***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:28 pm

Lightning look great tonight ..5-0 in the 3rd

Always amazes me how Stammer can fit the puck between the goalie and goal post with just a tiny bit of room
Jason Bourne

Postby SixStringSamurai » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:17 pm

This ****ing team is the total opposite of the Bucs lol
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:30 am

I'm a bartender so I worked late tonight...one of our busiest of the year. Got home in time to see the replay of the entire 3rd quarter.

That goal by Stammer was pretty soft...but he fit it in. Somehow.

The effort against Philadelphia bothered me. They came out tonight and put it on a decent team. I would've been more impressed if Bobrovsky was in goal but a nice win, regardless.

And FINALLY, we get Toronto. I'm off TUES night so I'll see the entire game. Looking forward to see how we do against an offense that can match our speed. There aren't many.

Here's the thing that nags me about the Bolts. Maybe it's a concern with other teams as well:

When Callahan went down...the play looked shaky...even in winning. When Stralman missed a couple of games...the D REALLY struggled. Especially on the PP/PK.

This team scares me when we have to play Sustr and/or Koekkoek on a nightly basis. When we're healthy, I don't think there's a team that compares. Even in the Vegas loss...that was the game TJ missed due to illness. And we see how he's coming along...

It just seems like EVERY injury really shakes this team. Disturbingly so.

Maybe I'm just being reactionary...
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Really surprised that the regs don’t make into this thread more often
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:01 am

SixStringSamurai wrote:Really surprised that the regs don’t make into this thread more often

I'm surprised there aren't more (Bay Area) hockey fans. Sure we sell out 20k every night but a LOT of people have never even watched a hockey game. And once they do, they love it. For some reason, it's just not a sport that people even want to give a shot. If they only took the time to watch ONE game, they'd be hooked. Especially Millennials. They have the attention span of cicadas...hockey is the PERFECT sport for those type of people. Non-stop action. It just doesn't end.

If you get the chance, subscribe to The Hockey Guy on YouTube. He really knows his **** and goes into things like WHY the NHL is the way it is now. Getting rid of the Neutral Zone Trap and the red line, in order to open up the game. And how coaches figured out how to slow down fast teams (slashing)...and how (and why) the league is now enforcing slashing so harshly.

In fact, tonight, he posted a 30 minute video on why Stevie Y is a ****ing genius.
Alpha

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:54 am

SixStringSamurai wrote:Really surprised that the regs don’t make into this thread more often

Everyone is so used to bitching about the Bucs that we don't know how to react when we have a team so obviously better than everyone else in the league.
bucfanclw

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:02 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if we lose 5-1 tonight. And I wouldn't be surprised if we win 5-1 tonight, either.

It'll be interesting to see how the Lightning do over the next 5-6 weeks. I broke down their schedule a few posts back. I think it's just going to be a really tough month....which is why being so dominant in December was HUGE.

Like Alpha has said repeatedly, I'd rather go in the playoffs as a "3rd or 4th" seed and be healthy than go in as the President Cup winners & be banged up. Because when healthy, I only think a couple of teams can even hang with us when we're on our game.
pewterpirates

Postby Teitan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:17 pm

I always say that if people gave hockey a shot, it’d be one of the bigger sports. Contact, speed, tense games, no ties. Etc etc.
Teitan

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:27 pm

Teitan wrote:I always say that if people gave hockey a shot, it’d be one of the bigger sports. Contact, speed, tense games, no ties. Etc etc.

I think it's just so different from other sports and so many other people simply don't know the rules, that they don't even bother.

What I don't get is why so many millenials are drawn to soccer nowadays.
pewterpirates

Postby Buc2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:55 pm

pewterpirates wrote:
Teitan wrote:I always say that if people gave hockey a shot, it’d be one of the bigger sports. Contact, speed, tense games, no ties. Etc etc.

I think it's just so different from other sports and so many other people simply don't know the rules, that they don't even bother.

I think the rules, for the most part, are pretty straight forward in the NHL. No where near as convoluted as NFL rules are. As for judgement calls, the NHL has their share just as any referred sport does.

And, yeah... I don't get the soccer thing with the millennials either.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Swashy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:31 pm

Ah yes we finally get the Leafs. Definitely a playoff preview. I hope we burn it down.

Show no mercy
Swashy

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:07 pm

Swashy wrote:Ah yes we finally get the Leafs. Definitely a playoff preview. I hope we burn it down.

Show no mercy

First went about as expected. Even matched offenses. The difference SHOULD be the defenses. TB clearly has the better D but thus far, TOR is playing well.

No serious scoring chances. TOR best chance was probably the crazy deflection off of Stamkos' stick.

Good to see the Bolts not come out flat, as they tend to do from time to time. Haven't seen the stats but from the eye test, we have dominated ToP. We have kept the puck in their end, pretty much, at will.

IF we put together 3 periods like this, I think TOR defense will break...like most teams do against us.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:13 pm

pewterpirates wrote:

It's really not very different from soccer. It's just much more fast paced. Unlike soccer, offsides is much more cut and dried in hockey. In soccer, it's more subjective.

There are really only 5 or so penalties that are really ever called in hockey...and it's pretty straight-forward. Having lines on the ice helps tremendously...

I took a buddy to his first Lightning game a month or so ago. He's (coincidentally) a black guy. Had never even CONSIDERED going to a game before. He had the time of his life and is begging me to take him to another game. He played football growing up and never knew hockey was so easy to follow and he loved the non-stop action. He was UNHAPPY that he didn't have time to get to the concession stand as often. He was afraid he'd miss something. LOL!
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:15 pm

bucfanclw wrote:

Everyone is so used to bitching about the Bucs that we don't know how to react when we have a team so obviously better than everyone else in the league.

It's a damned shame because the Lightning are damn fun to watch.

Who would've EVER thought that a professional HOCKEY team would out-draw a "professional" baseball team, in TAMPA, FL?

Crazy.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:30 pm

I hope y'all are watching the 2nd period. This is insane.
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:32 pm

Alpha wrote:I hope y'all are watching the 2nd period. This is insane.

Glued to the screen!

GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!
Rocker

Postby Swashy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:41 pm

Buc2 wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:

I think the rules, for the most part, are pretty straight forward in the NHL. No where near as convoluted as NFL rules are. As for judgement calls, the NHL has their share just as any referred sport does.

Soccer is basically hockey on grass with more players. It's probably the best and most entertaining game in the world if you get a good match. I became an LFC supporter out of spite to the Glazers and Man U and believe me I've seen enough games where a 2-1 score with good ball movement, exchange of possession and back and forth chances will give you a heart attack faster than anything you've ever watched in the NFL. The problem is that so many European clubs are all about "muh defense" that they just clog the **** out of every passing and shooting lane until someone just basically scores by accident. It makes for an incredibly boring product. But when you've got 100+ years of tradition the fans don't understand anything else and don't see it that way.
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:47 pm

If Vasilevskiy keeps this up he's going to have a chance to break the all time record for wins in a season.
Swashy

Postby Teitan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:48 pm

Swashy wrote:
Buc2 wrote:

Soccer is basically hockey on grass with more players. It's probably the best and most entertaining game in the world if you get a good match. I became an LFC supporter out of spite to the Glazers and Man U and believe me I've seen enough games where a 2-1 score with good ball movement, exchange of possession and back and forth chances will give you a heart attack faster than anything you've ever watched in the NFL. The problem is that so many European clubs are all about "muh defense" that they just clog the **** out of every passing and shooting lane until someone just basically scores by accident. It makes for an incredibly boring product. But when you've got 100+ years of tradition the fans don't understand anything else and don't see it that way.

Millennials :roll:
Teitan

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:53 pm

The good news (if you're a TOR fan)...you held the Bolts to 2 goals...and that hasn't been done in a month. Congrats.

The bad news: We have Vasy and you don't.

Great game by both teams. The Leafs are probably the only team (maybe Vegas), that can roll out 3 lines as good as Tampa.

That's why we win with 4.

TOR played great D tonight. Anderson was a stud in goal. He was just the 2nd best goalie out there tonight.

I said it a couple of weeks ago...TOR is a NHL defenseman away from being as good as Tampa. Our defense is a proven commodity. Theirs isn't. They played great tonight but over a 7 game series...we'll break them.

A quick shout out and some love to Dan Girardi.

He was COMPLETELY **** ON by Ranger fans last year. He has been nothing but SOLID for Tampa this year. We essentially swapped him for Garrison (and ditched his AWFUL contract, to boot) and as much as I cringed when Garrison played last year...I feel confident when Girardi is on the ice. He has been a GOOD player for us. We don't lose anything when he's on the ice. Good job, Dan.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:56 pm

Swashy wrote:
Buc2 wrote:

But when you've got 100+ years of tradition...

Not even close.

It's hockey, if hockey were played in mud instead of ice. And the players ran, instead of skated.

I quoted the one thing they have in common.

Go start your own kickball thread.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:00 pm

Swashy wrote:If Vasilevskiy keeps this up he's going to have a chance to break the all time record for wins in a season.

Looking forward to see how Vasy gets screwed out of the Vezina Trophy this year because he's a rookie.

:evil:
Alpha

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:23 pm

Sweet

The shutout was Vasilevskiy's League-leading sixth of the season.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Kress » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:29 am

Swashy wrote:
Buc2 wrote:

Soccer has too many people on the field to make it exciting. I think there should be designated defenders who can't cross the line, and vice versa. Open it up. There's nothing much exciting about great footwork that ends in a 0-0 tie.
Kress

Postby Teitan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:25 am

Also make the field smaller. And let those ******* hit each other
Teitan

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:43 am

**** soccer. As "beautiful" of a sport it can be at brief times, the constant flopping to gain a competitive advantage makes it unwatchable for me unless it's a huge stage. It's why I don't watch regular season NBA either for the most part. It's not worth watching 2-3 hours of flopping hoping for a few displays of athletic brilliance.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:39 am

DreadNaught wrote:**** soccer. As "beautiful" of a sport it can be at brief times, the constant flopping to gain a competitive advantage makes it unwatchable for me unless it's a huge stage. It's why I don't watch regular season NBA either for the most part. It's not worth watching 2-3 hours of flopping hoping for a few displays of athletic brilliance.

Pro basketball = 0 defense
Pro soccer = 0 offense
Can't stand to watch either.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:51 pm

Buc2 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:**** soccer. As "beautiful" of a sport it can be at brief times, the constant flopping to gain a competitive advantage makes it unwatchable for me unless it's a huge stage. It's why I don't watch regular season NBA either for the most part. It's not worth watching 2-3 hours of flopping hoping for a few displays of athletic brilliance.

Pro basketball = 0 defense
Pro soccer = 0 offense
Can't stand to watch either.

You didn't see the women's world cup final between the US and Germany.

Chicks were concussed and bleeding in that one. Made the Premier league look like a bunch of *******.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Swashy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:55 pm

Alpha wrote:
Swashy wrote:If Vasilevskiy keeps this up he's going to have a chance to break the all time record for wins in a season.

Looking forward to see how Vasy gets screwed out of the Vezina Trophy this year because he's a rookie.

:evil:

WUT? Vasy has played with us for 3 years.

If there's a joke then it went over my head
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:56 pm

Alpha wrote:
Swashy wrote:
But when you've got 100+ years of tradition...

Not even close.

It's hockey, if hockey were played in mud instead of ice. And the players ran, instead of skated.

I quoted the one thing they have in common.

Go start your own kickball thread.

M-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-murica!!!!
Swashy

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports