***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
post

***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

Postby Alpha » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:45 pm

**** Plinko Bot.

I'm stoked. This team will be a contender for years to come.

Looking forward to see who the new guys are gonna make the team this year.

GO BOLTS!!!
Alpha
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:04 pm

Hope no Stamkos injury this year
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Swashy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:18 pm

My expectations are tempered. Sergachev was a huge... ****ing HUGE acquisition by Yzerman because God knows we have enough forward talent in the prospect pipeline that will eventually replace Jonathan Drouin in the years to come. So you're not gonna hear me bitching about having easily the best defensive prospect we've had since Hedman almost 10 years ago. But more than anything I just want to see Cooper give the young blood a shot. It wasn't until we started dropping dead weight like Filppula that we finally perked up and got some life.

I wish I could be balls to the wall excited but we also lost the most gifted playmaker this team has in a very long time in Drouin. He made the engine go -especially on the power play. I'm less than enthusiastic about returning (essentially) the same lineup that has been lazy, undisciplined and apathetic in the last 2 regular seasons -treating it as if it's this inconvenient formality standing between the Lightning and April. Kunitz should've retired years ago and Girardi is rubber dog **** straight outta Hong Kong. If our power play is anything less than what it was last year then we are in big.... BIG trouble. I know Stamkos staying healthy will help a lot but this team lacks so much consistency and chemistry outside of the TKO line that we couldn't score with a handful of $50's on Nebraska Ave. I'd take the over on 15 times scoring a goal or less this year. I don't ever want to see Palat-Johnson-Kucherov together ever again. Put the big boys in Kucherov and Stamkos together, room them together, tie them to a string and leave it alone.

What I want to see happen

Conacher-Stamkos-Kucherov -> Because Conacher is a bulldog who loves to play fetch and it bodes well so Stamkos and Kucherov can play Globetrotters out there
Palat-Johnson-Callahan -> Because Palat and Callahan are ****ing GLORIOUS together when healthy and will give Johnson a little extra protection out there
Namestnikov-Point-Killorn -> Because if anyone is gonna get offense out our rotten eggs in Killorn and Namestnikov it'll be Point
Erne-Gourde-Brown -> New blood from Syracuse plus a proven penalty killer in Brown

Extras: Kunitz -> I don't like it but he can't be any worse than the scoring depth we already have. Should be good for at least 10 goals God willing

Temporary prospect tryouts: Raddysh and Cirelli -> Because both are champions in the OHL and neither have anything to prove. They are men amongst boys in their development

Hedman-Dotchin -> Dotchin was very effective playing with Hedman. Call it a rookie being carried by the greatness of Hedman but don't fix what isn't broken
Girardi-Coburn -> Because they're the best remaining option to round out the 3 and 4 defense if we want Sergachev playing normally*gulp*
Sergachev-Stralman -> Because we need a difference maker on the back end and I trust Stralman to look after Sergachev during any kind of learning curve.

7th Koekkoek-> Because **** Andrej Sustr that's why. I don't need any other explanation. I'm pretty sure Sergachev is already better than Sustr right now

Unfortunately I think Sergachev gets sent to the OHL and goes back to dominating like he's Victor Hedman in the junior leagues. I wish that were not the case

Vasilevskiy -> Time to see if the heir apparent to Bishop picks up where he left off. He was disastrous after New Years but then caught fire after the trade.
Budaj -> Because Vasilevskiy is our man in net. Plain and simple
Swashy
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:49 pm

Swashy wrote:My expectations are tempered. Sergachev was a huge... ****ing HUGE acquisition by Yzerman because God knows we have enough forward talent in the prospect pipeline that will eventually replace Jonathan Drouin in the years to come. So you're not gonna hear me bitching about having easily the best defensive prospect we've had since Hedman almost 10 years ago. But more than anything I just want to see Cooper give the young blood a shot. It wasn't until we started dropping dead weight like Filppula that we finally perked up and got some life.

I wish I could be balls to the wall excited but we also lost the most gifted playmaker this team has in a very long time in Drouin. He made the engine go -especially on the power play. I'm less than enthusiastic about returning (essentially) the same lineup that has been lazy, undisciplined and apathetic in the last 2 regular seasons -treating it as if it's this inconvenient formality standing between the Lightning and April. Kunitz should've retired years ago and Girardi is rubber dog **** straight outta Hong Kong. If our power play is anything less than what it was last year then we are in big.... BIG trouble. I know Stamkos staying healthy will help a lot but this team lacks so much consistency and chemistry outside of the TKO line that we couldn't score with a handful of $50's on Nebraska Ave. I'd take the over on 15 times scoring a goal or less this year. I don't ever want to see Palat-Johnson-Kucherov together ever again. Put the big boys in Kucherov and Stamkos together, room them together, tie them to a string and leave it alone.

What I want to see happen

Conacher-Stamkos-Kucherov -> Because Conacher is a bulldog who loves to play fetch and it bodes well so Stamkos and Kucherov can play Globetrotters out there
Palat-Johnson-Callahan -> Because Palat and Callahan are ****ing GLORIOUS together when healthy and will give Johnson a little extra protection out there
Namestnikov-Point-Killorn -> Because if anyone is gonna get offense out our rotten eggs in Killorn and Namestnikov it'll be Point
Erne-Gourde-Brown -> New blood from Syracuse plus a proven penalty killer in Brown

Extras: Kunitz -> I don't like it but he can't be any worse than the scoring depth we already have. Should be good for at least 10 goals God willing

Temporary prospect tryouts: Raddysh and Cirelli -> Because both are champions in the OHL and neither have anything to prove. They are men amongst boys in their development

Hedman-Dotchin -> Dotchin was very effective playing with Hedman. Call it a rookie being carried by the greatness of Hedman but don't fix what isn't broken
Girardi-Coburn -> Because they're the best remaining option to round out the 3 and 4 defense if we want Sergachev playing normally*gulp*
Sergachev-Stralman -> Because we need a difference maker on the back end and I trust Stralman to look after Sergachev during any kind of learning curve.

7th Koekkoek-> Because **** Andrej Sustr that's why. I don't need any other explanation. I'm pretty sure Sergachev is already better than Sustr right now

Unfortunately I think Sergachev gets sent to the OHL and goes back to dominating like he's Victor Hedman in the junior leagues. I wish that were not the case

Vasilevskiy -> Time to see if the heir apparent to Bishop picks up where he left off. He was disastrous after New Years but then caught fire after the trade.
Budaj -> Because Vasilevskiy is our man in net. Plain and simple


Love the post. Clearly a knowledgeable fan.

I really like the way you have the D set up and agree completely. Including Girardi. That was my biggest WTF move this off-season. He was warm dog-shit in NY last year. I'm PRAYING Stevie Y knows something we don't...but he probably does. I just can't see Sergachev playing more than half a season in the minors...that's IF he doesn't make the team outright. We get an extra (2nd?) rounder, if he does. I could easily see us moving him up after 40 games and cutting Girardi if he doesn't step up his game.

As far as the offense goes...I think you're selling Kunitz short...and that he'll be your Conacher on the first line. Dude...Conacher is NOT a first liner. EVER. A healthy Callahan will do wonders.

Our power play IS going to be worse. It was one of the best last year...and Drouin was why. That said...Drouin was miserable 5 v 5 so I expect we'll be much better there. Especially with a healthy Stammer. Don't forget...for the first 20 or so games last year (before the Stamkos injury), our offense looked pretty ****ing fire.

I really like your 4th line as well...and agree completely. I just love how this team is set up for the next 10 years. Cirelli, Raddysh, Howden...I don't think these guys get the shot THIS YEAR...but Holy Christ...offensively, we are set for years to come.

This team is going to be a SC contender for many, many years. Of course, you're going to have down years from time to time...but there is ZERO reason why...health issues aside, this team can't win a Stanley this year.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Swashy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:28 am

I hope you're right, Alpha. In particular about Kunitz, Sergachev and Girardi. I don't think Yzerman would just cut Girardi short like that. The depth between Hedman and the rest of the LD is like falling off Mount Everest and rolling your way into the Mariana Trench. Not unless Sergachev proves himself so ready that he slots into the top 4 paired with Coburn and Slater Koekkoek takes the left side on the bottom defensive pair and we have Stralman watch his back. I do hope Coburn gets a chance to play with Sergachev. He's about as boring as watching paint dry but if you give him a partner that can move the puck well and generate offense, Coburn thrives because it allows him to focus on what he has to do. Corbun will never EVER carry a pairing but if you give him someone who knows what he's doing out there (particularly when he was paired with Garrison in 2014-2015 after the trade deadline) you're gonna get the best out of him. The whole defense took a nose dive after Bishop's injury last year so I'm not reading too much into his bad games last year. If I did that then the sky should be falling because Stralman is getting old -lol yeah right.

I'm hoping the 2nd rounder in the Sergachev trade wasn't like a GM calling the other's bluff on the deal. You can always use a 2nd round pick but I'd rather see us invest our time into developing Sergachev. He's not going to learn anything junior that he does not already know. I know we tried the "Well he needs playing time and he'll get it in another league" route with Slater Koekkoek for the last few years but Sergachev is simply too good for it. If you haven't watched his performance in the Memorial Cup then do it. It's hockey Viagra.

As for Kunitz, I try to keep in mind he lived on a line with with Crosby or Malkin seemingly at all times. Again I just hope you're right about him. Kunitz is 38 and it feels like a redux of Brendan Morrow from 2014-2015. As for Conacher I think he just needs a chance. To your point he's never proven himself a 1st line player but there's no way on earth I would ever... EVER play Namestnikov on a top line again no matter how much he and Kucherov beg for it. He makes Teddy Purcell look like Marty St. Louis. It's gotten to the point where I call him "Boo" to Lady Swash because he's like a ghost out there so many nights. Sure he puts up great even strength numbers but the lack of consistency is maddening. And unless Killorn (whose consistency is even more streaky) is riding his month-to-month hot streak I'd keep him on the 3rd line with Point -who seems like he can play with anyone. To Killorn's credit he's played well with Stamkos and Callahan in the past (particularly against the NYR in the ECF a few years back) but that and during our 9 game win streak the next year (2015-2016) was the only time that combination really had any success. It's like saying "Well we've tried it 10 times and it worked twice." At this point I'm willing to gamble on Conacher as if he was the little engine that could. As for the 4th line I left Paquette out on purpose. I love how feisty he is and how he agitates the living **** out of every person he plays against but we need more scoring depth. J.T Brown has proven he'll step to anyone even if he knows he'll get wiped down on the ice.

*sigh* I miss Radko Gudas. That was a mean SOB.

Regardless of how the lineup shapes out via Cooper's decision, the beginning of our year will make or break us. Without looking I think 13 of our first 15 games are against the Eastern Conference. We won't make the playoffs based on those first 15 games but Lord knows we'll wish for every one of them back if we start poorly. We're going to need some good chemistry to start with. I think Kucherov and Stamkos should figure each other out but my only concern is that they both have a tendency to over-think and regardless of if they are playing together or apart, both will try too hard to be the passer instead of the shooter because neither is a selfish player. Kucherov figured out "Whenever I shoot it goes in" last year and I hope he stick with it. Stamkos is gonna put home 40 goals in his sleep but keeping Kucherov that engaged is going to be a challenge. Every time Brian Engblom brings up that anecdote of how conversation with Kucherov about how he needs to shoot more I cringe a little because Kucherov's answer was, "I'm a Russian. If I get the puck I'm going to pass it"
Swashy
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Swashy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:34 am

PS- The Lightning prospect to keep our eye on is Alexei Lipanov of the Barrie Colts in the OHL. By the looks of it coach Dale Hawerchuk is going to have him playing with Andrei Svechnikov. That kid is the TRUTH and I'll be shocked if he isn't taken within the first 2 picks. Not that Lipanov is any slouch but you don't play with a prospect the caliber of Svechnikov and not benefit from it enormously.
Swashy
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:03 am

Swashy wrote:PS- The Lightning prospect to keep our eye on is Alexei Lipanov of the Barrie Colts in the OHL. By the looks of it coach Dale Hawerchuk is going to have him playing with Andrei Svechnikov. That kid is the TRUTH and I'll be shocked if he isn't taken within the first 2 picks. Not that Lipanov is any slouch but you don't play with a prospect the caliber of Svechnikov and not benefit from it enormously.


Agreed...but too young and inexperienced.

I'd be shocked if he comes up this year...but surprises happen (Point).
Alpha
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:38 am

Swashy wrote:I hope you're right, Alpha. In particular about Kunitz, Sergachev and Girardi. I don't think Yzerman would just cut Girardi short like that. The depth between Hedman and the rest of the LD is like falling off Mount Everest and rolling your way into the Mariana Trench. Not unless Sergachev proves himself so ready that he slots into the top 4 paired with Coburn and Slater Koekkoek takes the left side on the bottom defensive pair and we have Stralman watch his back. I do hope Coburn gets a chance to play with Sergachev. He's about as boring as watching paint dry but if you give him a partner that can move the puck well and generate offense, Coburn thrives because it allows him to focus on what he has to do. Corbun will never EVER carry a pairing but if you give him someone who knows what he's doing out there (particularly when he was paired with Garrison in 2014-2015 after the trade deadline) you're gonna get the best out of him. The whole defense took a nose dive after Bishop's injury last year so I'm not reading too much into his bad games last year. If I did that then the sky should be falling because Stralman is getting old -lol yeah right.

I'm hoping the 2nd rounder in the Sergachev trade wasn't like a GM calling the other's bluff on the deal. You can always use a 2nd round pick but I'd rather see us invest our time into developing Sergachev. He's not going to learn anything junior that he does not already know. I know we tried the "Well he needs playing time and he'll get it in another league" route with Slater Koekkoek for the last few years but Sergachev is simply too good for it. If you haven't watched his performance in the Memorial Cup then do it. It's hockey Viagra.

As for Kunitz, I try to keep in mind he lived on a line with with Crosby or Malkin seemingly at all times. Again I just hope you're right about him. Kunitz is 38 and it feels like a redux of Brendan Morrow from 2014-2015. As for Conacher I think he just needs a chance. To your point he's never proven himself a 1st line player but there's no way on earth I would ever... EVER play Namestnikov on a top line again no matter how much he and Kucherov beg for it. He makes Teddy Purcell look like Marty St. Louis. It's gotten to the point where I call him "Boo" to Lady Swash because he's like a ghost out there so many nights. Sure he puts up great even strength numbers but the lack of consistency is maddening. And unless Killorn (whose consistency is even more streaky) is riding his month-to-month hot streak I'd keep him on the 3rd line with Point -who seems like he can play with anyone. To Killorn's credit he's played well with Stamkos and Callahan in the past (particularly against the NYR in the ECF a few years back) but that and during our 9 game win streak the next year (2015-2016) was the only time that combination really had any success. It's like saying "Well we've tried it 10 times and it worked twice." At this point I'm willing to gamble on Conacher as if he was the little engine that could. As for the 4th line I left Paquette out on purpose. I love how feisty he is and how he agitates the living **** out of every person he plays against but we need more scoring depth. J.T Brown has proven he'll step to anyone even if he knows he'll get wiped down on the ice.

*sigh* I miss Radko Gudas. That was a mean SOB.

Regardless of how the lineup shapes out via Cooper's decision, the beginning of our year will make or break us. Without looking I think 13 of our first 15 games are against the Eastern Conference. We won't make the playoffs based on those first 15 games but Lord knows we'll wish for every one of them back if we start poorly. We're going to need some good chemistry to start with. I think Kucherov and Stamkos should figure each other out but my only concern is that they both have a tendency to over-think and regardless of if they are playing together or apart, both will try too hard to be the passer instead of the shooter because neither is a selfish player. Kucherov figured out "Whenever I shoot it goes in" last year and I hope he stick with it. Stamkos is gonna put home 40 goals in his sleep but keeping Kucherov that engaged is going to be a challenge. Every time Brian Engblom brings up that anecdote of how conversation with Kucherov about how he needs to shoot more I cringe a little because Kucherov's answer was, "I'm a Russian. If I get the puck I'm going to pass it"



RE: Sergachev. He WILL be paired with a Coburn/Girardi type. He is an offensive D-man. I agree...putting him in the OHL (or wherever) would do him no good. He NEEDS to be in the NHL. He is good enough. Which makes the Girardi signing even MORE curious. We already had enough veterans to "mentor" him along.

Gudas is a by-gone era. The NHL is going to more of a European style game. The bruisers are being weeded out. The Callahan types are the new "Gudas". We have enough guys who will take PM. Although I could see Gudas playing the Callahan roll, I trust Callahan more (when he's healthy). Cally is a Captain. Gudas is a goon.

Slater is an interesting case. I think he was signed for only 1 year. For whatever reason, this staff doesn't seem to be a big fan of him (like Marchessault, 2 years ago). I'm still not sure what they want to see from him. This is his last chance. I hope he shows...whatever. He's a 1st rounder and would show with a Stralman...but again...I'm not sure what they want to see...

I think you and I have a very differing opinion of Namestikov. I think this is his year. He can play on ANY line. You put him with Stammer and Kuch...I think that works even better than Kunitz. And he's still young as hell. I think if you get a Namestikov/Stammer/Kuch line and you'll roll all night long. I just think that the staff uses him all over the ice, on every line...because they CAN. He's that good.

Assuming a healthy Stamkos and Callahan...I just don't see how we don't put up 3+ goals a game.

And a Kunitz/Palat/Johnson line wouldn't suck either.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:37 am

After the back-to-back runs to the SCF and ECF, if we don't make it back to the top in the next 1-2 years, it will be VERY disappointing. It sucked (obviously) losing vs. Chicago & Pittsburgh, but I felt like we were so young and loaded that we'd have another 3-4 year window of being a top 3 team in the NHL. Last year flat-out sucked.

I want to believe we're going to be a top-3 team in the East, but, like Swashy, I'm so hesitant to have really high expectations.

Also, after those two great runs, everyone loved Coop. Now I feel like there's some question there as to is he still the right man for the job?

Hopefully Yzerman's odd offseason moves pay off, but like ya'll, a couple of them seem very, very questionable.
pewterpirates
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Rocker » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:29 pm

**** off. Lord Stanley's going to enjoy the weather in Tampa.
Image
User avatar
Rocker
 
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 am
Location: Valrico
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Swashy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:58 pm

Love the confidence, Rocker but this team has to prove to itself first that it can contend before we even start talking about a championship. We've got a lot of competition in the way and this will arguably be the hardest fought for Cup in years.
Swashy
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Bucsgirl-DK » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:23 pm

The Rays suck and the Bucs just made a lot of fans lose all hope, so of course right now everybody will be looking at the Lightning to be the saviors of the Bay area.
Bucsgirl-DK
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:24 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:01 am

Bucsgirl-DK wrote:The Rays suck and the Bucs just made a lot of fans lose all hope, so of course right now everybody will be looking at the Lightning to be the saviors of the Bay area.



And what exactly, is your ****ing point?

Here's an idea....have one.

Douche.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:27 am

Still waiting to see who the final cuts are. We should know by tomorrow (later today).

REALLY wanting Sergachev to make the team outright.

I'll have my season update then.

Swash...you're being short-sighted here and not giving Yzerman the due he has MORE than earned.

Girardi is here for a REASON.

The power play won't be as good (or exciting) without Drouin...but our TEAM will be. Drouin's numbers 5 v 5 were TERRIBLE.

I get it. You're related to Conacher and want him on the Stammer/Kuch line...but the fact is Conaher is a scrub. He's an AHL guy, at this point. When Namestikov was on that line last year...they were FIRE. You've said it yourself...the line will put up great "even strength" numbers. THAT IS WHERE YOU PLAY MOST OF THE GAME! Yzerman made a concerted effort to improve that aspect of our team (KUNITZ).

You seem like an "old school" guy. The game has changed...and with the new crackdown on slashing, it's changing even more. The grinders (Gudas) are being phased out in favor of he more up-tempo, European style of game. Don't be shocked if the NHL moves to the bigger, Euro-style rink in the next 3 yeas or so.

You need to let go, bro. The game is passing you by.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:34 am

pewterpirates wrote:After the back-to-back runs to the SCF and ECF, if we don't make it back to the top in the next 1-2 years, it will be VERY disappointing. It sucked (obviously) losing vs. Chicago & Pittsburgh, but I felt like we were so young and loaded that we'd have another 3-4 year window of being a top 3 team in the NHL. Last year flat-out sucked.

I want to believe we're going to be a top-3 team in the East, but, like Swashy, I'm so hesitant to have really high expectations.

Also, after those two great runs, everyone loved Coop. Now I feel like there's some question there as to is he still the right man for the job?

Hopefully Yzerman's odd offseason moves pay off, but like ya'll, a couple of them seem very, very questionable.


Expectations should be high.

And this team will be in contention for many years. Yzerman is from the Detroit organization. They (and he) know how to build contending teams on a year-in, year-out basis. If you see who we have coming up through the minors over the next 2 years or so, you'd see how stacked this organization really is.

This team was ****ing TIRED last year. And Stammer out after 20 or so games, really put us behind the 8 Ball.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to think this team won't be in the hunt. Barring catastrophic injuries, of course.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Swashy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Looks like we're pretty much getting the big club on the ice tonight. I'm praying this roster gets some much needed turnover. I'm about done with the likes of Brown and Paquette. Volkov has been a great surprise and I'm excited to see what kind of impact Conacher and Gourde make. Add a gamer like Kunitz and we've got more depth along 4 lines than we've ever had.
Swashy
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Swashy wrote:Looks like we're pretty much getting the big club on the ice tonight. I'm praying this roster gets some much needed turnover. I'm about done with the likes of Brown and Paquette. Volkov has been a great surprise and I'm excited to see what kind of impact Conacher and Gourde make. Add a gamer like Kunitz and we've got more depth along 4 lines than we've ever had.



LOL!

Seriously. What is your hard on over Conacher? He's an AHL guy! Are you related to him somehow?

He only gets a SNIFF of the Bolts, IF we have massive injuries to our offense.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Swashy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:13 am

Alpha wrote:
Swashy wrote:Looks like we're pretty much getting the big club on the ice tonight. I'm praying this roster gets some much needed turnover. I'm about done with the likes of Brown and Paquette. Volkov has been a great surprise and I'm excited to see what kind of impact Conacher and Gourde make. Add a gamer like Kunitz and we've got more depth along 4 lines than we've ever had.



LOL!

Seriously. What is your hard on over Conacher? He's an AHL guy! Are you related to him somehow?

He only gets a SNIFF of the Bolts, IF we have massive injuries to our offense.


Because he's still better than guys like Brown and Paquette -who we've had for the last 3 years. How many goals are those guys going to score? Maybe 7 combined and maybe 2 in the 20+ playoff games it's gonna take to win the Cup? Fuuuuccckkkkk that!! Conacher is a fringe NHL'er but he can at least accomplish that on his own if we give him time on the power play. And at least the dude has a shred of offensive IQ. Brown and Paquette literally just know "stand in front of the net" or they can let out those sorry ass noodle shots that manage to skip 3 feet wide every time they let it loose. When **** gets tough in the regular season and the playoffs we're going to need the occasional goal and Lord knows neither of those chumps are gonna do it. Conacher can at least do it by accident whereas we've seen Brown miss open nets. Give me a 4th line of Volkov-Gourde-Conacher. You're right... Conacher's not a very good player but I'd rather take a chance than stick with guys who haven't made much difference at all. Plus Paquette takes the stupidest penalties sometimes

I hate to pick on those guys in particular but the big point is about rolling 4 lines that can chip in offensively like Pittsburgh does.

Point-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-Killorn (swap with Callahan as needed)
Kunitz-Namestnikov-Callahan (swap with Killorn as needed)
Volkov-Gourde-Conacher

It's not the prettiest thing you're ever going to see but it would work. All we lose is 2 glorified penalty killers that can be replaced by Kunitz and Girardi.
Swashy
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:21 am

Swashy wrote:
Alpha wrote:

LOL!

Seriously. What is your hard on over Conacher? He's an AHL guy! Are you related to him somehow?

He only gets a SNIFF of the Bolts, IF we have massive injuries to our offense.


Because he's still better than guys like Brown and Paquette -who we've had for the last 3 years. How many goals are those guys going to score? Maybe 7 combined and maybe 2 in the 20+ playoff games it's gonna take to win the Cup? Fuuuuccckkkkk that!! Conacher is a fringe NHL'er but he can at least accomplish that on his own if we give him time on the power play. And at least the dude has a shred of offensive IQ. Brown and Paquette literally just know "stand in front of the net" or they can let out those sorry ass noodle shots that manage to skip 3 feet wide every time they let it loose. When **** gets tough in the regular season and the playoffs we're going to need the occasional goal and Lord knows neither of those chumps are gonna do it. Conacher can at least do it by accident whereas we've seen Brown miss open nets. Give me a 4th line of Volkov-Gourde-Conacher. You're right... Conacher's not a very good player but I'd rather take a chance than stick with guys who haven't made much difference at all. Plus Paquette takes the stupidest penalties sometimes

I hate to pick on those guys in particular but the big point is about rolling 4 lines that can chip in offensively like Pittsburgh does.

Point-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-Killorn (swap with Callahan as needed)
Kunitz-Namestnikov-Callahan (swap with Killorn as needed)
Volkov-Gourde-Conacher

It's not the prettiest thing you're ever going to see but it would work. All we lose is 2 glorified penalty killers that can be replaced by Kunitz and Girardi.


Ok. Let's make this simple:

Conacher was playing in the SWISS LEAGUE 2 years ago....because NOBODY in the NHL wanted him.

I'm just guessing here...but I'm going to assume that IF Conacher was worth a warm bucket of spit, he would be playing for the Bolts as opposed to Brown or Paquette. He isn't a "fringe" NHL'er. He is a nice AHL piece. That's it. If he were a better player, he WOULD be playing for the Lightning. He isn't. Thus, he isn't.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Swashy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:30 am

Alpha wrote:
Swashy wrote:
Because he's still better than guys like Brown and Paquette -who we've had for the last 3 years. How many goals are those guys going to score? Maybe 7 combined and maybe 2 in the 20+ playoff games it's gonna take to win the Cup? Fuuuuccckkkkk that!! Conacher is a fringe NHL'er but he can at least accomplish that on his own if we give him time on the power play. And at least the dude has a shred of offensive IQ. Brown and Paquette literally just know "stand in front of the net" or they can let out those sorry ass noodle shots that manage to skip 3 feet wide every time they let it loose. When **** gets tough in the regular season and the playoffs we're going to need the occasional goal and Lord knows neither of those chumps are gonna do it. Conacher can at least do it by accident whereas we've seen Brown miss open nets. Give me a 4th line of Volkov-Gourde-Conacher. You're right... Conacher's not a very good player but I'd rather take a chance than stick with guys who haven't made much difference at all. Plus Paquette takes the stupidest penalties sometimes

I hate to pick on those guys in particular but the big point is about rolling 4 lines that can chip in offensively like Pittsburgh does.

Point-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-Killorn (swap with Callahan as needed)
Kunitz-Namestnikov-Callahan (swap with Killorn as needed)
Volkov-Gourde-Conacher

It's not the prettiest thing you're ever going to see but it would work. All we lose is 2 glorified penalty killers that can be replaced by Kunitz and Girardi.


Ok. Let's make this simple:

Conacher was playing in the SWISS LEAGUE 2 years ago....because NOBODY in the NHL wanted him.

I'm just guessing here...but I'm going to assume that IF Conacher was worth a warm bucket of spit, he would be playing for the Bolts as opposed to Brown or Paquette. He isn't a "fringe" NHL'er. He is a nice AHL piece. That's it. If he were a better player, he WOULD be playing for the Lightning. He isn't. Thus, he isn't.


Well the final cuts haven't been made yet and he's still there on last check. Don't underestimate the Swiss League. He didn't just play there he dominated the competition at times and led the league in scoring most of the season.. But anyway that's why I said he at least has a shred of offensive IQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTWbHEG5aVU

I'm not saying he's gonna do this at the NHL level but I can promise you that players such as Brown and Paquette wouldn't be doing this at ANY level. They're not gonna shoot the puck any better in Switzerland than they do in the United States. Unless the laws of physics cease to exist in Europe and abide by completely different laws of gravity that pull the puck 3 feet in the other direction for a shot on goal then they're still gonna be the same grinder there as they are here. If only it could somehow direct their actual shots on goal to a corner instead of a goalie's chest.

But all said and done, this is Conacher's 2nd year with the Lightning. If he can't make it stick then **** him. We haven't had a training camp this wide open since 2013-2014 when a bunch of kids named Johnson, Palat, Killorn, Brown and Gudas made the team. If Conacher fails it's on him but I don't see that happening just yet. Whether it's Conacher or someone else we need to be able to roll 4 lines if we want to get out of the East because the unfortunate fact of the matter is the road to the SCF goes through Pittsburgh and those motherfuckers got like 7 people that can score 20 goals.
Swashy
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:26 am

Swashy wrote:
Alpha wrote:
Ok. Let's make this simple:

Conacher was playing in the SWISS LEAGUE 2 years ago....because NOBODY in the NHL wanted him.

I'm just guessing here...but I'm going to assume that IF Conacher was worth a warm bucket of spit, he would be playing for the Bolts as opposed to Brown or Paquette. He isn't a "fringe" NHL'er. He is a nice AHL piece. That's it. If he were a better player, he WOULD be playing for the Lightning. He isn't. Thus, he isn't.


Well the final cuts haven't been made yet and he's still there on last check.


Yeah...no.

Back in the AHL.

Dude...he's there for a reason.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby The Bad Guy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:21 pm

That breath of fresh air when you realize it's the start of the season. Sorry boys, you'll have to wait another two days.

Next Thursday sees the Penguins take on your Lightning. Will be a good matchup with both teams healthy for once.
Image
User avatar
The Bad Guy
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:35 pm

The Bad Guy wrote:That breath of fresh air when you realize it's the start of the season. Sorry boys, you'll have to wait another two days.

Next Thursday sees the Penguins take on your Lightning. Will be a good matchup with both teams healthy for once.



Will be an interesting early preview of the upcoming Eastern Conference Finals...
Alpha
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Oh boy..

ESPN analyst Barry Melrose picks Lightning to win it all.

lot of ESPN experts pick the Oilers
User avatar
Phantom Phenom
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:11 am

3-1.

Just watched the replay of tonight's game vs. PIT.

Also watched the game vs. WAS.

Early thoughts:



Frankly, this team looks like they could roll out of bed and hang 4-5 on ANYONE. IF this team stays healthy, I don't see this changing anytime soon. 3 Lines deep. Everyone is contributing...at this point, I think Gourde is the only player of significance that hasn't scored. At some point, the puck bounces are going to go right and they're gonna embarrass the **** out of someone.

The defense is a concern. At this point, I'm chalking it up to several new players that are still learning to gel together. It's only been 4 games. If this continues past 15 or so, I'll get concerned. They are giving up FAR too many quality scoring chances.

God bless Vasy. His numbers aren't going to look great...but they don't tell the story. He's made some outrageous saves that have kept this team afloat, despite their defensive play. Maybe 1 soft goal...but lord almighty...he's made some ridiculous saves thus far.

It's nice to see this team averaging around 30 shots/game. Haven't seen the stretch where they only put up 20 or so and playing 1 period of hockey while dogging the other 2. They are playing hard for ALL 3 quarters.

Overall...I'm ok with where we're at NOW. The offense should keep us in games until the defense figures it out. Especially defending the power play. They look unsure and unconfident. I think it would help if the Bolts settled on a top 6 on defense. Sustr and Koekkoek splitting time is hurting. Not knowing where to fit Girardi in, is hurting (although he played a good game tonight.) 2 wins against WAS and PIT. That doesn't suck. This team is playing with speed and putting shots on goal.

Their division is gonna be tough. 4-5 very solid teams. I think FLA will fade. Same with NJ. Looking forward to SAT vs the Blues...another very good team. We go 4-0 at home and it's gonna be tough to find fault with this team.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:48 am

On a side note:

Welcome home Drouin.

You ain't so good when your team sucks, are ya?

I watched the Habs the other night. WTF are they doing with him? Have him out on the wing....doing NOTHING. Passing into the center or out on the wing. He's essentially a stationary player. What a ****ing mess.

Drouin is a side-show on skates. Let him do his thing on offense (and especially the PP) and fuck-all to "schemes". That's (essentially) what TB did last year. He hurts your 5v5 but on the PP he is a monster. And SOMEHOW, MON can't figure this out and is trying to make him "conform". It's cute how they've castrated his creativity and turned him into a "role" player.

He brought this on himself.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:53 am

Watched the replay of TB/StL

It's always entertaining to watch us play against Western Conference teams, with their big-ass, slow defenders. Edmonton is one of the few WC teams that play an EC style of hockey.

The Bolts clearly decided to focus on defense this game and played their best all-around game of the year. Vasy was his usual stud self in goal. Teresenko is amazing. I wish he played for us.

Starting 4-1 is encouraging. The hype may be legit.

On the road for a few against teams I thought would suck this year but have started off on fire. DET and NJ, back-to-back. If we can beat the Wings...I don't care if we lose to NJ. **** Detroit. Should see Boudaj for the first time, in goal.

Will be nice when we get to see the shitty teams for a stretch.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Rocker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:28 pm

Teresenko is fun to watch.

What's more fun to watch is Stammer/Kucherov.
Image
User avatar
Rocker
 
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 am
Location: Valrico
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Alpha » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:26 am

Rocker wrote:Teresenko is fun to watch.

What's more fun to watch is Stammer/Kucherov.



Teresenko is fun to watch. He's got a ridiculous wrister.

This Bolts team is reminding me of 2 years ago. Great at home and able to adjust their style of play to the opponent...and beat them at it.

Back to back MON and TUE...against 1st place teams.

Time to see what's, what.
Alpha
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 am
Location: St. Pete
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Rocker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:49 am

Alpha wrote:
Rocker wrote:Teresenko is fun to watch.

What's more fun to watch is Stammer/Kucherov.



Teresenko is fun to watch. He's got a ridiculous wrister.

This Bolts team is reminding me of 2 years ago. Great at home and able to adjust their style of play to the opponent...and beat them at it.

Back to back MON and TUE...against 1st place teams.

Time to see what's, what.



I'm man enough to admit that a lot of the finer points of the game are beyond my comprehension at this point. I took a long, long break from being a hockey fan. Hell, the last live action I saw was 1999-ish Solar Bears. But I've always enjoyed the sport, going way back to watching the glory days of the Red Wings with my gramps (who was getting toasted on TAB and whiskey) in his garage in Flint.

I tell ya though. This team has me excited. Clean up the defense a bit; continue our fast, aggressive offensive play.... we WILL be a team that other clubs don't want to face on the ice. I believe we can take the East.
Image
User avatar
Rocker
 
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 am
Location: Valrico
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Next

post

Return to Other Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest