think that's just how this game played out. It was funny how we just seemed a LOT faster than DET...at all times. I just see a team that causes problems to other teams, with all 4 lines. Even a good goalie like Howard was under siege. He kept that game from getting out of hand.

Unlike the last 2 seasons, it's also nice to see this team SHOOTING the puck...instead of trying to "pass" it into the net. I like seeing 30+ shots/game. With our scorers...that is a very good thing.

I spoke with my bartner today...HUGE DET fan. He even admitted that the Lightning were really fun to watch (except when they were playing DET).

Looking forward to tonight vs Anaheim. Getzlaf is back. They just got embarrassed by FLA. I think this game is close...the Bolts could drop this if they don't come out inspired. Vasy is due for a bad game. I just don't like our spot here. Everything sets up for a TB loss. Hope I'm wrong and we hang 8 on them. That could happen as well...
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports